Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  405 406 [407] 408 409   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 12:36:57 PM   
RangerJoe

INP!!!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12181
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 1:32:49 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12182
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 1:34:58 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12183
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 1:56:43 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

H all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Visited the house just before sunset this weekend to see how things will look after dark. One streetlight across from our driveway is well designed to shine down and not add much light pollution. Should make for some great star and meteor shower viewing in the back yard with all of our lights off.

Edit: Just noticed you can see the street light in the photo of the septic tank location.

Visible progress includes the septic tank being installed near the back corner of the house.

Mike, so this is brand new street with all those new build houses?

All utilities present?

Hi Leo, yes it's a brand new street and development. Was farm land a little over a year ago. All the utilities that we will have are already installed along the road, electricity, gas, cable, and phone. There won't be any municipal water supply or sewage, which is very common in less urban areas here. Instead, we have our well and the septic tank system.

RGR!

Do you have to have special filter for the water from the well?

Also, how often you have to empty the septic tank? Would you have to use it sparingly and not, for example, shower that often?

My aunt had this in her summer house on the Adriatic Coast (island of Krk) and she always reminded me to shower in the garden and not in the bathroom in the summer (i.e. water in the garden would go to ground and water in the bathroom would go to septic tank which had definite capacity and had to be emptied and that had to be paid for)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Leo "Apolo11"

Hi Leo,

We're fortunate that the ground/well water in our area is pretty good quality. We won't need a water softener or anything like that to remove excess minerals from the water. We will be sure to get the water tested independently after we move in to make sure there is zero contamination, but the county will also be doing that.

As for the septic system, as RJ mentioned earlier, the tank is just to catch the solids and contains bacteria and enzymes that will break the solids down. Liquids will flow out of the tank and be spread in a dispersal field which is several pipes with little drain holes, all buried a few feet underground in an area where it will drain well into the soil. Part of the reason our lot is so large is that the only area with acceptable soil consistency and depth for the drain field is in the back half of the property.

The tank likely won't need to have the solids pumped out more frequently than every 3-5 years, especially since only two of us will be living in the house. The systems design capacity is for 4 bedrooms and 8 people, so we won't be taxing even a little bit. The bottom line is that as long as we are careful about keeping solids from going down the sink drains (grease, food debris, etc) we shouldn't even have to think about how much we are using the water and drain systems.

< Message edited by USSAmerica -- 6/2/2021 2:00:08 PM >

Mike

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 12184
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 1:58:05 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Good morning - Tithe.

That is a good start to a day, even though I've never been so fortunate on my bike rides.

Mike

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12185
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 2:17:10 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good morning - Tithe.

That is a good start to a day, even though I've never been so fortunate on my bike rides.

Had a similar experience back in my college days . It was interesting....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12186
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 2:19:26 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

H all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Visited the house just before sunset this weekend to see how things will look after dark. One streetlight across from our driveway is well designed to shine down and not add much light pollution. Should make for some great star and meteor shower viewing in the back yard with all of our lights off.

Edit: Just noticed you can see the street light in the photo of the septic tank location.

Visible progress includes the septic tank being installed near the back corner of the house.

All utilities present?

Hi Leo, yes it's a brand new street and development. Was farm land a little over a year ago. All the utilities that we will have are already installed along the road, electricity, gas, cable, and phone. There won't be any municipal water supply or sewage, which is very common in less urban areas here. Instead, we have our well and the septic tank system.

RGR!

Also, how often you have to empty the septic tank? Would you have to use it sparingly and not, for example, shower that often?

My aunt had this in her summer house on the Adriatic Coast (island of Krk) and she always reminded me to shower in the garden and not in the bathroom in the summer (i.e. water in the garden would go to ground and water in the bathroom would go to septic tank which had definite capacity and had to be emptied and that had to be paid for)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Leo "Apolo11"

Hi Leo,

We're fortunate that the ground/well water in our area is pretty good quality. We won't need a water softener or anything like that to remove excess minerals from the water. We will be sure to get the water tested independently after we move in to make sure there is zero contamination, but the county will also be doing that.

As for the septic system, as RJ mentioned earlier, the tank is just to catch the solids and contains bacteria and enzymes that will break the solids down. Liquids will flow out of the tank and be spread in a dispersal field which is several pipes with little drain holes, all buried a few feet underground in an area where it will drain well into the soil. Part of the reason our lot is so large is that the only area with acceptable soil consistency and depth for the drain field is in the back half of the property.

The tank likely won't need to have the solids pumped out more frequently than every 3-5 years, especially since only two of us will be living in the house. The systems design capacity is for 4 bedrooms and 8 people, so we won't be taxing even a little bit. The bottom line is that as long as we are careful about keeping solids from going down the sink drains (grease, food debris, etc) we shouldn't even have to think about how much we are using the water and drain systems.

My stepmother's brother-in-law in a California desert community pumped out the septic system into the yard then planted grass. It stank for awhile but the grass grew very well.

So I guess that you won't have a garbage disposal unit under the sink to grind up food scraps and send them on their way. Just start a compost pile which will help your plants out.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 6/2/2021 3:20:55 PM >

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12187
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 7:17:44 PM   
USSAmerica

Indeed, garbage disposals are out. A compost pile is very likely with the room we are going to have.

I do NOT plan to pump out the septic tank into the yard!

Mike

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12188
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 9:26:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Indeed, garbage disposals are out. A compost pile is very likely with the room we are going to have.

Maybe you could convince the neighbour that it is good for his yard if you pump the sewage there. Think of the saving on pick-up fees for the waste!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12189
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/2/2021 9:30:10 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Maybe you could convince the neighbour that it is good for his yard if you pump the sewage there. Think of the saving on pick-up fees for the waste!

Or pump it across the road onto the pasture . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12190
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 6:22:48 AM   
Orm

Good morning Gentlemen. Ladies.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12191
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 6:33:11 AM   
Orm

quote:

Crete is part of NATO an so is the US. So American military personnel may have been stationed on Crete and may still be stationed there. If they go native and stay there, then they would be Cretans.

Greece is part of NATO, and Crete is part of Greece.

Crete has an important NATO naval base that has a lot of US military personnel. I seem to recall that the Cretans referred to Souda Naval Base as a US base. I suspect that the high number of US sailors was the reason for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crete_Naval_Base

And a picture of a beauty making a stop on Crete.

USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) arrives for a logistics stop on the Greek island of Crete.jpg

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12192
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 7:24:46 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 12193
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 7:28:07 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All utilities present?

RGR!

Hi Leo,

OK... I see...

My aunt had bedrock and the septic tank was solid concrete box with finite capacity and contained both solids and liquids... all had to be pumped out once every month if I recall...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12194
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 9:57:53 AM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

H all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

All utilities present?

RGR!

Leo "Apollo11"

Leo "Apolo11"

Hi Leo,

Make sure that you have the leaching field and all of your underground pipes and equipment marked out when you put in the pool. When I lived in Massachusetts and worked for an architect, one of our clients was putting in a pool after we did an addition to the house and the guys drove heavy equipment over the leaching field and destroyed it. Now maybe they do something different these days but just be careful....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12195
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 9:58:20 AM   
btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 12196
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 5:01:13 PM   
fcooke

Also mark out any wellheads, buried propane tanks, or oil tanks (cannot bury those here anymore but that vary by state). When they came to shoot the gunnite for our pool one of the cement trucks drove over and had parked on one of wellheads. I didn't realize it until I went to the basement and heard strange creaking noises coming from the room where the well water comes into the house and the softener and UV equipment is. That's when I went outside and saw the truck - with the heavy sitting directly on the well. Got the truck moved and thankfully the creaking went away and we had no long term damage. Though they did their best to try and break it later in the day. The cement truck carrying dry cement, so they hooked up to a few outdoor spigots so they mix it in a machine attached to a large pressured hose and they could 'fire' the fresh mix into the form of the pool (pretty cool actually). But the process uses a LOT of water and they ran the well dry. If they had kept trying to pull on a dry well for too long they would likely have burned out the pump motor. Thankfully they stopped. So I thought they were done for the day while the well refilled. Not so! They run a large hose down to our pond, connected to a large pump and used that to finish. I'm thinking to myself - couldn't you have done it that way from the beginning? But did not say anything. A previous pool story was we started to dig it out we found the septic right smack in the middle of the pool, so now need a new septic, since it was not possible to move the pool. So call one of the engineering firms and talk to the owner there, tell him what has happened. He's on about incapable engineering companies and what idiots they are. We set up a meeting and he comes out and asks for the site plan. We unroll it and I hadn't done it before but I checked the plan to see what 'idiot' engineering had messed up. It was his! And then the backtracking began. If it was old he would not have known where it was. So why did you guess? Instead of just saying 'not found'? I should have sued him. True story. The other 'fun' part was his plans did have a provision for placement of a new field, but now needed to see if it was legal. He have a fair bit of property, and our well and house are very close to the road. 100 foot setbacks from roads neighbor's property line, the pond, pool etc. The house and well are grandfathered from the 100' thing. With a little movement of his proposed location, we made it work without going into pumps etc. Sorry for the long post, but I thought a story worth sharing.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 12197
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 5:17:10 PM   
fcooke

Thanks,

I guess my WW2 bias is showing - I think of Souda of being Greek/Brit. And I'm not sure what they mean with that short list of places capable of docking supercarriers. Maybe they mean drydock? Because any dock that handle a supertanker can handle a CVN from a size angle. Looking back at Wiki they call it a deep water quay, so there goes the drydock thought. Maybe I'll procrastinate work and poke around. Or maybe I'll take Wiki for what it is....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 12198
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/3/2021 8:15:45 PM   
Orm

Cut from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crete_Naval_Base#Facilities:

The Naval Base of Souda Bay occupies an area of 500 hectares, including the old artillery barracks of Army's 5th Infantry Division and later land acquisitions. The facilities include a dry dock, workshops, a fuel depot and an ammunition depot.

Although it doesn't mention if you can dry dock a CVN there.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 12199
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 1:04:47 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

Also mark out any wellheads, buried propane tanks, or oil tanks (cannot bury those here anymore but that vary by state). When they came to shoot the gunnite for our pool one of the cement trucks drove over and had parked on one of wellheads. I didn't realize it until I went to the basement and heard strange creaking noises coming from the room where the well water comes into the house and the softener and UV equipment is. That's when I went outside and saw the truck - with the heavy sitting directly on the well. Got the truck moved and thankfully the creaking went away and we had no long term damage. Though they did their best to try and break it later in the day. The cement truck carrying dry cement, so they hooked up to a few outdoor spigots so they mix it in a machine attached to a large pressured hose and they could 'fire' the fresh mix into the form of the pool (pretty cool actually). But the process uses a LOT of water and they ran the well dry. If they had kept trying to pull on a dry well for too long they would likely have burned out the pump motor. Thankfully they stopped. So I thought they were done for the day while the well refilled. Not so! They run a large hose down to our pond, connected to a large pump and used that to finish. I'm thinking to myself - couldn't you have done it that way from the beginning? But did not say anything. A previous pool story was we started to dig it out we found the septic right smack in the middle of the pool, so now need a new septic, since it was not possible to move the pool. So call one of the engineering firms and talk to the owner there, tell him what has happened. He's on about incapable engineering companies and what idiots they are. We set up a meeting and he comes out and asks for the site plan. We unroll it and I hadn't done it before but I checked the plan to see what 'idiot' engineering had messed up. It was his! And then the backtracking began. If it was old he would not have known where it was. So why did you guess? Instead of just saying 'not found'? I should have sued him. True story. The other 'fun' part was his plans did have a provision for placement of a new field, but now needed to see if it was legal. He have a fair bit of property, and our well and house are very close to the road. 100 foot setbacks from roads neighbor's property line, the pond, pool etc. The house and well are grandfathered from the 100' thing. With a little movement of his proposed location, we made it work without going into pumps etc. Sorry for the long post, but I thought a story worth sharing.

This type of situation is one I am determined to avoid. Knowing where everything is located is key, and much easier since it's new construction. The well is "well" marked on the left side of the house, and the septic tank is located safely on the other side of the house. The drain field will be way in the back half of the property where the soil is good. My only concern, and one that I repeatedly mention to the builder and their agent, is the location of the pipe from the septic tank to the drain field. I keep reminding them (insisting) that this pipe needs to run along the side of the property to the field in the back and not right down the middle of the back yard where we want the pool. They are aware that the reason this lot was selected is for the room to put the pool in, but constant reminders are called for to be sure.

Mike

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 12200
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 1:13:22 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

The Naval Base of Souda Bay occupies an area of 500 hectares, including the old artillery barracks of Army's 5th Infantry Division and later land acquisitions. The facilities include a dry dock, workshops, a fuel depot and an ammunition depot.

I can assure you that you cannot drydock a CV or CVN there. I was on CV-66, similar size to the Nimitz Class but oil fired. Over 3 full deployments and several shorter "work ups", we only ever tied up pier side one time, in Abu Dhabi, across from a super tanker. Everywhere else we had to anchor and use ship's boats or ferry boats to get ashore. Even Toulon, which is a large French naval base, couldn't take us pier side, so I know there was not drydock space for us there or anywhere in the Med. Perhaps some of the large shipyards in Norway, Denmark, or Germany have drydock capacity for a 1000+ foot long, 100,000 ton carrier, but those could only ever be an extreme emergency situation. I'm not even sure if Portsmouth in the UK has drydock capacity for us. We had to anchor there as well when we visited.

I did spend about an hour on the airfield at Souda Bay, while returning to my ship after my father's death. I didn't get to see much, but I've technically been to Crete.

Mike

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 12201
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 1:14:34 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Friday morning - Tithe.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12202
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 1:25:07 PM   
RangerJoe

I hope that everyone has a good day!

Attachment (1)

― Julia Child

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12203
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 5:34:04 PM   
fcooke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

This type of situation is one I am determined to avoid. Knowing where everything is located is key, and much easier since it's new construction. The well is "well" marked on the left side of the house, and the septic tank is located safely on the other side of the house. The drain field will be way in the back half of the property where the soil is good. My only concern, and one that I repeatedly mention to the builder and their agent, is the location of the pipe from the septic tank to the drain field. I keep reminding them (insisting) that this pipe needs to run along the side of the property to the field in the back and not right down the middle of the back yard where we want the pool. They are aware that the reason this lot was selected is for the room to put the pool in, but constant reminders are called for to be sure.

You are right to want to avoid this sort of scenario We live in a converted barn, barn built estimated 1840, converted to home in the early 70s, we are told by oldtimers by folks in a commune who liked their weed. Which I believe, the wiring is haphazard and any time we open a wall we fix anything we find. We finally told our EC to just fix things he found and stop asking about each thing he found. One day I happened to be around when the wallpaper guy was stripping it off in prep of putting something better on. Low and behold he uncovers a buried outlet without a plate or uncapped wires. Since the EC was there I asked him to take a look (my own tester had gone MIA. Sure enough it was live, buried in the wall of a 175 year old home of nice dry kindling. Happened to be behind where the TV was so tidied it up into a useful outlet (it was halfway up the wall), nicely hiding the wires. The other funny was six homemade skylights back to back with a nice southern facing with a bunch of built in planters directly below. Hmmm......

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12204
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 6:36:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I can assure you that you cannot drydock a CV or CVN there. I was on CV-66, similar size to the Nimitz Class but oil fired. Over 3 full deployments and several shorter "work ups", we only ever tied up pier side one time, in Abu Dhabi, across from a super tanker. Everywhere else we had to anchor and use ship's boats or ferry boats to get ashore. Even Toulon, which is a large French naval base, couldn't take us pier side, so I know there was not drydock space for us there or anywhere in the Med. Perhaps some of the large shipyards in Norway, Denmark, or Germany have drydock capacity for a 1000+ foot long, 100,000 ton carrier, but those could only ever be an extreme emergency situation. I'm not even sure if Portsmouth in the UK has drydock capacity for us. We had to anchor there as well when we visited.

I did spend about an hour on the airfield at Souda Bay, while returning to my ship after my father's death. I didn't get to see much, but I've technically been to Crete.

Canada has dry dock that can handle a 1000' plus ship ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12205
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 7:51:52 PM   
USSAmerica

Mike

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12206
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/4/2021 11:37:20 PM   
Schani59

Good afternoon all. Blazing hot out. A bloody record smashing 102F. Last week freeze warnings. This week extreme heat warnings. Oufta!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 12207
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/5/2021 2:03:17 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schani59

Good afternoon all. Blazing hot out. A bloody record smashing 102F. Last week freeze warnings. This week extreme heat warnings. Oufta!

This is still spring, you could still get snow. Wait until summer gets here.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Schani59)
Post #: 12208
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/5/2021 5:02:48 AM   
Orm

Good morning. Gentlemen. ladies.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 12209
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 6/5/2021 11:15:48 AM   
btd64

Good morning everyone....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 12210
Page:   <<   < prev  405 406 [407] 408 409   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  405 406 [407] 408 409   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI