Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[MOD] [WIP] Extended Universe Dialog Overhaul

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [MOD] [WIP] Extended Universe Dialog Overhaul Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[MOD] [WIP] Extended Universe Dialog Overhaul - 3/21/2021 1:50:03 PM   
ShotgunHobo

Extended Universe Submod - Dialog Overhaul
Only nine years too late!

As a long time Distant Worlds player, especially modded, the use of default, generic-sounding dialog by all races mildly irritated my immersion. Why was it that the Boskara, a race of bloodthirsty insects, were so cordial and inviting to their 'friends'? Why did every trade offer start with the same text? Why was there so little flavour?

The majority of dialog options within Extended Universe default to the generic race dialog, meaning that it is shared between all species. Every inhabitant sounds the same! While I chalked up this 'oversight' as being simple to remedy initially, it turns out that writing over ~100 lines of dialog for each race is a big undertaking! Although I'm jumping the gun, I'm hoping that posting this will provide motivation to fight my way through the entire forty races that Extended Universe offers, and provide a unique voice for each.

I'll also be updating the Galactiopedia to make the description of each race flow better - but as a purist, I wish to stay as close to the true, original vision in mind for each race. The premise same goes for the dialog.

Completed: Ackdarian, Atuuk, Banoserit, Boskara, Caleph, Enton, Haakonish, Mechanoid, Ortain, Ketarov.
Yet to complete: Gizurean, Ikkuro, Jintus, Keskudon, Kiadian, Lemeresh, Lipid, Mortalen, Napoar, Naxxilian, Partis, Phaerax, Quameno, Riktoh, Securan, Shakturi, Shandar, Sluken, Tairoshan, Tarapin, Teekan, Ugnari, Visareen, Wekkarus, Ylta, Yor, Zenox.
Percentage: ~10/40, 25%
Post #: 1
RE: [MOD] [WIP] Extended Universe Dialog Overhaul - 6/15/2021 2:48:36 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

Sound really interesting, where do you will up-load your DW1 sub-mod when it will be finally ready ?

Will it only work for Extended Universe or also for the "vanilla" base game ?

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 6/15/2021 2:54:10 PM >

(in reply to ShotgunHobo)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> [MOD] [WIP] Extended Universe Dialog Overhaul Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI