Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Modding Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding - 6/7/2021 4:55:04 PM   
zasgard

Is it possible to replace the NATO symbols with a simple tga image file?
I'm not sure if this game has any options beyond the NATO images?
Post #: 1
RE: Modding - 6/7/2021 11:20:14 PM   
cfulbright

I looked through the files in the folders in the DAT folder, and I didn't find any that looked like they're the NATO symbols, so my guess is that these are hard-coded.

Cary

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 2
RE: Modding - 6/7/2021 11:49:11 PM   
zasgard

quote:

ORIGINAL: cfulbright

I looked through the files in the folders in the DAT folder, and I didn't find any that looked like they're the NATO symbols, so my guess is that these are hard-coded.

Cary

Thanks for looking. Does that mean you cannot mod them?

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 3
RE: Modding - 6/8/2021 12:48:57 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

They can be modded. But it's a LOT of work for very poor result. Part of the problem was that this game was not really designed from the ground up with images in place of counters in mind. One of the advantages of Nato symbols is that they pack vital information abstractly in a very small space. That's probably why they were originally chosen for board wargames decades ago when printing wasn't digital and 4-color printing was rather expensive. The unit counters in the game are very small, so your 3-D tank images will end up being very small and difficult to read. Images of infantry soldiers would probably fare even worse.

Another problem is unit stacking. If there is more than one unit in a hex, the tank images will end up stacked on top of each other in a not very convincing visual manner. Plus, if you take the square counters away, a lot of map text information bleeds through making for some rather jarring and confusing map reading.

Plus, because there is only one symbol for armor, you can only ever have one tank model stand in for the unit, whether that unit is composed mostly of Lynx reconnaissance tanks or King Tigers. Of course that goes for other unit types as well.

I gave it a shot....but it just doesn't look good.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 6/8/2021 12:49:12 AM >

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 4
RE: Modding - 6/8/2021 2:40:22 AM   
zasgard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

They can be modded. But it's a LOT of work for very poor result. Part of the problem was that this game was not really designed from the ground up with images in place of counters in mind. One of the advantages of Nato symbols is that they pack vital information abstractly in a very small space. That's probably why they were originally chosen for board wargames decades ago when printing wasn't digital and 4-color printing was rather expensive. The unit counters in the game are very small, so your 3-D tank images will end up being very small and difficult to read. Images of infantry soldiers would probably fare even worse.

Another problem is unit stacking. If there is more than one unit in a hex, the tank images will end up stacked on top of each other in a not very convincing visual manner. Plus, if you take the square counters away, a lot of map text information bleeds through making for some rather jarring and confusing map reading.

Plus, because there is only one symbol for armor, you can only ever have one tank model stand in for the unit, whether that unit is composed mostly of Lynx reconnaissance tanks or King Tigers. Of course that goes for other unit types as well.

I gave it a shot....but it just doesn't look good.

Thank you SO much for this. It's nice to finally know that it just won't work. It kind of changes my mind about getting this game as I'm also an eye candy type of wargamer, but I'm trying to get away from that.

Might just hold off getting any wargame until Steel Tigers comes out (whenever that it).

But, this game is so damn tempting!

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 5
RE: Modding - 6/8/2021 3:35:14 AM   
Shellshock

I understand the appeal of eye candy. I kinda cut my teeth on computer games playing SSI's Panzer General back in the day. A lot more colorful than cardboard counters on a paper map.

While it doesn't have 3-D images, War in the West does have a mouse-over feature that shows the combined silhouettes of all the equipment in the hexagon the mouse is pointed at. This is the hex occupied by the 12 SS Panzer division prior to the Battle of the Bulge. You have to enable this feature in the game by pressing the "tab" key because it's off by default. I believe War in the East had this feature too. I don't know if the new sequel does.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 6
RE: Modding - 6/8/2021 3:39:36 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

I don't know if the new sequel does.

I just checked. It does.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 7
RE: Modding - 6/8/2021 4:09:04 AM   
zasgard

quote:

quote:

I don't know if the new sequel does.

I just checked. It does.

Really appreciate the info. Im going to bite the bullet and grab it during this summers Steam sale.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 8
RE: Modding - 6/9/2021 4:56:22 PM   
rocketman71

It is on sale (70% off) at GOG.com now. The Torch DLC as well. No need to wait any longer

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 9
RE: Modding - 6/10/2021 12:52:32 AM   
zasgard

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketman71

It is on sale (70% off) at GOG.com now. The Torch DLC as well. No need to wait any longer

yep!

$34 for both was a no brainer. Now begins the long, long road to inevitable frustration, but I'm going to take it slow and try and enjoy the process.

I've started to watch the Strategy Gaming Dojo's videos.

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Modding Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI