Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> AAR >> RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 1:04:12 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 256 AA**
We returned a Narbonensis Commune spy to them unharmed. No point in being petty.
Also, Relations with Freiheim Hansa have turned cold. I hear there was some meddling faction turning their leadership against us. Ho hum.

Decided to move forward research on combat armour. It was either that or ‘propeller’, which is a crazy idea.

Spent the warmer months attempting to clear the area around Pacifica of nomads. Construction on vital assets to rebuild our civilisation continue, slowly. I didn't want to push too far with territory yet for fear of provoking a response.

Then… they came in the night. Silently. In the morning they were there, arrayed in the plains to the north-west. Kallendorf encampments.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:32:13 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 31
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 2:13:45 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 257 AA**
Those Kallendorf left as silently as they came. Maybe they were testing our resolve or maybe it was just a training exercise. Or, maybe they were on their way to disrupting our supply line to the east, similar to what they did just before the battle of Hagbard.

We shall just have to hope we can defend a much smaller front, for the time being. At least we can withdraw from the east if needed - there is nothing for us there.

Have been steadily supporting a Humanist faction in Freiheim Hansa, to what end I do not know.

Relations with Narbonensis Commune remain cold even though our diplomats assure me we have done almost all that is possible to improve them.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:32:50 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 32
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 2:53:09 PM   
deMangler

**interlude**
Terrible News! I have been pacing my office tearing my hair out wondering what to do about it. I never noticed before but Carbonrock never got round to having that loose panel fixed and now the thumping is driving me crazy. I am convening councils and meetings all over the place to brainstorm a solution.
Probably it is all down to the fact that we keep returning Narbonensis spies unharmed, against my better judgement, but Dutch and Silidark were right in that it did improve relations with them, but at such a huge cost! How could I have missed the danger?

I am rambling. Deep breath. Think!

We have degenerated into becoming a democracy!

This population is not ready! it is as reckless to give them power as it is to put an immature and unenlightened autocrat in charge. Perish the thought of that!.

Now the moral question is, do I work to return power to the autocracy, like the compassionate and enlightened leader that I am, or do I wash my hands of responsibility and let the ignorant masses choose their own fate?

Or, and this is out there, do I work to further increase the intelligence of the people while giving them the means to shape their own fate with a more commerce based democratic society?

If I do that it will upset almost the entire government staff, perhaps apart from Kirkland.

What a dilemma!

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 33
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 4:01:58 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Spring 257 AA**
The first citizen of Narbonensis Commune has praised our policies, he seems especially impressed by our mining operations.
Given the public nature of the praise I had to make some kind of response, so I publicly accepted the praise and gave some speech about our wonderful optimistic and productive population, or something, I can’t really remember, I had a migraine.
In any case – relations with them are now friendly, so – maybe I can get them to attack Kallendorf at some point.

Also, had Newt train up a couple of intelligence experts. If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 34
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 5:34:41 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: deMangler

If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.

Well said

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 35
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 6:15:00 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 257 AA**
An outbreak of disease devastated the population of Pacifica but it has done nothing to dent the new liberal optimism. Democracy is really taking hold, people are voting all over the place and having debates and everything.

Coincidentally, we are at the peak of the period of corruption.

Leo has been intolerably grumpy for a while now. I am going to throw a surprise party and present him with a medal of merit. It is either that or replace him, and I have grown used to having him around.

Now that our water supply has been restored I have ramped up production in the agri-domes again. Not a moment too soon.
The Kallendorf continue to harangue our road to the east but they do not seem very determined.

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: deMangler

If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.

Well said

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:33:19 PM >

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 36
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 7:17:31 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 257 AA**
A group of democratic activists were making a fuss about something. Newt has had them arrested and ‘taken care of’.
The population is angry and there will be unrest. I have to do something, something public. That is the nature of democracies, it is all about appearances.
I never thought I would hesitate to discipline Newt Zedigo. My instinct is to just ignore the whole thing, but I don’t have the luxury.
I will try to quietly reverse his decision. Problem is – we have to make it look like an accident when we ‘discover’ the bodies.
It will be all over the papers of course, ‘U-turn’ this and ‘elitist croneyism’ that, and Newt won’t be happy that I undermined him.

I have to give a policy speech today, where I will big-up the private sector. Hmmm. Maybe if I make an embarrassing gaffe it will take some of the headlines.
Also, let’s pay for some Mystic Temple feasts.
As a final distraction I had Adam Collins make a speech to try to attract some Free Folk to Pacifica. We managed to attract 0.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 37
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 7:57:30 PM   
deMangler

*Some Stats*
Just thought I'd add some stats for viewing. Not for any reason. Don't worry - we are not finished yet!

I believe that dip at the end is due the disease outbreak.

Here are a few more. I will have to play a lot more games and make a lot of comparisons before any of this makes any real sense to me, but it might put some things in context for the more experienced.

I am (hopefully) nowhere near finished with this game yet. I will put up saves and so forth for analysis when I am done and I would appreciate any feedback then. But for now I am happy in my ignorance just doing this thing. :)

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:33:51 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 38
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 8:11:34 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 257 AA**
Have decided to start an Applied Science Council. There are a couple of people in the reserve pool getting paid for nothing, so this should reduce that by %50.

Freiheim Hansa have started blackmailing us. 60cr or they’ll invade.
They are a Theocratic regime so maybe our translators got it mixed up with a request for funds to fix a church roof.
I am sending them the money.

I am not sure what is happening with the Kallendorf. We sometimes see their troops off in the distance across the rocky plains, but who knows what they are up to. All we can do is be ready.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 4/18/2021 8:12:19 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 39
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/18/2021 8:34:54 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 258 AA**
I think the Kallendorf are probing us.

Those orange 13 units are infantry with automatic rifles and padded envirosuits, and artillery.
I am having some more agricultural capacity built to feed our growing army of machine gunners. Lets see how long we can last if they do try to finish us off.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:35:27 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 40
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/19/2021 10:25:36 AM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 259 AA**
We have had a very peaceful and democratic year. Relations with Narbonensis Commune have grown by leaps and bounds. We have all sorts of trade deals and scientific exchanges. Foreign students blocking the paths and wearing strange clothes. Exotic foods in the marketplaces.
Our private sector is also booming and I have put a lot into helping it do so. There haven’t even been any embarrassing incidents that need covering up or people who need disappearing or anything.
Mercy Antares has been very quiet, in general though the staff seem to have a lot to get on with.
The Kallendorf have withdrawn again. They are featuring less and less in the public consciousness – people are more worried about lizard riders to the south and religious fundamentalists to the east. But no trouble with them really.
I do not share this sense of security that seems to have taken over. I am just biding time, slowly increasing our capacity, and preparing to be ready for whatever kicks-off.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 41
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/19/2021 2:58:52 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 259 AA**
I was expecting the investment in the private sector as well as raising taxes to put us out of the red when it comes to our treasury. We are losing about 60 credits per month, or 720 per year. This may not seem a lot, but I have run out of favours to collect on and we need to pay the wages.
Selling metals etc., is not going to cover it. One option would to be to cut back on the public sector. I think that could be problematic at this time.
We do have significant immigration from Jura – the Narbonensis Commune City to the south but I don’t think that is going to make enough of a difference before we run into serious problems. Talking of Narbonensis Commune, Dutch says we could, technically, ask them for money but I don’t want to go there, not until I have to.
For the time being I am increasing trade with Freiheim Hansa, the theocracy to the east, there could be good money in candles and sandals.
Poor old Leo. I caught sight of him carrying a box of files that took me right back to the first time we met, what, 15 years ago. Time has taken it’s toll for sure. Almost totally grey and developing a hunch.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 42
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/20/2021 1:02:55 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 259 AA**
If the arrangements we have with Freiheim Hansa and Narbonensis Commune hold, we don’t have to worry about threats from the east. Considering this and the occasional sightings of Kallendorf, I am relocating some of our forces to the west. I also have in the back of my mind, a plan to re-take Hagbard.
The previously mentioned financial difficulties mean it's either that or an inevitable decline into a failed state, possibly worse than we were in all those years ago, when I took over as Pope.

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 259 AA**
Sending ahead some scouts reveals that it may not be a moment too soon to move on Hagbard.
It looks like Narbonensis Commune has taken a lot of Kallendorf territory and may be very close to taking Hagbard themselves. If they get it we never will

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:35:54 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 43
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/20/2021 5:16:04 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 2060 AA**
Apparently, due to planetary alignments effecting the entrails of scientists, we are entering a ‘Period of Learning’. Kirkland wants total autocratic power over his estates, which as an idea that Newt hates and everybody else likes, makes it feel almost like the old days. I very much want to give it to him, but in the end, well in these times it just isn’t possible. He was very understanding.
And, saving the best till last…

We. Took. Back. Hagbard!
Who knows how long we can hold it? Clearly Freiheim Hansa and Narbonensis Commune both wanted it. They will have to break a deal with us to attack it.
My money would be on Freiheim Hansa being the problem, but of course I don’t have any money. So let’s see what unfolds.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:36:20 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 44
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/20/2021 6:06:01 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 2060 AA**
The strain of living in a democracy has turned Mercy Antares hair completely white. I of course still have a full head of powerful hair even with all the sacrifices and personal growth.
Talking of Mercy – she spoke to me in the first time in what seems like years today. She wants the number of ‘victory points’ to exceed 8.6. I think she is raving but I agreed. I don’t think she is long for this world.
The governor of Hagbard was no Titania Quintrock. They have even had that statue pulled down. We are already having problems with saboteurs and such. Well we shall soon see what the new governor is made of.
The price of metals has gone through the roof and we had plenty of stock, so I have sold what I could before the bubble burst. This meant we could return a Freiheim Hansa spy and decline payment – we really need to stay in their good books, and a legendary courtesan for Leo perhaps?

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 45
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/20/2021 7:19:16 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 2060 AA**
We are trying to claim as much territory around Hagbard as possible before Freiheim Hansa and Narbonensis Commune get it all, mainly for the purpose of keeping the population happy - there isn’t anything there apart from rocks. We appear to be capable of holding a line against Kallendorf, they run from our artillery. They must be having problems somewhere.

We have had to have the troops crack down on legitimate protests… disturbances… I mean, in Hagbard, and I let Mercy stop some theatre group that was being disrespectful to our government. She tried not to show how much she enjoyed doing it, but… you know that thing when someone is a bit too old for the leather trousers….

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:36:47 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 46
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/21/2021 9:19:49 AM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 261 AA**
We have started to occasionally use the power of the corporations to subdue unrest in Hagbard. Mercy is still being kept busy dealing with library disruptions and so-on.
It appears democracies use more electricity than we are used to. It is down to the continuous need to control entertain the population through mass media, so I am having more capacity built.
Freiheim Hansa’s blackmail demands are becoming more extortionate, and there doesn’t appear to be a way to get friendlier with them apart from maybe becoming a theocracy… Hmmmm. Divine deMangler does have a ring to it.
On the subject of politics – Dutch tells me the only thing stopping us getting a victory pact with Narbonensis Commune is that the dominant faction over there would never agree to it. We are going to look at ways of changing that.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 4/21/2021 10:18:56 AM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 47
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/21/2021 12:11:54 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 261 AA**
I received some suggestions for my next policy speech, from our ‘think tanks’, another democracy thing. One of the recommendations was that we promise to go to war with Freiheim Hansa. I think I will just promise to do everything everyone wants except when It is impossible due to terrorism.
The Mystics are doing a great job keeping people happy in Hagbard, they can really throw a party. I am starting an air-force research council so that we can maybe incorporate rocket engines into that.
Due to this generally increased happiness, and the fact we are still losing money, I called Alice (that is the new governor of Hagbard – into meritocracy but otherwise quite nice) and informed her that her zone was to become properly incorporated. Hopefully that will bring in more taxes.
Finally – we have been creeping west and are now getting rather close to some Kallendorf cities.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:37:17 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 48
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/21/2021 3:32:19 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 262 AA**
We have the Kallendorf town of Waldau under partial siege. I am being very cautious as we have vary little ability to cover ground, but being somewhat aggressive is the whole point. I have no idea to what extent the two other major powers are harrying Kallendorf, but they are certainly not standing up to us very strongly.

We have been relying on machine-gunners and artillery with embedded priests, soon our gunners should have combat armour and quad machine guns.

Leo had me undergo a ‘therapy session’, because it might help with these recurring migraines. Apparently it is the psychic strain caused by my underlying neurology having a semato-cognitive allergic reaction to the political humours that have accumulated in the atmosphere over the past few years. I should either integrate democracy fully into my gestalt, or allow my natural autocratic tendencies to fly free like the beautiful rainbow-plumaged bird they are.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:37:43 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 49
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/21/2021 7:47:02 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 263 AA**
Narbonensis Commune forces have been gathering, along with our own, outside Waldau. We have been pounding the city with artillery and hope to be able to time it right to get possession before them. We are going to ninja it from under their noses, Leo said.

Talking of Narbonensis Commune , it is becoming near impossible to maintain our good relations with them, Dutch says it is probably interference from factions and such – he didn't say, but I imagine he was thinking, that it could also be down to my needing to use some undemocratic methods to contain unrest and enforce some policies.
Technically though, we still have free and fair, and transparent elections so, as a democracy themselves if they want to respond with anything other than some sanctions and a strongly worded statement then I would say that is the pot calling the cattle back after they have bolted.

Alice Rataban (the governer of Hagbard) wanted to throw (another) party. The excuse this time is to bring the veterans together.
Mercy Antares said, and I quote, ‘There are reasons we don’t want to expose our populations to sight of our sometimes handicapped and traumatized veterans’

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:38:09 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 50
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/22/2021 1:05:36 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumm 2063 AA**
We took Waldau!
Right from under the advancing guns of Narbonisis Commune!

Unfortunately Freiheim Hansa took Kallendorf city. There may by a good side to having a bunch of priests in a large city nearby, my therapy is helping me look on the bright side of things.
Now the goal is to just try to survive and hope we can find some way of not being crushed between the Commune and the Hansa, an eclair between a rock and a hard plaice.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:38:44 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 51
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/22/2021 6:43:17 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 264 AA**
After some manoeuvring this is where we are at.

Click for full size.

Narbonensis Commune to the south, Freiheim Hansa to the north and the remains of Kallendorf to the west. As well as another outfit we have not had any dealings with and know nothing about – Hornstaat.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:39:10 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 52
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/22/2021 7:35:36 PM   
deMangler

*Interlude*
I feel the game has come to a point where I have to decide, what is the most interesting way forward. I have, probably, a lot of options that I am ignorant of because I am still scratching the surface of the whole thing.
I am tempted to try to foment some kind of conflict between north and south. I possibly could also cause havoc with airborne units with a little research. I could also experiment with OOB's and OHQ's, which I have never done.
I do have some cash, strategems and PP's available, as well as some experienced leaders, but the use of all this needs to be co-ordinated if it is not to be wasted.
I have no illusions as to whether this game is winnable. I am pretty sure the AI might just decide to crush me in a couple of turns. On the other hand, I am just attempting to hang-on in the most educational and entertaining way.

Here is a save at this point

If anyone wants to be one of the many deranged voices in deMangler's (the crazed Pope of the Erisians, not me) head - feel free to post any thoughts here. I am probably not going to play another turn until I have caught up a bit more on the storified .pdf, which might take a day.

:)

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 53
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/23/2021 12:36:50 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 265 AA**
Well, what have we here?

Hornstaat have shown themselves on our border. A ‘Mobile Monk Battalion’.

I thought they were begging so I tried to give them 400cr, but they refused.

Perhaps I can get Leo to talk to them, maybe they brew beer.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:39:50 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 54
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/23/2021 1:19:41 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Early Spring 265 AA**
The monks left. No monk brewed beer for us. Shame – we could really use some, we have been fighting a disease in Waldau City for a few months now. Our repeated efforts to either learn about it or quarantine it have been totally fruitless.
I think it has something to do with that time we opened that sealed vault, just after we took the city from Kallendorf. The vault that had the sign on the door saying ‘Danger very serious and difficult-to-learn-about disease. Do not open.’
Hrrumph. I seem to remember people trying to talk me out of it, but… Anyway if only we could find a way to weaponise it...

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 55
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/23/2021 6:34:39 PM   
Malagant

Maybe you could use some spies to figure out the Tech Levels of the potential enemies, and pick on the one with the lowest tech?

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 56
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/23/2021 8:22:21 PM   
deMangler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malagant

Maybe you could use some spies to figure out the Tech Levels of the potential enemies, and pick on the one with the lowest tech?

Thanks! that is one of the things I was definitely not paying enough attention to.

I am just learning now how to check out that stuff. It is amazing how you can put 300 hours into this game and still have so much to learn. I just looked at the tech details for regimes in the regimes tab in reports for the first time.
It is pretty scary to learn that Narbo Commune has tactical nukes....

< Message edited by deMangler -- 4/23/2021 8:27:53 PM >

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 57
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/24/2021 7:49:58 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 266 AA**

Looks like Narbonensis Commune and Hornstaat may be… establishing borders.

Hornstaat are really very powerful, Silidark tells me, so it could become interesting.

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:40:17 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 58
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/25/2021 9:58:41 AM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 267 AA**
We have been watching and waiting. On the domestic side we have been keeping busy with infrastructure projects. Meanwhile, Silidark and Dutch have been doing sneaky operations - we have quite a lot of intel. Generally Narbonensis Commune have the tech, Freiheim Hansa are not that advanced, but Hornstaat, who we only learned about over the last year or so… are scary. No intel on their tech yet, but this is their extent…

Freiheim Hansa: Green
Narbonensis Commune: Blue
Hornstaat: Salmon
Erisians: Brownish

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:40:43 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 59
RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR - 4/25/2021 2:46:41 PM   
deMangler

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 267 AA**

This was on my desk this morning...

Ahhh, sweet intelligence...

< Message edited by deMangler -- 6/10/2021 12:41:15 PM >

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> AAR >> RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI