Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So, when is the new patch coming out?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> So, when is the new patch coming out? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So, when is the new patch coming out? - 3/24/2021 9:36:53 PM   
DD696

I managed to log in, so figured it was time to give Curtis Lemay a very firm, but polite, kick in the posterior.

So, when is the new patch coming out, or has their been no time to be involved with any precious coding time due to your overwhelming verbosity in numerous threads over the past year plus? Lots of very hot air, but it appears so little results. I am still whistling past the graveyard, but, hey, what do you expect? I am a Marine. We expect more than cigar smoke.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
Post #: 1
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/1/2021 11:42:43 AM   
WG

I was told a year ago that the bugged Select New Game menu would be fixed Real Soon Now.

I wonder how many new players have given up on the game in the meantime because they have never found the tutorial document.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 2
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/3/2021 10:56:44 AM   
FaneFlugt

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WG)
Post #: 3
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/4/2021 3:44:08 AM   
lion_of_judah

how about adding the option to have more than just two sides!

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 4
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/8/2021 2:00:06 AM   
Simon Edmonds

I think the executive of Toaw are being treated for depression after seeing WitE2. Lol (Tongue in cheek guys)

Seriously though; we still have Fire in the East. In the next patch double the map size. Double the place names. As so on. Then we can have the whole of Europe at 5km or even 2.5km. That is something the opposition will probably never reach. Pacific Theatre and WW1 too.

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 5
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/8/2021 4:53:26 AM   
sPzAbt653

The loveable symbol for TOAW III was the tumbleweed. Here is the one for TOAW IV:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 6
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/8/2021 2:14:58 PM   
woos1981

Haha, you mean the game is like being abandoned?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/8/2021 9:17:09 PM   
Lobster

No, that's an antique just waiting for someone to haul it home and give it some love.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to woos1981)
Post #: 8
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/9/2021 12:37:53 AM   
sPzAbt653

Yeah, Jack's interpretation is closer. It's more like it ran off the road and got wrecked by unfriendly forces. It's a sticky off-road problem. Matrix is having trouble finding the proper rescue crew.

(in reply to woos1981)
Post #: 9
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/9/2021 1:05:38 AM   
Lobster

One of my favorites:

Attachment (1)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/13/2021 3:18:19 PM   
Hellen_slith

It may be an old hooptie but I like it. Would be nice to see the Commander patch, but <shrug> I am content the way it is. Who wouldn't be after 20 plus years of enjoyment? I'm not interested in having every little detail of minutiae correct and proper historically. I just like to play. YMMV.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 11
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/13/2021 4:41:09 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

I'm not interested in having every little detail of minutiae correct and proper historically.

Don't worry. It will be far from that.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/13/2021 4:42:35 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

It may be an old hooptie but I like it. Would be nice to see the Commander patch, but <shrug> I am content the way it is. Who wouldn't be after 20 plus years of enjoyment? I'm not interested in having every little detail of minutiae correct and proper historically. I just like to play. YMMV.

For my part I'm more concerned with performance; I hop between TOAW III and TOAW IV for a couple of reasons and the slow response times in IV are really noticeable, and if you're doing something like setting arrival conditions for sixteen units in the same formation it becomes quite painful to do it through the interface. The game is also a lot more buggy than it was in the past; I had a crash bug in the editor whenever the game autoselected a particular piece as the next unit to deploy which I had to workaround by putting in a dummy undeployed unit which was then deleted. This cost me an hour's work.

New features are nice- on a stable platform.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/13/2021 6:02:34 PM   
Lobster

The unfortunate fact is, the more you make an old horse pull the slower it gets. If all of the planned bangles are loaded on the cart the horse may well refuse to move at all.

What do you suppose will happen when the game has to determine supply for three different types of supply for a few hundred units across a large map?

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/13/2021 6:04:39 PM >

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 14
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 8:51:31 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The unfortunate fact is, the more you make an old horse pull the slower it gets. If all of the planned bangles are loaded on the cart the horse may well refuse to move at all.

This is sort of nonsense. The software I deploy for a living is almost as old as TOAW and is many, many times more complex than it was back then, and handles far more data. At no time has anyone rebuilt the code base from the ground up, but it still works smoothly.

Deploying new features should not have a material effect on performance. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference if the map reference you're entering has 90,000 different possibilities (a 300x300 map) or 490,000 (700x700). The problem is that since the move to TOAW IV, changes to the code base have been apparently been applied in an ad-hoc manner and without rigour, in order to deploy new features faster on a very limited resource.

This is understandable as Matrix is a business and they want a return on their investment, and people will only buy a new product if it has some significant enhancements over its predecessor. But it leads to a frustrating end user experience.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 15
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 10:49:14 AM   
Lobster

After you just stated how TOAWIII has faster response times than TOAWIV. Maybe faster machines will mitigate that a bit but even that can only do so much.

I really don't know to what extent the thing can be optimized. I really do hope it all works out great and it purrs like a kitten.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 4/14/2021 10:52:23 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 11:19:48 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

After you just stated how TOAWIII has faster response times than TOAWIV. Maybe faster machines will mitigate that a bit but even that can only do so much.

I think if anything this is due not to being the "old horse", but rather a new one, as these changes go hand in hand with the change in interface (first thing I do when I open a save is make the two clicks necessary to revert to the old, non-ugly interface).

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 17
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 12:30:33 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

... The problem is that since the move to TOAW IV, changes to the code base have been apparently been applied in an ad-hoc manner and without rigour, in order to deploy new features faster on a very limited resource.

That would be the case if, by now, performance had been somewhat optimized. Since it was not, I think the issue is of a far more fundamental nature.

In any case, it's all irrelevant. It's not going to change positively in any significant form. (feel free to quote me when I'm proven wrong)

Post #: 18
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 2:37:18 PM   
Lobster

I remember the days of opening FitE with TOAWIII and leaving the computer for 15 minutes or more while it loaded. Now it takes no time at all. Much better machine.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 19
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 3:57:35 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

I remember the days of opening FitE with TOAWIII and leaving the computer for 15 minutes or more while it loaded. Now it takes no time at all. Much better machine.

You changed PCs?

When I first played TOAW, if it was a big scenario, turns could take way more than 15 minutes to load- and sometimes they'd time out altogether. That was on the hardware from over twenty years ago, though.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 20
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 3:59:26 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

It's not going to change positively in any significant form. (feel free to quote me when I'm proven wrong)

Well, there are some features in TOAW IV which make it worth adopting over TOAW III. I use III for a couple of purposes:
1) PBEM with people who don't have a copy of IV
2) Playing scenarios which I think would break badly in IV
3) Historically, to load saves in the editor- though I think you can in fact do this in IV.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 21
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/14/2021 4:25:23 PM   
Lobster

For editing I use 4.1.0.3. It's one only testers have and it's the last one where everything works as it should. Since then they broke the editor and refuse to fix it.

Post #: 22
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/15/2021 3:00:55 AM   
Simon Edmonds

I have been thinking of getting a solid state drive. Does anyone know if it makes the bigger scenarios play faster?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 23
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 4/15/2021 8:10:18 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simon Edmonds

I have been thinking of getting a solid state drive. Does anyone know if it makes the bigger scenarios play faster?

A solid state drive will make reading and writing data to storage faster. If you use it for your OS it will make your PC boot faster and will probably make TOAW load up faster in the first place (again provided it's stored on the SSD). However once the game is running you're dependent on your RAM and your processor.

From my own experience, an extra stick of RAM makes quite a bit of difference to performance of an existing machine, and is simple to install even for the enthusiastic amateur. If you're buying something new, then you're going to need to customise your spec a bit because the base models from most vendors just go up on one scale so you either get something underpowered or wind up paying a lot for a video card you don't need (unless you want to play recently made action games, which I don't).

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 4/15/2021 8:11:40 AM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Simon Edmonds)
Post #: 24
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/6/2021 2:34:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

For you guys that are wondering when TOAW IV's patch is coming out let me just say, appropriate of nothing at all, that the new WITE2 is out. I'm just saying.....

Speaking of pulling the pin out of the grenade....did I ever tell you guys about the time some of the FAC pilots I knew made their own bombs. They somehow appropriated some hand grenades from the Army [ AOL's usually two or more platoons for security ] and some Mason jars from the mess hall and what they would do is pull the pin on the grenade and slip it into the Mason jar so that the spoon won't arm the grenade, put the lid on the jar and store the jar in a cardboard box that was usually sitting where the co-pilot would have sat, strapped in by the seat belt. All he had to do is open his window grab one of the jars and launch it at the appropriate time. The jar would break on impact and shortly thereafter the grenade would detonate. Some of us helped out making those bombs so they would have spares. It's enough to keep you busy for about half of your 12-hour shift.

When the FAC pilots returned from their sortie they would have written on the windows in grease pencil: ground coordinates for enemy sightings and/or friendly forces, call signs of the main people involved, weapons loadouts for arriving ground support aircraft, frequencies for the various participants, any notes from sightings on the ground, etc. That information was considered TOP SECRET as it applied to ongoing operations involving friendly forces so we had to insure that there were no foreigners around faking being busy like sweeping the dirt out of the revetment because you can't be too sure about who is on your side and who isn't.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/6/2021 2:37:36 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

Post #: 25
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/21/2021 6:58:12 PM   
Bamilus

This is kinda random, but, who even owns/manages this game these days? I know Norm stepped away awhile ago. Is the team just a bunch of volunteers or what?

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 26
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/21/2021 7:20:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

From what I understand Ralph Trickey is the chief developer, Bob Cross is the chief's assistant developer and head of the beta team and that there were probably half a dozen beta testers on the team. Having said all that I haven't seen anything posted for about a week now.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 27
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/21/2021 7:23:02 PM   
Lobster

The team is developing the game at the speed of light.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 28
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/21/2021 7:25:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

good one.

secretary of the beta testers:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/21/2021 7:29:35 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 29
RE: So, when is the new patch coming out? - 5/21/2021 7:32:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

beta tester intern:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/21/2021 7:37:35 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> So, when is the new patch coming out? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI