Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Counterattacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> AI Counterattacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Counterattacks - 5/14/2021 4:55:55 PM   
Bamilus

So, I know (or presume) that Soviet AI is scripted to do mass attacks in Winter 41/42. My question is, for that period, but specifically for other non-winter periods, what determines AI criteria for counter attacks? Specifically, in the turn processing phase for AI you can see things listed like "Soviet Front Attacks", "Soviet Reaction Attacks", etc, but not for every turn.

How much of this is scripted (maybe by date or other factors) and how much is just pure AI logic/calculation based on the factors it analyzes? I only ask because in 42 May onward I sometimes see Soviets counterattacking but on other turns in very similar situations, or situations even more unfavorable for me (maybe I pushed a weak unit too far), the AI won't counter attack. I get an AI will never be a human or make same criteria as a human, but wasn't sure if scripting was in play for some of these decisions.

More just curious rather than making a comment on AI.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Post #: 1
RE: AI Counterattacks - 5/14/2021 5:09:33 PM   
loki100

it has a number of very specific states it shifts between. Some are situational (time/where the front is etc), some are relatively hard wired.

So if you watch the German AI you'll see it doing a set of named operations, that is Gary's way to make sure it pays attention to something important (like invade the Crimea). At a big over-arching level it has periods when it will counter-attack (say T4-15 for the Soviets) if it sees something weak, periods when it looks to attack and worry about it later (dec-feb 42 for the Soviets and then from say March 43) and periods when it goes fairly passive.

So it may well be that May-July 42 is one period when its not going to commit even if you dangle something juicy in front of it. The Soviet AI knows that its going to get hit hard and won't waste assets.

Some German traits I've seen. About April 42 it will decide for Moscow or the South - and broadly will commit to this plan (you don't get told though). If it goes south, about October 42 it will look to pull back to reduce its flanks, later on if the Soviets reach Duagavipils, that will trigger a mass retreat by AGN.

All that overlies its basic coded behaviour.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Counterattacks - 5/14/2021 5:23:13 PM   
Bamilus

Thanks, basically confirms what I've seen. Seems to work out well and I've been impressed with the AI.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> AI Counterattacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI