Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITP:AE - Worth It?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITP:AE - Worth It? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 8:35:09 AM   
elxaime

I played original WITP and had a lot of fun with it. I bought WITP:AE a while back but have yet to give it a try, mainly because of work. But I am thinking of firing it up. But first some questions:

1. Is the current build pretty stable and bug-free? This has been out for a while now, so I assume the answer is yes, but wanted to ask.

2. One of the things about original WITP was that the experienced players always said that the only way to correctly model the war was to use all sorts of mods. So my question is, is the vanilla WITP:AE perfectly fine? Or in order to play, do I also need to load up a bunch of mods?

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 9:00:33 AM   
jdsrae

1. Yes, very stable and bug free for me.
2. I played most scenarios multiple times for years without trying any mods.
I’m playing Standard NATO scenario 1 now for my first PBEM with no bells or whistles and we are both enjoying it. Probably me more than him so far as he’s the Allied CIC, but the tide is about to turn so he’ll get his fun soon enough.
Some of the mods do look interesting but I’ve only got time to play one game at a time, so they’ll have to wait for a few years!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 9:32:36 AM   
adarbrauner

Vanilla is perfectly and is not perfectly fine, but in order to know where it is and where it is not for your inclinations, you MUST dig it through and through, this said you could certainly start with one of the fine mods out there, although I'd not advise that.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 3
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 10:49:54 AM   
RangerJoe

Start with the Coral Sea scenario and then the Guadalcanal scenario. Try both several times from each side.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 4
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 2:21:01 PM   
BBfanboy

The only thing that hints at your preference is your mention of trying to model historic events. But the point of a game is to fight in a way that diverges from historic results. So the forces and initial targets for offense and defense are set by scripts, but after the first month or so of game play there will be differences from historic IJ expansion and in the damage done to each side's forces. Expect that you will have to develop your own strategic goals (six months or more off) and operational goals (the next 2-6 months), while trying to interfere with the enemy from day to day.

Do not expect that your experience with WITP will translate directly to WITP-AE. The new version has a more involved land warfare game and significant changes to air and naval warfare. As RJ has suggested, play all the short scenarios to learn what all the buttons and hypertext switches in the game do so you can use them to give your units the orders you want them to carry out.

And learn to expect that random die rolls will regularly produce results you do not expect. The die rolls are the way the game models the unknown factors that make military battles unpredictable. Some players are put off by this, but a game in which you can predict outcomes accurately would be relatively boring.

Oh, by the way, welcome to our madness!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 5
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/9/2021 10:05:03 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Oh, by the way, welcome to our madness!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/10/2021 2:29:29 AM   
Platoonist

I can't think of any computer games that still held a fascination with me after a decade. It's got to be worth it.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 7
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/10/2021 2:58:37 AM   
RedTeamFred

elxaime,

Welcome to WITP:AE!

I too first looked into WITP so long ago. I remember those days. There were lots of flame wars and opinionated "experts" on what was wrong with the game. For one thing, there's none of that now. At least I don't ever see any. There also aren't any bellyachers (LOL well, maybe one or two) so that's a big relief. It was a real turnoff back in the old WITP days for me.

And that game was much buggier that this. I think it was wise of them back then to issue a broad revamp of so much of it with AE.

Basically, you have to decide if you want more of a game or a historical simulation. Lots of arguments have erupted between these two camps, and it's your decision. Mostly now, people (like me) seem to have decided they want a game over a historical sim. Intelligent people contribute lots of interesting historical facts into the game community in a way that makes all that very interesting, without the heat. This has created an excellent mod community that have the skills and interests to put together mods that they believe presents differences they consider important. The broader community gives them a try, knowing how the mods differ up front. You can find one and play what you like, and even make one of your own. Open it up to the community, it may become a hit. Several have.

People find their enjoyment in recreating/rewriting history, and that's fine. Plenty of people do here. But for me, I googled for quite awhile to find the most complex, challenging and historically-based computer wargame I could find. Basically, I wanted a game I'd never be able to exhaust myself on and get bored with. I'm not into space rangers or fantasy monsters, mind you. Boy is this ever it!

So for me, it's basically Red Team versus Rainbow Team, using almost every ship and plane and commander across half the planet, in day turns, for years. And the algorithms that control the game are more than good enough that it rewards good play, but inaccessible and unpredictable enough so no one games the system.

The map choices are remarkable. I'm not that into primary colors myself, I prefer a more satellite-imagery approach although it would drive other people nuts. It's there, and some of the maps offered are works of art. Concerning the maps, I think the community generally agrees, for instance, that there shouldn't be a river between Diamond Harbor and Calcutta. And I remember measuring the air distance between Port Blair (and southern Sumatra) to the sountern tip of India, and I think the map has them too close together. But it's a very, very minor nit to pick.

Bug-free? 99% yes. There is what is referred to as the "Synch Bug", where two PBEM players have slightly different versions of upgrades and/or mods. It doesn't happen often and is prevented by closely comparing versions prior to play.

Is the vanilla version fine? Yes, for me. Scen I is all I'll concentrate on for the forseeable future. I'll consider it a major accomplishment in my gaming life if I can offer a reasonably good game in just Scen I! People say though, that for better play against the AI, the "Ironman" scenarios offer a more challenging game in solo play.

But let me say in no uncertain terms I think one of the best parts of WITP:AE is the community. There are some very fine people here. The others have been weeded out by a game this complex and challenging that usually takes years to commit to play. And I've been impressed by the numbers of more recent players that have become amazing at the game in what seems (to me) to be a very short period of time. It's important though, to RTFM and the forums/AARs as much on your own as you can (ie steep learning curve ahead!). The Matrix search function leaves something to be desired. Use Google, ref WITP:AE. The upgrades have improved things alot, but some of the changes aren't reflected in the paper/pdf game manual. People will fill you in on those changes as you go along. Some of them are stickies in the forums.

Then there's senior forumite Alfred. He's part archivist, game historian, and game concept and algorithm guru. I humbly suggest you pay especially close attention to his postings on subjects. There isn't anyone that can clear up game questions like he can AFAIK. I have considered for years now starting a fund for him to take the time to compile a new game manual. The game is so vast, it would take a lot of time, and I'd support an honorarium for him to be compensated for his time and effort.

So, that's about it elxaime. This game's been a blast for me. I hope it is for you as well!

Fred

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/10/2021 5:56:45 AM   
elxaime

Many thanks to everyone for all the great replies!

(in reply to RedTeamFred)
Post #: 9
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/10/2021 9:01:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I have considered for years now starting a fund for him to take the time to compile a new game manual.

He actually began doing this, but there were some issues. Not sure what, and I don't wish to speculate. The project is most likely dead, as it hasn't been bought up in a long time. There was a thread on the matter some time back.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 10
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/11/2021 2:24:26 AM   
RedTeamFred

Now that you mention it, rustysi, I seem to recall something about that.

I think it was about copyright. Funny though, there are millions of fan-based websites out there on countless topics that seem to be immune from this. Ah well, I'm not a lawyer.

But I'm also not cheap nor a freeloader. I've enjoyed the game immensely and I'd be happy to contribute to Alfred taking this on. If the idea died not because of copyright issues, but because of lack of support, I'd even ante up to an effort along the lines of "Alfred's Personal Collection of WITP:AE Memorabilia and Errata", etc offsite.

It'd be something incredibly worthwhile to leave for future players, and a great pleaure for me in my dotage. ;)

Fred

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 5:42:58 AM   
elxaime

OK, I went ahead and bought the game - digital download. Can someone advise me what final version I should have and where to get the right patches? thx

< Message edited by elxaime -- 5/16/2021 5:54:23 AM >

(in reply to RedTeamFred)
Post #: 12
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 6:18:27 AM   
Platoonist

Version 1.8.1126b was the final iteration I believe.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 13
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 6:24:02 AM   
Platoonist

Patches for any games you purchase from Matrix should be in the My Page area accessible from the Home Page. I think the final Beta patch is available in the Tech forum.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 14
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 9:15:20 AM   
LeeChard

If you buy the game it will come fully patched up to the last official update I believe.
There is a final beta patch that would could be installed very easily.
I recommend the beta be added.
I consider the game a major improvement over the original WitP.
If you liked WitP at all, go for it!

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 15
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 9:29:49 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elxaime

I played original WITP and had a lot of fun with it. I bought WITP:AE a while back but have yet to give it a try, mainly because of work. But I am thinking of firing it up. But first some questions:

1. Is the current build pretty stable and bug-free? This has been out for a while now, so I assume the answer is yes, but wanted to ask.

2. One of the things about original WITP was that the experienced players always said that the only way to correctly model the war was to use all sorts of mods. So my question is, is the vanilla WITP:AE perfectly fine? Or in order to play, do I also need to load up a bunch of mods?

Thanks in advance!

Worth it! Every single Penny!

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 16
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 4:14:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Version 1.8.1126b was the final iteration I believe.

1126a is the latest official patch. 1126b is the Beta which is available in the Tech section of this forum. There is very little difference between the Beta and the official patch.

The Beta installs in a different file directory than the official patch and gives you a direct shortcut to the game executable - which is needed to set up the switches that make the game run on current hardware and operating systems. But using the SeaBee utility on the Tech section makes installation and setting switches much easier since it gives you plain language choices on what to do and automates finding the right things to put in the right places.

See the Tech section thread on Slow Performance if you want to fully understand the need for setting up things properly and what the switches do for you.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 17
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/16/2021 8:45:30 PM   
elxaime

thx!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: WITP:AE - Worth It? - 5/17/2021 9:48:38 PM   
Moltrey

Seems like you already have the passion for the Pacific War elxaime as a WITP player, so it doesn't apply to you - but I think one needs a real love for the subject matter in order to offset the very high learning curve.
In short, IMO WITP:AE is not for most gamers. Patience and persistence are mandatory. Took me a while to get into it after I bought it years ago.

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITP:AE - Worth It? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI