Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is a SPW 253 Beob?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What is a SPW 253 Beob? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is a SPW 253 Beob? - 7/13/2001 7:13:00 AM   
11Bravo

Playing first battle, no options, in MCNA and found this small halftrack thing with a MG. Couldn't find it in the Encyclopedia. What is it? Whose is it? What does Beob mean? :)

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
Post #: 1
- 7/13/2001 7:15:00 AM   
Drex

Isn't the Beobab a forward observer?

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 2
- 7/13/2001 7:16:00 AM   
Don

Yep, probably a FO.

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 3
- 7/13/2001 7:24:00 AM   
11Bravo

Thanks! I need one! Time to call it back in. Now I feel foolish sending it out to find mines! :o

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 4
- 7/13/2001 8:34:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by 11Bravo: Thanks! I need one! Time to call it back in. Now I feel foolish sending it out to find mines! :o
I did the same thing at first! There sure is a lot to learn about this game. :D

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 5
- 7/13/2001 10:31:00 AM   
sinner

I understand that "Beob" is a short for "Beobwatcher", a German word that should mean "Observer at the Front Line". I recall a german magazine in the 40s named "...whatever... beobwacher". It was a piece of nazi propaganda about the "invincible Whermacht" in their quest for workd domination. Anyway, I happen to take a look to one of those magazines (or maybe it was "Signal" or "Im Bild" or... I don't remember). The text was in German (I don't read nor speak German, although some friends that understand told me that it was rubbish nazi propaganda), but there were some excellent pictures of German armies on war. Some of the pictures were really made up, like a "some Pz III assaulting a city"... and the infantry was nowhere to be seen! Yes, tanks **alone** in city combat make for excellent targtets :D for defending infantry: its plainly suicidal! Please, someone correct my faulty German! Salut

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 6
- 7/13/2001 10:41:00 AM   
Drex

And excuse me: the Beobab is a tree in Africa!

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 7
- 7/13/2001 11:23:00 AM   
SAMWolf

quote:

Originally posted by 11Bravo: Playing first battle, no options, in MCNA and found this small halftrack thing with a MG. Couldn't find it in the Encyclopedia. What is it? Whose is it? What does Beob mean? :)
Beobachtungswagen (Beob.Wg) - Observation Post Vehicle During the late thirties trials were held of the pre-production series of the Sturmgeschütz and it was concluded that these vehicles would have to be supported by an armoured ammunition carrier and observation vehicle.Thery were to be based on the Demag semi-tracked chassis.Shortly after the Sturmgeschütz had gone into production in 1940 an order for 25 le gep Beob Wg was placed and these were built between March and June 1940.As these were the very first production vehicles using the Demag-developed D7p shortened version of the 1 ton tractor some manufacturing difficlties were experienced.Further series were ordered as the number of Sturmgeschütz was increased , but this specialized model was abandoned in favour of the normal Sd Kfz 250. Heavier armour and a fully-enclosed crew compartment were features of these Sd Kfz 253.Observation was from a larg circular hatch in the roof.The radio aerial on the right-hand side folded forward into a protective channel when not in use.The Sd Kfz 253 served with Sturmgeschütz Batterien 640 , 659 , 660 and 665 in France in 1940 and later with other assault artillery batteries in Russia. [ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: SAMWolf ]

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 8
- 7/13/2001 4:18:00 PM   
Gordon_freeman

Dear all, I get pretty mixed up with all ur translations and abriviations you use. A beob is a Beobachter, an observist. Why u use so many of the shortend German words and don't explain them, like le. gep. BeobW., which means in German leichter gepanzerter Beobachtungswagen or in english a light armored observation vehicle. Same for instance with the SdKfz which in German is Sonder Kraftfahrzeug or translated in English Special Motor Vehicle. I remeber that somewhere there was a posting about SP:WW2 using too many of the German original names and getting lost what they actually mean. Not considering a Japanese oob here... If u want something translated, ask me or other Germans around, I guess some of us have a pretty strange opinion about the US fighting ability, but never the less are polite enough to translate what ever u might want.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 9
- 7/13/2001 4:59:00 PM   
Mai Thai

Wow, lot of confusion here, lets place some sunrays: Beob. = Beobachter = Observer Beobab = does not exist, it's Baobab, a kind of large african tree FO = forward observer Beob.Wg = Beobachtungswagen = Observation Post Vehicle Sonderkraftfahrzeug (SdKfz) = Special Purpose Motor Vehicle, this include every vehicle with tracks or wheels, from tanks to halftracked vehicles and armoured cars modified for special purpose, the differeces between them was the number that followed. examples: SdKfz 250 = leichter Schützenpanzerwagen SdKfz 250/5-I = leichter Beobachtungspanzerwagen SdKfz 263 = Panzerfunkwagen (8-Rad) SdKfz 267 = Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger I for refences see: http://www.panzerlexikon.de/sdkfz.htm of course this is in german but if you need help drop me an e-mail Final note: FO vehicles are better used to call in arty (faster and more accurate) bye Sorry i forget this one: SdKfz 253 = leichter gepanzerter Beobachtungskraftwagen = light armoured Observation Post Vehicle [ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Mai Thai ]

-- occupy it, administer it, exploit it

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 10
- 7/13/2001 8:00:00 PM   
Mikser

The references to the "..whatever...Beobwatcher.." magazine probably mean the Völkischer Beobachter, the official nazi party magazine. The Signal was the official Wehrmacht weekly magazine.

[IMG]http://www.boomspeed.com/mikser/madness2.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 11
- 7/14/2001 3:52:00 AM   
Grumble

For the pedantic: "Voelkischer Beobachter" (sorry no umlauts on my keyboard) = "People's Observer". SdKfz 250 = leichter Schützenpanzerwagen "Light Infantry armored vehicle" SdKfz 250/5-I = leichter Beobachtungspanzerwagen "Light Observation armored vehicle" SdKfz 263 = Panzerfunkwagen (8-Rad) "Armored Radio Vehicle" SdKfz 267 = Panzerbefehlswagen Tiger I "Armored Command Vehicle"

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 12
- 7/14/2001 7:08:00 PM   
Belisarius

OK, since this developed into Explaining abbreviations - what does Stuka stand for? I always confuse it with "Stuk" = Sturmkanone. But Stuka? Sturzkampf....?

Got StuG?

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 13
- 7/14/2001 7:11:00 PM   
rcread

In the original StuG Bty 6-gun organization, four SdKfz 253s were included; one for the battery commander, and one for each commander of the two-gun troops. By '41, the official organization had changed to a two-troop system, and put the battery and troop commanders in their own StuGs (although not all Btys were actually re-equipped and many went to Russia with 253s. Since the StuGs were capable of indirect fire, the 253s could act as OP vehicles. After the re-organization, production of 253s ceased. I don't know what happened to those replaced in the StuG Btys, though. They might have been issued as alternatives to SdKfz 250/5, which was a purpose-built observers vehicle. In any case, they should make good OP vehicles, as they were occupied by artillery officers who wood have had FOO training.

Cracker "Artillery is the God of Battle"

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 14
- 7/14/2001 11:08:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Belisarius asked, "what does Stuka stand for?" It's the abbreviation for "Sturzkampfflugzeug", or dive bomber. It was a generic term that became associated with a specific plane.

(in reply to 11Bravo)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What is a SPW 253 Beob? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI