Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 4:33:32 PM   
balto

I am considering buying this, but I fear I will be overwhelmed by the number of units, I do not fear the complexity. I saw a couple of YouTubes on the starter scenario.., (Velukys Lukey??) and I also saw some other scenarios in the opening screens.

If I focused my time on just the scenarios and turned off the AI for both Air and Supply Depots manually and whatever else, would I grasp about 95% of the game mechanics which would allow me to transition smoothly into the campaign one day? Or do the starter scenarios not contain all aspects of the campaign rules?

I am unsure if I am explaining myself correctly. Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 4:37:27 PM   
Bamilus

I think the scenarios would cover a lot of the mechanics, but there's several things unique to the 1941 campaign that would not be covered:

1. Special turn 1 rules
2. Axis logistics. Need to have a strategic plan for 1941 since you can't repair every rail line. You get this a bit in the individual scenarios, but they're pretty short and cover only one front.
3. Theatre boxes. Not a huge thing if you have enhanced player TB off, but a little thing.

Honestly, not sure if you've played the other games, but I'd recommend doing doing Velikie Luki scenario, then road to Leningrad, then the Minsk scenario. After that I'd jump into the campaign. You'll learn a lot more playing the campaign and it's fine to reset (I'm on my 4th campaign restart as Axis).

Loki and team did an amazing job on manual and I would leverage the one page guides. This is by far the easiest to pick up and play Grigsby monster game yet. I never made it that far with WITE1 but I was able to jump into WITE2 very quickly.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 4/20/2021 4:44:21 PM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 4:45:35 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus
Honestly, not sure if you've played the other games, but I'd recommend doing doing Velikie Luki scenario, then road to Leningrad, then the Minsk scenario. After that I'd jump into the campaign. You'll learn a lot more playing the campaign and it's fine to reset (I'm on my 4th campaign restart as Axis).

I would recommend playing Velikiye Luki first, then Minsk, and then Leningrad or the Destruction of the Southwestern Front. The first two scenarios are much easier!

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 4:46:05 PM   
Bamilus

True, you're right. Minsk is a better second scenario. Leningrad has some tricky things and you can get bogged down easily if you aren't playing correctly. Minsk is much more straightforward but teaches you importance of terrain (especially for movement) and encirclements.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 4/20/2021 4:47:00 PM >

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 10:41:36 PM   
balto

I just read section 30.8 of the manual because I am seeing how many are confused about logistics/supply.., holy crap - my brain melted. I now do fear the complexity, I am out. Thanks for responding though.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/20/2021 10:43:04 PM   
Bamilus

Cya

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 4:12:28 AM   
balto

I spoke to soon. As I read the manual, I see there are 7 Partial Map scenarios with max turn length of 17. And there notes that describe what you learn in each one. Wow, that is what I am talking about. I thought you had two scenarios only, then you had to jump into campaign.., SOLD.., right now!!!

Thank again.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 6:44:48 AM   
jsqdcsq

I think it would be better you learn the game part by part. Read the manual's Basic Gameplay chapter and then you can start Velikiye Luki. It is a good start for you to get some basic familiarity with ground & air battle system. Logistics is not a big problem for this scenario that is small in both time & space.

Then Minsk would be a good choice. It is also a small scenario in time, but you would control more counters on map and would get a better understanding of Blitzkrieg.

Then you can choose these longer scenarios, where logistics is more important and you need to arrange intervals between campaigns so your troops can get better rested with high CPP.

Still there are many things to learn only in the campaign scenarios. Campaign makes the game not just a wargame, but also kind of cultivating games where players cultivate an army. As far as my experience as a soviet player against AI, I'm building troops (counters) with high CVs, trying to prepare a reserve force with good tanks and calvary for mobility needed in 41 winter, sending good cammanders to easily defended regions for faster promotion (then to replace my ill skilled Front commanders). It's just like I'm teaching the red army to be a better fighter. It is a huge game and is hard to learn, but I would say it worth your time thrown into it.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 9:43:09 AM   
Remmes

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

I just read section 30.8 of the manual because I am seeing how many are confused about logistics/supply.., holy crap - my brain melted. I now do fear the complexity, I am out. Thanks for responding though.

You don't have to be an expert to enjoy this game. I rate my knowledge of the game 'below intermdiate' and I still have heaps of fun with it.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 11:53:58 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

I spoke to soon. As I read the manual, I see there are 7 Partial Map scenarios with max turn length of 17. And there notes that describe what you learn in each one. Wow, that is what I am talking about. I thought you had two scenarios only, then you had to jump into campaign.., SOLD.., right now!!!

Thank again.

I give him about a day until he gets cold feet again. Any other takers?

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 12:02:17 PM   
balto

haha, yeah. I bought it last night and downloaded it and fired it up to make sure it was a smooth install. Also looking forward to the hard copy whenever that shows up. In the meantime, I just need to get started.., because right now, I am intimidated. I have never been intimidated by a game.., so this will be a first. Never too old to learn new tricks.., I think!

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 11
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 12:19:56 PM   
Bamilus

Haha, just messing with you! Don't feel bad to ask questions here. I'd say it's really not that intimidating. Just focus on the big key items, don't try and understand all the nuances. Those will come with time and experience. Make good use of the AAR's in the forum, too.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 12
RE: Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) - 4/21/2021 12:47:24 PM   
loki100

quote:

haha, yeah. I bought it last night and downloaded it and fired it up to make sure it was a smooth install. Also looking forward to the hard copy whenever that shows up. In the meantime, I just need to get started.., because right now, I am intimidated. I have never been intimidated by a game.., so this will be a first. Never too old to learn new tricks.., I think!

do the playthrough as set out in section 4 - initially as set up and then experiment.

that covers a lot of the mechanistic stuff, how to move, how to attack and some of the big conceptual stuff such as how to organise a multi-unit attack and be able to advance.

remember you can hand off most of the air war, the bulk of the logistics and how to assign support units to the various AI assistants.

at that stage, essentially you have a divisional game using the on-map units.

I remember with the old #1 buying it, opening it and closing it (more than once), I finally did the Road to Minsk (& won with no idea how). But the first time I moved from the relatively small Road to Leningrad scenario to the larger Road to Smolensk I found it really intimadating with all these counters, rule book and a forum stuffed full of posts (that I had no idea how to evaluate as to which mattered)

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question on the opening scenario (Velukye Juke??) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI