Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[need save] Soviet 1943 AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> [need save] Soviet 1943 AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[need save] Soviet 1943 AI - 5/1/2021 9:07:56 PM   
MechFO

I don't know how many games have been played out to 1943 and beyond with recent builds so I'm placing this here as an additional data point.

end of 1943 now, moral level 100

1941 took Leningrad, Rzhev, Vyazma, Orel, Stalino, Sevastopol
1942 took Tula, Kharkov, Kursk, Voronezh and Rostov
1943 took Kaukasus

I lost the initiative in early 1943, so I'm playing the game out just to see what the AI does.

Kaukasus 1943 was fairly tough. The bad supply, large front, few available infantry and decent Soviet units meant that for the first time my mobile forces needed to be used on a large scale for breakthrough battles.

The AI totally overcommited to the defence of the Kaukasus. It largely denuded the front at Moscow to shovel units into the middle of nowhere down south. I did not take advantage of this until the November frost. I don't know if my advance made the AI properly repopulate the front with units or if this would have happened anyway.

It seems to be hardwired to attack, even if it is in a weak position. While the offensives in the Caucasus was rolling on, and large parts of the front becoming very thin, it still insisted on doing very expensive attacks. It should have switched to defence to build up strength.

It has an obsession with Leningrad. IMO once Leningrad falls, the AI should be told to focus elsewhere unless the Soviet Army is really large. The defensive terrain is so strong and attacks so expensive, it bleeds itself out for little gain. At the same time this should be the first part of the front that gets stripped if the AI needs units, with Leningrad gone, there's nothing up there to defend for the Soviets. Instead the AI persisted in attacks and concentrating units there even though other, much more important, parts of the front were denuded.

The individual units have become quite powerful, but because the unit sizes are so much larger, if the Soviet Army is not significantly larger than the German one, it's counter density can become dangerously low. Maybe the AI should focus on Rifle Divisions whenever the Soviet Army is not x amount larger than the German one.

The AI needs to learn to form a backline. For the entire game it seems to only form a crust defence with a few units back. This second line needs to be expanded to deal with the encirclements.

The Soviet Airforce is huge but dormant. Since there seems to be a limit to how much GS is flown, large parts of the Red Airforce stays dormant every turn. This helps the Germans keep losses low and preserve their high experience Fighter units. Consider making the Soviets fly GA on intended target hexes for attrition attacks or airfield attacks or increase it's mission settings for GS.

The entire Azerbaijan flipped to Axis control when I took Makjathkala, probably due to supply shortages. Consider forcing the AI to make a supply convoy to Baku.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/3/2021 4:29:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet 1943 AI - 5/1/2021 9:10:58 PM   
MechFO

Another few saves.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet 1943 AI - 5/1/2021 9:33:25 PM   
Joel Billings

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it along to Gary. It's amazing given how weak the Soviets are that you lost the initiative. You've clearly beat them up to the point where you will win at the end of 1944. There's no way with the few troops the Soviets have and how strong you are that they will be able to drive you back to Berlin. I think it's time for you to up the AI help level.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet 1943 AI - 5/1/2021 11:30:20 PM   
MechFO

Next game I will.

I've won this handily but I don't really see where I could have done much better. Each year was a maximum (safe) effort.

The initiative switching should maybe wait a bit longer, I lost it early 43 with 711 VP; which I think is a bit early. At least one should have a chance to keep on going into Summer 43 with that many VP.

Biggest limitation for the Germans is IMO at least till 44 not troops but the command limits. The extra hexes compared to WITE mandate thinning the line to be able to mass for an offensive, but the CP cost makes this impossible as there are no new armies until 45. Maybe introduce the command increase of 1943 earlier or give the Germans the replacement 6th Army command that was formed when the original was destroyed. One needs something like that for a serious 43 offensive. The fallback to using the Hungarian and Rumanian Armies stuffed with German Divisions seems very gamey.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet 1943 AI - 5/3/2021 4:28:39 PM   
Joel Billings

With a HWM of 711, you should have lost initiative after being driven down to around 640 VPs. If that didn't happen, then initiative would have changed on July 1 1943. Had you dropped down to 640? If not, that's a bug and I could use a save for that.

I see that this scenario has some of your own edits, including some divisions listed twice. In any case, you were able to keep your losses to about 1/2 of the historical losses. This allowed your strength to go through the roof, which is one reason why you have command point issues. I'm actually surprised that the AI was able to keep you from winning outright given just how strong you are. In any case, if the loss of initiative didn't follow the rules above, it would really help to get a save just before the switch. Thanks.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> [need save] Soviet 1943 AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI