Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tournament

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Tournament Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tournament - 6/17/2021 12:45:17 AM   
generalfdog

Has there ever been and will there ever be a war plan tournament? Just curious they looks interesting.
Post #: 1
RE: Tournament - 6/17/2021 6:58:38 PM   
ncc1701e

Is it really needed?

Winner: Harrybanana

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to generalfdog)
Post #: 2
RE: Tournament - 6/18/2021 2:56:44 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Is it really needed?

I am flattered that you think so, but I am not at all convinced this is true. If Magic Missile returns he is at least as good, and probably better, than me. I have yet to play Sveint who is also very good. I also suspect that there are great many excellent players who just are not that active in the Forum, but might play in a Tournament.

The problem with a conventional tournament is that the only game worth playing (for me anyway) is the 39 scenario and it takes several months to complete a game. So if you had 16 people in the Tournament playing in single knockout style it would take 4 rounds for a winner to be determined. This would take well over a year and maybe two. An alternative would be to divide the 16 players into four "conferences" of 4 players. The players in each conference would simultaneously play mirror games against the other players in their conference. So this would mean 6 games for each player going at one time. After all the games are played the 4 winners of each Conference would then play mirror games against the other winners in the same fashion. Although a lot more games are being played I think it would be quicker over all.

However it is organized I would be interested in a Tournament.

< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 6/18/2021 2:58:05 AM >

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3
RE: Tournament - 6/18/2021 8:50:56 AM   
CHINCHIN

A tournament is always an extra incentive to play, I would sign up.

I agree that the 1939 scenario is the best, you can plan everything from the beginning. But for a first tournament I think the most appropriate would be a short scenario.

My native language is Spanish, and no English language mastery, sorry.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 4
RE: Tournament - 6/18/2021 12:02:01 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Is it really needed?

OH NO! @#~*
I'm playing him at the moment and so far it's like this:

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 5
RE: Tournament - 6/18/2021 1:44:02 PM   
Nirosi

Could be the 1940 scenario from start to fall of France. Both players play both sides in two successive games. At the end of each game one calculate the losses differential and the player with best total differential for both games wins. A bonus in points could be given to the player that forced Vichy faster. Something along those lines?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 6
RE: Tournament - 6/19/2021 12:05:17 PM   
sillyflower

Has the advantage of being short, but the bonus for capturing P'town earlier would have to be huge, otherwise the winning G strategy would just be going after french units all around the map while trying to avoid F surrendering.
If playing french, I would just run away and hope my opponent just got a quick surrender.

Perhaps a better approach would be the winner is the 1st to get F to surrender. If the date is a tie, then the player with fewer G casualties, or fewer total casualties from both games, wins.

Full disclosure: this is written from a neutral perspective because the competition does not appeal to me

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 7
RE: Tournament - 6/19/2021 2:29:10 PM   
Nirosi

This could also work very well indeed. It also removes the need to find a balance in term of bonus for the 1st to make France fall to.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 8
RE: Tournament - 6/19/2021 2:36:45 PM   
Nirosi

Or maybe a mix of both : the 1st to make France been Vichy. But for each 5 loses differential (or whatever number), the date goes up or down (depending if you have less or more) by a day for the calculation? Always calculated on the turn of German application of Vichy. Tiebreaks could be in favor of the player that has taken more Morale points?

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 9
RE: Tournament - 6/19/2021 5:16:31 PM   
sillyflower

The more complicated the system, the more it will be gamed. Keep it as simple as possible!

web exchange

(in reply to Nirosi)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Tournament Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI