Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Depots distribution (again)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Depots distribution (again) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 5:16:25 AM   
rob89

The same Logistic questions, be patient

Is there a magic formula in the choose of the depots' distribution?

Is it better a wider number of depots, with increasing priority levels from the rear to the front (with full repaired rail lines), or too many along the chain are only a waste of resources (trucks etc.)?

thanks

regards
Post #: 1
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 8:32:18 AM   
Stephan61

What I generally do is as follows, playing as Axis.

Those Depots that you want to distribute freight tot he front line are set at 4.
Then those Hubs (City Railyards of 2+) are set to 2 as I like a build up of freight in-between the main Hub Berlin.
Depots that are only servicing Airfields etc are set to 1.
All ports on the northern shores are set to 0 and export.
Ports near the Front are set to 3 Import.

I use the Factory toggle Switch to highlight where the Railyards are, then tactically create Depots and Priority Repair the Railyards & Manpower.

Then I use the FBD's to repair the Railyards as a Priority to those front line depots.

For the Labour Squads I clean out a couple of Corps HQ units and attached the Labour squads to these, then move them to areas where they can concentrate on fixing bulk secondary lines ( They only repair within 5 hex from a Corps HQ).

Only once in an H2H game thus far has this not worked, but that was due to a massive mistake by me, which stopped freight getting to Smolensk for 3 turns before it was spotted and that ground the whole Centre Front.

I make it a goal to spend at least 15-30 mins now each turn going through the distribution network ensuring it is set up correctly to my liking.

(in reply to rob89)
Post #: 2
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 10:13:05 AM   
Commanderski

The more depots the better. The Germans usually had one every 50 - 60 kilometers which is about 5 - 6 hexes apart. Freight from depots flow from the lower number to the higher number so have your 4's near the front and the lower ones in the rear. Having them relatively close together also reduces your truck losses as they don't have to go too far between depots.

(in reply to Stephan61)
Post #: 3
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 12:13:23 PM   
carlkay58

It comes down to this: the logistics can be done many different ways most of which work. Logistics in this game is an art - not a science. What works best for one person and their playing style may not work so well for another. Experience is the only way to learn what works for you best. There are many threads in the War Room section and other threads in the main discussion area that cover ideas and experiences. You can also check out the AARs - I have two up there that concentrate on how I do logistics.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 4
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 2:55:12 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

The more depots the better. The Germans usually had one every 50 - 60 kilometers which is about 5 - 6 hexes apart. Having them relatively close together also reduces your truck losses as they don't have to go too far between depots.

This is incorrect. The more depots you have that have a priority higher than 0, the higher the chance that your forward depots will not be getting all the freight they can get as the system will try to send some freight to the other smaller depots too.

Freight moves from depot to depot by rail so no trucks are used. Having depot close to each other doesnt affect truck losses. What you need to aim for is to have depots close to your units (within 3 hexes) since in that case no trucks will be used, but horses.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 5
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 3:04:44 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

The more depots the better. The Germans usually had one every 50 - 60 kilometers which is about 5 - 6 hexes apart. Having them relatively close together also reduces your truck losses as they don't have to go too far between depots.

This is incorrect. The more depots you have that have a priority higher than 0, the higher the chance that your forward depots will not be getting all the freight they can get as the system will try to send some freight to the other smaller depots too.

Freight moves from depot to depot by rail so no trucks are used. Having depot close to each other doesnt affect truck losses. What you need to aim for is to have depots close to your units (within 3 hexes) since in that case no trucks will be used, but horses.

well not quite.

a) depots balance local demand as well as their notional supply value. So IF they don't need it locally AND it can move closer to a high priority depot they will take relatively little if any (try an experiment, set every depot in the Reich to #2, they won't fill up

Carlkay has done an excellent job showcasing the payback for a network of small depots as an alternative logistics model.

b) horses only replace trucks IF there is enough freight at that depot, so its not the existence of the depot, its the depot plus enough freight for local demand. In effect a unit that needs to claim from a more distant depot reverts to trucks

Oh and freight also moves by water ..

< Message edited by loki100 -- 6/23/2021 3:06:05 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 6
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 5:11:31 PM   
Germanshep

For us dumb older folks that love to play WithE2 I will never understand all this. I am going to let the AI set up my Depots and hope they do a decent job. Can anyone speculate if this will be ok please?

Thanks for any help. I just bought the game but am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I am hoping the AI can keep supplies moving well enough for me.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 5:18:47 PM   
carlkay58

The AI Depot management works well enough to get you by. It is probably better than the historical logisticians for both the Axis and Soviets. It is not always the best but it is far from the worst. It does the job well enough for you to get comfortable with the rest of the game systems before taking it over.

(in reply to Germanshep)
Post #: 8
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 8:23:39 PM   
DeletedUser44

This is one change from WiTE that I do like is the logistical management in WiTE2. I find it very challenging and enjoyable. Is almost a game within a game.

One complaint I have is in regards to the air transport system, which requires you to have stockpiles of freight at key airbases.

Well, the interaction between an abstracted depot-freight management system does not interface well with the highly micromanaged air transport system. In this regards it is frustrating, especially how easy it is to get stockpiles of freight in the north, but next to impossible to get those accumulated excess freight stores properly re-distributed to the south.

I would like more control over that aspect of the logistic system.

Also find it very difficult to over-supply under-utilized air-bases in preparation for subsequent rebase operation on following turn. Seems there is always a lag in getting advancing aircraft properly supplied and noway to pre-plan for it.

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 6/23/2021 8:51:29 PM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 9
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/23/2021 11:19:02 PM   
carlkay58

Base your transports on cities with a high priority depot (say a 3 so it will continue to push freight to the front lines), a good sized railyard, a higher level HQ, and a size 2 or better airfield. This means the transports will always have the freight to fly forward.

(in reply to DeletedUser44)
Post #: 10
RE: Depots distribution (again) - 6/24/2021 2:34:47 PM   
DeletedUser44

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Base your transports on cities with a high priority depot (say a 3 so it will continue to push freight to the front lines), a good sized railyard, a higher level HQ, and a size 2 or better airfield. This means the transports will always have the freight to fly forward.

I have tried to do that, but what I am finding is that my northern Baltic State cities are consuming and stockpiling all of my excess freight and I am having difficulty accumulating any excess in the Ukraine.

Every turn I am lowering Baltic State depots more and more, hoping some excess freight would be redirected to the South. Got the current critical Ukraine depots all at priority 4 and even have Army HQs stacked on 4 or 5 of them.

But it seems that Baltic State cities were serviced first and by the time Ukraine cities were looked at by logistic AI, nothing was left. ???

So basically, I have a feast in the North, but famine in the South... and very little I can do to change things or ability to prioritize moving some of this excess freight down to where I really need and want it. Maybe this is not a quick (2 turn) fix?

< Message edited by Sauron_II -- 6/24/2021 3:00:15 PM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Depots distribution (again) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI