Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dune like planet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Dune like planet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dune like planet? - 5/28/2021 2:42:51 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I would like to setup a game in a desert planet: with minimal to no surface water, but fully breathable.
Also with some life

I have tried picking up a "Seth" class, then the "history class" option that adds life forms

the problem is that afterwards I end up in some lush forest, "green" planet

if I take out "history class" life, then I end up with some toxic, non breathable planet

So how can I improve my chances of getting a "Dune" like planet?

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/28/2021 3:05:18 AM   
GazBot

Im guessing you need, young planet, low percentage of oceans less than 5%, low rainfall, basic to no vegetation and keep re-rolling till you get a a breathable atmosphere. I find it hard to get lots of "desert" - largely i find you get more rock....

The new Morgana Class planets are pretty good - then you can get some isolated "green zones" potentially on a dune like world....

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/28/2021 3:16:18 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

but young planet = low resources (metal/ oil), am I right?

(in reply to GazBot)
Post #: 3
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/28/2021 3:17:42 AM   
scottrossi

Really, you've just gotta brute force it and keep rolling until you get it. I've successfully generated Dune like worlds on Seth, Limos, Morgana and Siwa. The key on the non Seth worlds is lower temperatures, because that generally rolls low water worlds and you can get 0% water, although there may be swamps or a few hexes of open water. On Seth, you're most likely not going to get a breathable atmosphere, so you'll just have to pretend/ignore the atmosphere part. I do find those Seth worlds covered in forest with absolutely no water to be odd and I'm not sure if that's a bug or unintended consequence of the alien life history class, but I never play those. I'm hoping that we see more control over worldgen in the future so we can pop into a Dune world when we want.

(in reply to GazBot)
Post #: 4
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/28/2021 3:24:52 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

It will be good to have more choice, it is annoying to keep rolling until you get what you want

and in my experience, alien life "history class" will make every planet some form of forest paradise, which is beyond odd; I would like to see instead some weird life form that somehow managed to adapt to harsh Seth conditions

(in reply to scottrossi)
Post #: 5
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/29/2021 5:23:10 PM   
deoved

On Dune everyone wears an Envirosuites, so you don't need a breathable atmosphere.

Post #: 6
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/29/2021 10:13:19 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Dune suits are designed to preserve the body's moisture; to reduce as much as possible water loss. Dune's air is breathable

In game, I have had some success with brute force re-rolling until I get a Siwa with no water and minimal atmosphere (no life history class)
not exactly dune, but at least a mix of rocky, tundra and sand

(in reply to deoved)
Post #: 7
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/30/2021 12:27:30 AM   
deoved

There is no such thing as "body's moisture", in this game. And non-breathable atmosphere does not matter in this game also, as your units will have envirosuits for free.

Post #: 8
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/30/2021 12:37:12 AM   
Zanotirn

The stillsuits that fremen wear on dune are probably closest to filters, except they catch stuff going out rather than in (never mind that they wouldn't work in practice because with no heat loss to evaporation the man+stillsuit would be heated to ambient temperature, which is lethal). THen again they were largely necessary for extended trips on foot, which in turn were necessary due to combination of guerilla tactics and hostile wildlife.

Something to keep in mind though is that Seth will almost never have life without history, and will generally have unbreathable atmosphere due to absence of oxygen. Which is completely realistic - oxygen reacts with a lot of materials and needs to be replentished for a long time (e.g. by life) for it to end up present in atmosphere in meaningful quantities. The book itself says that Arrakis only has enough oxygen due to worm metabolism producing it. You may have better luck taking unclassified planet with the right temperature and age of about 2 billion - this will more likely give you microbiological life, which will mean oxygen but no vegetation or regular wildlife. Then you just need to roll geology until you get no water (or a couple lava lakes) and then roll life until you get a breathable atmosphere. However since it's currently very difficult to have a breathable atmosphere on a non-siwa world, this may take a while. If you get lucky you might get imperfect atmosphere though.

Post #: 9
RE: Dune like planet? - 5/30/2021 5:42:16 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: deoved

There is no such thing as "body's moisture", in this game. And non-breathable atmosphere does not matter in this game also, as your units will have envirosuits for free.

There was some use of Vehicles and Closed Environments (like the Palaces, Harvesters, Carryalls) - so Environmental Suits might be a good fit overall.

(in reply to deoved)
Post #: 10
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/1/2021 11:18:27 AM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

your units will have envirosuits for free

Technically, not for free. (But you can't have armor without it also being an envirosuit.)

SE simulates coldness exposure, but not hotness exposure, so, besides the oxygen issue, you'll have another problem trying to simulate Dune.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/1/2021 8:26:17 PM   
deoved

quote:

Technically, not for free. (But you can't have armor without it also being an envirosuit.)

SE simulates coldness exposure, but not hotness exposure, so, besides the oxygen issue, you'll have another problem trying to simulate Dune.

How can a human being survive +60C without Envirosuit?

< Message edited by deoved -- 6/1/2021 8:42:33 PM >

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 12
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/1/2021 8:31:15 PM   
BlueTemplar

You'll have to ask Vic.

(in reply to deoved)
Post #: 13
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/1/2021 8:46:10 PM   
deoved

What I mean just generate a planet with some kind of unbreathable atmosphere(+ canonic Dune characteristics), get Envirisuit, and call it Dune)

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 14
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/3/2021 5:51:41 AM   
laagamer

The Spiiiiiiice

He knows!

The Spice Melange!

(in reply to deoved)
Post #: 15
RE: Dune like planet? - 6/6/2021 5:35:53 PM   
minimen456

Don't do that :D Everything moves slowly on sand. Furthermore building roads on sand is superexpansive. Like 3000 metals for 15 hex railroad

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Dune like planet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI