Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Port on WINE and MAC OS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Port on WINE and MAC OS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 8:45:09 AM   
governato

has anyone tried to install War Plan using WINE on a Mac?

Great to see a lot of good players from other WWII games on this board.
Post #: 1
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 8:47:24 AM   
Franciscus

Hi Governato

I tried, but without success so far...

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 2
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 8:53:44 AM   
juntoalmar

I don't know if the game uses any specifics from DirectX or other Windows libraries, but being developed in Unity I guess a port to Linux/Mac may be feasible.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 3
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 9:07:15 AM   
Franciscus

I think one of the issues is directx10, yes...

Former AJE team member

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 4
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 12:52:51 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Look for the Zovs post on installing on a Mac. He got it working.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 5
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 1:42:25 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

Look for the Zovs post on installing on a Mac. He got it working.

Yes, but using a virtual machine. I am also playing it that way, with Parallels.

What we would like would be to be able to play using WINE (sort of a windows emulator), with better performance and speed.

Another point is that as the game uses Unity, one could expect that a true Mac version would be easy to have been done (but as usually Matrix does not care very much about Mac users...)

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 6
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 2:17:56 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Try setting the graphics to simple. It doesn't make a difference on performance because the graphics is very low use in the game. Notice the nice scrolling.

So it could be, maybe the higher settings are using more GPU and causing slowdowns. I am just guessing here.

As for Mac. The issue is that Macs are too problematic with specific errors that are hard to solve. So many OS versions. So many different formats. I also know nothing about Mac.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 7
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/3/2019 5:02:08 PM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

Try setting the graphics to simple. It doesn't make a difference on performance because the graphics is very low use in the game. Notice the nice scrolling.

So it could be, maybe the higher settings are using more GPU and causing slowdowns. I am just guessing here.

As for Mac. The issue is that Macs are too problematic with specific errors that are hard to solve. So many OS versions. So many different formats. I also know nothing about Mac.

Macs are difficult :) ..but WINE is great and I use it to play PC games on my Mac...(Flashpoint Campaigns, Command Ops, TOAW) so it is a great resource...and it is free.

Post #: 8
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/7/2019 4:15:18 PM   
Franciscus

Hi
Just an update

Contacted CodeWeavers support (makers of Crossover), and the error log seems to indicate that the inability to launch WarPlan via with Wine is indeed because of the game exe requires directx 10. Which Wine does not support fully now...

They told me a better support for directx 10 is expected in the near future.

A pity that WarPlan requires directx 10...

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 9
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/7/2019 5:51:07 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Let me see if I can adjust the DIAX requirements in the game engine which is Unity.

Which one do you need? Will 9 do?

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 10
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 11/7/2019 6:00:55 PM   
Franciscus

Yes, supposedly directx 9 would do.

But I was just giving feedback to other players interested, I am not asking nor presuming you should spend any time or effort trying to accommodate something that is not supposed to be supported in the first place!

Best regards

Former AJE team member

Post #: 11
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/10/2020 2:48:15 PM   
Franciscus

Hi

Just to report some good news and a question to Alvaro

I am a beta tester for Crossover and I am happy to report that with the release candidate of Crossover 19.01 WarPlan installs and runs perfect, natively, on my iMac 27 running Catalina (it needs a Windows 7, 8 or 10 bottle, 64 bits, and CoreFonts installed).

The question: For some reason I am not able to change the resolution on the initial screen - I change it, but it makes no effect, being always at 2048x1152) - is there any config file where the resolution can be changed manually ?

Regards

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 12
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/10/2020 3:31:28 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Just the initial screen. But you can grab the edges and move it. Or maybe you can change the resolution on the emulator. OR you can goto options and change the scale or using the [ or ] keys.

Can you list here what is needed to run WarPlan on Macs so I can share with others?

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 13
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/10/2020 3:42:01 PM   
Franciscus

Thanks Alvaro

I will post everything for sure, but will wait for the official release of Crossover 19.01

Regards

Former AJE team member

Post #: 14
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/14/2020 4:37:01 PM   
Franciscus

Hi

With Official release of Crossover 19.01, I am happy to report that WarPlan works flawlessly on my iMac 27 2019 running Catalina, without Windows.

First, I should note that I have absolutely no financial interest on Crossover, I just love and support this software. Crossover is a paid application, based on WINE, with great support, that allows easy use of Windows-only software on Mac (or Linux), using WINE, without Windows, but with minimum hassle involved. Codeweavers (the makers of Crossover) are the main supporters of the continuing development of WINE.
This is not a virtual machine, and no Windows version is needed.

The crown of glory of Crossover was achieved last year, with the release of version 19, that allows the running of almost all 32 bit windows programs in a 64 bit-only OS (Catalina)

I use Crossover, and most of my games run fine on Mac, without Windows. Strategic Command, WITE, DC: Barbarossa, FOG2 and Empires, JTS games, and many more. And now WarPlan.

Crossover has a great feature, named crossties. Basically it is a pre-made "bottle" that allows a quick and easy installation. A crosstie is already created for Warplan

So, without further ado, if you want to play WarPlan on your Mac, you just have to:

- install Crossover (14-day free trial; after, you will have to buy a license)
- open Crossover and click "Install a Windows Application"
- type WarPlan and select it from the list.
- a premade "windows 7 64 bit" bottle with CoreFonts installed will be automatically created for you
- click Continue
- click to select the installer exe that you must of course download from Matrix. Have your SN available, as usually.
- if a warning window appears, just click Cancel (OSx security is a bit paranoid)
- Let the install process proceed, do not bother to install .Net.
- Enjoy

Turning "on" high resolution mode in the bottle settings permits to change resolution at will, just like a native windows installation.

If you want any further help, feel free to ask

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 1/14/2020 5:30:35 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 15
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/14/2020 6:44:37 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Thanks buddy. I'll put this in the notes.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 16
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/14/2020 7:17:06 PM   
Zovs

I added a note in another thread.

Essentially I am running as the base O/S iMac Catalina (the latest). I have 40 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. I also have the pro version of VMWare which is super easy to use and way more stable then Oracle VirtualBox. I allocated 2 CPU's, 8 GB of RAM and 200 GB of my 1 TB SSD.

Warplan (as well as GG WitE/WitW, WiF, DC: Barbarossa, DC: Blitzkreig from Warsaw to Paris, DC: Case Blue, SC3 (all of them), TOAW IV, Tigers on the Hunt, Panzer Corps, Desert War, John Tillers Campaign Series, Command Ops 2, CWIE2, World War II and Steel Panthers WW2/MBT all work splendidly!

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 17
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 1/14/2020 7:51:47 PM   
Franciscus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I added a note in another thread.

Essentially I am running as the base O/S iMac Catalina (the latest). I have 40 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. I also have the pro version of VMWare which is super easy to use and way more stable then Oracle VirtualBox. I allocated 2 CPU's, 8 GB of RAM and 200 GB of my 1 TB SSD.

Warplan (as well as GG WitE/WitW, WiF, DC: Barbarossa, DC: Blitzkreig from Warsaw to Paris, DC: Case Blue, SC3 (all of them), TOAW IV, Tigers on the Hunt, Panzer Corps, Desert War, John Tillers Campaign Series, Command Ops 2, CWIE2, World War II and Steel Panthers WW2/MBT all work splendidly!

Yes, I also have a VM setup (I use Parallels) and almost all my games run well. BUT, for that we need to pay for a Virtual Machine (Oracle VirtualBox is free but very limited and at least for me didn't work at all) and for a copy of Windows 10.

With Crossover (WINE) all the RAM, VRAM and other resources of the Mac are used directly by the games, so at least theoretically they run more smoothly. At least to start the game using Crossover is as fast as any native Mac application, much faster than via Parallels. There are some games that do not run with Crossover, though (yet )

To each it's own, it's great to have options

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 1/14/2020 7:55:11 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 18
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 5/18/2020 7:19:25 PM   
governato

These are all great news! I am a fan of both VM and WINE, so I will give it a go. There should be a sticky post for Mac ports...

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 19
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 5/19/2020 7:15:45 PM   
sanch

I have Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 with wine-devel. Warplan works, with a couple minor wonky issues:

If you alt-tab to another screen and then alt-tab back, the mouse is weird (can still play the game though). Similarly, if you play windowed and move the window, then it appears the cursor position reported to Warplan is bad. This smells like a wine issue and not a Warplan issue.

And, although my monitor is 1680x1050, Warplan wants to run with a max resolution of (I think) 1600x900.

Otherwise, it works (apparently) just fine.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 20
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 4/26/2021 10:03:42 AM   
almeath

Thanks for these instructions. I have been able to get the latest version of WarPlan working using CrossOver 20 in macOS Mojave on my Intel iMac.

However, I am experiencing a problem when quitting the game. When I click 'quit' on the main menu of WarPlan, all the menu items disappear, leaving just the empty brown window with the WarPlan title still visible. The music is still playing but the game will not close. I click on the red button in the Mac menu bar but that will not quit Cross over either. In the Activity Monitor on the Mac side nothing appears to be going wrong. If I bring up the Force Quit menu on the Mac side I see WarPlan (Quick Start) and CrossOver both running. To get out of WarPlan I need to force quit it from this menu. That is not really an ideal way to quit the program. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

The other question I have is that I cannot figure out where to install mod files on the Mac. I see that the C drive is located under Library/Application Support/Cross Over/Bottles/WarPlan. I have searched throughout the C drive and there is no campaign directory or anywhere for the mod files to be placed. Has anyone been able to install mods when playing under CrossOver and if so, how do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

< Message edited by almeath -- 4/26/2021 10:04:58 AM >

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 21
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 4/26/2021 1:30:17 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Mods go under mygames/warplan/scenarios/scenario name

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to almeath)
Post #: 22
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 4/26/2021 3:12:56 PM   
almeath

Thanks, I can see what it is doing now. Instead of placing items in the My Documents folder in the C Drive container in the 'bottle', CrossOver places the items into the Mac's Documents folder. I am used to Wineskins being self-contained bottles, but CrossOver merges the Windows and Mac documents folders by storing everything on the Mac side.

Now all I have to figure out is why WarPlan is crashing on exit. It works fine in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, so it appears to be a problem specific to CrossOver.

Post #: 23
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 4/26/2021 3:26:35 PM   
Franciscus

Hi

I have WarPlan running perfectly fine with Crossover on my iMac (running BigSur)

Are you using latest Crossover version ?
Did you install WarPlan in a windows 7 64 bit bottle ?
Did you NOT install .Net ?
Do you have High Resolution mode turned on in the bottle settings ?

Regards

< Message edited by Franciscus -- 4/26/2021 3:27:57 PM >

Former AJE team member

(in reply to almeath)
Post #: 24
RE: Port on WINE and MAC OS - 4/27/2021 3:44:46 AM   
almeath

I am using macOS Mojave and the latest version of CrossOver downloaded in the last couple of days.

So far I have tried re-installing, using the "WarPlan" pre-set available when you type the name for the bottle. I checked the bottle settings and it does default to Windows 7.

I tried with and without the high resolution mode and Net install. Unfortunately those make no difference.

I will have to try later on my MacBook Pro with Big Sur.

(in reply to Franciscus)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Port on WINE and MAC OS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI