Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CAP or LRCAP on dock ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CAP or LRCAP on dock ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 1:14:54 AM   
Lawless1

Is a better to use CAP or LRCAP for dock ships? Getting ready to evac Singapore and was wondering if there is an advantage or disadvantage
to protecting the ships while loading. Which would give more aircraft protection

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below
Post #: 1
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 1:24:21 AM   
Platoonist

I'm pretty sure CAP would be much superior. Local boys at the hex in question are going to get there quicker. Long range CAP is always a bit iffy.

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 2
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 1:39:48 AM   
Lawless1

The LRCAP would also be from the same base. LRCAP can set its target ie the dock ship. Whereas CAP wold apply to the entire hex

Death from below

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 11:46:14 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

The LRCAP would also be from the same base. LRCAP can set its target ie the dock ship. Whereas CAP wold apply to the entire hex

Have you ever seen standard CAP not intercept a Nav bombing attack targeting TFs in the port hex being CAPped?

Have you ever seen standard CAP not intercept a Port bombing mission targeting the hex being CAPped?

Your assumption that CAP protecting the entire hex doesn't protect everything in the hex is not valid.

What you would gain by using LRCAP would be protection of the TFs after they have left the port hex out to the distance of the range setting of the CAP squadrons.

Hans

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 4
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 2:39:49 PM   
SuluSea

I'd highly advise against using LRCAP, it builds up tons of fatigue and other negatives. If it's early enough, none is needed at Singapore to evacuate troops if the lower peninsula is still in your hands and NW Borneo is as well.

Opinions may differ but as the Allies I only use LRCAP on incoming troop reinforcements (in contested areas) and to help CVs boost air cover.

I make certain my TF are fully loaded that leave Singers and run at full speed directed towards the the area between Muntok and Palembang. These High speed runs use up fuel as well so feel free to stop and gas up, the fuel used used and evacuated you deny to the opposition. Running at high speed and gasing up gives you a win-win (make certain your TF is set to not unload)

You have plenty of search assets, make certain you know exactly what is in the area, naval wise as well.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 5/19/2021 3:03:16 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 6:17:27 PM   
Lawless1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hans, no is the answer to your two questions. I am aware that CAP protects everything in the hex and apologize that my question may have implied that I did not now that.

My intent behind my question is which would give maximum protection to the dock ships that are loading. The LRCAP will follow the TF out to range 4 or 5.

SuluSea, high speed run on exiting a port under IJN/IJA threat is SOP, for me. Depending on location I may also run along the coast, with TF set to absolute if no IJN TF are nearby.

Death from below

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 6
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/19/2021 6:53:40 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Opinions may differ but as the Allies I only use LRCAP on incoming troop reinforcements (in contested areas) and to help CVs boost air cover.

Some opinions do not differ at all

Incoming troops always (in contested areas).

The (Allied) CV TFs especially earlier in the war before the radar updates / before the F6F.

Additionally if willing to risk it - as a Kamikaze CAP Trap late in the war say round Iwo Jima. If you need to thin the heard and you gamble you can risk some damage.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 7
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/20/2021 1:20:47 PM   
Lowpe

Interesting question. As I read it, the LRCAP is range 0, distance 0 effectively...

I would not dismiss this tactic out of hand. I have used it, especially early war and on returning raider task forces.

I believe you might get more favorable intercept conditions and avoid situations, especially early war, where the bombers fly past the out of position CAP.

Combined with local CAP to help with sweepers, if you have enough squadrons, would probably be best.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/20/2021 1:23:19 PM >

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 8
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/20/2021 1:26:59 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, the LRCAP would tend to be fixed over the convoy and not over the entire hex. This can help the convoy at the expense of the rest of the assets in the hex.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 9
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/21/2021 1:36:58 AM   
Lawless1

Thanks to everyone. I plan to have one group on LRCAP and two on CAP.

Death from below

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: CAP or LRCAP on dock ships - 5/22/2021 3:08:35 AM   
NigelKentarus

I use LRCAP early, especially Singers & Rangoon. Fatigue is up. but it also seems to save some early assets (xAk,, etc).

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> CAP or LRCAP on dock ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI