Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/27/2019 7:25:53 PM   
rjord2021

Spending today fixing a few issues I found with the mod such as Dialog found for Chaos even though Chaos is not currently a race in the mod.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 31
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/28/2019 9:07:21 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Spending today fixing a few issues I found with the mod such as Dialog found for Chaos even though Chaos is not currently a race in the mod.

Some questions came into my mind regarding the 40k mod when reading your last comment about dialogue for Chaos race, but for now your biggest concern is to take care of the races(which is A LOT of work), then other things, so I won't ask for now.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 32
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/28/2019 9:24:23 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: EliphasTheInheritor

Some questions came into my mind regarding the 40k mod when reading your last comment about dialogue for Chaos race, but for now your biggest concern is to take care of the races(which is A LOT of work), then other things, so I won't ask for now.

Let me know what those questions are at any time...... it will point me in the direction of issues that I havnt uncovered yet.

(in reply to EliphasTheInheritor)
Post #: 33
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/29/2019 4:58:24 AM   
EliphasTheInheritor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

quote:

Let me know what those questions are at any time...... it will point me in the direction of issues that I havnt uncovered yet.

Okay then. My questions are:

-Will you do a map for the galaxy of 40k?

-If you do a map for the galaxy of 40k, how do you plan to simulate the Eye of terror(since it'a a very important part of 40k)? Maybe a custom art or something in the background of the map and have the same planets that are in and around the Eye of terror?

-How will you simulate daemon incursions/black crusades?

-How will you make daemon worlds(since they are basically lost forever to the powers of Chaos)? Does the game allow you to make more planet types, maybe by modifying the exe of the game(maybe Bacon has something like this)?

-How will you make new planets? Since 40k does have lots of other planets(Forge worlds, agriworlds, etc...) and maybe there is a limit to how many planets you can make in the game.

-How will you deal with races that have a high number of diverse units like Chaos and Eldar? Do you plan to keep it simple and stick with 4 unit types for the race or is there another way to get diversity? For example with Chaos, you got Legions and cults that worship 1 Chaos God and there is also Chaos Undivided, so you got the Chaos faction already split into 5 different factions, because Chaos is really unique about traits.

-Also a small tip here that I have for Necron Tomb Worlds, which I think it would be a brilliant idea, but if you have a better idea then go for it :D.

You know that in Distant Worlds Universe there are some planets with "Chambers of Mortalen" for example, those are ruins I think, and if my memory serves me well, sometimes when you wake a race that is unfriendly, you lose the planet that you colonized and you get a message that tells you that Mortalen have awakened and taken over the planet or something like that.

So I was thinking that Necron Tomb Worlds should have something like "Chambers of Necrons" (of course, you change the name, but it's the same type of ruin, something like "Necron Tombs") and when you colonize the planet, there is a chance(or Idk, maybe it happens 100% of the time) that you awaken those Necrons and they take over the planet. So this is how I see you being able to simulate Necron Tomb World awakening.....+ having the "Independent planets can start empires" option turned on. Hope this gave you something to think about, even tho races come first before planets, maps, etc...

< Message edited by EliphasTheInheritor -- 10/30/2019 5:33:41 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 34
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/29/2019 7:57:03 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

Okay then. My questions are:

-Will you do a map for the galaxy of 40k?

-If you do a map for the galaxy of 40k, how do you plan to simulate the Eye of terror(since it'a a very important part of 40k)? Maybe a custom art or something in the background of the map and have the same planets that are in and around the Eye of terror?

-How will you simulate daemon incursions/black crusades?

-How will you make daemon worlds(since they are basically lost forever to the powers of Chaos)? Does the game allow you to make more planet types, maybe by modifying the exe of the game(maybe Bacon has something like this)?

-How will you make new planets? Since 40k does have lots of other planets(Forge worlds, agriworlds, etc...) and maybe there is a limit to how many planets you can make in the game.

-How will you deal with races that have a high number of diverse units like Chaos and Eldar? Do you plan to keep it simple and stick with 4 unit types for the race or is there another way to get diversity? For example with Chaos, you got Legions and cults that worship 1 Chaos God and there is also Chaos Undivided, so you got the Chaos faction already split into 5 different factions, because Chaos is really unique about traits.

-Also a tip small tip here that I have for Necron Tomb Worlds, which I think it would be a brilliant idea, but if you have a better idea then go for it :D.

You know that in Distant Worlds Universe there are some planets with "Chambers of Mortalen" for example, those are ruins I think, and if my memory serves me well, sometimes when you wake a race that is unfriendly, you lose the planet that you colonized and you get a message that tells you that Mortalen have awakened and taken over the planet or something like that.

So I was thinking that Necron Tomb Worlds should have something like "Chambers of Necrons" (of course, you change the name, but it's the same type of ruin, something like "Necron Tombs") and when you colonize the planet, there is a chance(or Idk, maybe it happens 100% of the time) that you awaken those Necrons and they take over the planet. So this is how I see you being able to simulate Necron Tomb World awakening.....+ having the "Independent planets can start empires" option turned on. Hope this gave you something to think about, even tho races come first before planets, maps, etc...

Thanks for that....exactly what I was looking for.
I will try to answer all of those over the next few days but first off.... the map.

Yes I do intend to have the proper WK40 map in the mod...... and I am looking at 2 very detailed maps which have some planets etc not seen in the other map.

Both maps showing the Eye of Terror below.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/29/2019 8:07:19 AM >

Post #: 35
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/29/2019 8:40:57 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

The Eye of Terror would be added to the background map and then I use the map editor to add the planets in and around it. The hard part would be to get the right scale for the Eye of Terror but I can work that out when I separate the entire WK40 map into 15 x 15 grids.

With the size of the WK40 map I believe i will need the most stars I can get..... which is 1400 stars. However I seem to recall someone worked out how to have more than 1400 stars.

The physical size of the mod map will be 15 x 15 sectors..... I don't believe I can get more than that.

The picture below is a concept idea of what the Eye of Terror could look like before systems are added. It may be bigger but I will not know that until I start building the map which happens at the end of the mod development.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) - 10/29/2019 8:46:06 AM   
rjord2021

Though the map shows worlds it is my understanding that those worlds are in a system of planets.

So for example when adding the system of Baal i get all the details I can get:

The Baal System is a star system of the Imperium, located in the Ultima Segmentum. Following the opening of the Great Rift, the system is one of the many stranded in the region known as Imperium Nihilus.

For what is found in the Baal system I would add the following into the Baal system in the mod map:

Balor — system's star
Baal — Homeworld of the Blood Angels Chapter
Baal Primus — moon of Baal, also known as Baalind
Baal Secundus — moon of Baal, also known as Baalfora
Set — solitary Gas Giant
asteroid field
Amair — cold, distant world with an orbital period of 600 Terran years.

As long as I have the information available I will create an accurate representation of the WK40 map. However there are a number of worlds whedre this data is not available and I will look at those when I get to them.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/29/2019 8:47:43 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 37
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/30/2019 10:18:48 AM   
tofudog

So, if I am not bugging you ,
here are some thoughts about orcs.

The way I see their tactics, they have a heavy focus on boarding combat, with powerful (if shortrange) railguns and tractor beams to support that. Fast manouver engines too. Good armor, but lousy shields.

Now the trick would be to make that their optimum choice by limiting what they can get otherwise and/or giving them special tech to that effect.

The lore mostly has them migrating between stars by hitching rides on space hulks and going whereever the tides of the warp take them (Doesn't really matter to an orc - they'll end up in a fight and that's what's important).
Obviously that won't do for a player race, but are there ways to make that a flavor?

WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 38
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 10/31/2019 10:31:23 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: tofudog

So, if I am not bugging you ,
here are some thoughts about orcs.

The way I see their tactics, they have a heavy focus on boarding combat, with powerful (if shortrange) railguns and tractor beams to support that. Fast manouver engines too. Good armor, but lousy shields.

Now the trick would be to make that their optimum choice by limiting what they can get otherwise and/or giving them special tech to that effect.

The lore mostly has them migrating between stars by hitching rides on space hulks and going whereever the tides of the warp take them (Doesn't really matter to an orc - they'll end up in a fight and that's what's important).
Obviously that won't do for a player race, but are there ways to make that a flavor?

I will look at this tomorrow and see what is possible.

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 39
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 11/2/2019 2:35:17 PM   
tofudog

Some more random and unsorted thoughts.

The universes of Warhammer are all very dystopian. Their overriding theme is civilisation (by our own standards already a travesty of what you could call that) holding on against the coming night and inevitably losing ground.
The dark age of technology, the pinnacle of mankind's development - millenia in the past. Earth's mightiest leader more than half dead and kept alive only by massive human sacrifices - the alternative being Mankind's fall and maybe the Rise of another Chaos god. Other races and their civilisations have gone down that path before. The Eldar in their downfall created Slaanesh and they are but remnants of what they once were. The Necron are to them what the Eldar are to mankind. The T'au are the next pilgrims on that very road, following in mankind's footsteps - their "Greater Good" a brutal dictatorship already, but compared to the Imperium of Man they are naive children. Yet.
The Orcs never even bothered. Waaagh!!!

One core concept of 4x games has always been research and advancement, yet in the universe of warhammer 40k the best that the Sons of Mars can hope for is not loosing the understanding of any of their technologies - for another century.

So just as an idea to toss around:
Every technology in the game is known at the start (Imperial Capital Ships for example tend to have service records measured in centuries, their crews born aboard and handing down their posts to their children's children). As a compromise to 4x you still can research improvements - a percent or two of extra damage or thrust or whatever at a time.
This might be seen as "if you have not researched an improvement that your neighbour did, what actually happened is you lost something".

Food for thought.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 40
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 11/18/2019 7:37:12 PM   
tofudog

Hello Eliphas,
nice to see there are more people who follow this mod.
I have to say though, that I don't think that more unit types for ground fighting are necessary (or even desirable).
We are dealing with a strategic level view, which is quite different from the skirmishing tabletop. When you have a few dozen men and a handful of vehicles it makes a hell of a change if you swap out a Leman Russ for a Hellhound.
When a unit of infantry is (rough estimate) a hundred thousand men (with their organic support, I'd suppose), you just have to assume that a viable mix of assets is present.
Another factor is Command and Control - here on earth the first lesson of warfare is, that men working together as a team can defeat opponents who might be individually and/or in their sum much stronger than they are, but who are fighting as individuals.
This elusive factor would be extremely important to the Imperial Guard, who almost without exception find themselves outmatched man for man.
Chaos on the other hand, while sporting some of the strongest fighters that universe has to offer, would rather tend to just swing until something gives (Khorne Berserkers anyone?).

I'd rather think about what mix of assets each of the units in Distant Worlds represents.

For the imperium (which is the only faction that I can even remotely claim something like solid knowledge), I'd tentatively say:

Armor: Titans of course, but also Baneblades and their brethren (nothing as feeble as a regular tank though). But definitely an Imperator-Titan as an icon.
Special forces: Sororitas, Astartes, Valkyrie-mounted Stormtroopers, arguably regular tanks of the faster types. I don't see Kasrkin in sufficient numbers to be a factor, but maybe I am wrong. Personally I'd like a Valkyrie as an icon here.
PDU's: Atmospheric interceptors, emplaced air defenses - Hydras and the like would be organic support for infantry units (I would say). They'd make a pretty nice icon though, so by the "Rule of Cool" maybe they should be here anyway.
Infantry: Everything else. Guardsmen, Chimeras, Basilisks, Hellhounds and their variants. Have a Squad of Guardsmen for an icon, the poor bastards deserve some recognition.

The other factions might be similarly groupable.

My estimate of a hundred thousand men (or equivalent) is based on the best planets being inhabited by up to 30 billion people (loosely interpreting "people").
I usually invade those with no less than a hundred units, which would be 10 million soldiers (kind of a small garrison if you compare with wartime Vietnam, where allied forces exceeded a million men - and we are talkiong about an itty bitty tiny country here).
So it actually might be closer to a million guys per unit, but the object here is getting a feel for the dimensions we are dealing with.
And even if a unit were to be ten thousand men only - I find it inconceivable to have them out there without a lot of mechanized support.

Regards

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 41
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 11/18/2019 9:23:23 PM   
EliphasTheInheritor

Hello tofudog,
well, I gotta say that a 40k mod is far from an easy task. It's easier making a Stargate mod than a 40k mod which is so vast and rich in lore.

Just a bit of a suggestion here, for special forces you can definitely use Tempestus Scions which are in pretty large numbers and they are pretty good at what they do and they are pretty common. Well, to be honest, I'm really curious about what troops Rjord is gonna choose for the 40k races. I didn't try to get all units in the game, because there are just so many of them, but it would have been nice if this was possible.

Nice to see that 40k is growing in popularity. 40K is very old, even before the year 2000 and I believe that if it would have been on TV as a TV series or a movie, it would have been more popular than Star Wars or Star Trek by now.

Let's see how this mod goes on and remember...milk for the Khorne flakes!

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 42
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 11/19/2019 8:53:32 PM   
tofudog

Hi Eliphas,
there are actually two movies out there (that I know of), both kind of low budget, but "Damnatus" (which is a german fan production - with english subs if desired) captures the spirit of of the setting pretty well I think. Be warned though - it has lengths
The other one was about a squad of Smurfs and did not really resonate with me. I don't even remember what it was called. Maybe "Ultramarines", but not sure of it.
With the way this universe is set up and with a lot of fans mistaking the dystopian setting for something desirable there is no way that we are going to see a major production anytime soon. >Shrugs< I could have done without the new Aladdin, so money would have been there.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Post #: 43
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 4/3/2021 7:46:27 AM   
ArgoStar

Hi, new here and I saw this, I may not have seen it but is there a link to the current WIP version?

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 44
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 4/4/2021 7:00:30 AM   
SteelChewy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArgoStar

Hi, new here and I saw this, I may not have seen it but is there a link to the current WIP version?

Aloha. That means hello, and good bye in Hawaii.
There is a link posted in the first post that leads to the original 30?/40K mod. Among the posts, go to the last page. look for rjord2021's posts, they are the one that has taken over the mod. You will find a link going to "Microsoft OneDrive Link".
I'd post the link myself here, but I'm sorta in the same boat as you, cannot post links until I get so many posts.
I do not believe there is a current link in this thread (yet) since the modder whom took over want's to keep the original modder's work, and the new modder's work separate.
Aloha

(in reply to ArgoStar)
Post #: 45
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 6/15/2021 10:51:22 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

G-R-E-A-T !!!!!
where I can get this "WarHammer 40,000" DW1 mod.. ???
I'm eager to give it a try

(in reply to SteelChewy)
Post #: 46
RE: Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Pro... - 6/27/2021 8:20:33 AM   
rjord2021

I had updated the game that mensrea had started and fixed a number of errors that were in the game.

The link to my fixed version of the mensrea mod is below

Microsoft OneDrive Link
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgNg3YuwkZJPg_dI9Du4ResYRmfKbA?e=gyOvkY

I have been unable to login to the forum for some reason for a number of months...got back on today.

The new mod I am creating Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man is still a Work in Progress.

Where I am located at the moment is now in lockdown for 14 days so this should give me time to work on
Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man

Will keep you updated on progress.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer 40,000 - The Imperium of Man (Work in Progress) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI