Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armored Brigade MOD 1943

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Armored Brigade MOD 1943 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 4/8/2021 2:50:39 PM   
Mantuvec

As acclaimed as Armored Brigade is, it takes something really special to make it even greater, and the promising and straightforwardly titled mod “Armored Brigade 1943” by user KarlTaco does just that.

Similarly to the title’s recent third expansion pack Czechoslovakia - Netherlands, and KarlTaco’s previous work Factions Plus with astonishing 13 new non-European factions, AB1943 also delivers fresh armies and battlefields to Armored Brigade’s growing menagerie of content. Unlike the nation pack however, new mod carry us outside of the Cold War, directly to the largest military confrontation in human history: the Eastern Front.

Over the course of four years, more than 400 Red Army and Axis divisions clashed in a series of operations along a front that extended for more than 1,500 kilometres. It was by far the deadliest single theatre of the European portion of World War II with up to 15 million military deaths combined on the Axis and Soviet sides, and the additional civilian loss of life ranging from about 14 to 17 million.

The fighting on the Eastern Front was terrible, incessant and brutal beyond belief as both sides fought with demonic fury. The conflict encompassed the largest armored clash in history (Battle of Kursk) and the most costly siege on a modern city (nearly 900 days in Leningrad), as well as scorched earth policies, utter devastation of thousands of villages and towns, and countless atrocities attributed to both sides.

Soviet Guards heavy tank regiments used the IS-2 extensively in the assaults on the fortress cities of Budapest, Breslau, and Berlin. These vehicles featured thick white stripes for quick identification by other Soviet tank crews.

As colossal as the conflict it tries to faithfully portray, AB1943 comes with over 500 unique and accurately researched units and aircraft, and it offers players a reason to play Armored Brigade with a level of quality that makes it easy to forget it isn't an official expansion. In addition to the novel time frame, changes to gameplay and overall enjoyability feels incredibly understated. A particular focus is provided to the infantry combat, more so than vehicle-centric Cold War. Infantry can move slightly faster, and are marginally more vulnerable, resulting in a more dynamic small arms skirmishes. Tanks can now be extremely intimidating steel beasts, if you can only confront them with a handful of satchel charges and flamethrowers, but in turn they are very deficient in vision and range compared to more technologically advanced successors. Radios are less common, especially for Soviet units. To compensate for the sake of the player, all order delays are slightly shorter.

In World War II Germany's doctrine of mobile warfare dominated the battlefield. By trial and error, the Germans were the first to correctly combine the strength in tanks and in mobile infantry and artillery. This integration of mobile units, equipment and tactics underpinned Germany's successes in the first half of the war. As the war dragged on, the Allies sought to emulate German tactics but German armies remained supreme in this type of warfare until their losses had seriously degraded their capabilities.

Another novelty are motorized units, with trucks, jeeps and Kübelwagens. Wartime organisations, individual weapons (including the designations) and their characteristics have all been adjusted to provide an authentic and unique approach to World War Two experience that haven’t been seen on the wargaming scene for a long time, despite an abundance of titles.

The mod currently comes with three factions (regular Red Army, Guards units and Wehrmacht) but more are planned, inclusive of Western Allies. The time span, also scheduled for expansion, currently covers the period from summer of 1943 to the end of the war. Until the autumn of 1942, the German army was consistently victorious. Europe was under the German domination, from France in the west to the Volga River in the east; from the Arctic Circle in Norway to the shores of North Africa. The battle for the city of Stalingrad proved a decisive psychological turning point, ending a string of German victories in the summer of 1942 and beginning the long retreat westward that would end with Nazi Germany's surrender in May 1945.

The 88mm Flak 36 was an anti-aircraft weapon that also functioned as a superbly effective anti-tank weapon. Few weapons developed a more deadly reputation, with long reach and lethal hitting power making it a significant problem for every type of armour.

The Soviets also bring a respectable air force and truly fearsome artillery to bear, and so German players have to be careful when committing to an offensive, particularly in the later phases of the conflict. Compared to the Cold War, the battlefield is less lethal and slower paced at long distances, but offsets with brutal and intimately close combat.

Overall, this mod brings a lot of novelty to the Armored Brigade, and it might even tackle the curiosity of those who prefer modern warfare. Being a massive effort, it certainly deserves abundant praise, particularly since it was made by a single man. And I am sure he will gladly accept any feedback or suggestions, which certainly won’t lack given the number of World War Two enthusiasts out there.

One-Oh-Nine: Messerschmitt's killing machine hunting down a Soviet Il-2 Sturmovik.

More information and download links can be found on the Armored Brigade Steam Workshop and on our dedicated Forum
Post #: 1
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 4/8/2021 3:08:57 PM   
JDLgnd

Thanks for the mod.

(in reply to Mantuvec)
Post #: 2
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 7/8/2021 7:43:00 PM   
kevinkins

Downloaded this ambitious mod just today. Are there any maps that go with the '43 era in WW2? For example, areas of Russia? Not a big deal since I will enjoy the mod over the weekend in any case. I know there is a map making tutorial. Has the tutorial been taken advantage of? Map making might just be too time consuming for players. And I understand.

Thanks in advance.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to JDLgnd)
Post #: 3
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 1/8/2022 11:04:23 AM   
PanzerCro

Sorry for asking stupid question, but I did subscribe to this MOD, and can't find it in the game ?!?

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 4
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 1/8/2022 3:49:00 PM   
budd

When you start the game, click on settings in the game menu. From the drop down database box select the mod you want to play, then start the game.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 5
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 1/9/2022 12:02:06 PM   
Hoeist6634

Sorry for another silly question; downloaded this mod, but don't know where I have to install it. Can you explain that to me?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 6
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 1/9/2022 3:38:32 PM   
budd

I use the Steam version now, but here are instructions from the dev's regarding non-Steam version.

"Yes, unzip it to the Armored Brigade\data\database folder. When you start the game, select Change Settings, and on the next screen, on the left where it says Database: use the drop down menu and select AB1943.

(although I would recommend using Steam if possible until CarlTaco update his repository, if it it true that this version is missing flags)"

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Hoeist6634)
Post #: 7
RE: Armored Brigade MOD 1943 - 1/14/2022 7:47:53 AM   
PanzerCro

Thanks ! I figured it out in meantime :)

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Armored Brigade >> Armored Brigade MOD 1943 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI