Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't disband because scheduled to disband?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/12/2021 9:50:52 PM   
CapAndGown

I have a bunch of AT brigades that I would just as soon disband because they are cluttering things up and I would like to use the equipment on more worthy formations. But I can't disband them. From what I can tell, this is because they are scheduled to disband on turn 32. Is it really the case that I can't disband a unit because it is scheduled to disband? Seriously? Tell me I am interpreting this wrong.
Post #: 1
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/12/2021 10:26:20 PM   
loki100

yes its WAD, stops ahistoric redesigns of the Soviets.

if you put them to 50% TOE in the reserve, and keep them not on refit, they will shed most of their elements & not take on any more.

actually in WiTE2 as SU (rather than on map), these are fairly useful. They can really chew up 1941 German armour if you get them into the right place af the right time

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/12/2021 10:40:26 PM   
M60A3TTS

The great majority of these disbands are corps HQs and some motorcycle regiments. And yes, I'm afraid the AT brigades are thrown in their too. You can manage ok, and they're actually not bad if you want to use them for face-hugging.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 7:09:25 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

No it doesn't. I am currently in the process of taking every Rifle and Mechanized Corps and reducing the max TOE to 50% and shipping them off to the national reserve to rot. All combat units are being subordinated directly to armies NOW, not 20 odd turns from now.

More and more I am coming to regret my purchase of this game. There seem to be many factors in favor of this version of WitE, but playability is not one of them. The air game design is just horrendous. Clicking here, there and everywhere to find info is totally out of hand. This effort to tie our hands so thoroughly to history (for instance by forcing us to keep units we don't want or by tying the victory system to historical "capture by" dates) is turning this into Gary Grisby Do It Yourself Animated War in the East. I beginning to think that I would prefer WitE1 with just the improved map.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 7:24:10 AM   
ast95

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapAndGown
I beginning to think that I would prefer WitE1 with just the improved map.

WITE1 is much more of railway kind. I am too don't get it why devs love so much scripted transfers and disbands, but you definetly going too far here.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 8:08:58 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

No it doesn't. I am currently in the process of taking every Rifle and Mechanized Corps and reducing the max TOE to 50% and shipping them off to the national reserve to rot. All combat units are being subordinated directly to armies NOW, not 20 odd turns from now.

if you do that you are going to find yourself horrendously short of command capacity, a lot of your armies come from those formations converting. See 4.11.3, 21.11.8 and 30.10,5.

as to the rest of your points, I think its been pointed out that you can eliminate the victory conditions by making your own scenario, play with full TB control and you end up very close to a sandbox game. You can even alter the reinforcement schedules to fit your own preferences

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 8:42:15 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

quote:

quote:

if you do that you are going to find yourself horrendously short of command capacity, a lot of your armies come from those formations converting. See 4.11.3, 21.11.8 and 30.10,5.

Since I can't disband the ones scheduled to disband and since I am simply sending every corps HQ (except for the cavalry and airborne HQ) to the reserve, I will not be losing any command capacity at the army level. Also, it is pretty clear which corps HQs convert to Army HQs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 8:45:26 AM   
loki100

quote:

Since I can't disband the ones scheduled to disband and since I am simply sending every corps HQ (except for the cavalry and airborne HQ) to the reserve, I will not be losing any command capacity at the army level. Also, it is pretty clear which corps HQs convert to Army HQs.

that is neat, I've never worked out how to identify the conversions and lack the patience to record them on a sheet (or check via the editor).

but you can't rely on the withdraw function for this (if I recall how its set up) information

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 10:28:16 AM   
Nix77

Yes, the Army<=>Corps structure is a mess, so it's very historical :D

You're forgetting that the command structure is there for a reason, to make the leadership rolls easier.

Here's an example with a skill 6 Stavka and Front commanders, with variable Army/Corps commanders:

Jun'41 - Aug'41:
Corps 6 / Army 6: 88.88%
Corps 5 / Army 5: 80.31%
Direct Army 8 : 78.04%
Corps 4 / Army 6: 74.88%
Corps 4 / Army 5: 72.63%
Direct Army 7 : 70.96%
Corps 4 / Army 4: 70.38%
Corps 3 / Army 6: 67.88%
Corps 3 / Army 5: 65.13%
Direct Army 6 : 63.88%
Corps 3 / Army 4: 62.38%
Direct Army 5 : 56.79%

Sep'41 - Nov'41:
Corps 6 / Army 6: 88.88%
Direct Army 8 : 87.17%
Direct Army 7 : 81.33%
Corps 5 / Army 5: 80.31%
Direct Army 6 : 75.50%
Corps 4 / Army 6: 74.88%
Corps 4 / Army 5: 72.63%
Corps 4 / Army 4: 70.38%
Direct Army 5 : 69.67%
Corps 3 / Army 6: 67.88%
Corps 3 / Army 5: 65.13%

Dec'41 =>:
Direct Army 8 : 96.5%
Direct Army 7 : 89.5%
Direct Army 6 : 82.5%
Direct Army 5 : 75.5%

Notice that even the best Army commanders can't beat the co-operation of mediocre corps-army commanders in August.

I'm actually not sure if the corps HQs function at all in September and after that so the second list might be completely wrong. The manual is a bit vague on that detail but at least airborne corps do have an effect for sure.

I actually checked a Soviet AI save, and they seem to ditch all the corps HQs at around turn 4-6 already, seems the AI doesn't like them either!

It's not big of a deal just to set them at low ToE and throw them to Sibe... I mean Reserve at the start of the game if you don't want to use them. But they have their uses since they really boost the combat abilities of the units they're commanding, even with bad commanders.

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 4/13/2021 12:40:45 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 11:06:40 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

I'm actually not sure if the corps HQs function at all in September and after that so the second list might be completely wrong. The manual is a bit vague on that detail but at least airborne corps do have an effect for sure.

yes, all remaining corps then function as the axis table in their effect on leadership rolls etc

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 12:42:41 PM   
Nix77

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nix77

yes, all remaining corps then function as the axis table in their effect on leadership rolls etc

Ok that's good to know. If you endure the pain of organizing the rifle corps, you can get more bang out of those weak Soviet leaders even in late 1941.

EDIT: fixed the last Dec'41=> table, it was just plain wrong :)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! - 4/13/2021 2:49:56 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

quote:

More and more I am coming to regret my purchase of this game. There seem to be many factors in favor of this version of WitE, but playability is not one of them. The air game design is just horrendous. Clicking here, there and everywhere to find info is totally out of hand. This effort to tie our hands so thoroughly to history (for instance by forcing us to keep units we don't want or by tying the victory system to historical "capture by" dates) is turning this into Gary Grisby Do It Yourself Animated War in the East. I beginning to think that I would prefer WitE1 with just the improved map.

To me, too, a year ago, when I started participating in the beta test, everything seemed too complicated out of habit! I also thought, like you, that you just need to add something to WitE1 from this game. But now I got used to it and stopped playing WitE1! WITE2 has its pluses and minuses, but there are more pluses! Hopefully the WITE2 developers will also take some of WitE1!

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Can't disband because scheduled to disband?! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI