Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Schwerpunkt Games Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 2:36:22 AM   
76mm

Thanks Steve, that's helpful and interesting...looks like I'll continue to wait on this one...

I had to chuckle at one of Ron's comments in that thread, where he says "When I talk with the developer of "Game X", they tell me that their users ask why can't they be like Schwerpunkt games!"--I honestly can't say that I've ever heard someone say that!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 151
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 6:11:42 AM   
sPzAbt653

Those comments remind me of when the chef's at the bad restaurants say that everyone loves their food! I thought it was very telling [and I said so in that thread], when I looked at the reviews that they posted on their own site for their new [in 2014] game and all three reviews said the UI was bad. Hint, hint, nudge, poke, brick upside the head, lol.

Folks have stated that Ron is responsive and does fix stuff, so we'll see how it goes. If you get this game maybe you can work your magic and adapt the game's Scenario Files into a UI as you did with TOAWxml Editor

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 152
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 7:30:40 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Those comments remind me of when the chef's at the bad restaurants say that everyone loves their food!

Where is Gordon Ramsay? We need to clean up things...

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 153
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 7:34:07 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Are there any kind of editors for this game? I've been interested for a while but without an editor probably won't pull the trigger. Also, what is progress like on release of scenarios? Last time I looked Ron was only about 1/3 of the way through his list of scenarios?

According to their site, there will be an editor when the game is finished.
About scenario, the latest count is :

5. Five new scenarios have been built. #89 Karelian Isthmus, #90 German Withdrawal from Finland,
#92 Lwow-Sandomierz-Brest, #93 Breakthrough to Romania and #94 Breakthrough to the Baltic are
included in this version. 85 of 102 scenarios are now complete (83.3%).

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 154
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 8:07:55 AM   
ncc1701e

This is extracted from the latest v1.0.11 patch note:
http://schwerpunkt.games/world-war-ii-europe-v1-0-11-released/

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 155
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 2:29:56 PM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Getting things working is infuriating, I've often pounded my desk. Watch the video that Budd posted above. I had AGW since 2006 and rarely messed with it because of the silly UI. Six clicks to get one unit to execute a move. The new [in 2015] game is improved, it reduced it to five [sarcasm there]. In other ways it is not only not improved, it is made worse [see advancing after combat, which with AGW was easy and fun, but with WWII-E it has been made difficult and annoying].

Overall it is easy to like because on an Operational Level there is nothing out there like it, except maybe TOAW and that is in the ****ter for the foreseeable future. However, I can't even beat Poland after about twenty tries, so most likely I am an imbecile when it comes to WWII-E by Schwerpunkt Games.

Because everyone is so different, I don't know whether to recommend it for you all or not. I bought it, I like it, I play it, and I'm going to bitch about it where and when it deserves it.

For my perspective, I am always on the lookout for a V4V type game [a great game system from the 90's]. AGW by Schwerpunkt had Quantitative Supply, and that alone was worth the price of the game and the agony of the UI. HOWEVER, for WWII-E that aspect has been removed, the developer has stated that was done to make the game simpler. Big mistake in my opinion. Make the UI simpler, leave the game as it is [supply in AGW was not difficult at all].

Some have stated that the Schwerpunkt counters are beautiful. Below is a shot of AGW from 2005 [same counters are used by WWII-E from 2014] with an inset from TOAW's 2017 release.

What do you mean by TOAW is in the shi@#$er?

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 156
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 3:11:57 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: comte

Some people are not happy with the game's developer, production manager and design direction so discredit when the opportunity arises. The dev is off and on for whatever reasons which isn't a good thing. Not been a much needed patch for a year. The game is fine.

I'm not happy with everything either but what war gamer is?

Instead of trashing the game people need to help where they can. Eventually things can turn around and the game will still be there. But if it's constantly trashed for personal reasons it may not be there at all.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 10/28/2019 3:13:55 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 157
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 5:26:42 PM   
GibClaret80

I went ahead and got the game and i'm really enjoying it. Ron is really helpful and is currently working on whole campaign scenario at present. 318 turns

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 158
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 5:42:47 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I'm not happy with IV or the effort to get there nor the progress since, and it is only going to get worse. Most of the community is of the same opinion, including a large percentage of past contributors. Therefore, I'm interested in looking elsewhere. At Schwerpunkt, for example.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 159
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 10/28/2019 8:26:06 PM   
Zovs

I purchased RGW 1941-1944 I think when it first came out it, it was awkward back then but it was an itch I needed to scratch. But I'd always go back to TOAW (I have been playing TOAW since 1998).

Just recently I picked up WWIIe, agian it has that itchy scratch I want to get at, and again the UI in WWIIe is quite annoying at times, but it's also playable if your very very patience and willing to overlook the awkwardness of the UI. There is some gems in there. Some of the game play downsides is it has no political or scripted political events. But operationally speaking its pretty cool, if you can look past the lipstick...

That being said TOAW is still my go to with operations level warfare, I'll take the occasional hike into WitE/WitW but those are quite mental consuming at times.

The other great operational game is DG CWIE2, its UI is not really that bad and its based on SPI's (1976 and DG's 1999 remake of) War in Europe, so it has all the board game features of that in a computerized way (note I am not talking about the old DOS one called CWIE).

So getting back on topic.

Love TOAW (currently IV) UI and operational level warfare.

Like CWIE2 a lot.

Tolerate WWIIe and want to like it more.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 160
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 12:17:34 PM   
ncc1701e

While I am at it, one question. I have registered to "Dogs Of War" forum October 28th and I have received an email, the same day, saying:
"Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved. When this happens, you will receive another email from this address."

Since then, no news at all. How much time is it needed in average?

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 11/3/2019 12:18:05 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 161
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 12:19:41 PM   
zakblood

24 hours at max most of the time, give them a email or shout on steam and ask

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 162
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 4:29:33 PM   
76mm

IIRC someone on this forum runs that site--I think Asid? You might want to send him a PM.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 163
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 4:34:18 PM   
zakblood

correct that's the member name

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 164
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 6:44:50 PM   
ncc1701e

Thanks for your help guys, I have replied the email I have received and my account is now activated. It was not possible to send a PM since my account was not activated.
But, it works now.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 165
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 6:49:23 PM   
Infierno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

I purchased RGW 1941-1944 I think when it first came out it, it was awkward back then but it was an itch I needed to scratch. But I'd always go back to TOAW (I have been playing TOAW since 1998).

Just recently I picked up WWIIe, agian it has that itchy scratch I want to get at, and again the UI in WWIIe is quite annoying at times, but it's also playable if your very very patience and willing to overlook the awkwardness of the UI. There is some gems in there. Some of the game play downsides is it has no political or scripted political events. But operationally speaking its pretty cool, if you can look past the lipstick...

That being said TOAW is still my go to with operations level warfare, I'll take the occasional hike into WitE/WitW but those are quite mental consuming at times.

The other great operational game is DG CWIE2, its UI is not really that bad and its based on SPI's (1976 and DG's 1999 remake of) War in Europe, so it has all the board game features of that in a computerized way (note I am not talking about the old DOS one called CWIE).

So getting back on topic.

Love TOAW (currently IV) UI and operational level warfare.

Like CWIE2 a lot.

Tolerate WWIIe and want to like it more.

What is CWIE2? Are you referring to this game? https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2100

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 166
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 7:13:36 PM   
ncc1701e

Good question, I have also checked and this is only what I have found.

(in reply to Infierno)
Post #: 167
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 11/3/2019 10:20:58 PM   
Zovs

Yes, Computer War in Europe (CWIE2). That is the link.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 168
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/25/2021 8:07:27 PM   
jtcourtne

Just a heads up to everyone who has been following this thread, the long awaited, gargantuan scenario #102, the big enchilada is finally available. The...entire...ETO. Like many of you, this is the reason I bought the game years ago.

Anyway, I've been looking it over the last day while relearning the game, and I have to say that it looks like a grognard's dream. Those of you who have been on the fence may want to revisit this title.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 169
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/25/2021 8:39:05 PM   
Lobster

I was just there a few hours ago. I saw nothing on the Home page or on the forum.

It isn't finished.

WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102 Update
« on: Today at 01:00:31 AM »

"Tonight I finished data entry on all units in #102. There are 3399 units in the scenario. I have a file on Designer Notes to share with the community now that describes the numbers for each country, how the #102 units were selected, how they enter the game, and other information on new rules to be coded.

I still need to develop the expected points and replacement points for #102 scenario. I am working with Asid to make the files available to the community.

I want to thank the community for their patience. Its been a long road, but I see how to get to "scenario complete" now."

Ron
Schwerpunkt

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/25/2021 8:48:44 PM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to jtcourtne)
Post #: 170
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/25/2021 8:50:53 PM   
Rosseau

I have the link from Ron Dockal, and it still shows Patch version 1.0.11 Content

Please keep us informed. Definitely something to celebrate in the near future!

Best wishes to all,

Mike

< Message edited by Rosseau -- 4/25/2021 8:54:49 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 171
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/25/2021 9:15:08 PM   
jtcourtne

Guys,

You can download the file from this thread:
http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,8893.0.html

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 172
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/25/2021 9:19:52 PM   
jtcourtne

Ah, I see what you mean Lobster. I glossed over the part where it says "I still need to develop the expected points and replacement points...".

Still, it's playable; just won't be able to allocate any replacement points yet.

(in reply to jtcourtne)
Post #: 173
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 4/26/2021 7:06:07 AM   
lecrop

Great news

(in reply to jtcourtne)
Post #: 174
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 5/2/2021 12:32:15 AM   
jtcourtne

The scenario is complete now:

"Just a status update. Tonight I finally completed the entire #102 data file and scen102.wwe files. Now I am switching over to code changes. Knowing Asid, expect those to be posted soon for download.
Will need to get my coding skill set back, as its been a while since I have written any software. And I need to study my own documentation and code for how I have it laid WWE out!
Some time this weekend, I'll list the changes that I plan to make. I will be starting with the rules that are necessary for scen102 to work. First up is the new Allocate HQ Move op.

Thank you to the community for your patience,
Ron"

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 175
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 5/2/2021 2:36:11 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jtcourtne

The scenario is complete now:

"Just a status update. I will be starting with the rules that are necessary for scen102 to work. First up is the new Allocate HQ Move op.

Thank you to the community for your patience,
Ron"

Getting close.

(in reply to jtcourtne)
Post #: 176
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 5/2/2021 6:28:27 PM   
Rosseau

Thanks gentlemen for the update! Just in time, as I was trying to wrap my head around WitE2 and Warplan Pacific!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 177
RE: Schwerpunkt Games - 5/2/2021 7:05:00 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: jtcourtne
"I will be starting with the rules that are necessary for scen102 to work. First up is the new Allocate HQ Move op."

Dunno, seems like "the rules that are necessary" for a WWII in Europe scenario to "work" are not exactly trivial. Is this another two years, or what?

(in reply to jtcourtne)
Post #: 178
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Schwerpunkt Games Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI