Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1939 start Axis timelime

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> 1939 start Axis timelime Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1939 start Axis timelime - 4/13/2021 2:15:56 PM   
akinesia

I am wondering what a good timeline would look like vs an allied AI.
Poland normally falls turn 2.
I usually hit the low countries in early spring of 1940.
France falls by may to June of 1940.
I have tried hitting the SU. In July to August of 1940. That seems to work pretty well for me but I do have mild issues when Yugoslavia turns.

What does your time line look like?
Post #: 1
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/14/2021 6:25:17 PM   
Markiss

The historical time line you lay out is pretty standard, but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If France falls in June, there is plenty of time to try something interesting before you launch Barbarossa. You could take the remainder of France, try to take Egypt, or even launch a Sealion.

The one thing you can't do, however, is delay Barbarossa past August. If you do, the Soviets will declare war on you. This will allow them to save all of the border troops that are usually destroyed on the first turn of Barbarossa, a major advantage. Don't let that happen.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 2
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/14/2021 6:31:52 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: akinesia

I am wondering what a good timeline would look like vs an allied AI.
Poland normally falls turn 2.
I usually hit the low countries in early spring of 1940.
France falls by may to June of 1940.
I have tried hitting the SU. In July to August of 1940. That seems to work pretty well for me but I do have mild issues when Yugoslavia turns.

What does your time line look like?

Against the AI there is no reason to delay the Low Countries until 1940. You can conquer Belgium on turn 3.

Ofc you can do this against a human as well, but a human is more likely to exploit the situation!

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 3
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/15/2021 6:00:22 PM   
akinesia

So you go ahead and hit both Belgium and Netherlands in winter?
Does the lack of air support slow it down

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 4
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/16/2021 9:19:28 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: akinesia

So you go ahead and hit both Belgium and Netherlands in winter?
Does the lack of air support slow it down

You can take Belgium in one turn before there is any winter weather. No need to attack the Netherlands at all until France has fallen (at least). You do need most of the air units, but you don't need them for Poland, you can mainly get them moved over on turns 1 and 2.

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 5
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/21/2021 8:07:25 PM   
akinesia

I have conquered France, Belgium and the Netherlands it is February 1940. Should I attack the Soviets now or invade Lithuania and others in the north. I have sent almost all of the Italian army to Egypt and they are having some success.

Any thoughts on where to go now. Playing vs the AI first go at this.

Thanks

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 6
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 4/22/2021 3:08:04 PM   
Will952

You're well ahead of schedule!

Plenty of targets you could choose from, depending on your long term strategy;
Malta, then send a moderate German force to boost the DAK to crush Egypt and ultimately invade Iraq
Greece, consider having Italian troops capture Athens if you want to boost their economy a little
Could even build up for an invasion of the UK! You've got months to prep for a July/August invasion.

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 7
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 5/6/2021 2:03:40 PM   
almeath

I am new to this game and have been attempting to come up with a reliable way to conquer Poland vs the AI in turn 2 (on standard difficulty) but have so far been unsuccessful. I can only manage it around 20 per cent of the time. It seems to be reliant on getting a string of lucky dice rolls. Maybe I am not experienced enough to prevent retreating units by locking them into ZOCs but the AI usually manages to use units from the east and south to form a ring around Warsaw that I have to then eliminate in turn 2.

On the other hand, if you do not intend to go immediately for France and the Low Countries in 1939, isn’t it better to minimize losses, maximize experience gains and go for a “comfortable” conquest by October?

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 8
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 5/6/2021 3:36:33 PM   
Taxman66

The Polish units always start in the same positions. Learn where they are.
You don't have to kill all the Polish units (Particularly those dug in fortresses). Cut them off or just plain bypass them. They're too weak to do any significant damage. However, don't let them cut off your spearheads and deprive your units of supply.
Push your tanks to get within striking distance of Warsaw, you will want their 4 attacks.
When you do attack Warsaw, start with the Medium Bomber (reduce entrenchment & morale/readiness), then any Corps that can reach, then use the tanks as the entrenchment gets low and runs out.

----
Once you've mastered Poland in 2 turns vs. the AI try the following:

1) Hot seat Poland and play it solitaire. As the Poles move the Army next to Warsaw then swap places with the GAR. This will put the Army in there with starting entrenchment. You can also try some other tricks, such as Disbanding the Polish Bomber for some more MPP. Or you can try and use it once (I never seem to get it to do any damage), then disband it. Same with the Polish Fighter. The MPP can be used to beef up some of their ground units. This will make taking Poland in 2 turns harder, but it is still possible most of the time.

2) 'Slow Roll' of Poland using just your Infantry. Yes, it will take longer. In the meantime move the planes and tanks west and rail an HQ or 2 west. Then attack the low countries in winter. Or alternately you can punch through the Maginot (start with Strausburg or Metz) if France doesn't strengthen it.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to almeath)
Post #: 9
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 5/11/2021 6:34:47 PM   
akinesia

I am hitting Poland with my infantry. Moved all of my armor and air to France. Hit Luxembourg and then into France. Flank the line and drive on Paris. It took 4 or 5 turns to take Poland, but I took Paris in very early 1940. Then turned back on Belgium and Netherlands.

I shipped basically all of the Italian army to Africa. They are able to advance into Egypt. Pressuring Cario. They are holding strong waiting for the Germans. Once they arrive I am confident we can take Egypt.

Used all of my aircraft to take Malta with an air drop. Then spent the last of 1940 to take Yugoslavia and Greece. Planning to hit the USSR in March of 1941.

After France fell the Italian navy forced the English navy back to Gibraltar. Keeping it on blockade duty near there to stop any English adventures in the med.

My one question was whether it would have been worth hitting Lithuania and the next nation before the USSR took them over not sure on that one.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 10
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 5/11/2021 7:58:39 PM   
Markiss

Seizing the Baltic states will cause the Soviets mobilization to soar, don't plan on them staying out of the war for long if you do it.

As stated above, you can't risk them entering the war on their own, especially if the Germans are not even on the border in force yet..the German Army you have in Spring 1940 will not be adequate for a proper Barbarossa. And the Soviets will be at full income an entire year early. How much extra money is that? Ouch!

You may be able to pull it off against the AI, I would not try it in a PBEM game.

< Message edited by Markiss -- 5/11/2021 8:01:20 PM >

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to akinesia)
Post #: 11
RE: 1939 start Axis timelime - 5/11/2021 9:17:38 PM   
akinesia

Good to know. So don't go after the Baltic states. I used 1940 to complete the conquest of Yugoslavia and Greece I am glad. To see that I made the correct decision.

I am spending a lot on research and buying new armor and mech units to get ready for Barbarosa.

I am trying to learn how to beat the AI before I attempt a pbem game. I only have time to play very sporadically so I don't know if pbem would be fair to my opponent

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> 1939 start Axis timelime Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI