Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand: Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/11/2021 2:02:14 PM   
juv95hrn

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: juv95hrn

I have transfered 13 ski battalions from the SR, to the Map, ie. the STAVKA.

When I want to allocate them to the infantry division, I can only pick among 8 of them (the ones with lower experience). They have extremely similar stats, high ToE, full winter 1941 morale of 45 and experience between 37 and 42.

STAVKA is obviously within the same range, to the units I want to deploy to. Yet, all arent availble.

I could understand if the lower experience SUs couldnt go into the field yet, but why arent the high experience SUs available in this case.

Stavka is only 6-8 hexes from the Guards I want to reinforce, outside Moscow.

Strange...

Thanks!

as you've described it, there is no easy answer. Suggest make this a bug report, will need a save and ideally a step by step as to what you do when it works/when it doesn't.

the only thing that comes to mind is if the second batch have just arrived that turn they can't be re-assigned.

small game play note, Soviet units < 45 experience usually just die, in effect its a way to shed manpower (even out of combat they pick up high attrition losses)

Thanks for the feedback.

I am almost certain I transfered them all the previous turn, so they should be available. Maybe the higher xp ones, the ones which cant be assignated, were transfered from SR two turns before.

Is it possible that STAVKA have automatically assigned them to some fort in Moscow or something, so they cant be assigned directly to a ground unit now? I will investigate this...

Thanks for the 45 xp tip. I guess Fall 1941 you might actually have to balance this with stopping the Germans, but of course you should keep recruits in the SR as long as possible.

I must say I really love the new balance feature of WITE2, where you have to decide to train your troops in the SR a week longer, or get them on the map now, building up some Combat prep before being overrun by pushing Germans.

Thanks...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 721
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/11/2021 2:08:09 PM   
juv95hrn

My apologies. I believe the units were still stuck in SR, instead of on MAP in STAVKA. I am uncertain if I forgot to place them on MAP last turn, or if they somehow popped back to SR.

I will certainly try to gain max experience, but its a hard balance to build some Combat prep. and stop the German 120% AI juggernaut, when its knocking at the gates of Kremlin (almost).

Thanks!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 722
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/11/2021 8:54:26 PM   
Rosencrantus

Would high quality leaders stats have more effect on the units under its command when placed in lower orders of battle? For example, Walter Model being placed in a Corps command versus a Army command. I'm asking this because I know that checks have lower chances to happen the higher the command you go, but I am not sure about how the combat ratings of leaders pass through the command chain.

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 723
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/11/2021 9:13:00 PM   
loki100

suggest look at the tables in section 15.5.3 will explain exactly how and also how to set up the trade offs

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 724
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/11/2021 11:07:56 PM   
juv95hrn

What happens to SUs attached to a Fortress Unit, when the Fortress unit is destroyed (ie. forced to retreat)? Will they retreat, or be destroyed along with the Fortress unit (that has no movement points). If they are auto-eliminated its very dangerous to attach any unit to a front line fort, kind of defeating their purpose?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 725
RE: Yellow fill hex - 6/12/2021 3:20:54 AM   
HOTEC

Why does this W Berlin hex fill in yellow when the rail damage info is on?

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 726
RE: Yellow fill hex - 6/12/2021 8:20:22 AM   
nukkxx5058

I had the impression that there were hotkeys to increase/decrease depots priority but can't find it anymore ...

... or was it in WitW ?

< Message edited by nukkxx5058 -- 6/12/2021 8:22:07 AM >

(in reply to HOTEC)
Post #: 727
RE: Yellow fill hex - 6/12/2021 10:50:36 AM   
HOTEC

The attachment is self-explanatory of my question. Only this hex is filled in yellow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 728
RE: Yellow fill hex - 6/12/2021 11:01:40 AM   
loki100

as in the manual?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HOTEC)
Post #: 729
RE: Yellow fill hex - 6/12/2021 12:17:52 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx5058

I had the impression that there were hotkeys to increase/decrease depots priority but can't find it anymore ...

... or was it in WitW ?

not even sure it was in WiTW?

but think there are at least 4 ways to change depot priority in #2:

using the top right of the game screen (my usual)
right click on the map hex
open the location tab
Commander's Report

so generally much easier to do that it was in WiTW where you mostly had to go via the location tab

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 730
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 8:19:49 AM   
Hardradi

The manual at 4.14.1 says "Ground Units can be sent to the reserve if they are on a working rail line and more than 4 hexes from any enemy unit."

I am able to send units to the reserve that are within 4 hexes of enemy units. Am I missing something?

For example:

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 731
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 2:01:06 PM   
juv95hrn

I am pretty sure the 4 hex range requirement has been removed, or it is bugged, because I have the same ability.

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 732
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 4:42:30 PM   
loki100

quote:

I am pretty sure the 4 hex range requirement has been removed, or it is bugged, because I have the same ability.

I think its either a bug or an undocumented feature .

My initial suspicion was we'd forgotten to change it in Ch 4 when a late change was made but the text in 13.1.3 (ie the main manual section) is identical, as:

quote:

Units are only eligible for voluntary transfer to a Theatre Box if they have been in their current location (map or theatre) for at least one turn and, if on the map, are not in a zone of control, and also must be on a rail hex that is connected to the wider rail net. In addition they must be more than 4 hexes from the nearest enemy unit and have sufficient SMP remaining to both entrain and move a single hex by rail

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 733
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 4:44:53 PM   
Rattiratto

Is there a shortcut/hotkey to change unit stance? (ready/refit/reserve)
Going through all the units and change the 2nd line to reserve could be way faster with a hotkey.
I know it can be done in the CR but I cannot see if they are second line from there.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 734
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 5:53:13 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rattiratto

Is there a shortcut/hotkey to change unit stance? (ready/refit/reserve)
Going through all the units and change the 2nd line to reserve could be way faster with a hotkey.
I know it can be done in the CR but I cannot see if they are second line from there.

yes, from section 39 (hot key list):

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rattiratto)
Post #: 735
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/13/2021 10:36:56 PM   
Rattiratto

quote:

yes, from section 39 (hot key list):

Thanks Loki!
You just probably saved me several hours of clicking!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 736
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/14/2021 12:46:24 PM   
juv95hrn

This might be self-explanatory to most.

Regarding the Truck numbers in Theatre (25.5.1) boxes they read that "Trucks(used) x(y). Most TBs have a truck number x of zero. Whereas all of them "use" some y number of trucks, within parenthesis.

What does this mean?

They have used the second paranthesis number to supply the TB units, and have the first x number left available?

Or they would want the second y number, but usually have no trucks (first number 0) available?

Are these numbers the trucks used for the units themselves? Or for freight transport? Or both?

My best guess (if comparing the freight explanation in 36.12.1) is that the first number is the available trucks, and the second in paranthesis is what the TB would want. Is this correct?

Thanks!

(in reply to Rattiratto)
Post #: 737
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/14/2021 8:15:31 PM   
juv95hrn

Is there a way to turn off, so that new reinforcing HQs dont get 3 SUs of each type when they arrive? I have locked in-game HQs and Locked HQs is checked. Yet, new HQs fill up with more than 3 of each category, even if they are auto set to 3 SUs max.

How do you prevent this?

Thanks!

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 738
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/14/2021 10:29:46 PM   
carlkay58

That could be by the reinforcement schedule.

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 739
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 1:07:26 AM   
juv95hrn

Is there a better way to transfer air groups from the Reserve to the TBs? I identify the group, I want to transfer, then have to go out on the map, find the exact group among 100 others, and then send it?

Or is there a better way?

I fail to understand why you cant transfer from the Commanders report? Or at least see what air groups cant be transfered, like with ground units.

I hope there is a better way, please let me know if there is.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I really love the game, and all its amazing improvements since WITE1, but this is the one thing I find to cumbersome, so I hope I am missing something...

< Message edited by juv95hrn -- 6/15/2021 4:32:24 AM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 740
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 5:30:31 AM   
loki100

quote:

Is there a better way to transfer air groups from the Reserve to the TBs? I identify the group, I want to transfer, then have to go out on the map, find the exact group among 100 others, and then send it?

Or is there a better way?

I fail to understand why you cant transfer from the Commanders report? Or at least see what air groups cant be transfered, like with ground units.

I hope there is a better way, please let me know if there is.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I really love the game, and all its amazing improvements since WITE1, but this is the one thing I find to cumbersome, so I hope I am missing something...

you can use the AOG label which is my usual method, click on the option to use multiple airbases and will allocate them out automatically to airbases with capacity in the area occupied by that AOG

anything in the reserve (as long as its been there more than one turn) can be transferred, so its not much of a constraint?

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 741
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 7:49:37 AM   
loki100

quote:

Regarding the Truck numbers in Theatre (25.5.1) boxes they read that "Trucks(used) x(y). Most TBs have a truck number x of zero. Whereas all of them "use" some y number of trucks, within parenthesis.

What does this mean?

They have used the second paranthesis number to supply the TB units, and have the first x number left available?

Or they would want the second y number, but usually have no trucks (first number 0) available?

Are these numbers the trucks used for the units themselves? Or for freight transport? Or both?

My best guess (if comparing the freight explanation in 36.12.1) is that the first number is the available trucks, and the second in paranthesis is what the TB would want. Is this correct?

Thanks!

just done a check as some of the TB values are less than obvious . Afaik units in the theatre lose their organic trucks but then gain a truck allocation for the supply/logistics phase. So the second number is the usage.

when they come to the map, if they come from a geographical theatre (say Western Europe or the Far East), they then claim some of this truck allocation and bring it with them.

The key difference is units exit the reserve theatre with no trucks and claim what they need from the map. So if its a small or an infantry unit this isn't too important but if its truck heavy (pzr division or Soviet tank/mech corps) then make sure its allocated to the map in or next to an NSS. That way it'll get most or all the trucks it needs. If you bring this sort of unit into a supply poor region it'll seriously lack trucks (& thus MP) and you may well have to redeploy back to a NSS to sort it out. Linked, with the Soviets, even doing this try to stagger the move to map of these corps (and the artillery divisions that need a lot of trucks)

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 742
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 2:12:00 PM   
juv95hrn

quote:

quote:

What does this mean?

Thanks!

just done a check as some of the TB values are less than obvious . Afaik units in the theatre lose their organic trucks but then gain a truck allocation for the supply/logistics phase. So the second number is the usage.

when they come to the map, if they come from a geographical theatre (say Western Europe or the Far East), they then claim some of this truck allocation and bring it with them.

The key difference is units exit the reserve theatre with no trucks and claim what they need from the map. So if its a small or an infantry unit this isn't too important but if its truck heavy (pzr division or Soviet tank/mech corps) then make sure its allocated to the map in or next to an NSS. That way it'll get most or all the trucks it needs. If you bring this sort of unit into a supply poor region it'll seriously lack trucks (& thus MP) and you may well have to redeploy back to a NSS to sort it out. Linked, with the Soviets, even doing this try to stagger the move to map of these corps (and the artillery divisions that need a lot of trucks)

Wait. So basically TB units work like static units on the map from 1942?

So the "Trucks (used): 123(456) in a TB, would mean that 456 trucks are temporarily allocated to supplying the units in the TB, but this is recalculated every turn?

But then what does the first position indicate, "123"? In my game its only Far East that have some 800 trucks in this position, all other TB incl reserves have 0.

Wow, so TB placing a truck heavy unit will empty surrounding depots? I had no idea. This probably explains a few wonky stuff I have experienced! Cheers for this tip!

But I checked a few NSS´s in USSR. They have like 50-250 trucks each, so nothing to fill a Tank Corps. I am guessing they are using all their massive freigh next turn, to vacuum up unused trucks in far flung, non active depots then maybe? Thus being able to fill new truck heavy units withouth intefereing with the supply equilibrium at the (starving) front?

For me its the first january 1942 turn, and I have just started making some units Static, and it would be great to get some better insight how to fill up my army with better truck disposition.

I guess I have 61 truck factories that make 10 trucks each per week, and the Allies give me 800 trucks per week for a total production of 1410 trucks? makes sense?

Setting Inf. Divs. to Static feels lika a drop in the bucket, but I suppose it adds up and every bit helps? Would it be correct to assume, this gives nearby depots and HQs some more trucks, which allivates the supply situation, which leaves more freight for other areas, which gives trickle down effects of the entire Truck situation, somewhat more than what the spare trucks recieved indicate?

Confused but curious...

Thanks!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 743
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 2:34:24 PM   
loki100

I think there are some problems in the game you can't solve and the pre-1944 truck situation for the Soviets is one (the other is the VVS dieing in large numbers).

In 1941 they are fine, you don't have a particularly truck demanding army and are falling back on your supply sources. Up to about mid-42 much the same, from late 42 it starts to hurt. 43 can be grim, you need the artillery divisions and tank corps, you need a large army and you are (hopefully) advancing.

1944 mostly solves this by the high LL allocation.

So its a case of managing that shortage. So let areas sit still, build up depots close to the front, accept there are sectors where your mobile assets are a liability, cherish the LL fighters (& then the Yak-9 sequence) as they can sit back to some depth and still provide decent air cover.

I'm not sure about the static option, say on the Volkhov I'd just rely on a network of small depots close to the front. One reason to be suspicious of the static option is you gat a MP of 2, all Soviet units need to rotate off line to refit (at least till mid-43 when your NM and thus experience finally drive down attrition losses), so 2 MP per turn can make that a long march (esp in poor terrain)

of the Theatres the one to watch is the Reserve, this coming out with no trucks can really catch you out. Even Moscow can probably only fill up the equivalent of 2 tank corps in a given turn (so its another bottleneck to your rebuilding)

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 744
RE: Transfers to reserves - 6/15/2021 2:50:15 PM   
juv95hrn

That makes mostly sense.

But if I deploy a, say tank division from Reserve, to near Moscow, where will its trucks come from? Moscow RSS doesnt have enough. It cant produce trucks, so they would be taken from nearby (or distant?) supplies, units and HQs? Or just some of them?

Keeping tank divisions in the Reserve, would strip them of their trucks then, and provide more for on map movement and units?

Ie. truck requirement in the Production Screen is, in fact, only on map unit trucks and need, not TBs and Reserve?

Understanding these issues would assist in balancing the amount of forces to deploy.

In fall of 1941 I really had to throw everything, and the bath water at the German spearheads to not lose more than Leningrad, Rostov and Ryazan. Its just now in january 1942 I get some breathing room to look things over a bit.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Love the game, and look forward to understanding it a bit better...

Thanks.

EDIT:

So about keeping Soviet Tank and Mech divisions in Reserve or Static on map until they convert. You would "save" the same amount of trucks, (all are taken out?), but you would use less on map freight to supply them in the Reserve? They could dig forts for this price, of course. I suppose one really should blow up the old tanks during the winter, before they get to rust away in a tank graveyard in Siberia too. But thats non-supply related as well.

Are there any other supply/truck nuances to choosing between this (apart from obivous combat value and preparation, etc).

< Message edited by juv95hrn -- 6/15/2021 3:03:51 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 745
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/15/2021 2:51:10 PM   
juv95hrn

quote:

What happens to SUs attached to a Fortress Unit, when the Fortress unit is destroyed (ie. forced to retreat)? Will they retreat, or be destroyed along with the Fortress unit (that has no movement points). If they are auto-eliminated its very dangerous to attach any unit to a front line fort, kind of defeating their purpose?

Bump.

Im sure veterans know this...

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 746
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/15/2021 2:55:05 PM   
juv95hrn

quote:

its a frustrating bug, on the list to sort out (hopefully the next patch)

I can't find the thread back as that had a work around. This may be save/reload but I'm not sure

found it:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

This is a known bug that happened in one of the most recent versions. In my experience it is not consistent. One user reported "Workaround is to click on Assign Support Units, exit and click again. No cost then." I'm not sure that works, but you could try it until we are able to fix the bug.

I found another work around.

Instead of "pulling" the construction unit from STAVKA, where you cant tell if they are in a "c"; city, you push them from the STAVKA subordinates to a Front or nearby army, where you can tell if they are stuck in a city.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 747
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/15/2021 3:22:39 PM   
juv95hrn

I am making this a separate one, although it ties in with my previous pondering.

In a Tank Army sitting idle oustide Stalingrad since winter hit, the allotted Trucks varies between 25-120%. They all been on map for weeks, even though some longer than others.

Shouldnt the amounts have balanced out? Why are some divisions hogging more trucks than they need, even when not moving and at full supply? Could I adjust this with refit, HQ supply level, distance to depot (they are all close). Or is this all under-the-hood?

The rail link Stalingrad-to-Rostov/Krasnodar is really limiting I realize, as it should be. How do I handle this supply and transport wise? In and out of Reserve, instead of rail movement? Detour around Astrakhan/Grozny? Depots on the way suck in freight, ie. supplies for troops in the area, but do they also "cost" trucks and transport resources, so should have few large ones. Or better many small ones, which is what I am going with now.

Thanks

< Message edited by juv95hrn -- 6/15/2021 3:28:34 PM >

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 748
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/15/2021 4:02:15 PM   
loki100

some ideas.

1) Yep that is a horrible sector but Stalingrad is a huge railyard so you can generate a lot of rail capacity despite the single track rails

2) Saratov is very close and its an NSS (hint)

3) In 2 turns on an NSS you can expand a airbase from 1-3

4) you can put a lot of transport planes onto a level 3 airfield (this might give you the means to generate a lot of air supply over a relatively short distance)

lots of depots sounds sensible but remember the key relationship is unit - depot with stocks (so if the nearest depot is empty its no great help). Basically the higher the supply priority for a HQ the more likely it will need to go a greater distance to satisfy its needs (this is the enduring trade off between losing so many trucks that you gain the supply but end up with lower MP/CV on balance).

unit trucks can be varying according to how far they are going to get freight and this can vary according to other variables (depot receipts, other unit demands). Part of the routine is that if it can unit trucks get returned to their original unit but this is sometimes not what happens (they are a lot of variables in the system).

units won't tend to hold trucks over their allocation unless there is a global excess, but it can end up with more for a turn or so as they arrive and maybe aren't sent out the next turn.

Even static unit demands vary. They may miss a supply check so need more the next turn, pick up extra attrition, finally get some replacements or change their TOE.

Operationally if you see that Tank Army as a strategic reserve, I'd send it up to Saratov, it might as well interact with the NSS as Stalingrad. In general on that sector a network of small depots between Saratov and Stalingrad can be invaluable for quick refits.

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 749
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 6/15/2021 10:05:04 PM   
juv95hrn

Thanks for the input. I am slowly learning, that HQ supply demand 3-4 is not always the best solution, even if ground units attached might temporarily suffering from low supplies.

Also overusing refit on the frontline is not to recommend, as you helpfully pointed out.

I disbanded a few low morale/experience Tank Divisions, and railing Tank units with full supply and combat preparation away, but on map, instead of the Reserve, sounds like a very sound suggestion, creating a fast response force for spring (rather than a "strategic reserve" in the reserve TB.

I guess I will have to learn the hard way how to deal with the communication between Stalingrad, and the defense of the Caucasus Front, when the Germans come pouring back next summer. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand: Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI