Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval AI Enhancement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Naval AI Enhancement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval AI Enhancement - 5/27/2021 12:01:49 AM   
pzgndr

One of the last AI enhancements I've been working on for v1.23.08 release has been to implement some additional naval transport capability. The code was OK for making amphibious invasions and I enhanced that to make some supporting invasions. But the trick was to set up some additional amphibious invasions or to redeploy forces from overseas back to home nation.

Case in point is Turkey, which usually sets up to attack Egypt. But then what? So here's what's new. I created a new function to check certain overseas minors and assign a best port. Once conquered or made a Free State, the major power will send some home forces to the port if the minor capital is not at risk. Once forces are at the port, the major power will try to send fleets with sufficient capacity to carry the forces. And once fleets and forces are ready, they can then be assigned to a new amphibious invasion or forces returned home. That's the idea.

In the screenshot, AI Turkey moved I Janissary Corps to Alexandria in June following the conquest of Egypt, and then moved I Hvy fleet to Alexandria in July. So far so good. Obviously there are some limitations to all this, particularly if the major power is at war and fleets are otherwise busy blockading enemy fleets or being blockaded by enemy fleets. But if conditions are good, then the computer opponent should be better at striking overseas targets and then returning some forces home for other missions.

Also in the past couple of weeks, I've made some other naval AI adjustments to ensure nations with naval superiority are blockading enemy fleets (sometimes Great Britain was not doing this as expected). Also, the naval AI was not verifying if forces could be loaded on a fleet when making check for possible DOW, causing potential lapse of war when the forces could not be loaded and the minor nation could not be invaded. Things are better now. I hope to get another hotfix out soon prior to wrapping up v1.23.08 for release.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 5/27/2021 12:04:04 AM >

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: Naval AI Enhancement - 8/17/2021 8:00:27 PM   
pzgndr

Alright. I finally have a decent update to make, after wrestling with these new naval redeployment functions and other issues over the past week. In this May 1805 screenshot, AI Turkey has conquered Egypt and has moved both the Hvy I fleet and the Nizami-Cedid corps to Alexandria in preparation for redeployment back to Turkey.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval AI Enhancement - 8/17/2021 8:18:31 PM   
pzgndr

In this next June 1805 screenshot, AI Turkey has verified both forces and sufficient fleet capacity are present at Alexandria, has loaded the Nizami-Cedid corps onto the Hvy I fleet, moved the fleet home to Constantinople (for Turkey with its coastal capital; other nations would move to nearest home port), and unloaded the corps. Mission Accomplished.

The intent here with all this is to redeploy some of a nation's overseas forces back to the home nation under certain conditions. And what might those be? Great Britain would maintain at least 1/3 forces at home, until about 1813. Spain would also maintain at least 1/3 forces at home, unless at war with France. Otherwise, nations would try to maintain at least 2/3 forces at home. Russia, for example, might have forces in Sweden, but as it moves other forces from Russia into central Europe and drops below 2/3 at home then it should start redeploying forces in Sweden back to the nearest home port. That's the idea anyway, and these 1/3 and 2/3 thresholds are simply starting points for future evaluations (too conservative, not conservative enough, etc.). It seems to be working so I'm going to start wrapping this up.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval AI Enhancement - 8/25/2021 1:42:10 PM   
pzgndr

In doing some 'final' playtests, I'm Spain watching the AI in 1805. Turkey again conquered Egypt and was set up to redeploy a corps back. But Turkey had DOWed Cyrenaica and should probably have used that fleet and corps for amphibious invasion to Benghazi. So I made some adjustments and reran the turn. Now the AI will make some supporting amphibious invasions when friendly forces in country are outnumbered by the enemy in country.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval AI Enhancement - 8/25/2021 1:48:34 PM   
pzgndr

And here's the result, a successful invasion. All good.

However, on the next turn with no enemy forces remaining in Cyrenaica, the AI made another invasion with a corps from Constantinople. So now Turkey has most of its army in north Africa. What happens on the next turn? Russia DOWs Turkey.

So now I'm trying to make a few final adjustments to not make unnecessary amphibious invasions, and to expedite redeployments back to home nation when at war. The second is tricky because fleet priorities go to blockading and naval combat. Anyways, that's where I am this week.

Attachment (1)

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Naval AI Enhancement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI