Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SUPPLY

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> SUPPLY Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SUPPLY - 4/29/2021 10:36:22 PM   
MemoryLeak

HI,

Unfortunately I have more money than common sense so I bought this game anyway. I doubt if I ever figure out how to play it but I am going to try.

So far I have watched six hours of "Let's Play Tutorials" on YouTube. No accent and seems fairly knowledgeable about the game.

But he assumes I know how supply works. And I don't. I can't find a tutorial that covers it. You (AL) made a two minute one that was useless. I found something in just WarPlan(Europe?) But i am still lost.

Is there any comprehensible-by-humans information about supply anywhere? I have read the manual until I am cross-eyed, but there are a lot of aspects that I'm sure that makes sense to the programmer but they are very difficult to understand for the customer.

Specifically a hex with a supply rating of 9 and one with a rating of 1 can supply a unit. But in a nut shell what is the difference?

And slightly off topic, While watching the Let's Play videos, I noticed a lot of units with an orange circle around them. The narrator didn't refer to it. Can you tell me what they represent?

Thank you.

If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Post #: 1
RE: SUPPLY - 4/29/2021 10:55:13 PM   
AlbertN

Each turn units will recover Combat Efficiency. To a degree.

There is a formula that right now I do not remember BUT it is affected by the supply number in a ratio that goes to twice that number, as %.

It was something like 6 + Supply*2 % of what was missing of your total efficiency, or as flat number.
Apologies for the half wonky answer, but I am just undusting old knowledge.

Without going down in the math aspect of the game, just see that a Supply 9 hex allow more rest, medicines, food, ammos, etc to arrive to your unit.

Port size (blue anchors!) determine how much supply can debark in that port (then divided to units that are around in case of islands, etc) so that you cannot overstack tiny atols or use them as major naval bases.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 2
RE: SUPPLY - 4/29/2021 11:24:25 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak

HI,

Unfortunately I have more money than common sense so I bought this game anyway. I doubt if I ever figure out how to play it but I am going to try.

So far I have watched six hours of "Let's Play Tutorials" on YouTube. No accent and seems fairly knowledgeable about the game.

But he assumes I know how supply works. And I don't. I can't find a tutorial that covers it. You (AL) made a two minute one that was useless. I found something in just WarPlan(Europe?) But i am still lost.

Is there any comprehensible-by-humans information about supply anywhere? I have read the manual until I am cross-eyed, but there are a lot of aspects that I'm sure that makes sense to the programmer but they are very difficult to understand for the customer.

Specifically a hex with a supply rating of 9 and one with a rating of 1 can supply a unit. But in a nut shell what is the difference?

And slightly off topic, While watching the Let's Play videos, I noticed a lot of units with an orange circle around them. The narrator didn't refer to it. Can you tell me what they represent?

Thank you.

Port supply is what I can't get comfortable with!

Tony

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 3
RE: SUPPLY - 4/29/2021 11:41:10 PM   
MemoryLeak

Okay, that kind of confirms what I thought about the supply number. whether it is 9 or 1 you still get supply but the other factors suffer. So if the hex is a supply level of 1 and your unit requires 30 supply , nothing happens except the efficiency won't improve.

Thank you.

And I am doing turn one right now and some figures don't match:

in the build menu for Australia it has under stockpile: OIL 9.

At the port of Sydney it has: OIL 1.

The Canberra CA Sqd in port in Sydney has: OIL 26.

I can't fly the Aircraft out of Sydney for lack of oil but I can move the ship. Any idea what is happening here?

Thanks.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 4
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 1:35:42 AM   
gwgardner

Naval units use oil when remaining at sea. In port they don't use oil.

Remember that some units require a maintenance amount of oil. Leaving an air unit on 'full support' can sometimes use up your oil resources due to responses to enemy actions. Only leave air units on full support if you can afford that oil use, otherwise put them on mission mode.

Oil stockpiles are a global factor, so I'm not sure what you mean by Sydney having 1.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 5
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 1:44:00 AM   
gwgardner

Port supply provides all units with 'basic supply,' if in range of the port. Use the 's' key to see the value of supply getting to any given hex away from the port. The distance to port, and the port capacity, have a major impact on whether the unit can remain at strength. Go over the capacity of the port, in terms of units that need to be supplied, and some units will lose strength (efficiency), not be able to get reinforcements, etc.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 1:45:54 AM   
MemoryLeak

THe Canberra CA Sqd is in the port of Sydney. When I click on (select) that unit, the unit info box appears. In the upper left corner of the info box is what appears to be an oil drop. Next to the oil drop is the number 26.

I thought that was an indication of how much oil was around, but none of the three figures match up so it is very confusing. But the stockpile figure is 9 and the port figure is 1. So how do I tell how much oil is available. ANd what does the nubmer26 refer to?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 7
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 1:57:11 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby42
Port supply is what I can't get comfortable with!

Here's a thread from 2019 where I calculated supply costs for units drawing from port supply. It's a year and a half old so things may have changed some as I've been away from the game for almost a year, so check the numbers against whatever the costs are stated to be in the new manual. Once you figure out the costs, port supply is easy to calculate, it's knowing the costs at a glance that made all the difference for me.

Any unit that successfully draws on port supply is then eligible to recover efficiency and strength based on the supply number of the hex it occupies. Units that exceed the port supply capacity are in basic supply and cannot recover strength. You can spend a supply truck on them for a small boost in efficiency, but normal recovery will not occur for them.

Jim

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4717111

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 4/30/2021 2:08:17 AM >

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 8
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 2:05:48 AM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: MemoryLeak

THe Canberra CA Sqd is in the port of Sydney. When I click on (select) that unit, the unit info box appears. In the upper left corner of the info box is what appears to be an oil drop. Next to the oil drop is the number 26.

I thought that was an indication of how much oil was around, but none of the three figures match up so it is very confusing. But the stockpile figure is 9 and the port figure is 1. So how do I tell how much oil is available. ANd what does the nubmer26 refer to?

The Commonwealth naval units use the UK oil stockpile, thus the 26 you saw when clicking on the Aussie naval unit. Check and see if the UK oil stockpile is 26.

Sidney is a port level 9. I'm guessing at your point in the game, the Aussie oil stockpile is 1. I'd have to see some screenshots to be sure.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 9
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 3:02:14 AM   
AlvaroSousa

Make a convoy from the US to Australia and give them oil

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 10
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 4:03:54 AM   
MemoryLeak

Hi,

gwgardner --I will check to see if the 26 corresponds to the UK oil at that time.

and thanks Jim D Burns for the link.

And Al thanks for the reply, I watched six hours of videos so far because I found someone who can be understood. I actually was following his opening moves and was going to establish a convoy consisting of oil and Production points to Australia.

The three different numbers representing oil doesn't make sense. But I will just have to live with it or stop playing.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 11
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 10:17:53 AM   
gwgardner

correction: Sydney is a port level 7

Make and post screenshots of your supply questions. shift-Windows key-s puts Windows in screen capture mode, then drag a box around the area you want to capture, and it goes to the clipboard, then save into an image viewer like irfanview. Then post here in the forum. The supply/oil system is one of the superior game features of Warplan Pacific and I believe you'll find it so once you understand it.

Here's the situation at Sydney at the start of the game. Port level 7, in main supply, but Australia is very low in its oil stockpile. The bomber unit is useless until that stockpile grows next turn. The US or UK need to convoy in oil to Australia. The Canberra naval unit is drawing on the Royal Navy's oil supply chain (ie the UK oil stockpile), so can operate at sea.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 4/30/2021 10:46:29 AM >

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 12
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 10:20:24 AM   
AlvaroSousa

The manual has a labeled image of the convoy screen.

Oil top under country is how much
Oil middle what will be in trade
Oil on bottom left list what is in convoy

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 13
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 2:40:51 PM   
MemoryLeak

I will try to get the screenshots. Problem I have with that is the unreasonable size limit that matrix puts on the pictures.

BUt in your example, even though three figures represent the same oil reserves is ridiculous, why doesn't the air group have enough oil to fly to a new location? WHen I try it, it says it is out of oil. But it clearly indicates there is plenty o oil.

ANd I have never come across a Commonwealth oil supply yet.

I took two screen shots. One is the unit info screen for the Canberra CA SQD which shows oil of 26.

The other shot is the build menu for Australia which shows oil stockpile of 5.

What information is the game telling me?

Now the goddamn thing is telling me I can only upload one screenshot per post. They make this as hard as they possibly can

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MemoryLeak -- 4/30/2021 2:58:29 PM >

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

Post #: 14
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 2:54:20 PM   
Starstruck

Great response gwgardner - very helpful to those of us reading along to see the screen shots and overlaid explanation.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 15
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 2:59:26 PM   
MemoryLeak

here is the second screenshot.

Which shows oil is 26.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MemoryLeak -- 4/30/2021 3:00:55 PM >

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to Starstruck)
Post #: 16
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 3:56:54 PM   
stjeand

First screen shot is production screen.

First oil number how much you produce...0
Second oil number is how much you need to have units...0
Third number is how much you have in your stockpile to use...1

So Australia has 1 oil...if a plane requires 2 to fly...it can't.

Naval unit shows you how much oil the country it belongs too has in stock. In this case the Aus CA is being supplied by the UK, color of the unit give that away.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 17
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 4:05:56 PM   
MemoryLeak

Yeah, I was in a hurry when I posted it. ok, I thought the Canberra CA Sqd was an Australian ship. Why dies the name display as Aus. Canberra Sqd?

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 18
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 4:42:56 PM   
AlvaroSousa

The naval group labeled that is a group of ships. Not just a single ship. With CA sqds it is a mix of CAs, CLs, and DDs

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to MemoryLeak)
Post #: 19
RE: SUPPLY - 4/30/2021 5:40:09 PM   
MemoryLeak

Hi Alvaro I realize it is a group of ships, I was just questioning the ownership. I thought they were Australian ships but for some reason they are UK.

And I pretend if there are a total of three strength points , that it contains three ships in the group. Just my way of dealing with this abstract notion

Now if I can just figure out naval warfare. Who can attack whom and when and how far away. With Raider and fleet thrown in. ...

That is my next goal.

Supply and oil are starting to sink in. If the numbers would just be consistent.

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> SUPPLY Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI