Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leningrad (again....)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Leningrad (again....) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leningrad (again....) - 6/23/2021 8:29:56 AM   
robjoh

Playing normal settings as Germany and can't seem to capture Leningrad. I get sooo close (literally at the gates of Leningrad) but fail to take it. What do I do wrong?

- what specific squares do I need to take in order to isolate Leningrad?
- how do I use the airforce in the best way (bomb units in Leningrad)?
- overall strategy (I normally take two panzer divisions from AGC to AGN but it doesn't seem to be enough)?
- is it possible to take Kronstadt?

Thanks in advance.

(By the way - never had a problem capturing Leningrad in WiTE - so obvoiusly I'm missing something)
Post #: 1
RE: Leningrad (again....) - 6/23/2021 9:31:23 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: robjoh

Playing normal settings as Germany and can't seem to capture Leningrad. I get sooo close (literally at the gates of Leningrad) but fail to take it. What do I do wrong?

- what specific squares do I need to take in order to isolate Leningrad?
- how do I use the airforce in the best way (bomb units in Leningrad)?
- overall strategy (I normally take two panzer divisions from AGC to AGN but it doesn't seem to be enough)?
- is it possible to take Kronstadt?

Thanks in advance.

(By the way - never had a problem capturing Leningrad in WiTE - so obvoiusly I'm missing something)

well I'll start with the standard response, what works in WiTE1 may well not work in WiTE2 and Leningrad is part of that.

At the core, the map - both human and physicial geography - is far more accurate.

With the AI at 100 you can catch it out (at 110 this is very hard due to the line forming routines). You basically need to be over the Luga before the Soviets can build up. So what do you do at Pskov? Are your Pzrs with MP in the mid-20s?

Get Pskov hooked into your rail net and set up as a core depot. You have to isolate Leningrad overland, better if you can take the Ladoga ports, if you can't cut the rail line west of Tikhvin.

There is one hex on the Neva you can attack from 4 sides, use that. The AI won't prepare, a human player will.

More generally:

a) I don't think AGN can do it alone, but see the Xhoel-Tyronec RTL AAR;
b) there is nothing wrong with taking Novgorod, cut the dual rail and pull out to reinforce the attack on Moscow
c) You can do it as a 2 year campaign, you won't lose much ground here in the winter as the terrain and Soviet supply problems will help you out

Kronstadt no, unless its been abandoned (its an impassable hexside)

Its not easy, maynot even be worth it, the guarenteed 36 VP are nice but it could distort your entire campaign - see the MP match between Bobo and Glorious Ruse

(in reply to robjoh)
Post #: 2
RE: Leningrad (again....) - 6/23/2021 9:41:41 AM   
robjoh

Thanks Loki. Great points. Might abandon my Leningrad dream and focus more on Moscow... The "problem" is achieving enough VP's in order not to get a sudden loss at year end. Even though I can appreciate the sudden loss VP's it creates lots of problems for me, but I guess that's part of the greatness of the game.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Leningrad (again....) - 6/23/2021 1:48:29 PM   
GloriousRuse

At the current HWM marks, the sudden death is more of a boogeyman to keep you going than it is a real fear. You’re going to take a line of cities from Talinn to Zapo by T10-12 that will bring you into the 500s (or close), after which you just need to pick up 2-3 more targets (or a 30 pointer) anywhere and you’ll be fine.

(in reply to robjoh)
Post #: 4
RE: Leningrad (again....) - 6/23/2021 6:08:24 PM   
OberGeneral

Leningrad requires some careful planning.

http://puu.sh/HRavT/bdf40b827d.png

You need to capture the ports on the east side of Lake Ladoga circled in red
and or do naval patrol with Flieger Fuehrer Ostsee. This will isolate all
units in Leningrad. When they are degraded enough hit them with everything you have.

(in reply to robjoh)
Post #: 5
RE: Leningrad (again....) - 6/29/2021 1:38:42 PM   
robjoh

Thanks!

(in reply to OberGeneral)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> Leningrad (again....) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI