Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Calsualty points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Calsualty points Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Calsualty points - 6/23/2021 11:18:25 PM   
midgard30

The distribution of casualty points on units is done automatically according to the units' value. Is this the designers' choice or is it following boardgame's rules? In the later case, what are these rules and which player decide how to apply the points?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Calsualty points - 6/24/2021 6:04:17 AM   
DingBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: midgard30

The distribution of casualty points on units is done automatically according to the units' value. Is this the designers' choice or is it following boardgame's rules? In the later case, what are these rules and which player decide how to apply the points?

Thanks

The distribution of casualty points, as we have implemented it, is pretty reasonable.

As a quick overview:
For 1 casualty point, pin a unit
For casualty points less than the difference between the casualty rating of the unit and its half unit, reduce the unit to a half unit
After that, eliminate a unit

Casualties are applied to the "lowest priority/value" units first. Value is determined by a points system, so a regular infantry British Rifle squad is worth less than a Commando squad. The support weapons also have points, so in general units with support weapons will be affected after units without. Leaders are considered last.

There are other rules involved. For example, passengers cannot be pinned, only reduced or eliminated. And close assaults have their own rules.

Overall, I think the way we've done it is favorable to the player taking the casualties. However, we definitely learned during beta that we have some very smart players. If there are suggestions to improve the process, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers.

(in reply to midgard30)
Post #: 2
RE: Calsualty points - 6/24/2021 3:11:36 PM   
FroBodine

My suggestion is to let US decide how to take our casualty hits. Not the computer.

(in reply to DingBat)
Post #: 3
RE: Calsualty points - 6/24/2021 3:27:55 PM   
DingBat

quote:

ORIGINAL: FroBodine

My suggestion is to let US decide how to take our casualty hits. Not the computer.

This was discussed, and will likely be re-visited. Our biggest concern wrt this feature is the amount of time it will take each player. It also does not mesh well with opportunity fire in multiplayer games.

Cheers

< Message edited by DingBat -- 6/24/2021 3:28:03 PM >

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 4
RE: Calsualty points - 6/28/2021 3:58:51 AM   
Tycho

Keep the system as is. If the player knows how the rule works it gives them some tough choices - do you min-max to fire most efficiently (e.g hit the 11 column, don't "waste" points by having 18 in the stack) or mix in lower quality squads to suck up damage and keep the elite ones at full strength longer. Current rule is simple, clean, and works.

(in reply to DingBat)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Calsualty points Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI