Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Science Fiction Scenario?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Science Fiction Scenario? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/17/2021 12:44:36 AM   
woos1981

Is it possible for players to create a sci-fi battlefield like Star Wars or Warhammer 4000?
Post #: 1
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/17/2021 6:15:17 AM   
cathar1244

Sort of.

New tiles for the maps can be made. Sound effects, I think, can be changed out. The symbols for unit counters can be changed. New equipment can be made.

The rub is if you're looking for ranged combat: lasers that engage over several hexes with direct fire. That can't be done in TOAW, although one could have futuristic artillery that fired over several hexes in indirect fire mode.

TOAW does not represent first person shooter or other small-level combat. It is an operational wargame system. So, if you want to create platoons-companies-battalions of Star Wars armies that use maneuver and fire to defeat each other (but don't show low-level direct fire action over a range of several hexes), then you can probably create, with enough time invested, what you're looking for.

TOAW is very modifiable, but at its core, it is a wargame system for operational combat.

Cheers

(in reply to woos1981)
Post #: 2
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/17/2021 8:03:54 AM   
woos1981

Thank you for your reply. That's enough for me

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/18/2021 8:43:07 PM   
RyanCrierie

Yes you can, and you can even use the old WEG SW sourcebooks.

(in reply to woos1981)
Post #: 4
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/21/2021 2:15:31 PM   
RyanCrierie

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244
TOAW does not represent first person shooter or other small-level combat. It is an operational wargame system. So, if you want to create platoons-companies-battalions of Star Wars armies that use maneuver and fire to defeat each other (but don't show low-level direct fire action over a range of several hexes), then you can probably create, with enough time invested, what you're looking for.

TOAW is very modifiable, but at its core, it is a wargame system for operational combat.

The problem with this is that there really isn't much "operational" combat in SW that we know of; other than the Clone Wars.

The old WEG Imperial Sourcebook went into detail on various OOB types, in exhaustive detail, telling you how many antigravity tanks were in such and such unit. But.... At best, you'd be simulating things at maybe Company or Battalion level; instead of the larger scales that TOAW works for.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 5
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 3/21/2021 2:27:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

There is also the issue of no 3D mapping.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 6
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 4/14/2021 2:30:19 PM   
wzfcns

I once saw a star war Scenario,which use"point to point" to simulate movement between galaxias

....I said:"Isn't this letting the enemy catch us all in an action?We run away for ourselves,How can we worthily of our soldiers?Tell them run for themselves."
-Lieutenant General Du Yuming,Deputy Commander of Xuzhou Anti-Bandit HQ

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: Science Fiction Scenario? - 5/13/2021 8:43:06 PM   
alomoes

I'm working on a Gundam scenario, because I figured it'd be interesting for a 100km scale entire earth war. So far so good, I had my first test battle of Kojima Battalion fighting the 1st MS Corps in Persia. Kojima Battalion won the first engagement with no casualties, which is fair, they were fighting the starting Zeon troops with advanced prototypes. I also need to figure out how events work so I can change around production based on stuff captured/lost and possibly do space through events, although space events will be last.

I'll actually announce this in a proper forum.

(in reply to wzfcns)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Science Fiction Scenario? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI