Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/24/2021 4:27:20 PM   
Rasputitsa

Progressing through this AAR to show some of the changes in v3.10, but the update is not complete, so other features and changes might appear.

Going into some detail to show as much as possible of the features and effects in the game, especially as the game Manual has not been updated from the first issue, so I hope this AAR will highlight the features in the game, including the changes and additions in v3.10.

CHEMKID map and counter mods installed, but using own mod town 'banner' files to show town names, red for Coalition control, blue for French control.

1805 Variant – CHARLES REPLACES MACK IN BAVARIA

Scenario Description - This scenario starts October 3rd and ends October 24th. It is a variant of the 1805 scenario whereby the Austrians have put their main effort on the Danube and Charles has accepted command. Additional forces are also now available to the Austrian forces.

The Austrians in this scenario are advancing more methodically and awaiting Russian forces coming from Poland.

Game settings : Coalition Solitaire, French AI, Hidden Enemy, Randomised Leadership (v3.10), Campaign option selected

Game scale :

CotD, uses a ground scale of 9 kilometres ( 5.5 miles) per hex, the unit of manoeuvre is the division and the time scale is single day turns that tick by in 24, 1 hour pulses.

The game is played over the map road-net and towns, with all movement on the roads. The game is mainly at the operational level, with tactical inputs to a battle resolution procedure, whenever significant combat occurs. Smaller skirmishes, units retreats, supply capture and enemy contacts are resolved by the AI during Turn Resolution and notified by message.

This may seem limiting, but many campaigns and battles of the period were fought over the roads and towns, with 'Waterloo' fought on the high road to Brussels and 'Quatre Bras' over the important crossroads. Whilst 'Borodino' was fought on the high road to Moscow and 'Gettysburg' shows the importance of the road layout in initiating a major 3 day battle.

Overall, the game system works well at the scale which is being represented, with unit movement and logistics, represented by actual supply depots and supply convoys, realistically reproduced.

'Neutral handicap', which is self explanatory

'Hidden Enemy', v3.10 has greater FOW, in that the unit stack number indication does not function, unless you have friendly units in the same hex, otherwise nearby sighted enemy units only show as one counter, although many more could be in the visible hex. Conversely in v3.10, during 'Turn Resolution' enemy units can sometimes be visible whilst they are moving, but FOW descends again when entering the following 'Orders Phase'. This visibility is limited and you won't see much of the enemy army, under 'Hidden Enemy'.

Using 'Randomised Leaders' (new in v3.10), where corps commander attributes can vary randomly from the historical values at scenario start, and the 'Campaign' option, which extends the scenario end date from October 24th, until December 5th 1805.

With these settings game time is 3rd October 1805 – 5th December 1805 – starts 'At War'

The main Austrian forces are concentrated on MUNICH and Russian forces under KUTUSOV at LINZ, with further Russian forces under BUXHOWDEN at BRUNN.

There are no Coalition reinforcements, but individual replacement points will appear in the Coalition Army Commander (CHARLES) information panel during the game. These replacements can be distributed to units which have deficiencies and are also within about (5) hexes of the LOC. The replacement points are distributed as (1) point for an infantry replacement, (2) for cavalry and (3) for artillery (new in v3.10). The 'View Units' panel, available from each corps commanders' information box, shows which units 'Need' replacements. When a unit qualifies for replacements and is in range of the LOC, then the 'Add Replacements' button, in the unit information panel, is highlighted and functions to 'add replacements'.

Speed of Playback Movement set (15), so that I can see what is happening during AI turn resolution. Especially as the FOW breaks slightly during turn resolution (in v3.10) and you may see enemy units whilst they are moving and before the full FOW is restored at the completion of turn resolution. This is useful low level intelligence.

NAPOLEON believed in 'Information Superiority', keeping a card index of enemy forces and also a similar index of his own units, so the information available in CotD is reasonably in line with historical reality, in as much as any game can be.

House Rules : self imposed

'To the guns', not used for the Coalition, to represent the lack of co-ordination
No 'Forced March' for Austrian Corps until corps 'Stress' is +10 and panic sets in. (excluding Russian corps and Austrian detached units)
(The Coalition movements were historically slower than the French, but they were often able to out-march the French when escaping)

From the Coalition Army Commander's (CHARLES) info panel :

Coalition 'Lines of Communication' (LOC) at LINZ (1000 supply points) – is 'Operating' (means that supply lines to the rear [VIENNA] are open)
Hospital is at LINZ
Replacements (0)
CHARLES' Administration level (7)

The basic game is very historical and most people want to play NAPOLEON, why wouldn't you, getting the NAPOLEON and French Imperial Guard battle bonuses and you have the better corps commanders, with the Coalition there to get a good kicking.

You have to do something really stupid to lose as French.

However, what about replay, how many times can you steamroller the Coalition ?

Playing the Coalition provides more challenge and now, with v3.10, there are 'Randomised Leadership' and 'Randomise Scenario' options. You now have to pay more attention to the condition of your corps commanders, because an army once broken is difficult to fix, which is very painfully historical.

Are these particular scenario set-up choices completely historical, maybe not, but it should be more fun and it is good to have more choice (v3.10), if you like having your plans derailed.

…...................................................

So starting the game,

Deployment Turn - 2nd October 1805 – Weather Clear

This opening turn cannot be saved, so I am calling it the 'Deployment Turn', as it is only the next turn and after the first 'Turn Resolution' phase that the game can be saved.

Additionally the game screen opens on 2nd. October when the scenario is posted as starting on 3rd. October, which will be the next turn and can be saved.

The game is split into the 'Orders Phase', where you can see your army and unit state, issue orders to your corps commanders on objectives, march urgency, enemy contact stance, detach/reattach/transfer individual divisional/brigade units, or monitor and manage supply.

Then there is the 'Combat Phase', turn resolution, in which the AI moves both sides' units simultaneously (WEGO), enacting orders, resolves skirmishes and, when appropriate, presents battles to be resolved after the player has selected a battle strategy.

CHARLES is in command of Coalition forces and has not deployed so far forward as MACK did historically, with a better chance of receiving support from the first approaching Russian corps (KUTUSOV), set to arrive near the frontier with Bavaria.

Friendly forces :

KIENMAYER I Corps at MUNICH
REISCH V Corps at MUNICH
WERNECK II Corps at MUNICH
JELLACIC VI Corps at MUNICH
BELLEGARDE VII Corps at BRAUNAU

KUTUSOV I C Corps at LINZ
BUXHOWDEN IIC Corps at BRUNN

Reinforcements

None

Enemy forces :

BERNADOTTE I Corps
MARMONT II Corps
DAVOUT III Corps
SOULT IV Corps
LANNES V Corps
NEY VI Corps
MURAT CavR Corps

Reinforcements

AUGEREAU VII Corps
BESSIERES Guard Corps

Set Supply Control – 'Computer' in CHARLES' info panel, leave LOC and Hospital at LINZ for now.

MUNICH supply depot (1500) is vulnerable, so immediately send (500) back to LOC LINZ and place all nearby corps on MUNICH supply to use up this depot. Although I have set 'computer controlled supply', the player can still order supply convoys to towns and corps of choice.

Send supply (500) from KREMS to LOC LINZ, before roads clogged by BUXHOWDEN's movements
Send supply (500) from LOC LINZ to SCHRAEDING to act as a forward depot

Supply orders cannot be cancelled so get it right !

Once supply is set in motion it cannot be stopped, except that convoys will try and avoid enemy units by stopping, or finding an alternative route, but they can also be lost to enemy action. Similarly, your units may capture enemy supply depots, or supply convoys, notified by message. With computer controlled supply selected, the AI will try to send captured supply to the rear, or set up a town depot, so look out for random supply depots, that you might want to direct elsewhere.

Previous versions of the game allowed for supply convoys up to (1000) points to be created, which was questionable to have a convoy that large, so now player created convoys can still be set for such high figures, but the AI supply system will only respond to player orders with a series of reasonably sized convoys, until the supply request is filled (v3.10).

When set at 'computer controlled supply' the AI will restrict its own supply movements to a series of more historically sized supply convoys (v3.10).

I am going to experiment more with the 'Transfer' option, to see how the game reacts.

Re-organise REISCH as a 'Cavalry Corps', which is not historically correct, but I am exploring the capabilities of the game system. Using 'transfer' to take out infantry divisions and replace with spare cavalry divisions from other corps. This leaves REISCH with (6) cavalry units and the corps artillery, whilst his infantry units are spread around the other corps, whilst not wanting to overload any individual commander, the spare (Auffenberg) will later attach to CHARLES.

CHARLES has been closely observing the Corsican Upstart's methods and is determined to beat him at his own game !

REISCH will match MURAT's French Cavalry Corps, as any arms race can consist of copying enemy doctrine, even though this one was unlikely, it will be interesting to see how the game handles it.

I will use REISCH to probe and menace the flanks, a bit like 'Jeb' STUART in the later ACW and I need to get early warning of the French approach and maybe disrupt some of their supply depots.

Orders :

Reorganise forces at MUNICH, as above.
Transfer Nostitz cavalry from KIENMAYER to REISCH
Transfer Vogel cavalry from WERNECK to REISCH
Transfer Gyulay infantry from REISCH to KIENMAYER
Transfer Loudon infantry from REISCH to JELLACIC
Transfer Dinersberg cavalry from WERNECK to REISCH

Change – WERNECK now looks too heavy, check leader attributes set with 'Randomised Leadership' and monitor situation (WERNECK was always a big corps, but commander attributes may change and he may become overloaded)

Note : you can send multiple orders to corps and detached units and there is supposed to be a limit to the number of messengers you have each turn, but I have not seen a limit. Sometimes messages go astray (enemy action) and multiple/changed orders might not arrive in the correct sequence, whilst the corps/detached units will try and follow the last order received, but is that the order you meant to be the last? So, best to keep it simple (realistic), with the fewer order changes as possible, which I constantly fail to achieve.

Auffenberg infantry division 'detach', to (28,18), 'fall-back' contact stance, 'forced' march urgency, expecting to eventually attach to CHARLES as a reserve, when closer.

Transfers are immediate and you can see the result in the corps commanders 'View Units' panel straight away. However, if the transferred units are not close to the receiving commander, then that corps commander may be drawn away from the main part of his corps, in trying to be close to his newly acquired unit(s).

So it is best to move units which are about to be transferred closer to the receiving corps, by 'detached' orders, until they are nearer (4 hexes, or less) and have come under the new corps commanders influence range.

I am doing these transfers whilst the Austrian corps are together in MUNICH, as it is best not to confuse things by transferring at a distance.

I will watch the effects of these transfers, against the effects on commander attributes and morale, in case of commander overload. I could also use CHARLES' influence to maintain corps commanders' attribute level, by attaching him to any corps.

The game provides flexible controls, but we will see how it works out ! You don't get to drop your unit counters just where you want them, you have to get your subordinate commanders to do that for you, but an exhausting horse ride away and probably facing a situation that you cannot see.

FOW is working at all levels in this game, corps commanders are not automatons, just slavishly following your orders and will choose different actions in some circumstances, so check corps commanders and detached unit objectives, morale and stress levels, they may be doing something completely different from that ordered. It may look good on the HQ map, but the guy in the mud, surrounded by lancers may have other ideas. When you click on an individual unit, route markers show briefly on the map and is this the movement you wanted, or is this unit heading back? Usually it might be heading back for the designated corps retreat point (hope you kept that updated), or the LOC.

Strategy

The overall intent is to move forward to the River Iser, expecting a concentration and action in the triangle REGENSBERG/ LANDSHUT/DEGGENDORF.

Orders :

REISCH to AUGSBURG, contact stance 'defend', march urgency 'regular' (but shows as 'cautious'?), set supply from MUNICH, retreat point is also set as MUNICH.

KUTUSOV to SCHREADING, defend, regular march, supply from LOC LINZ, retreat point SCHRAEDING
BUXHOWDEN to KREMS, defend, forced (shows regular ?), supply BRUNN, retreat KREMS
WERNECK to LANDSHUT, defend, forced (shows regular?), supply MUNICH, retreat BRAUNAU
KIENMAYER to FREISING, defend, regular (shows cautious?), supply MUNICH, retreat BRAUNAU

Trying to space movements on the same road, by varying march urgency.

BELLEGARDE to LANDAU, defend, regular march, supply BRAUNAU, retreat BRAUNAU
CHARLES attached to BELLEGARDE, but expecting to transfer to WERNECK at LANDSHUT, as movements develop.

Could have left CHARLES detached/independent at BRAUNAU, to move forward later, there should be no danger in him being alone at this stage, but ...

JELLACIC defend MUNICH, regular, supply MUNICH, retreat MUNICH
JELLACIC will remain in MUNICH to cover the supply depot, until it is removed.

Reserve infantry units x3 at VIENNA to LINZ, fallback, regular march
Reserve cavalry units x2 at VIENNA to LINZ, fallback, forced march (house rule does not apply to detached units)
Engineers at LINZ to PASSAU, fallback, regular (I might want to blow some bridges to hinder the French)

It may seem at first sight that, as the computer is doing all the unit moving, that there doesn't seem much to do, but as can be seen, there is a lot for the player to work through in getting an army moving. The choices you make in contact stance and march urgency could have a big effect later, where the wrong order can result in a 'Charge of the Light Brigade' situation.

Unable to save, so go to 'End Orders' and move through 'Turn Resolution' to Turn 01.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/10/2021 6:59:23 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Post #: 1
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/24/2021 6:04:51 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 01 - 3rd Oct 1805 – Weather raining, roads are clear

Rain will affect combat, reducing the effect of fire weapons, muskets and artillery, but it will need several days of rain to affect the roads and delay movement.

500 supplies MUNICH to LOC LINZ
500 supplies from KREMS to LOC LINZ
500 supplies from LOC LINZ to SCHRAEDING

CHARLES attributes 7/8/7 (unchanged)

LOC LINZ (910) – Operating (supply lines to the rear (VIENNA) are open)
Hospital LINZ
Replacements (0)
Administration (7)

I cannot see the additional supply movements that I ordered yet, but the AI's own supply system is starting up, with convoys beginning to move out from the LOC and VIENNA.

BUXHOWDEN has moved from BRUNN already – orders delay ??
May be operating under prior scenario orders

Checking each commanders' info panel to see the level of stragglers and stress and to make sure the individual orders are correctly shown, either to see if I have made a mistake, or if commanders are using their own initiative and doing something else.

I am keeping a record of each corps commander attributes/status, etc., but too much info for this purpose.

Forgot to order WERNECK to move during the initial deployment turn so, WERNECK to LANDSHUT, defend, regular march, retreat point BRAUNAU, supply from MUNICH.

At least the delay allows KIENMAYER to get to FREISING unobstructed, to be able to cover the river crossing there, which is what I intended all along ! (Montgomery).

Using the 'experimental' REISCH Cavalry Corps to threaten AUGSBURG to create a distraction, whilst the other corps of the Austrian army gather around FREISING/LANDSHUT/LANDAU, waiting for the Russians to arrive.

I need to monitor how the corps commanders are reacting (attributes and stress) to the reorganisation and that they are able to manage their corps, noting that keeping the army commander (CHARLES) close by, will give a bonus to any corps commanders that need it.

Auffenburg (detached) is on the move to towards CHARLES, intended as a reserve, whilst the other cavalry and infantry reserve units have left VIENNA, so everything seem to be responding to orders, except that there is a delay on player ordered supply movements, which is only to be expected.

This turn has been merely monitoring, no action required.

Setting the map to look at AUGSBURG, where I expect first contact and hit 'End Orders'.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/25/2021 3:55:58 AM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/24/2021 6:13:15 PM   
carll11

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/24/2021 7:18:28 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 02 - 4th Oct 1805 – Weather clear, roads are clear. (the message panel background also shows weather background)

During movement I see FREISING change control to the Coalition.

Supply (13) captured by KIENMAYER (at FREISING)

KIENMAYER has captured FREISING, and a small French supply depot, whilst WERNECK has just left MUNICH, due to my error in delaying his orders. REISCH is just outside AUGSBURG, with no sign yet of the enemy.

The supply movements that I ordered have just started, with a supply convoy out of MUNICH heading for LOC LINZ. I don't expect to hold MUNICH, as the Coalition concentration with the Russians is expected to be further East and I don't want to leave a large depot for the French.

You can see the Fatigue and Morale of individual units within a corps, by clicking on the unit counter and checking each units' info panel, or selecting 'View Units' from the corps commanders' panels, to have quick overview of corps unit moral and strength.

The weather is clear again, but a taste of what the rain can do and the weather can only get worse as the scenario proceeds into winter.

The leading Russian cavalry division from KUTUSOV has just reached SCHRAEDING, but BUXHOWDEN is still beyond VIENNA and, having made (6) hexes in two days and still (26) to make LINZ and be anywhere near the action. (mileage conversion and forecast days to go until arrival)

9Km x 26 Hexes = 234km (150 miles)
3 hexes per day, with rest days

BUXHOWDEN has 150 miles (234 km) to travel to LINZ and cannot be there in less than 10 days, at a good overall rate of (3) hexes a day, but with rest days and an allowance for the expected bad weather, how long might it take overall ?

He has to arrive in a state to fight and not leave his corps as stragglers on the roads back to VIENNA. Meanwhile his initial destination at LINZ is not even the present front line, however the Coalition may be forced back to meet his arrival.

I am leaving the LOC at LINZ, but setting up forward supply depots at BRAUNAU, SCHRAEDING and PASSAU, with a convoy on the way from LOC LINZ to SCHAERDING, responding to my earlier order. So, a nice mixture of background automatic AI supply to the various corps (depending on the supply source ordered) and specific supply movements ordered by me, to support my forward strategy.

The hospital may have to move forward to meet combat casualties expected, when battle is joined somewhere near LANDSHUT/LANDAU and the LOC will be needed further forward to provide replacements closer to the action.

Supply is moving towards LOC LINZ from VIENNA (AI control) and KREMS (my order), which I will need to get even further forward, but will I be victorious and moving forward (with the LOC moved to LANDAU), or falling back and need supply in the rear (LINZ) ?

Order :
Supply (100) from ENNS to LOC LINZ, might as well make use of this small depot
Supply (200) from LOC LINZ to BRAUNAU, more supply going forward

The balance is, in sending supply forward, but not risking too much near the front, in case a retreat is needed and this scenario may go all the way back to VIENNA, if the battles don't go well.

I don't want to feed a French advance with Coalition supply, rather a 'scorched earth' strategy (burn depot option), if it come to that !

I also have to decide whether to shift KUTUSOV towards PASSAU, or SCHAERDING ? Which side of the Danube to enter the battle area, but it is difficult to decide strategy when no enemy is visible

There's not much to do at this stage, other than let the orders play out and prepare for any eventualities.

I know that the French will be crossing the Danube, but don't know where they will appear, as it varies each time the scenario is played. CHARLES needs to hold an advanced position on the left, until the large supply depot at MUNICH is recovered, then he can start to concentrate further East and closer to the approaching Russians, if the Emperor will grant the time for this strategy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/25/2021 8:27:40 AM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 12:20:51 PM   
altipueri

I'm pining for the update.

Whatever happened to Chemkid? Was he cancelled?

Ageod had a contributor who added many good things to their first American Civil War game, but then there was a spat of the type that wargamers specialize in and so he flounced out and deleted about a thousand posts and links.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 12:29:00 PM   
altipueri

"You have to do something really stupid to lose as French."

I've done it, many times.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 12:33:09 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 03 - 5th Oct 1805 - Weather rain, roads are clear

Supply (31) captured by REISCH (at AUGSBURG)

LOC at LINZ (401) – 'Operating' (supply lines to the rear are open)
Hospital at LINZ
Replacements (3)
Administration (7)

No sign of the French, or where will their weight fall, because until their intentions are known CHARLES cannot decide on a concentration point.

REISCH is in AUGSBURG
BELLEGARDE is in LANDAU
WERNECK is moving towards LANDSHUT
KUTUSOV has closed up at SCHAERDING
BUXHOWDEN is near VIENNA

CHARLES is getting replacements (3)

Supply has reached SCHRAEDING to open a depot in this town, so switch KUTUSOV to supply from SCHRAEDING, but where next to set up a depot, DEGGENDORF, or LANDAU.

STRAUBING is still under Coalition control, so no French movement there.

KUTUSOV to defend crossroads (31,12), regular march, supply PASSAU, retreat PASSAU
I am moving KUTUSOV to the crossroads near DEGGENDORF, to be available on the flank of any French movement from ECKMUHL and I decide to select the next supply depot at PASSAU, leaving the new depot building at SCHAERDING for BELLEGARDE.

Do I send forward the supply (596) at KREMS, or leave it as a contingency, if things go badly ?

The MUNICH depot has been reduced to supply (959), but must keep keep it moving.

LANDSHUT is a gap, but Klenau cavalry should be there next turn and I will have the main River Iser crossings covered.

CHARLES should move to LANDSHUT when it's safe, to be in a central position and reduce orders delay.

A screen is forming on the River Iser, with WERNECK moving in to complete the line at LANDSHUT, delayed by one day because of my oversight, delaying the order. I don't necessarily intend to hold this line and may well pull back when the large supply depot at MUNICH is moved and the supply convoys heading back no longer need to be covered.

REISCH should not advance beyond AUGSBURG, as the converging roads could bring French forces from any direction to cut him off, but I will detach units to probe further. Likewise, I will detach cavalry units from the forces on the River Iser to probe for the approach of enemy units.

CHARLES need to know the line of approach of the advancing French units before committing himself to a Coalition concentration and junction with the approaching Russians of KUTUSOV's large corps.

Meanwhile he does not relish the prospect of a withdrawal, when the rainy weather may start at any time, turning the roads to mud and making any movement into a nightmare.

It is ominously quiet in the countryside ahead of the Austrians, but I know that it will not stay that way, as there is an army out there and where does the Emperor intend to strike ?

Orders go out to detach the cavalry divisions,

Klenau (detach from WERNECK), to crossroads (22,12), fallback, forced march
O'Reilly (detach from BELLEGARDE ), to STRAUBING, fallback, forced march
Rosenberg (detach from JELLACIC), to crossroads (18,16), fallback, forced march
Caramelli (detach from KIENMAYER), to crossroads (20,13), fallback, forced march

All cavalry units with 'fallback' orders, as it is not intended to fight, but only to observe.

I have a forward screen forming, although I could have issued those orders yesterday and got the cavalry moving sooner. Must do better, time is precious.

NAPOLEON quote : 'The greatest general is he who makes the fewest mistakes'

REISCH, at AUGSBURG, is changed to 'withdraw', as there is no intention to hold AUGSBURG, merely to tempt the French away from the centre, observe the flank and cover the removal of supply from MUNICH.

REISCH still has the' retreat point' as MUNICH, so if confronted, he should withdraw back towards MUNICH and, as mainly cavalry, should be able to disengage from any significant attack, without serious loss.

'Contact stance' corps orders are important, as they dictate how units will behave when they encounter enemy forces. I am mostly using 'defend' orders, as this avoids corps getting diverted from objectives and avoids getting too deeply involved in battles.

'Engage' contact stance means that the corps will seek out the enemy and attack, which you may want, but they may ignore the set objective to go after (chase) the enemy, which you may not want.

Corps contact stance also results in different battle strategy options if a battle is triggered, with 'engage' stance giving assault type battle options, whilst 'defend' contact stance results in defend and withdraw type options. Be careful what contact stance you select, as you may get drawn into a battle strategy that you did not want.

The battle strategy options available will also depend on the 'battle' attributes of the commander designated to control the battle, as commanders with lower attributes will not be able to use some battle strategies Here the army commander is useful, as with NAPOLEON's, or CHARLES', higher attributes, they can enact the more effective battle strategies.

Keeping your Army Commander near the centre of action, shortens orders delay and influences other nearby commander attributes, but the trick is knowing where the centre of action is going to be.

Depending on corps commanders morale, they will follow your contact stance orders, or as morale fades, they will set their own stance and maybe withdraw. They may also not pass your orders on to their corps units and give other orders to their divisions. So, it is useful to cycle through corps commanders and subordinate units to see what orders are being enacted and you may need to re-order what you need.

What to do with JELLACIC in MUNICH ? He is acting as distant support for REISCH at AUGSBURG, or could assist KIENMAYER at FREISING and is also covering the road from INGOLSTADT direct into MUNICH, protecting the MUNICH supply depot whilst it is being moved back and has a retreat path back to BRAUNAU.

So JELLACIC is well placed, but cannot do anything in a hurry (especially if it rains), so should I leave him there, or move him closer to where he can be of more immediate use.

The French have 7 corps, with more coming, so have more flexibility and can attack on many routes, so can I afford to leave a corps in such a deep position ?

I decide to wait and see what comes from the cavalry probes, but realise that I could have detached Rosenberg cavalry (from JELLACIC) on the INGOLSTADT road two days ago (JELLACIC was stopped at MUNICH going nowhere) and I would not now be so blind to the FOW in the Danube valley, where I am sure that masses of men are moving !

With this plan, there is little to do but to await events, but CHARLES is uneasy, as he knows that NAPOLEON’s strategy does not include waiting.

Concerned that nothing is yet visible and trying to judge deployments on no firm information, I hit 'end orders' and see what tomorrow brings

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/25/2021 1:31:26 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 7
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 1:21:09 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I'm pining for the update.

Whatever happened to Chemkid? Was he cancelled?

Ageod had a contributor who added many good things to their first American Civil War game, but then there was a spat of the type that wargamers specialize in and so he flounced out and deleted about a thousand posts and links.

CHEMKID left the forum, but I don't know why and his email is not active anymore.

I think lockdown has affected us all, I certainly find it difficult to hide behind the computer when the family is in need. Frank is still working on the CotD update, with plans for more scenarios and I hope this AAR will show the changes so far.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 1:54:42 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

"You have to do something really stupid to lose as French."

I've done it, many times.

I am good at stupid, recently went confidently into battle with NAPOLEON as commander, expecting an easy win and got pummelled.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 3/25/2021 1:58:59 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 04 - 6th Oct 1805 – Weather raining, roads are clear

Supply (200) moving from LOC LINZ to BRAUNAU
Supply (100) moving from ENNS to LOC LINZ

The above is in response to my supply orders

At last the enemy is now in sight, MURAT's Cavalry Reserve Corps appears in force on the River Leeb, coming from ULM, whilst REISCH, who has not yet received his changed 'withdraw' orders (orders delay) has moved out of the city to confront the French cavalry, at the river crossing.

The two cavalry corps are about to clash.

I see only two French counters, but I know that during turn resolution there were a large number of French units involved, so behind the French cavalry pickets REISCH knows that a full corps is gathering. (Stack numbers new in v3.10 – only see stack numbers where friendly units are present in the same hex, but FOW breaks slightly during turn resolution).

WERNECK has made very little progress and the gap at LANDSHUT is still open.

None of the cavalry probes have crossed the River Iser yet (orders delay again), so paying the price of the day's delay in issuing the orders.

So what does this mean, where is the weight of the Emperor's advance, because as the map shows, the French could appear on many routes.

I wish that I had got the cavalry probes out sooner, because the French main force is still hidden and, if the rain continues, quick movements will not be possible.

REISCH's move into AUGSBURG has left the side road behind his route uncovered, I should have sent a detached unit along this road, because if the French appear on this road, then REISCH could be cut-off.

I have played these scenarios several times and the AI is unpredictable, so you cannot expect the same situation to develop, you have to be ready for the unexpected.

I am expecting more French forces to appear from INGOLSTADT and REGENSBERG, but which French corps will be on which road is unknown and some corps are more powerful than others. Then there is the 'Randomised Leadership' (v3.10) option, so which will be the most dangerous opponent.

I keep feeling that I should have done everything yesterday !

NAPOLEON quote : 'Forethought we may have, undoubtedly, but not foresight'.

Obviously I am not using enough forethought and is the AI going to make me pay for that ?

WERNECK is moving so slowly, as although he has a 'regular' march urgency he has his units on 'slow'.
Commanders have their own characters and responses to situations and do not always just do as you order, they sometimes take their own choices. This can be frustrating , but realistic.

WERNECK corps supply (32) is falling, but not dangerous yet, keep checking.
Even under computer controlled supply I can still direct a specific supply convoy to WERNECK, if he is selected to receive supply from the LOC LINZ

CHARLES needs to get over there and speed things up, but where to be, with WERNECK in the centre, or with BELLEGARDE and KUTUSOV where the Coalition striking power is developing ?

Decide to move CHARLES to a more central position, with the intention of joining WERNECK in LANDSHUT, but I have to ensure a route on the safe side of the river, so set CHARLES to 'No Attachment' and objective as the crossroads (hex 26,17), intending to move the objective to LANDSHUT, once CHARLES is established on the correct route.

First contact with the enemy, but the overall situation is still unclear, so waiting for the cavalry probes to get under-way and see what appears.

KUTUSOV, with the large Russian I Corps is approaching, but another 3/4 days before they are in the battle area, so the priority is to continue to remove the large supply depot from MUNICH, withdraw the left wing and concentrate around LANDSHUT.

Select 'End Orders'

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/25/2021 2:19:58 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 10
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 12:45:56 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 05 - 7th Oct 1805 – Weather clear, roads still clear

Supply (20) captured by WERNECK (maybe French convoy moving supplies into AUGSBURG)
Cavalry skirmish (12,17)
Vogel dislodged and forced to retreat (12,17)

REISCH did not contest the river crossing near AUGSBURG, whilst detached Cavalry units, have crossed the River Iser, along the main front, to probe and screen against the arriver of the French.

REISCH now displays the 'withdraw' order, but has the objective of AUGSBURG, so he will stay in the city, but not fight too hard if MURAT presses forward. REISCH's task is to delay and not to risk a battle, whilst he is vulnerable from being outflanked.

Vogel, was forced back outside AUGSBURG and has now set his own objective as MUNICH (the retreat point for his corps – REISCH Cav Corps), even though still fresh and confident, so he must be brought back under control.

WERNECK has reached LANDSHUT to complete the defence on the River Iser and his cavalry division is probing across the river seeking out the approaching enemy.

CHARLES has reached his central position and can move towards any threatened corps, whilst
Auffenburg infantry is transferred to CHARLES as a reserve.

Supplies (450) from MUNICH to LOC LINZ, leaving enough for REISCH/JELLACIC in the MUNICH depot.

BUXHOWDEN, who is on march urgency Regular, has his leading cavalry nearly at KREMS, but his infantry is trailing back near VIENNA, with (4) stragglers, all infantry.

I decide to leave BUXHOWDEN to decide on rest days, as his units are still showing as 'fresh'.

Overall stragglers and fatigue have reduced as the corps are mainly now in position and not moving, except that REISCH has suffered (1) straggler (with Loundon), whilst sitting still guarding MUNICH, must be the Bierkellers.

WERNECK is low on supply (24), but has a convoy (32) passing FREISING.

BUXHOWDEN is changed to take supply from the depot at KREMS.

REISCH received the order from CHARLES in time, which changed his contact stance from 'defend' into 'withdraw' and REISCH withdrew his divisions into AUGSBURG and did not contest the crossing of the River Leeb. The removal of supply from MUNICH is going well, with just (537) left to take out and I ordered another (450) moved this turn, leaving enough to provide supply for REISCH and JELLACIC.

With this large supply depot removed from MUNICH, CHARLES will not be forced to hold on to this extended flank position and can concentrate towards the centre and nearer to the oncoming Russians.

REISCH just needs to delay MURAT's approach and avoid getting caught in a major battle, except that I may make MURAT fight for MUNICH, as a delaying tactic, but must avoid leaving any damaged units to be harried in retreat by the French cavalry. Battle would only be justified if it delays, or damages MURAT, so that he cannot organise a vigorous pursuit.

Checking the map and Army Commander's info panel for the supply situation and decide to take the supply (400) at OLMUTZ, which is way back on the North-east edge of the map and send it to LOC LINZ. There are other supply depots spread around the map which I decide to leave in place, as a contingency, in case units are driven back to these areas.

Whilst doing this supply check, I found a lone Reserve infantry unit in VIENNA, which I missed earlier, so order to LINZ, regular/withdraw.

I have the Coalition forces spread from AUGSBURG to PASSAU and need to become more concentrated, but without any real knowledge of the French deployment it is difficult to judge where to move. I know where the French will be coming from, but not where the greatest strength will be, until I see the them.

REISCH is out on a limb and needs to start moving back, so I decide to give up AUGSBURG, which was only intended as a probe, and retire to the crossroads at (16,19), leaving his orders at regular/withdraw.

JELLACIC stays in MUNICH to be able to support REISCH, or KIENMAYER.

I feel that I should be doing more, but with no real sight of the enemy it is difficult to decide a more direct strategy, rather than just wait.

Reminder of what is coming from the French Emperor:

BERNADOTTE I Corps
MARMONT II Corps
DAVOUT III Corps
SOULT IV Corps
LANNES V Corps
NEY VI Corps
MURAT CavR Corps

Is CHARLES falling into the same trap that caught MACK and just waiting events, but I don't want to miss the chance of striking at the approaching French, maybe before they can combine. Making them fight for the river crossings may inflict significant casualties.

Decide to wait another day to see what comes of the cavalry probes, but CHARLES spends a restless night wondering what the dawn will bring !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/8/2021 1:12:56 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 1:29:11 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 06 - 8th Oct 1805 - Weather clear, roads are clear

Supply (450) sent from MUNICH to LINZ, my last movement order being enacted, but it doesn’t mean they will all be moving immediately.

The weather and roads remain clear.

French VI (NEY) Corps' cavalry seen joining MURAT's French Cavalry Reserve Corps at AUGSBURG and the leading cavalry divisions of BERNADOTTE's I Corps and MARMONT's II Corps are seen by O'Reilly at STRAUBING.

In the centre the Austrian cavalry probing divisions are out, but nothing is visible coming from INGOLSTADT, so what is the Corsican adventurer up to, where are DAVOUT and LANNES ?

KUTUSOV's cavalry has reached their objective near DEGGENDORF, with the rest of the Russian I Corps following, whilst BUXHOWDEN is just reaching KREMS, but still with his infantry trailing and showing stragglers.

This image is taken during the AI turn resolution, as units are being moved in response to your orders. During movement the FOW slips slightly and you see something more of the enemy and I identify NEY's VI Corps near AUGSBURG and MARMONT's II Corps near STRAUBING, but these will disappear as the new turn restarts, with only MURAT and BERNADOTTE still visible. It's worth watching turn resolution with speed set to see the action, I am using display (15) from settings.

So is this an encirclement and should I be drawn to attack one of the French wings ?

CHARLES looks at the map and considers the reports, deciding not to be drawn to the left flank (MUNICH/FREISING), but sees the advantage in a concentration to the right flank at (LANDAU/DEGGENDORF). Meanwhile, there are still three strong French leaders and NAPOLEON himself not accounted for and where might they appear ?

However, I am using 'Randomised Leadership', so any of these leaders could be weaker, or stronger than expected.

WERNECK is still taking his time to concentrate his corps in the defence of LANDSHUT, with his units on 'slow', whilst the corps order is 'regular'.

How much can I trust the response of my commanders ?

The plan which is forming in CHARLES' mind is to continue to withdraw the left flank (REISCH/JELLACIC), hold in the centre (KIENMAYER/WERNECK) and throw a 'right hook' with KUTUSOV and BELLEGARDE.

KUTUSOV is only just arriving and has slight fatigue, with some stragglers (4), all from the infantry

Nostitz and Dinersberg (REISCH Cavalry Corps) are showing as setting a route to MUNICH, although all listed as fresh and confident, still with the corps objective of (13,18) AUGSBURG. So, still obeying orders, but looking to the rear and an escape route to the corps retreat point, as MURAT presses on.

Yesterday I sent an order for REISCH to set the objective at (16,19), but he still has the objective of AUGSBURG, so orders delay is still hampering responses on the wide flank. There is no enemy activity which might intercept the order, but I send the order again to be sure.

I am only delaying on this flank until the supply is recovered from MUNICH.

The two Reserve Cavalry units from VIENNA are reaching LINZ and, while both are still fresh', they have stragglers (3), so I will wait for them to recover before ordering them onward.

The three following Reserve Infantry units on the same route, just past St. POLTEN, are suffering 75% stragglers, so I order objectives to stop them a day's march ahead (it will take a day at least for the order to arrive).

The reserves are travelling on the South bank of the River Danube, so as not to interfere with BUXHOWDEN using the road on the North bank, but they are all headed for LINZ, to be used as the situation develops.

Time to start JELLACIC back from MUNICH, as the supply depot empties, but which way, to BRAUNAU as a deep reserve, FREISING/LANDSHUT to support the centre, or even North to cover the road from INGOLSTADT.

I chose FREISING, where JELLACIC can concentrate with KIENMAYER and pull Rosenberg cavalry back from the detached screening position.

Order JELLACIC to FREISING, defend stance, regular urgency, supply still MUNICH, retreat point BRAUNAU.

As soon as JELLACIC is near, I can shift KIENMAYER towards LANDSHUT and begin concentrating to the right.

All of this could have been done at the beginning, by initially concentrating all units around LANDAU, but that would have risking losing the supply at MUNICH and not having the opportunity to make the French fight for the River Iser crossings.

The cavalry screening units have 'withdraw' orders, so they should just pull back on their own initiative, as the French advance and can be reattached to their parent corps when closer.

CHARLES has to decide where the critical point will be and is tempted to rejoin/attach to BELLEGARDE, but that will add further orders delay to REISCH and still not cover DAVOUT, SOULT, or LANNES when they appear.

BELLEGARDE's attributes dropped when CHARLES left him and WERNECK improved as CHARLES drew near.

CHARLES decides to head back to LANDAU, as this is where the first major clash may occur.

Should I get KIENMAYER and WERNECK moving behind the screen, shifting to the right, which will leave the crossings uncovered for periods, but the cavalry screen show no enemy movement in the centre.

Order WERNECK to (26,13), regular (he shows cautious), defend, supply BRAUNAU, retreat unchanged BRAUNAU
Order KIENMAYER to LANDSHUT, regular, defend, supply still MUNICH, retreat still BRAUNAU

I see some of the supply I have ordered from LOC LINZ to BRAUNAU passing SCHAERDING. I need to keep BRAUNAU as an advanced supply depot, if I am moving the army concentration towards the right flank. I have significant supplies placed at BRAUNAU/SCHAERDING/PASSAU and now battle is likely I order the Hospital forward to PASSAU.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/8/2021 1:51:01 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 1:46:36 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 07 - 9th Oct 1805 – Weather raining, roads still clear

Replacements available (8)
Hospital still at LINZ, not PASSAU as ordered ?
LOC 'operating' (still has communications back to VIENNA)

Cavalry skirmish at (27,12)
Cavalry skirmish at (16,19)
O'Reilly dislodged and forced to retreat (27,12)
Nostitz dislodged and forced to retreat (16,19)

The messages are showing the cavalry skirmishes and retreats near AUGSBURG and STRAUBING, which are not important enough to be fought out as battles and are resolved by the AI during turn resolution.

MUNICH supply depot is now down to (177)

French IV Corps (SOULT) appears on the INGOLDSTADT road, with more IV Corps units seen near AUGSBURG during turn resolution.

KUTUSOV almost in position near DEGGENDORF, with stragglers (5), does he need rest ?

REISCH is pulling back towards MUNICH, followed by French VI Corps and CavR Corps and needs to get through MUNICH before French IV Corps (SOULT) moves into the city from the INGOLSTADT road, as Rosenberg cavalry falls back.

French I Corps (BERNADOTTE) and II Corps (MARMONT) deployed between ECKMUHL and STRAUBING, although I cannot see II Corps, I know that it's there. Stack numbers do not trigger for enemy units unless friendly units are in the same hex (new in v3.10).

Still no sign of NAPOLEON/DAVOUT/LANNES.

O'Reilly cavalry (detached) although showing fresh and confident is indicating a route back to BRAUNAU (corps retreat point), so he is not happy, so reattach to BELLEGARDE.

Rosenberg cavalry (detached) is the same, as he also has withdrawn in the face of the advancing French cavalry (Margaron from IV Corps) and is sent back through MUNICH.

I Need to get back through MUNICH whilst road conditions are still good, now the rain started and the remaining supply depot could be burnt.

This strategy has not been very audacious, but I want to put my troops into battle under the best of circumstances, with the least handicap, least stragglers, well rested, supplied and corps concentrated on river crossings. Meeting engagements on the road, when spread out, can work out badly with corps thrust into battle unprepared.

BUXHOWDEN now has significant infantry stragglers (7) and has not yet taken a rest day on his own initiative and I could order a rest day. The march urgency stance (regular) allows for breaks during marching, with 'forced' march having less breaks and leading to more fatigue and straggling, especially in bad weather.

The rain has not affected the road state yet, whilst roads remains clear, so I am tempted to leave BUXHOWDEN to make his own decisions, with nearly a week before he can get to LINZ, which will be still some distance (at least another week marching) from the actual combat area.

So I make no changes yet and decide to wait, but note that I have to make sure that BUXHOWDEN arrives in a state to fight and does not encounter the French in a tired and extended condition, with stragglers left back along the roads from VIENNA.

I worry that the further BUXHOWDEN goes without stopping to allow his stragglers to rejoin, the further the stragglers will be left behind and the longer it will take them to eventually rejoin, but I want to see how the v3.10 game system copes with this.

I think that it might be all over by the time BUXHOWDEN arrives.

My main striking force now includes KUTUSOV's Russian IC, which has arrived near DEGGENDORF with some infantry stragglers (5), but low fatigue (1) and good supply (90). The enemy is near, but I will leave KUTUSOV there and order a 'rest day', as if attacked, KUTUSOV will still fight, just not go looking for trouble.

However, KUTUSOV's arrival is a big addition to the Coalition forces and I decided to bring him to DEGGENDORF so that he could block the route down the Danube and maybe fall on the French flank when battle is joined.

I could have sent KUTUSOV into the centre, maybe LANDSHUT, but it would have taken longer to get there and he might have marched into a deteriorating situation, with no time to rest.

So, the game is about timing and calculating the options, or more likely estimating possibilities from sparse information and although this may seem vague, it is realistic.

After a game week of uncertainty it looks like action is imminent, even though some significant French forces still have not yet been seen.

I have not attached CHARLES, now at LANDAU, with any corps, whilst waiting to see what the French intentions are, but I cannot wait long as I need CHARLES to be able to use his skills in battle.

Timing again, when to act, but I decide to let the present orders play out for another turn.

REISCH is reset to objective MUNICH, to avoid being cut of by whatever is following the French Margaron cavalry.

Auffenberg infantry is ordered to LANDAU.

Decide to attach CHARLES to BELLEGARDE and have re-ordered the Hospital to PASSAU, as maybe I did not fully complete the order last turn, when I thought it had been done.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/8/2021 1:25:40 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 13
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 2:27:16 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 08 - 10th Oct 1805 – Weather is clear, roads are clear

New Hospital set up at PASSAU
Cavalry skirmish at (17,20)
Dinersberg dislodged and forced to retreat at (17,20)

Replacement (9)
Supply in LOC LINZ (1137)
Supply (500) to BRAUNAU from LOC LINZ

Weather clear again and it will take several days of rain before the road conditions change, so a reprieve.

REISCH continues to withdrawal on MUNICH, MURAT and NEY's VI Corps following, but not pressing.

Rosenberg cavalry (detached) is keeping Margaron away from MUNICH.

The MUNICH supply depot is removed, the last convoy is on the way to LOC LINZ.

French II Corps has disappeared, French I Corps is moving on WERNECK, who is still covering LANDSHUT.

JELLACIC is nearly at FREISING, LANDSHUT has to hold !!

Should I stop WERNECK where he is ?

If MUNICH and LANDSHUT both lost then JELLACIC is trapped.

BUXHOWDEN (Russian IIC) has stopped at KREMS.

O'Reilly (detached from BELLEGARDE) is 'tired' and has set his own route back to the corps retreat point at BRAUNAU. Order O'Reilly to re-attach, before he retreats too far and the message time is 3 hours (CHARLES is close), so it should be possible to quickly get O'Reilly back under control.

I have the Engineers at PASSAU, where they will be able to destroy bridges if necessary, however, it may have been better to have sent them to one of the crossings of the River Iser to delay the French there. It's too late now to change things, so review orders :

MUNICH supply depot now empty,
REISCH take supply from BRAUNAU
JELLACIC take supply from BRAUNAU
KIENMAYER take supply from BRAUNAU

I could not decide whether to move the main LOC forward from LINZ, what if a retreat was needed and the LOC had to come back again, as this game is set as a longer scenario (campaign) and withdrawal could be a good strategy. It's in the back of my mind, why am I fighting this far forward anyway, if it wasn't for the big supply depot at MUNICH. Anyway, I have forward depots formed at PASSAU/SCHAERDING/BRAUNAU, so there is no lack of strategy options.

Ordered KUTUSOV to STRAUBING, defend stance, regular urgency, supply from PASSAU, retreat point PASSAU.

French II Corps (MARMONT) has disappeared and may have crossed the River Danube at STRAUBING and may now be closing on DEGGENDORF along the North bank of the river, or ....... (uncertainty rules) Looking at KUTUSOV's panel - 'View Units' and see that he has plenty of Russian infantry units, but only one cavalry unit at strength (4), so do I take it away to probe/search, or leave it to support the corps ?

The Reserve Austrian cavalry units (2) from VIENNA are now at LINZ, resting, and several days before they can be used. Although KUTUSOV has more units than other corps, the overall size of the corps is the same as the other Coalition corps at infantry strength (38),but he does have an advantage in artillery at strength (10), but how to use this ?

The choice is to send KUTUSOV forward into battle without cavalry, by detaching and sending the cavalry over the river, or use a Russian infantry division to cover the far bank of the Danube, but neither is a good choice.

I finally decide to detach the cavalry division to probe/screen the far bank of the Danube towards STRAUBING, as the cavalry will be able to cover the ground more quickly and withdraw if confronted with larger forces.

I send the Engineers forward to the river crossing near DEGGENDORF, at a 'forced march', to be able to blow the bridge if necessary. If the French have crossed the river further upstream I need to try and stop them moving back from DEGGENDORF into the rear of Coalition movements around STRAUBING/ECKMUHL/LANDSHUT. There is not a lot of confidence, as it can take Engineers some time to completely destroy a river crossing, which could be rebuilt anyway, but it is the best that I can do.

Repeat the order for KUTUSOV (now less cavalry) to STRAUBING, defend stance, regular urgency, supply PASSAU, retreat PASSAU, not all order detail needs to be repeated, but carries over from previous orders.

Order Auffenberg infantry reserve to LANDSHUT by forced march, with the intention of attaching to KIENMAYER, or WERNECK. WERNECK has administration level (9) and should be able to absorb another unit.

WERNECK ordered back to defend LANDSHUT and make use of the river defence, as it was too optimistic to expect that WERNECK could get to LANDAU, before the French intervened.

Sending Klenau cavalry (detached) back to LANDSHUT, with the intention to reattach to WERNECK when nearer as, although I could have used the cavalry to probe and interrupt French supply, there are still uncertainties of where several French corps are and I don't want a valuable cavalry division to become trapped on the wrong side of the rivers.

Moving Caramelli cavalry (detached ) back to (20,15) closer to FREISING for the same reason.

This turn orders phase has taken some time, as there is a lot to think about and, as always, there is so much uncertainty.

The messengers are on their way, carrying orders to the corps commanders and detached units, so press 'End Orders' to see what happens next !

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/8/2021 3:18:34 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 14
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 3:38:18 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 09 - 11th Oct 1805 – Weather raining, roads muddy

Cavalry skirmish (18,20) - REISCH confronting MURAT
Klenau dislodged and forced to retreat at (24,14) - WERNECK being pushed back, as BERNADOTTE moves towards LANDSHUT
II Corps Artillery dislodged and forced to retreat at (24,14) - as above
Mecczery dislodged and forced to retreat at (18,20) - REISCH forced back towards MUNICH
Hesse-Homburg dislodged and forced to retreat at (18,20) - as above

The rain has turned the roads to mud, which is caused by the accumulated rain of earlier turns and indicated by the change of colour tint on the map. The colour tones of the CHEMKID map mod are deliberately subtle, to give an antique appearance, so the colour change is not always apparent. I have made this more obvious by adding a message panel in the top left corner of the main mud map.

The change to mud has been quicker than I expected, but now unit movement will be hampered.

Replacements (9)
Supply (1216) at LOC LINZ
Supply (300) ordered to PASSAU from LOC LINZ
Supply (300) ordered to SCHRAEDING from LOC LINZ

Do I need more supply forward ?

During Turn Resolution French II Corps (BERNADOTTE) is seen again at ECKMUHL and moving on WERNECK, so they hadn't crossed the Danube. FOW closes in again after the turn resolution phase, so French II Corps is not in the image, but I know that it is there.

WERNECK did not move quickly enough (he has been slow during the whole game) and is now separated on the wrong side of the River Iser, near LANDSHUT.

REISCH has fallen back over the River Iser towards MUNICH, whilst Rosenberg (detached) is still confronting Margaron (SOULT) on the INGOLSTADT/MUNICH road and no further French forces have appeared on this route.

Klenau has almost got back to LANDSHUT, so reattached to WERNECK, even though WERNECK is separated by an unknown number of French units and must fight his way back to LANDSHUT, but at least KIENMAYER has arrived in LANDSHUT in support and JELLACIC has arrived at FREISING to cover that crossing.

KUTUSOV has arrived near STRAUBING and the detached Russian cavalry is also near STRAUBING on the opposite bank of the Danube, having searched that area.

I am beginning to think that CHARLES should have been at LANDSHUT, where the main event seems to be shaping up ??

Still no sign of the remaining French corps !

I have delayed BELLEGARDE's move out of LANDAU because of the uncertainly over French movements from STRAUBING, but now what to do ?

BELLEGARDE ordered to (26,13) to close in on detachments of French I Corps, now that KUTUSOV is threatening the route from STRAUBING. No orders delay as CHARLES is attached.

O'Reilly reattached to BELLEGARDE and repeated BELLEGARDE's order to advance against French I Corps with an 'engage' contact stance, as it is important to open the way to WERNECK, before more French units arrive.

I don't know how many units are in the French I Corps hexes (FOW), as stack numbers are now only active if friendly units are in these same hexes (v3.10), which makes it much more difficult to assess the opposition strength.

Reserve Cavalry of (2) units ordered from LINZ to DEGGENDORF, 'forced march' urgency, 'withdraw' stance
Reserve Infantry of (3) units, still with 75% stragglers, so give no order to proceed until the stragglers rejoin.

Caramelli (detached) ordered to FREISING, with the intention of rejoining JELLACIC, who will have to move soon, in case LANDSHUT is lost. Order is sent twice to be sure.

As soon as REISCH is safe, which is now ! Rosenberg is reattached.

Elements of (3) French corps are against REISCH (MURAT CavR, NEY VI, SOULT IV Corps).

KUTUSOV is set to engage, still with objective STRAUBING.

Klenau cavalry is reattached to KIENMAYER at LANDSHUT.

If REISCH is pushed beyond MUNICH, Rosenberg cavalry (detached) will be trapped, so Rosenberg ordered to MUNICH and intending to reattach to JELLACIC, when he is closer.

Ordered JELLACIC to LANDSHUT, supply set from BRAUNAU.

REISCH also set supply from BRAUNAU.

KIENMAYER set supply from BRAUNAU, with objective to defend (23,15).

Where is BERNADOTTE, as Grouchy (French II Corps) was briefly seen at ECKMUHL ? The image shows deceptively few French units, but many more are stacked with the single visible units and there are more units visible during turn resolution.

The mistake has been to send WERNECK over the river to join BELLEGARDE and CHARLES, as it was the shortest route, but the French have intervened, by moving more quickly. WERNECK is caught on the wrong side of the River Iser.

WERNECK is cut-off, hopefully temporarily, but has supply (74) available with the corps.

The mud will be here for several days, even if it stops raining and it probably will not stop, so movement will be slowed and involve more fatigue.

CHARLES is beginning to concentrate his army towards LANDSHUT, whilst REISCH has still to withdraw from MUNICH and KUTUSOV has been drawn towards STRAUBING, over uncertainty over the intentions of MARMONT's II French Corps. Meanwhile, BUXHOWDEN still has some way to go before he is available and CHARLES is beginning to think that a forward deployment is the same mistake that MACK was going to make.

NAPOLEON quote : The greatest general is he who makes the fewest mistakes

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/8/2021 7:53:41 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 15
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/8/2021 4:12:25 PM   
lecrop

Very interesting AAR, thank you

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 16
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 10:10:58 AM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 10 - 12th Oct 1805 – Weather is clear, roads are muddy

Supply (500) from LOC LINZ to BRAUNAU, not all at once.
Battle (25,14)
Enemy division forced back at (27,11)
Supplies (41) captured by KUTUSOV

Replacements (9)
Supply LOC (1281)

During the AI 'Turn Resolution' phase a battle is notified at hex (25,14), near LANDSHUT. The battle must be resolved before the turn resolution will move on to the next 'Orders' phase.

First, a panel opens in the top corner of the map screen, to show the commanders and basic number of forces involved, then you can continue to the battle strategy choices, shown in the top extract of the following image :

If you slide the map to one side before continuing to this battle strategy choice panel, you will still be able to see the battle hex (my red highlight), this is relevant because you will want to see the overall situation, adjacent units which may enter the battle later and terrain implications.

In this top section of the image is the information that you must use to decide from the battle strategy options available to WERNECK in this situation - Defend/Counter Attack/Withdraw/Defend in Depth.

The available options will depend on the ability (commander rating) of the commander (WERNECK), with some commanders unable to carry out some strategies and the 'contact stance' for WERNECK, which was 'defend; so the options are mainly defensive.

You also have the option to set 'miniatures', to use the factors involved in the battle in any battle system of your choice and then input the result back into the game, for the AI to continue to the next phase.

The basic top panel, shows the forces involved, with WERNECK having (34) strength points of infantry, (0) cavalry and (0) artillery. The opposition is BERNADOTTE, who outnumbers WERNECK and has artillery. The larger panel shows the actual Coalition units Kerpen/Hohenzollern/Gottesheim and their state. There may be a note that units are expected to arrive in later rounds of battle, but in this case all units are there at the beginning

This larger panel also shows the expected intensity of battle for each battle strategy option, against the strategy options the enemy might use, expressed as intensities for the possible (4) rounds of battle (example 2/3/4/3).

The weather will affect the effectiveness of fire weapons, but although conditions are muddy, the weather is clear, so BERNADOTTE's artillery will be unhampered. Terrain might have an effect, but this is clear terrain, the reason for sliding the map before you 'continue' to this panel, so you can see the hex.

FOW hides the French unit counters, so I don't know if there are enemy units in adjoining hexes which might enter the battle in later rounds using 'To the guns'.

It's worth taking some time to consider this decision as there are many factors in play, but in this case the decision is not difficult, as escape is the only real option, so I choose 'Withdraw', as the better part of valour. Unless the overall strategic situation demands a sacrifice, but not here.

Hit OK and you go to the next screen, the lower extract in the above image, and now you see the enemy array, but too late to make any changes now !

Except that new in v3.10, if a force finds itself completely over-matched, the AI commander is likely to change a 'defend' strategy into 'withdraw', or an 'attack' strategy into a 'feint', to try and reduce loses, by using some initiative.

Also new in v3.10, the modded unit counters are used, if the mod is installed, also in v3.10 the unit counter now includes strength and straggler points, lifting the FOW on the battlefield. This is the only time you will see your enemy close up and BERNADOTTE has units of his own French I Corps, with units of MARMONT's II Corps.

For the first time we see the enemy intentions, he is going to launch an 'Escalating Assault', as maybe he has units joining in the later battle rounds and this attack will start at lower intensity in the first rounds, increasing in later battle rounds. If BERNADOTTE had suspected an Austrian withdrawal, he might have thrown in a 'Quick Assault', going immediately into a higher intensity and making it difficult to withdraw.

You can see that the Open Terrain is giving the French artillery a bonus and WERNECK has no cavalry to cover his withdrawal, but BERNADOTTE also has no cavalry to hamper that withdrawal.

See the right side inset panel with WERNECK, whose performance so far has not been stellar, achieving 'outstanding execution', fear is a great motivation, whilst BERNADOTTE manages 'excellent' and MARMONT is merely 'good'. Probably grumpy because he is not in charge.

New in v3.10 is a random leadership option, selected in the game start panel, so historically WERNECK should probably not be as good as this, but all commanders have good and bad days.

All the player has had to do is select one battle strategy option from the available choices, how simple is that ?

However, the implications of that choice are hugely varied, because of all the factors whirling around in the AI battle system. Frank you are a genius !

All that is required now is to 'Begin Battle'

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/9/2021 11:30:44 AM >

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 17
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 11:52:26 AM   
Rasputitsa

The 'Battle Completed' screen shows the result :

The insert in the right of the battle panel shows text of the battle, which can be fully seen by using the slider on the right, highlighted and copied, to be saved as a text file for later reference.

French Plan Mods 1st(10) 2nd(20) 3rd(0) 4th(0)
Coalition Plan Mods 1st(0) 2nd(0) 3rd(0) 4th(0)
Bernadotte, excellent execution (+12%)
Marmont, good execution (+8%)
Werneck, outstanding execution (+20%)
** ROUND 1
French intensity 1
Coalition intensity 1
Rivaud Str:11 Mod:25 %
Hits 1
Drouet Str:12 Mod:25 %
Hits 0
Boudet Str:10 Mod:25 %
Hits 1
Grouchy Str:11 Mod:25 %
Hits 0
Dumonceau Str:9 Mod:25 %
Hits 0
II (A) Str:6 Mod:33 %
Hits 0
Deroi Str:12 Mod:25 %
Hits 0
Kerpen Str:11 Mod:31 %
Hits 0
Hohenzollern Str:7 Mod:31 %
Hits 1
Gottesheim Str:16 Mod:31 %
Hits 0

The hits noted are the hits achieved by the units concerned, so you will be able to see the damage suffered by your own units on the unit counters and in the information panels, whilst you will only know the hits your units achieved, but not where the damage occurs in enemy units. You effectively get to see your own battle reports, but you cannot see the enemy battle reports (FOW).

The battle screen text will show units (enemy and friendly) which have been routed, so in more damaging battles you will see something of the state of the enemy units involved.

In this case WERNECK has been able to disengage and withdraw before BERNADOTTE's escalating attack had much effect, so loses are low.

I have used this one round battle as an example to show the detail available, whilst an extended battle has much greater implications and loses.

I am not using 'To the guns' for Coalition (house rule), so although there were nearby Austrian units and there was no rain to mask the sound of battle, WERNECK did not get any support from other corps. Using all teh options available in the game this could have become a much bigger battle, but I need the balance against the AI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/9/2021 1:07:37 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 18
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 12:33:18 PM   
Rasputitsa

Here is the overall situation after the battle near LANDSHUT, with French units stacked with WERNECK in the battle hex :

Back to the narrative :

I knew that BERNADOTTE's I Corps was approaching through STRAUBING and ECKMUHL, whilst units of MARMONT's II Corps were visible during 'Turn Resolution', although they disappeared into the FOW for the 'Orders Phase'. WERNECK was vulnerable on the wrong side of the river, whilst trying to join BELLEGARDE/CHARLES by the quickest route. The French moved more quickly and a battle was initiated near LANDSHUT. The French had units from both BERNADOTTE's and MARMONT's corps, with BERNADOTTE taking command of the battle in closing in on WERNECK.

I had left WERNECK on 'defend' contact stance, as I did not want him drawn into an aggressive battle stance and was able to select a 'Withdraw' battle strategy. BERNADOTTE came forward with an 'Escalating Assault', which starts with a low battle intensity in the early rounds.

The combination of all these factors means that WERNECK is able to withdraw from the battle with minimal casualties, before the French assault can build up intensity and the battle only lasts one round. Withdrawing from the battle does not mean leaving the battle hex which is 5 miles wide, so opposing units can be left stacked in the same hex, if they have not routed and fled.

A short battle with minor consequences (spoiler note : how wrong that turned out to be), but so many factors operating, that it is worth taking some time to consider your battle choices, as there could be a lot to play for and much to think about. It gets more difficult as the game proceeds, as fatigue, stress and morale start to have an effect.

I think I have got off lightly from my mistake of trying to move WERNECK across the front of the French advance to join BELLEGARDE/CHARLES, which I decided to order in Turn (6), when BERNADOTTE and MARMONT were visible at STRAUBING. I had the cavalry divisions out as a screen, but WERNECK was not marching as fast as the French, which should have been anticipated from his earlier march performance.

KUTUSOV forced back an infantry division of French I Corps (Wrede) and takes STRAUBING, capturing a supply depot, and reunites with his cavalry. There was no battle, as this confrontation is resolved by the AI, during turn resolution, and you just get a report of the event. Wrede is still in the hex, stacked with the Russian units, so Wrede has been forced out of the town, but is still nearby.

Now the decision is whether to keep KUTUSOV's cavalry detached and use it to screen towards ECKMUHL, or probe the North bank of the DANUBE towards REGENSBERG, alternatively reattach and restore the corps to full strength for the battles to come.

Check stacks for French units mixed in with friendlies.

WERNECK escapes with little damage, (2 points) wounded, (2) stragglers and Hohenzollern infantry (1) KIA, but all units including the corps commander remaining 'confident'.

REISCH is in MUNICH and Rosenberg cavalry needs to hurry, so ordered Rosenberg to FREISING, 'forced march' and 'withdraw' contact stance.

Caramelli now making his way back, but I have directed him to FREISING in error, so I may attach him to JELLACIC instead of his actual corps (KIENMAYER). When (IF) I get Rosenberg back from MUNICH he will be attached to JELLACIC, or KIENMAYER.

JELLACIC has not changed his objective and is still in FREISING.

BELLEGARDE/CHARLES have advanced towards BERNADOTTE/MARMONT.

BUXHOWDEN rested, no stragglers now and ordered to LINZ, defend stance, regular urgency, supply from KREMS, retreat point LINZ. I could have sent that order yesterday, but not taking into account orders delay, so another day wasted !

Reserve infantry units (3) from VIENNA have stopped as ordered, but still have 75% stragglers, so I will leave them for now, so that the stragglers can catch up, before ordering the units forward.

Decide to send KUTUSOV's detached cavalry to REGENSBERG, with 'forced march' and 'withdraw' orders, so that it should not become engaged if it encounters superior enemy forces. KUTUSOV and the rest of the Russian I Corps are sent to ECKMUHL with 'engage' orders and on second thoughts I send a second order making the retreat point STRAUBING, to make sure KUTUSOV does not retreat too far, if it becomes necessary.

I want to start pivoting the army, by advancing the Right Wing and withdrawing the Left Wing, whilst also considering the best position for CHARLES, which could be in the centre at LANDSHUT, but decide to stay with BELLEGARDE a little longer. Advance BELLEGARDE further to hex (25,14), with 'engage' contact stance and retreat point LANDAU, whilst WERNECK approaches the same hex with 'defend' orders and 'retreat' point LANDSHUT.

Not using 'To the Guns' for the Coalition to reflect their lack of co-ordination (house rule), but it would normally have been a big help in this situation.

So things have become a little confused and when the situation unravels it may be a good time to rethink strategy.

CHARLES is not happy with the way things have developed, but waits to see if it all becomes clearer tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/9/2021 6:25:15 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 19
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 1:14:44 PM   
Rasputitsa

Turn 11 - 13th Oct 1805 – Weather is raining, roads are muddy

Supply (19) captured by Klenau (WERNECK)
Supply (79) captured by KUTUSOV
French division (Kellerman) surrendered at (26,13)
French division (I Corps Artillery) surrendered at (26,13)
French division (Lacoste) surrendered at (26,13)
Auersperg dislodged and forced to retreat at (22,20)

Replacements (10)
Supply in LOC (1186)

During 'Turn Resolution' when FOW breaks a little, French III Corps (DAVOUT) units seen between INGOLSTADT and LANDSHUT, with most of French IV Corps (SOULT) at the crossroads (18,16), facing Rosenberg, who is now cut-off.

This image during turn resolution, with some French units visible, which will disappear again back into FOW when the Orders Phase begins :

WERNECK himself is in position across the River Iser from LANDSHUT, with some of his units still in the battle hex from yesterday, so that when BELLEGARDE, with CHARLES, moved out from LANDAU and along the North bank of this river, with 'engage' orders, it trapped several units of French I Corps (BERNADOTTE), three of which surrendered (see 'Messages' above), whilst a stack of other French I Corps units Deroi, Rivaud, Drouet and some II Corps units, Boudet, Gouchy, Dumonceau and II Corps Artillery appear trapped. Whilst another French I Corps unit, Wrede, is confronting the whole of KUTUSOV's corps near STRAUBING.

WERNECK has withdrawn from possible encirclement after yesterday's short battle and has a route back over the River Iser.

If this continues to play out well, it looks like BERNADOTTE and MARMONT may be destroyed with only short battles and some good manoeuvring, although I must admit to much luck and only a little skill.

If I can finish this, before the other French Corps can arrive, then I will have won a big advantage, although MURAT and NEY are pushing back REISCH faster than I anticipated and this may threaten the Coalition rear areas, forcing me to give up the positions that I hold, to save the supply lines. With JELLACIC already out of supply as the MUNICH depot has gone and the new supply line from BRAUNAU has not yet started to deliver.

Some good news, some bad news ….........

But two more battles to be resolved today.

To be continued :

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/8/2021 1:33:46 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 20
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 3:51:24 PM   
loki100

as ever with your AARs, a great read and inspires me to open up this masterpiece again. like the set up for this as its near impossible to do much with Mack in the conventional scenario

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 21
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/9/2021 6:15:20 PM   
Rasputitsa

Thanks for your comments, it is the case that when running historical scenarios in an accurate game, you are likely to get a predictable historical result.

It is nice to play in historical conditions, but with a possibility of getting away from the comfort of hindsight.

The v3.10 update will have randomised scenarios and randomised leadership attribute options, which will add potentially more uncertainty into a game which already has a bundle of uncertainty and FOW.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/10/2021 7:27:16 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 22
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 10:30:35 AM   
altipueri

Rasputitsa, can I bribe you to send me the beta you are playing with? I won't tell. :)

I'm impressed that Loki likes the game; I am awaiting his 520 page manual on WITE2 although I've suddenly found a WW2 mod for Armored Brigade easier going and more fun.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 23
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 12:42:07 PM   
pzgndr

I am also looking forward to v3.10. I'm hoping to wrap up the next patch for Empires in Arms soon, and take a break for a bit and play this and other games for a while.

Have you sent ChemKid's mods to Erik Rutins yet for him to post with game files or include in v3.10? He's willing, you should follow up. Ditto for the PFE mods.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 24
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 1:24:45 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Have you sent ChemKid's mods to Erik Rutins yet for him to post with game files or include in v3.10? He's willing, you should follow up. Ditto for the PFE mods.

Yes, I did contact Erik Rutins, as above, but got no reply.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 25
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 2:21:43 PM   
zgrant

Rasputitsa, thank you for your amazing report! You've put a lot of effort into making this and I appreciate it very much.

In your first post you make this observation:
quote:

Previous versions of the game allowed for supply convoys up to (1000) points to be created, which was questionable to have a convoy that large, so now player created convoys can still be set for such high figures, but the AI supply system will only respond to player orders with a series of reasonably sized convoys, until the supply request is filled (v3.10).

When set at 'computer controlled supply' the AI will restrict its own supply movements to a series of more historically sized supply convoys (v3.10).

I'm curious, what is a "reasonably sized convoy"? I agree with you that the 1000 point sized convoy was too large. I'm wondering what "reasonable" is for this game. In your report, you limited most of your convoys to 500 points or less, so is that what the AI considers reasonable?

Many thanks!

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 26
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 2:49:38 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

I'm curious, what is a "reasonably sized convoy"? I agree with you that the 1000 point sized convoy was too large. I'm wondering what "reasonable" is for this game. In your report, you limited most of your convoys to 500 points or less, so is that what the AI considers reasonable?

The AAR is playing with computer controlled supply, so the AI is allocating supply convoys, although the player can still order additional supply movements, as I did when ordering 500 supply. The computer supply system, after an orders delay, will start sending convoys to fill the order.

The individual convoys are generally less than 100 points each, but some is lost each turn in wastage, so long supply lines lose more supply.

Here is an example of some of the convoys moving during a turn, but this is still in development.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zgrant)
Post #: 27
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 2:55:25 PM   
zgrant

quote:

The AAR is playing with computer controlled supply, so the AI is allocating supply convoys, although the player can still order additional supply movements, as I did when ordering 500 supply. The computer supply system, after an orders delay, will start sending convoys to fill the order.

The individual convoys are generally less than 100 points each, but some is lost each turn in wastage, so long supply lines lose more supply.

Excellent! Thank you. Looking forward to your next installment of your after action report. Your slight spoiler note of, "how wrong that turned out to be" has me very curious about what happens next.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 28
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 3:54:43 PM   
Tejszd

Thank you for the AAR! Looking forward to this update!

(in reply to zgrant)
Post #: 29
RE: Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR - 4/10/2021 6:46:54 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Rasputitsa, can I bribe you to send me the beta you are playing with? I won't tell. :)

I'm impressed that Loki likes the game; I am awaiting his 520 page manual on WITE2 although I've suddenly found a WW2 mod for Armored Brigade easier going and more fun.

Frank has agreed to posting the AARs to show some of the features in the CotD update v3.10, but there is no date yet for release, however, Frank is also exploring 'Campaigns on the Elbe 1806' using a common game system, but with its own map.

The releases are not dependent on each other, but there looks like a lot of work to do, possibly including the Spring 1813 campaign, which would need an extended 'Elbe' map and stretch the system.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> After Action Reports >> Campaigns on the Danube v3.10 (under development) AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI