Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpowered to start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Opponents Wanted >> Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpowered to start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpowered t... - 5/30/2021 3:50:50 PM   
stjeand

Hear ye hear ye...

Come one come all...

I keep reading that Japanese are overpowered.

Show me.

Come take India...some take Australia.

Atta boys and bragging rights await you.
Post #: 1
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 5/30/2021 7:26:44 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I'll take you up on it.

But I don't think the Japanese are overpowered. It is just the Allies don't have the means to respond until they receive transports in March and fifth carrier.

India is the one that hurts because they have the third highest Logistics rating of the Allies and the manpower to use it.

Australia is just a side show to keep the US busy. I may or may not invade it. The threat can occupy the Allies more than the deed.
New Zealand is practically not a country. Manpower production of 3.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 2
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 5/30/2021 7:37:46 PM   
eskuche

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

I'll take you up on it.

But I don't think the Japanese are overpowered. It is just the Allies don't have the means to respond until they receive transports in March and fifth carrier.

India is the one that hurts because they have the third highest Logistics rating of the Allies and the manpower to use it.

Australia is just a side show to keep the US busy. I may or may not invade it. The threat can occupy the Allies more than the deed.
New Zealand is practically not a country. Manpower production of 3.

I know a lot of hobbits who would resent that last statement.

I would take up the offer but am waiting on some balance changes. I don’t feel quite comfortable abusing a lot of the mechanics I’ve observed.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 3
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 5/31/2021 3:44:26 PM   
stjeand

PLEASE come abuse them...I want to see what players can do...or think that they can do.

I want you to to fully abuse the mechanics since that is the only way to see if the Japanese are really fooling themselves and overextending.

I think attacking India and Australia is a fools errand and bound to go poorly...

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 4
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 5/31/2021 5:35:15 PM   
incbob

Why the 1941 Japan problem with Australia/India/ overpowered is such a problem.

I still see some people thinking that the 41 scenario is not a problem.

First please understand I criticize out of love. I want this to be the best WW2 game ever. Honestly I probably want this game to succeed as much as Alvaro because I want the good strategy game board feel that this game gives. I want the Warplan 2 and the global game.

I think a lot of people miss the point about Why we say Japan is overpowered and Why that is such a problem.

I do not find many, if any, people that say that Japan cannot easily invade Australia and/or India. I really don’t see anyone making the point that they cannot do it. Does it overextend the Japanese? Is it foolish for the Japanese to do so? In terms of a game, I do not know. It might be overextending. It might be foolish. It might be better to just reinforce and build up all of Japan’s conquest. In fact, for the game, I would not bother invading Australia, but would invade New Caledonia and Fiji and take those VPs since Australia only has Canberra as a VP.

Does that make a good “game.” Sure.

Imagine you did a WW 1 game this way.
Germany easily conquerors France, Austria Hungary easily conquers Serbia and Germany and Austria drive deep into Russia,. The “game” is then about can the Allies fight back and get enough VPs to win the game.
Is that a good game? Could be.
Is that WW1, no.

I bought this game because I thought it was about WW2. It was marketed as WW2. I did not spend $40 USD to buy a game. I can buy many games. I spent $40 USD to buy a WW2 Pacific theatre strategy game. The 41 scenario is so bad…I almost went back and loaded up Strategic Command. Still thinking about it. I am even thinking about loading up Hearts of Iron.

It is not that the Japanese are overpowered.
It is the Japanese have been given ahistorical abilities to invade. It is the Japanese have been given the ability to conqueror things much much quicker than they really could have.
It is that the Allies have been stripped of any means to react. This means they are undefended AND gives Japan no reason to be cautious.
Japan is given no reason to be slow and given no reason to garrison her conquest.

As it stands this game makes the Japanese military of WW2 look incompetent.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 5
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 5:32:42 PM   
sajm0n

@stjeand please report back hows it going if you got anyone ;p

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 6
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 5:37:18 PM   
eskuche

I said I would take him up after new patch if I finish learning war in the pacific by then

(in reply to sajm0n)
Post #: 7
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 5:55:46 PM   
stjeand

kennonlightfoot took me up on this...

So far he is WAY further than I would have even tried.

Japan / China is as expected. Chinese being pushed back a little in spots.
He did not take the UK oil on turn one which I found weird but did take out the DEI as expected.
More ships survived than I let happen. I bomb the daylights out of the Philippines and Singapore normally catching all the US ships / subs and 2 of the UK ships but it may not matter, one Battleship won't change anything.
Turn 2 the Philippines fell and Australia was invaded. Aus can hold out...to many ports and to much distance to take beforen the US troops will arrive and that will slow the Japanese get in the southeast.
He moved a little to close to India with a huge fleet but he will invade India on turn 3...I could handle turn 5 / 6 as incbob stated he would but I don't think I can do much on turn 3. We will see.

An invasion of India on turn 3 is definitely a problem. I don't think that will be able to be recovered from...

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 8
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 5:59:04 PM   
eskuche

Need to merge divisions into corps on the expected attack vector. Since all units recover 20% of max strength you keep the same recovery of 4 for small corps and 6 for large corps per turn.

Alternatively, rail the one sitting at Delhi turn 1. Also probably good idea to spam attack landers with surrounding troops. If KB is in India you should be able to cut off Australian landings, especially after new patch hits re: supply.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 9
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 6:01:49 PM   
sajm0n

Where exactly were you invaded in India? At Bombay?

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 10
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 7:59:26 PM   
stjeand

No...3 divisions landed.
1 on the port size 1 on the west coast that did not have a garrison...and 2 on the port in the southeast that is garrisoned and now blockaded.

That port will not last long.

I would believe an army or two are on the way also and that will be a problem.
Bombay will have a full corps shortly and be able to hold for a bit but not sure how long. Hopefully 3 months...if it can then the US navy will be as big as the Japanese and that could be an issue for them.

But knowing that naval bombardment appears to be broken from what I have read...and it needs to be fixed. It appears to be to powerful.
Add to that the Hermes being useless...10% experience airwing does not work. But I know that will be fixed.

Right now I think all but the Kido Butai is there. Not sure he will need it...but it may be enroute or he might be waiting for the US navy to poke its head out in the eastern Pacific.

< Message edited by stjeand -- 6/1/2021 8:02:56 PM >

(in reply to sajm0n)
Post #: 11
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/1/2021 8:58:17 PM   
sajm0n

I see.
I managed to do my own little invasions in India twice as well, on turns i believe 5th and 6th, so it wasnt even rushed. Only 2 units landed, but circumstances were so devastating both opponents immediately resigned ;)

Looks like India is indeed the biggest problem for the Allies at the moment, we'll see what happens after the patch ^^

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 12
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/2/2021 12:15:57 PM   
YueJin

Hey, just saying your PM inbox is full stjeand. No moving units from a blockaded port would make sense to me as a house rule as that's coming in next patch, but other than that go wild.

(in reply to sajm0n)
Post #: 13
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/2/2021 12:47:03 PM   
stjeand

Fixed my inbox.

Japanese took the port on the east coast and started to move inland.
India has garrisoned the Bombay and the city in the middle of the country that the rail lines go through...sorry don't remember the name.

The US navy arrived in India but could not find the IJV CVLs that ripe for sinking but could not find them.
Suspect the Kido Butai changed course and is headed for India as I type this.

The Japanese have advanced a bit inland...but do not hold the ports very strongly, not that the Allies can do much.

Japan took Darwin but their unit has no supply...not sure how long it will last but at least a few turns.
Their island hopping is slowing.

The Chinese are actually doing okay at the moment...the Japanese are trying to advance in the north but supply is terrible.
The moved their airborne unit into Singapore so I have to keep units behind my lines watching for that unit.

The Japanese are still a turn from the river line at Calcutta.

If that line falls then so will India.
Then again I think there are now 5 or 6 divisions, perhaps an army and an HQ in India.

India will likely fall before the British can move a Division to assist.

(in reply to YueJin)
Post #: 14
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/2/2021 4:19:54 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Bombay can't be taken as long as the Allied player keeps a Corp/Army unit there. The problem is the other ports are even easier to take unless the Allied player is willing to strip Burma of its defenders. Which means the Japanese have a cake walk to Calcutta cutting off China's supply. India may not fall quickly but it will fall (actually it never falls, just keeps moving its capital). But the real objective is to cut supply to China and bog the Allies down retaking India.

The Allied player this early only has four CV's that are no match for Kido Butai. If they stay in the Indian Ocean it will be at the bottom of the sea. The Enterprise and Saratoga are already there. The rest will follow if they don't run fast enough.

Which brings up another problem that probably needs fixing in the game. The off map jump hexes are more like having Warp Drives. It only takes a turn to move from one ocean to another. Which is how I got Kido Butai into the Indian Ocean so quickly. I think these jumps need to be either 2 Turn ones or eliminated entirely.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 15
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/2/2021 4:25:30 PM   
stjeand

Indian troops are being cut off and overrun. It will fall soon.

Australia we will have to see.

the IJN showed up in India much to my dismay and sank 2 US carrier...they did not every try to fight back. Had 5 CVs vs 6 and nearly lost 3...which is a bit off but happens.

Looks like the Japanese pulled out troops from China so the Chinese will hold. But Aus may be cut in different places. Ways I did not think of to be honest.
But this is why we play is to find issue.

I think Alvaro will have to fix India and Australia as players find new ways.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 16
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/4/2021 2:14:07 PM   
stjeand

Bombay has fallen...as did multiple cities in Aus.

The US and UK finally have some transports but to little to late to save either. Aus should last a few months...India may too...but until the US or UK have a fleet which wont be for another year they can not do much.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 17
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/4/2021 2:48:08 PM   
eskuche

Did you not build more transports? I usually spam the transport button for Allies early on. Also, if you get enough LBA across ASAP you may be able to enforce a blockade. Or even by naval invading the taken towns or rail lines.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 18
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/4/2021 3:20:34 PM   
stjeand

Do you mean me? Half the Japanese navy is blockading the entire country. Since they can use the fast transports they are there in a moments notice. Nothing can be blockaded by the Allies.
I tried and 2 CVs sank. If I sent more the Allies navy would be gone.

I did not build more transports early enough...though the UK really can't. The US can but they still take till after you are invaded heavily.

And just checked...can't have transports till June...is it not June just March.

< Message edited by stjeand -- 6/4/2021 3:29:50 PM >

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 19
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/4/2021 7:47:25 PM   
stjeand

India is holding on by a thread...No available ports in India for UK reinfocements, yuet...Calcutta is all that remains.
The line by Calcutta is holding but barely. Two Japanese divisions trapped behind lines, one was just killed, the other receiving supplies offshore.
Indian fighter sank a DD unit in port. That was a nice. surprise
The US fleet made a surprise attack "nearly" sinking a couple BBs including the famous Yamato that will never be the same after the beating it took...BUT none of the CVLs were damaged.

Australia is still standing...US is reinforcing now.

China is China...just a line. I believe 2 or 3 armies have fallen...but many Japanese have paid the price.

That Japanese still have the naval superiority but now US troops can start landing where there are no garrisons.
Time for some hit and runs.

< Message edited by stjeand -- 6/4/2021 7:52:27 PM >

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 20
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/6/2021 5:51:35 PM   
eskuche

Looks like Dan’s HQs in Aurora got naval invaded….RIP.

(in reply to stjeand)
Post #: 21
RE: Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpower... - 6/6/2021 6:33:16 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Update on our game. Took until Mar 29th to take Bombay since Japanese needed to Army size units to do the deed.
Now they can concentrate on taking Calcutta and Delhi.
Sydney also taken about the same time leaving the capital with the important supply port in Japanese hands.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Warplan Pacific >> Opponents Wanted >> Seeking Axis opponent who thinks they are overpowered to start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI