Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about theater boxes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question about theater boxes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 7:26:32 AM   
BossGnome

Hi,

I'm starting to get into the game (which is really great by the way; a really big improvement on WITE!) and I had a few questions that, by the life of me, I could not find answered in the manual.

1) If you are playing with air AI assist, is it impossible to manually transfer air assets between theater boxes? I tried to find a "transfer" button to, say, send a squadron from Western Europe to North Africa, but couldn't.

2) If I transfer a ground unit from 1 theater to another, where can I see what effect this would have? For example, in June 1941, it seems that northern Africa is quite undermanned. So if I want to transfer a unit from Western Europe or Norway to that theater, how can I view what % change this will effect on the required troops for both boxes? At the moment I am just guessing.

3) What about naval assets? Some theater boxes are telling me I am lacking naval assets. I guess I can do nothing about this? Maybe strap a few boeys to some Panzer 2 chassis and call them torpedo boats?

4) How can I send on-map units to other theaters? For example, if I want to transfer on-map security divisions to the Partisan War, or even a few infantry regiments to Italy or something, how can I do this? I did see that many units have a set historical transfer date, but is there a "go to reserve" button that I can click somewhere? I couldn't find it... :(

That's it for now. Sorry of these questions seem obvious; I just really started getting into the game maybe 4-5 days ago.

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 7:38:26 AM   
loki100

This assumes you have read 13.3.4.

1) not really sure, the AI-assist is set up to transfer weakened units to the reserve and move fresh units back to the map. I don't think this should stop manual inter-theatre transfers but it may do so (I've never combined using the AI-assist with manual control of the TBs)

2) Look at the theatre box display, you'll see it show up as an improvement in the % of needed garrison

N Africa is harder to influence, basically the game assumes that what is there is close to the Axis logistics limit

3) nothing you can do about this line - it only affects N Africa - maybe send torpedo and maritime patrol aircraft to N Africa or Italy?

4) Mostly just change the HQ on the unit counter - if the unit is eligible for transfer (see 13.1.3) then a list of the possible Theatres comes up

Generally, if you want to do full manual control, suggest a careful read of chapter 13.

< Message edited by loki100 -- 4/26/2021 7:39:28 AM >

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 8:00:39 AM   
BossGnome

Thanks for the quick answer!

Regarding 2) OK, so, taking the example of transferring troops from WE to NA; I can see that if I, say, transfer the Denmark SS regiment the troop quota for WE goes down from something like 93 to 92% (i.e. 1% difference). But, given that there are over 1 million troops in WE and just over 150K in NA, I would assume that the "weight" of an infantry regiment is almost 10x in that theater compared to WE... or is that wrong?

Since it takes 4 turns for the transfer to take place, the NA theater box doesn't immediately improve when I click the transfer button.

Few small additional questions:

1) What are the negative consequences of being below required strength in theater boxes where there is currently no combat going on? Would a weakly defended WE speed up D-Day, for example?

2) What are some commonly-used tactics to handle theater boxes by experienced players? Is there an agreed-upon best way to go about it (i.e. stack troops in finland, pull as many people out of Norway as possible, etc.)

Would be happy to hear what others' thoughts are about this!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 8:19:08 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: BossGnome

Thanks for the quick answer!

Regarding 2) OK, so, taking the example of transferring troops from WE to NA; I can see that if I, say, transfer the Denmark SS regiment the troop quota for WE goes down from something like 93 to 92% (i.e. 1% difference). But, given that there are over 1 million troops in WE and just over 150K in NA, I would assume that the "weight" of an infantry regiment is almost 10x in that theater compared to WE... or is that wrong?

Since it takes 4 turns for the transfer to take place, the NA theater box doesn't immediately improve when I click the transfer button.

Few small additional questions:

1) What are the negative consequences of being below required strength in theater boxes where there is currently no combat going on? Would a weakly defended WE speed up D-Day, for example?

2) What are some commonly-used tactics to handle theater boxes by experienced players? Is there an agreed-upon best way to go about it (i.e. stack troops in finland, pull as many people out of Norway as possible, etc.)

Would be happy to hear what others' thoughts are about this!

N Africa is harder to gain the bonus due to how its set up - the assumption is the axis could only just (sometimes) supply what was there, so you can add a lot and gain very little (otherwise its too vulnerable to being loaded up). Regular reminder, no-one is playing the Western Allies and they have no agency, so the rewards are constrained as a result

1) steady loss of VP and AP, poss events fire earlier - see Section 40 of the manual for the event chains

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 10:20:04 AM   
dudefan

Is there a linear bonus to stacking soviet garrison as axis? Or just keep it at 100% and extra units are useless?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 11:21:02 AM   
loki100

well its not linear

but you suppress partisan activity that way and feasibly can trigger extra VP/AP

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 4:16:22 PM   
dudefan

So having 130% has a benefit over having 110%?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about theater boxes - 4/26/2021 4:21:57 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudefan

So having 130% has a benefit over having 110%?

yes, it makes it more likely that the positive events will fire

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Question about theater boxes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI