Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stumbled on too John Tiller

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Stumbled on too John Tiller Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 1:00:59 PM   
Parkkicks

I'm a "new" war-gamer, compared to some of you vets, although I have been playing PC games my whole life, (since 1996) being born in 1992... my formative years were of Putt-Putt, Jump start second grade, and spyfox (nostalgia trip) But during and after high-school as I've been refining my pallet, my first real pc gaming experiences came in the form of Counterstrike:source, and team fortress 2.(I had a Nintendo 64 and Playstation 2 that I enjoyed as well.) I found as I began expanding into various genres that I preferred strategy and sandbox games over story-driven linear games. I'm finding it interesting now, that these old timers, have been hiding out playing games of such detail in their garage! AND THAT NOW THE ONLY THING THAT CAN SATISFY MY DEMANDS FOR REALISM ARE FULLY MODDED HOI4,(barely) AND MY RECENT DISCOVERY OF GARY GRIGSBY GAMES!!!!

And now your telling me that there is a second treasure trove of games in the John Tiller realm?

I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Anybody care to expand on how much effing time I have In between turns of WITE2 to play Panzer campaigns or a Squad campaign selection? I'm sure that they are worth their weight, and deserve to be played, but this... It's nearly unfathomable! It's like having to pick out a coffin! AND THEN GETTING A SECOND ONE FOR MY BROTHER! AND NOW WERE ARGUING ABOUT WHICH ONE OF US IS GOING TO GO FIRST, WHEN CLEARLY WE'RE GOING TO DO EACH OTHER IN, AND NOT EVEN HAVE TIME TO EVEN GET TO THE COFFIN STORE!!!!

I'll calm down now, and simply ask anybody reading this to enlighten me and and anybody else, on how you vets manage to exist in a world where these games exist simultaneously.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 1:26:37 PM   
Bamilus

Tiller games are good but worst AI Ive ever seen in any game (any genre of video game). pbem is good, though

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Parkkicks)
Post #: 2
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 1:38:54 PM   
Parkkicks

Can I play myself?

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 3
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 1:57:58 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Parkkicks

Can I play myself?

yes, just set up for hot seat.

The AI is sort of ok in the Pzr Campaign scenarios if it is on the defensive, you can then treat attacking as a puzzle to solve (& its quite good fun) but don't expect to face anything but a brute force response.

Its also usually not too bad in the 1-3 day scenarios, much longer and you will gain an escalating advantage.

I'm dipping in and out of a Normandy 44 grand campaign. I'm up to D7 and the first five days was a challenge and interesting, but it has clearly lost the plot so its a case of move up to a front line, set up the attack, rotate formations (which it doesn't do) till I can take the objective and then move on.

(in reply to Parkkicks)
Post #: 4
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 2:40:05 PM   
jacktimes2

FYI, in case you’re into the North African Theater at all. Panzer Battles, also from Tiller, has a much more appropriate and fun scale than Panzer Campaigns (for that Theater).

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/25/2021 8:56:55 PM   
CapAndGown

I find that the time per turn of Panzer Campaigns (i.e. 2 hours per turn) is just too short. Soviet regiments basically move one hex per turn. Yuck. I think the scale of the game is in between a nice operational level and a nice tactical level and so falls between the cracks. I do love looking at the maps and the OOB though.

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 6
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/26/2021 1:09:59 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Tiller games are good but worst AI Ive ever seen in any game (any genre of video game). pbem is good, though

Worst? I guess you never played WitP:AE.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 7
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/26/2021 1:19:56 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Worst? I guess you never played WitP:AE.

I bought it when it came out and have played it. The AI in that is far superior by the simple fact that it at least follows scripts. John Tiller AI doesn't have scripts and is just terrible brute-force logic. You'll routinely see AI troops just moving away from the battles and in random directions from turn 1 in those games. I remember in PZ Market Garden 44 the AI Axis (on defense, so should be easier for AI) would just move troops away from the cities and towards the edge of the map for no reason. It's also quite poor at tactical things, too, but again there's some small and dense scenarios where it's basic logic can work ok, but any map of decent size and/or that requires maneuvering the AI is absolutely horrendous.

I take it you haven't played any John Tiller games.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 4/26/2021 1:22:48 AM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 8
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/26/2021 2:36:29 PM   
76mm

quote:

Can I play myself?

Yes, I've done this several times, at least when playing the grand campaigns. The maps are large enough, and there are enough units, where it is actually difficult to remember (at least for me anyway!) all the details of the other side that you're playing.

I enjoy the JT games, but I stick to the summer ones...as someone else mentioned, in winter scenarios many Soviet units can move all of one hex per turn--it gets a bit tedious moving thousands of unit counters over the muddy/snowy steppe.

Another issue with the East Front JT games that I've played is that most of them feature one side or another being heavily fortified when the game stars. Realistic enough, I suppose, but it means that the first 20-25 turns of a campaign often involve grinding through the fortifications, which is difficult and to me, kind of tedious.

My favorite East Front JT game is therefore Smolensk '41--set in the summer, with basically meeting engagements, so it is quite mobile and fun.

(in reply to Parkkicks)
Post #: 9
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/26/2021 4:23:35 PM   
Gerry58

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

Can I play myself?

Yes, I've done this several times, at least when playing the grand campaigns. The maps are large enough, and there are enough units, where it is actually difficult to remember (at least for me anyway!) all the details of the other side that you're playing.

I enjoy the JT games, but I stick to the summer ones...as someone else mentioned, in winter scenarios many Soviet units can move all of one hex per turn--it gets a bit tedious moving thousands of unit counters over the muddy/snowy steppe.

Another issue with the East Front JT games that I've played is that most of them feature one side or another being heavily fortified when the game stars. Realistic enough, I suppose, but it means that the first 20-25 turns of a campaign often involve grinding through the fortifications, which is difficult and to me, kind of tedious.

My favorite East Front JT game is therefore Smolensk '41--set in the summer, with basically meeting engagements, so it is quite mobile and fun.

Agree but the AI is still idiotic

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/26/2021 4:33:56 PM   
ranknfile

For solo play, a good AI is a must. There are games I would love to play against an opponent, but tired of playing solo, as the AI did not give an interesting enough challenge. I like John Tiller's games (Midway is an excellent, if not popular game; worth a look for those who like WW2 naval warfare). I have far more time playing Tiller's games than I do Gary Grigsby's games, but I like them both. Currently I am playing WitE2 exclusively, and am very, very pleased with it.

< Message edited by ranknfile -- 4/26/2021 4:34:41 PM >

(in reply to Gerry58)
Post #: 11
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 12:08:37 AM   
Sigwolfe

As a very sad footnote to this thread... John Tiller passed away the day after the original post. A big loss for the wargaming community.

https://georgiacremation.com/obituary/john-albert-tiller/?fbclid=IwAR22b7DDyAE70KCfkGRjiVHd2luRatzXd4qX6GRIqNWlW_r-zEjd22l0Elg

(in reply to ranknfile)
Post #: 12
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 12:33:00 AM   
Joel Billings

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. I spent many hours enjoying Panzer Campaigns Smolensk back around 2000. It was one of the games that inspired us to make War in the East.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Sigwolfe)
Post #: 13
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 3:22:37 AM   
dox44

Sad news. Playtested SB 3 & SB 4 and helped on patches for 1 & 2. I had played his games and EF was one my favorite games of all time. Second day or so he emailed me and wanted my opinion on one of the scenarios planned for P&F (?). I was out of my league. I had never talked with him and thought everything would be run through WBill. I was somewhat surprised and nervous. He was very helpful. Kept us informed and wanted input from everybody. Something I'll never forget. Somewhere I still have the CDs he would send out with updated game files...well if the hurricane didn't get them.

i'm waiting for the 3rd hammer. i just lost my brother in law yesterday...

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 14
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 4:08:10 AM   
wodin

quote:

I'm a "new" war-gamer, compared to some of you vets, although I have been playing PC games my whole life, (since 1996) being born in 1992... my formative years were of Putt-Putt, Jump start second grade, and spyfox (nostalgia trip) But during and after high-school as I've been refining my pallet, my first real pc gaming experiences came in the form of Counterstrike:source, and team fortress 2.(I had a Nintendo 64 and Playstation 2 that I enjoyed as well.) I found as I began expanding into various genres that I preferred strategy and sandbox games over story-driven linear games. I'm finding it interesting now, that these old timers, have been hiding out playing games of such detail in their garage! AND THAT NOW THE ONLY THING THAT CAN SATISFY MY DEMANDS FOR REALISM ARE FULLY MODDED HOI4,(barely) AND MY RECENT DISCOVERY OF GARY GRIGSBY GAMES!!!!

And now your telling me that there is a second treasure trove of games in the John Tiller realm?

I think I've died and gone to heaven.

Anybody care to expand on how much effing time I have In between turns of WITE2 to play Panzer campaigns or a Squad campaign selection? I'm sure that they are worth their weight, and deserve to be played, but this... It's nearly unfathomable! It's like having to pick out a coffin! AND THEN GETTING A SECOND ONE FOR MY BROTHER! AND NOW WERE ARGUING ABOUT WHICH ONE OF US IS GOING TO GO FIRST, WHEN CLEARLY WE'RE GOING TO DO EACH OTHER IN, AND NOT EVEN HAVE TIME TO EVEN GET TO THE COFFIN STORE!!!!

I'll calm down now, and simply ask anybody reading this to enlighten me and and anybody else, on how you vets manage to exist in a world where these games exist simultaneously.

Thank you.

I say join the Blitz forum and the Squad Battles section. Get Squad Battles games and PBEM with the great bunch of lads over there.

(in reply to Parkkicks)
Post #: 15
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 8:19:28 AM   
jsqdcsq

Time is always the most valuable thing. I would say find a balance among so many good games. At least you should give each one a try.

Proletariat of the world, unite!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/29/2021 5:11:38 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. I spent many hours enjoying Panzer Campaigns Smolensk back around 2000. It was one of the games that inspired us to make War in the East.

I also loved playing his Panzer Campaigns, especially Smolensk-41! True, later I found out about WITE and after that I almost never played his games!

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 17
RE: Stumbled on too John Tiller - 4/30/2021 5:45:36 PM   
IslandInland

Sad to hear the news about John Tiller.

He truly was a titan of wargaming.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/squad-battles-vietnam/john-tiller-obituary

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Stumbled on too John Tiller Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI