Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

does all artillery move at the same pace?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> does all artillery move at the same pace? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 1:06:23 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

does all "plain" field artillery units (non motorized, non mechanized) move at the same pace?

or does smaller tubes (40mm, 60mm) are faster/ capable to keep pace with infantry?

from some experimentation, I believe they all walk at the same slow pace, but would like to confirm
Post #: 1
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 2:06:24 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

The Militia Artillery model moves at infantry speed. All other Artillery has the same (slow) speed.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 2:54:20 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I guess that means trucks are needed;

unless the front is static or it is a last ditch effort to defend the base

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 3
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 10:13:47 AM   
DanieltheJew

You're almost definitely going to need trucks if you intend to use them in any sort of offensive capacity, but trucks double the amount of manpower needed to run the unit, have a fuel expense, and make the unit weaker in direct combat in certain terrains. Non-motorized arty also can enter mountainous terrain without roads. Not entirely useless, but it really depends on your economic capacity and geography as to whether or not they'd be worth the expense.

< Message edited by DanieltheJew -- 5/30/2021 10:15:29 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 1:14:29 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

In recent patches, trucks only take up 200 manpower per 100 trucks, actually - the rest gets refunded back to the SHQ at the end of the production process.

(in reply to DanieltheJew)
Post #: 5
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 3:50:46 PM   
zgrssd

All non-motorized, non-militia artillery moves at the same slower then infantry pace.
There is no inherent penalty for going bigger callibre.

I made a suggestion to have smaler guns mater:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4952524
But until something happens here, bigger is generally better.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 6
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/30/2021 6:14:39 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

trying to find what would be the ideal battalion attachment for an early game's offensive oriented infantry brigades. Early on there are not a lot of options for offensive

1) buggies are great for open terrain, but not so against well entrenched enemy in defensive positions

2) early game's economy cannot support light tanks unless I downgrade engine to reduce fuel consumption (or I found oil). That leaves me with an early "infantry" tank, with 40 to 60mm howitzer gun, paper thin armor (5 or 25mm) and a light or medium engine

3) artillery + trucks; which will allow for big calibers, consume less fuel (but more ammo), and are very vulnerable

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/31/2021 11:17:08 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

1) buggies are great for open terrain, but not so against well entrenched enemy in defensive positions

Buggies do still get the bonus from being armored.
Bullet based small arms count as 20mm for the Callibre Calculation. Against that even 100mm armor is a solid -80% penalty.

quote:

2) early game's economy cannot support light tanks unless I downgrade engine to reduce fuel consumption (or I found oil). That leaves me with an early "infantry" tank, with 40 to 60mm howitzer gun, paper thin armor (5 or 25mm) and a light or medium engine

We figured out the fuel formula. The engine is the least important part, actually.
95% of the Fuel consumption is from weight and Model Size.
The engine is a miniscule amount being added on top of that.
The only exception are double and tripple engines, which for some reason double and tripple the weight based fuel consumption.

quote:

3) artillery + trucks; which will allow for big calibers, consume less fuel (but more ammo), and are very vulnerable

Artillery should never be alone in a Hex. It needs a meatshield of Infantry to protect them.
With the custome Formations, it should be doable to just add 1-2 Artillery + Trucks to a Motorized Infantry.

Post #: 8
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 5/31/2021 6:13:26 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Did some testing with mechanized... and I am certainly not there in terms of fuel production ; there is no oil in the planet and my biodiesel was not enough

what I am going to try:
- build a couple or a few hundred trucks
- raise motorized artillery or AT or other slow moving troops, using these trucks
- move them to where I need them
- downgrade to foot artillery/ AT
- repeat if needed for other troops

has anybody tried something like this?

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 6/1/2021 11:50:13 AM   
BlueTemplar

You *can*, but isn't it easier to just use strategic movement ? I guess that using a bit of both would be optimal ?
(I would also be careful to what happens to the leftover fuel of the disbanded trucks, might it end up being lost if not in one of your zones ?)

quote:

make the unit weaker in direct combat in certain terrains

How?

quote:

Arty calibre is divided by 3, even in direct offensives.

quote:

Bullet based small arms count as 20mm for the Callibre Calculation. Against that even 100mm armor is a solid -80% penalty.

Buggies top out at 50mm armour (and as hard armour have some soft HP penalty).

----

Were the AT guns hit by the movement nerf too ?
(My grandfather was 17, studying in an artillery school, when in 1941 the Great Patriotic War hit - he was given an *heavy* AT gun that he had a *lot* of trouble to carry...)

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 6/1/2021 11:51:25 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 6/1/2021 2:50:50 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Strategic movement was not an option, because how poor my (relatively early game) logistical capabilities were

motorizing, then downgrading worked; or better to say, I was able to move my experienced infantry brigade from one side of the map, to another, in relatively few turns (at least half the time it would had taken me to ask them to walk), this happened after a major declared war, so time was critical.

I afterwards used those trucks to equip a newly created "siege" brigade,

I don't think I would do it in a regular basis, as strategic transport is more efficient, but in a hurry, it will work

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 11
RE: does all artillery move at the same pace? - 6/1/2021 4:45:47 PM   
BlueTemplar

Nice !

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> does all artillery move at the same pace? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI