Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weird Unit Names

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Weird Unit Names Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 2:20:09 AM   
DorianGray

Just purchased and installed WiTE2. Quickly started 1941 scenario and immediately noticed the weird and inconsistently abbreviated German unit names.

Coming from a military background, it is bizarre to see this.

For example, click a typical German Infantry Division (lets say, 44th) and the detail panel describe it as "44th ID". ID? seriously? Someone could not take the time to actually spell out the proper name?

16th Motorized Division described as "16th MD". WTH? MD? Military District?

Oh come on guys, these abbreviations don't even make sense.

However, click on a German Panzer Division, like the 11th, and I expected the name to be truncated as well, but it was fully and correctly named "11th Panzer Division".

You guys created incorrect abbreviated names for most of the German units, which just reeks of laziness because somebody did not want to spell out full names (or even an abbreviation that was more historically accurate).

Not a good 1st impression.
Post #: 1
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 2:40:51 AM   
Wild

There is obviously a limit to how many characters can appear on the counter.

(in reply to DorianGray)
Post #: 2
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 6:41:19 AM   
56ajax

@DG

Yes there is a limit in the number of characters that will fit. But to complain that the abbreviations don't make sense is hard to believe considering that in another post Nigel Askey is quoted; he uses the same abbreviations. And further it doesn't reek of laziness but perhaps shows a very long design cycle with the involvement of many people.

But IMO 44th ID, 16th MD, 11th PD or on the Soviet side 215th Mech Div look decidedly UGLY. As we know by the counter whether it is a division or a brigade I would prefer 44th Infantry, 16th Motorised, 11th Panzer and 215th Mechanised.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 3
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 8:57:36 AM   
geforth

On the german side, the abbreviations are correct
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heer_(Wehrmacht)#Generalkommandos_und_Wehrkreise

< Message edited by geforth -- 4/22/2021 8:58:22 AM >

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 4
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 11:13:15 AM   
Steelers708

quote:

ORIGINAL: geforth

Wikipedia is never a good source for factual information.

If you look at German primary documents their are several variations in naming convention for divisions, in terms of Infantry divisions these are eg:

1.Infanterie Division
1.Inf. Division
1.Inf. Div.
1 I.D.

The last two are used as all the other non infantry division types use the relevant designation e.g. Pz, Mot., Geb. etc therefore infantry divisions are designated just by the number.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geforth)
Post #: 5
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 11:19:49 AM   
Searry

Another troll thread. This forum is infested!

WITE2 Beta Tester
Axis Bias mod Fanboy
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5144537

(in reply to Steelers708)
Post #: 6
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 11:49:17 AM   
geforth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelers708

quote:

ORIGINAL: geforth

Wikipedia is never a good source for factual information.

If you look at German primary documents their are several variations in naming convention for divisions, in terms of Infantry divisions these are eg:

1.Infanterie Division
1.Inf. Division
1.Inf. Div.
1 I.D.

The last two are used as all the other non infantry division types use the relevant designation e.g. Pz, Mot., Geb. etc therefore infantry divisions are designated just by the number.

local://upfiles/36772/F831B2404B8E4C9894BCB81C69D67C6B.jpg

first thing: it is Infanteriedivision or Infanterie-Division not Infanterie Division. That is important for the abbrevation, because Infanteriedivison is a compound and the abbrevation for compounds in german are the first and the last noun in upper-case letters (ID). both are okay. you can write it ID (Infanteriedivison) or I.D. (Infanterie-Division). that is a (german) grammar thing, not a historical. :)
The Panzergruppe abbrevation with Pz.Gr. has another grammar reason.

< Message edited by geforth -- 4/22/2021 11:50:02 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 12:08:54 PM   
Steelers708

[/quote]
first thing: it is Infanteriedivision or Infanterie-Division not Infanterie Division. That is important for the abbrevation, because Infanteriedivison is a compound and the abbrevation for compounds in german are the first and the last noun in upper-case letters (ID). both are okay. you can write it ID (Infanteriedivison) or I.D. (Infanterie-Division). that is a (german) grammar thing, not a historical. :)
[/quote]

Then the Germans in WWII were obviously not into "that is a (german) grammar thing, not a historical. :)" as shown by this Meldung from the 715. Infanterie Division.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geforth)
Post #: 8
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 12:14:53 PM   
geforth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steelers708

Then the Germans in WWII were obviously not into "that is a (german) grammar thing, not a historical. :)" as shown by this Meldung from the 715. Infanterie Division.

https://www.trave-militaria.de/media/image/52/7f/7d/8286-a9_600x600.jpg
https://germanmilitaryrelics.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/1/p1060086.jpg
https://www.huesken.com/onload/fotos/49431.jpg

< Message edited by geforth -- 4/22/2021 12:15:18 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Weird Unit Names - 4/22/2021 1:26:50 PM   
Slush

Well, it's probably fair to say that peoples spelling and abbreviations were as varied in WW2 as they are now. So it should come as no surprise that someone in the 715. ID wasn't the sharpest pen around because, having been brought up in Germany, I can testify that geforth is absolutely right.

Heck, even Von Manstein wasn't consistent in "Verlorene Siege" where you'll find both Infanteriekorps and Infanterie-Korps. Both of which are correct but shouldn't be intermingled.

(in reply to geforth)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Weird Unit Names Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI