Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Donbass Conflict heating up????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 2:12:18 PM   
maverick3320

Honestly I just can't imagine a hot war in this part of the world. Any major conflict would result in Russia ultimately losing Kaliningrad permanently, and likely push several nations even further into the US/EU/NATO orbit.

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 61
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 4:23:34 PM   
edsw

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Making slow progress but I have the Russian Crimean bases finished. At this rate the war will be over before I get there!

As to the Baltic I worked weeks on Kaliningrad and have it finished. I just lost it with all of the permutations possible in the Baltic. Anybody want to us it for a scenario PM me and I'll zip it up for you. I was going to expand "Putin's War" to the Baltic but I lost it!!!!!

If it's not difficult I would like to see your scenario in the baltic

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 62
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 8:20:42 PM   
edsw

Zelensky spoke about the Situation in Donbass, We (Ukraine) are not the first to open fire, and offered to meet Putin in Donbass, this is blackmailing Ukraine.

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 63
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 8:21:40 PM   
edsw

This is all bad, I live right next to the Russian border

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 64
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 8:22:43 PM   
edsw

It is difficult to say whether this is related to these events or not, but the Internet is working intermittently.

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 65
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 10:31:30 PM   
DESRON420

That's very bad. I hope you and yours stay safe. The situation has made me furious for years.

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 66
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/20/2021 11:24:06 PM   
BeirutDude

Its unfinished to be sure. Anybody that wants to take what I've done so far and run with it for your own scenario feel free. I haven't adjusted any of the WRA. I might come back to it someday, but I just didn't know where this one would stop!!!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/20/2021 11:25:06 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 67
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/22/2021 4:52:29 PM   
DESRON420

Happily this is likely to remain theoretical as Shoigin has announced that Russian troops will return to their permanent bases starting Friday and ending May 1.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 68
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/22/2021 5:59:26 PM   
Blast33

Hmmm move units for almost 4 weeks from all over big Russia, practice 3 days and go home..?

(in reply to DESRON420)
Post #: 69
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/22/2021 8:16:04 PM   
DESRON420

Making the taxpayers buy a bunch of diesel for no reason is actually a great idea if you also own Rosneft

(in reply to Blast33)
Post #: 70
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/24/2021 6:11:13 PM   
edsw

quote:

Its unfinished to be sure. Anybody that wants to take what I've done so far and run with it for your own scenario feel free. I haven't adjusted any of the WRA. I might come back to it someday, but I just didn't know where this one would stop!!!!!

thank you very much)))

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 71
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/24/2021 6:11:55 PM   
edsw

quote:

ORIGINAL: DESRON420

That's very bad. I hope you and yours stay safe. The situation has made me furious for years.

quote:

Thank you for your support

(in reply to DESRON420)
Post #: 72
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/24/2021 9:26:11 PM   
kevinkins

I wonder if Russia achieved anything. Given their economy is less robust than Italy's, it seems to be a very expensive exercise. I suppose the West's media talking about the maneuvers meant something internally to Putin.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 73
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/24/2021 10:45:58 PM   
BeirutDude

Maskirovka????

In any case have the Russian airfields finished (I think, there are sooooooo many!)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/24/2021 10:47:52 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 74
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/25/2021 2:03:02 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

I wonder if Russia achieved anything.

I think yes. In addition to sending out constant and fairly decent IO messages on capability, they test their mobilization plans, and all the lower level stuff that goes one behind that.

More importantly I think they test reaction in the west with a new US administration. Probably scooped a lot of info in the cyber world.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 75
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/25/2021 2:31:36 PM   
AKar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

I wonder if Russia achieved anything.

I think yes. In addition to sending out constant and fairly decent IO messages on capability, they test their mobilization plans, and all the lower level stuff that goes one behind that.

More importantly I think they test reaction in the west with a new US administration. Probably scooped a lot of info in the cyber world.

Indeed, a good point which I completely agree with. This is about as close as one can get being "real" while still operating in peace time. Probably all this was partly motivated by poking on the opponent and monitoring the responses (or lack thereof!) - both political and military ones. I wonder if the US got a hint of all this being "just an exercise", via their diplomatic channels or otherwise, when deciding to pull back the transitioning of the destroyers to the Black Sea.

< Message edited by AKar -- 4/25/2021 2:32:32 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 76
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/25/2021 9:11:12 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I wonder if the US got a hint of all this being "just an exercise", via their diplomatic channels or otherwise, when deciding to pull back the transitioning of the destroyers to the Black Sea.

Or if Putin just got the gauge of the man and found him wanting. Playing chess, while we play checkers????

(in reply to AKar)
Post #: 77
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/26/2021 11:56:47 AM   
DESRON420

Personally think they were planning to go for Mariupol but Putin got scared of NATO and blinked. Big clumsy L for Russia that will accelerate Ukraine's move towards the West

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 78
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/29/2021 10:21:50 PM   
BeirutDude

Well we all have opinions, but I wonder while we were all watching the build up on the Ukraine border, what did they really move/do?

(in reply to DESRON420)
Post #: 79
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 4/30/2021 12:21:18 AM   
Gunner98

Baltic, Gasprom pipeline.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 80
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/8/2021 4:02:18 PM   
BeirutDude

Still working, have the Black Sea (Plus some Caspian Flotilla) vessels done and 1/2 the Ukraine Navy.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 81
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/8/2021 10:18:46 PM   
BeirutDude

All the forces and Ukrainian Missions are set...

Russian mission will be to destroy as much of the Ukrainian Navy and Airforce as possible within a two day period (opening battles). The Ukraine is outmatched so it will be a turkey shoot, but can you earn enough points to "win" with put loosing too many aircraft to Ukrainian SAMs. This will be a scenario where your mission is to destroy as many units as possible to gain points. So if that's not nuanced enough for your tastes this won't be a scenario for you! Just saying...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 5/8/2021 10:19:26 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 82
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/9/2021 8:12:51 AM   
edsw

this is impressive! Will NATO's intervention in the conflict be taken into account? Although this will probably be a very big scenario

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 83
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/9/2021 1:48:00 PM   
BeirutDude

My PERSONAL estimation of the situation is...

1. NATO (or the EU) WILL NOT openly support the Ukraine militarily. Sorry open warfare with Russia, even if Russia doesn't go nuclear will result in the overrunning of the Baltics, and (at least) eastern Poland. NATO would be faced with the decision to use nukes in the Suwalki Gap and they won't risk that for The Ukraine.

2. The U.S. and (maybe) U.K. & France may support the Ukraine with limited resupply (ATGMs, MPSAMs, etc.) in the long run but not major equipment and nothing that will seriously strain relations with Russia. IMHO (and it is my opinion) the numbers of Neo-Nazis in the Donbass Militia Battalions (Azov Battalion) is a major public relations issue for Ukraine which just doesn't allow the West to do more. Russia is gaining a lot of traction in the propaganda battles and you can't deny they are there. Trying to not make this a political discussion but it is a major problem for the West supporting the Ukraine. The scenario assumes this.

What the scenario is predicated on is the Ukraine on it's own and Russia is taking the first two days to dismantle the Ukrainian Navy, Air Force and (most formable) the IADS before a ground offensive to the Dnieper (like Desert Storm).

Sorry but that is how I see it. You can say it is 1938/39 all over again, but it is 1938/39 with nukes, and that can never be forgotten.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 5/9/2021 1:49:43 PM >

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 84
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/10/2021 7:47:15 PM   
BeirutDude

Scenario Play Test is here...

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5016861

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 85
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/10/2021 8:37:40 PM   
maverick3320

quote:

1. NATO (or the EU) WILL NOT openly support the Ukraine militarily. Sorry open warfare with Russia, even if Russia doesn't go nuclear will result in the overrunning of the Baltics, and (at least) eastern Poland. NATO would be faced with the decision to use nukes in the Suwalki Gap and they won't risk that for The Ukraine.

2. The U.S. and (maybe) U.K. & France may support the Ukraine with limited resupply (ATGMs, MPSAMs, etc.) in the long run but not major equipment and nothing that will seriously strain relations with Russia. IMHO (and it is my opinion) the numbers of Neo-Nazis in the Donbass Militia Battalions (Azov Battalion) is a major public relations issue for Ukraine which just doesn't allow the West to do more. Russia is gaining a lot of traction in the propaganda battles and you can't deny they are there. Trying to not make this a political discussion but it is a major problem for the West supporting the Ukraine. The scenario assumes this.

What the scenario is predicated on is the Ukraine on it's own and Russia is taking the first two days to dismantle the Ukrainian Navy, Air Force and (most formable) the IADS before a ground offensive to the Dnieper (like Desert Storm).

Sorry but that is how I see it. You can say it is 1938/39 all over again, but it is 1938/39 with nukes, and that can never be forgotten.

If the consequences are that straightforward, I can't see Russia doing this either. Overrunning any part of Poland will likely involve the deaths of US troops. At that point, politically speaking, it won't matter if the entire Ukrainian military edifice is composed of neo-nazis - the US will be forced to respond. In nearly any scenario of open warfare Russia loses Kaliningrad. Kaliningrad has a lot of value to Russia as a thorn in NATO's side.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 86
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/11/2021 4:55:08 AM   
DESRON420

quote:

It's just Ukraine. There is no article. Ukraine.

< Message edited by DESRON420 -- 5/11/2021 5:15:46 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 87
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/11/2021 11:18:40 AM   
edsw

quote:

I agree with your opinion. In my opinion, the current situation is due to the fact that Ukraine has announced that it will move to NATO. Putin, once upon a time (2007, if I'm not mistaken) said that Ukraine is a red line.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 88
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/11/2021 1:39:10 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

If the consequences are that straightforward, I can't see Russia doing this either. Overrunning any part of Poland will likely involve the deaths of US troops. At that point, politically speaking, it won't matter if the entire Ukrainian military edifice is composed of neo-nazis - the US will be forced to respond. In nearly any scenario of open warfare Russia loses Kaliningrad. Kaliningrad has a lot of value to Russia as a thorn in NATO's side.

Let's hope nobody does it!!!!!!

(in reply to maverick3320)
Post #: 89
RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? - 5/11/2021 1:44:11 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I agree with your opinion. In my opinion, the current situation is due to the fact that Ukraine has announced that it will move to NATO. Putin, once upon a time (2007, if I'm not mistaken) said that Ukraine is a red line.

That's a part of it.

I honestly can't see NATO allowing the Ukraine, or Georgia in, but then there are a few recent additions that baffle me!!!!! I'm not sure NATO is as relevant these days as we think. The recent paradrop in Estonia was cool to watch on Twitter, but realistically they are just a road bump and NATO has pretty much shot it's bolt after dropping them in a real crisis. NATO has lots of recon and EW assets, but is short on ground forces/CAS.

Then again Russia has it's problems in those areas as well...

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Donbass Conflict heating up???? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI