Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Expose the Character die roles to the player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Expose the Character die roles to the player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Expose the Character die roles to the player - 4/13/2021 3:50:33 PM   
DasTactic

It is extremely frustrating to see potential numbers that could be rolled in the game by one of your characters (d100 + 35) versus some difficulty to then get a result you simply don't understand. And it is usually impossible to figure out where the +35 comes from in the first place when the character sheet may show an entirely different number in the corresponding column.

Please present the actual roll information to the player - if not in a log - then as part of the report given at the time. So what the die-rolls are along with what the bonus is made up of.

The vast majority of strategy games present the result roles and calculations to players. Players of strategy games tend to like this sort of information. We essentially have this information in the battles - which is awesome - just need it in the other areas where RNG plays a role, please.
Post #: 1
RE: Expose the Character die roles to the player - 4/13/2021 3:53:19 PM   
zgrssd

Currently we have 3 known modifiers:
- Relations, presumably -20 to +20 but with unknown formula for Relation -> Bonus*
- Improvisation Roll or Skill Value, unknown effect
- 6th Sense Roll or Skill value, unknown effect

If we are to make a informed decision, we need to be informed about the elements of the decision.

*Does not apply to Council Tasks, wich apparently get +/- 50% based on Relation -50, plus 1% for each point rolled above 100.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 4/13/2021 3:55:07 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 2
RE: Expose the Character die roles to the player - 4/13/2021 6:11:39 PM   
Eretzu

Kinda on topic: I would like to know when the advisor has rolled / will roll and preferably also to see when advisor has won the roll.

Now the UI is a bit annoying as it is unclear if advisor helps in stratagem / event rolls as only one roll is shown.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Expose the Character die roles to the player - 4/13/2021 7:44:15 PM   
GuardsmanGary

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
- Relations, presumably -20 to +20 but with unknown formula for Relation -> Bonus*

The relations bonus appears to be ((relation - 50)/50) * 20, rounded to nearest whole number.
An economic director with a total prospecting skill of 69, no 6th sense skill, and a relations of 84 attempting to play a prospecting push stratagem has roll modifier of +83. 69 of this is from the prospecting skill which means the remaining 14 points must be their relations bonus. If we apply that formula:
84 - 50 = 34
34/50 = 0.68
0.68 * 20 = 13.6, rounded up to 14.

Same director with 40 oratory skill attempting to play a private investment skill has a +54 modifier to the roll: 40 from the skill and +14 from relations.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eretzu

Kinda on topic: I would like to know when the advisor has rolled / will roll

It's simple: if the advisors total skill level is higher than the person they are attached to the advisor will make the roll in their place.

< Message edited by GuardsmanGary -- 4/13/2021 7:47:25 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 4
RE: Expose the Character die roles to the player - 4/13/2021 11:44:06 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

It's simple: if the advisors total skill level is higher than the person they are attached to the advisor will make the roll in their place.

My understanding is that they both make the roll, but the higher one is kept.

Both are affected from the finaly result (dying for failing Personal Combat roll, experience gain for faling/making a roll).

(in reply to GuardsmanGary)
Post #: 5
RE: Expose the Character die roles to the player - 5/1/2021 3:44:31 PM   
Mazth

I second having access to the information at least somewhere. Be it in a hover over or in a log, or hover over in a log for my part.
Leader rolls are a factor in so many aspects/calculations it would be useful to know where to focus our attention and resources; improving relations, maybe getting +stats, or a new leader with better base stats etc.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eretzu

Kinda on topic: I would like to know when the advisor has rolled / will roll and preferably also to see when advisor has won the roll.

Now the UI is a bit annoying as it is unclear if advisor helps in stratagem / event rolls as only one roll is shown.

While knowing would be inconsequential for decisions, the higher the supporting stat the better, the amounts of time helped will be random with trend moving to law of averages.

BUT for immersion it will make a HUGE difference.

Now the advisors blend too much into the background, you attach them and they are never seen again. I never know if he/she is doing a good job or that my choice affected anything, I don't get attached (pun not intended) to my advisors as I do to my other leader.
Have a little notice in result: 'Jim Hailey assisted the Director of the Interior Council Harper Profund in making this decision', have a little hover over with advisor roll vs leader roll.
Show that they are contributing and are influential so I can root for them and say good job Jimmeh!

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

My understanding is that they both make the roll, but the higher one is kept.

Both are affected from the finaly result (dying for failing Personal Combat roll, experience gain for faling/making a roll).

This is my understanding as well, note that this is far more powerful than just taking the one with the highest stat as you'll get double the rolls and being able to influence base stat:

"An attached Advisor will make the same Skill Rolls as the Leader attached to,
but if the Advisor’s roll is higher it will be used instead of the lower roll of
the Leader he is advising." manual p119

(in reply to Eretzu)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Expose the Character die roles to the player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI