Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: If you could design your own computer wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: If you could design your own computer wargame Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 1:33:54 PM   
RangerJoe

I would like to have a game where you start out and make a settlement and go on to have a space empire. Micromanage at first but as your settlement grows, then less micromanagement. If there is combat, then you go to a different game engine for the military movements, then you can either do the battles or the computer can do them. If the wargame goes long enough for another turn in the main game, then you would cut to that game for changes in orders.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 1
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 6:06:59 PM   
mainsworthy

I actualy did it https://manyone88.itch.io/spacewar-9222 , it is the game I want to play, it has crappy graphics though. I stsrted by making a board with lots of hexes so i had a big playing area. but later decided i needed bigger units but I got it working by just putting bigger units on the snall hexes. I liked games like star fleet battles, so I wanted to launch shuttles , fire missiles , i wanted stats and an A.I. at least good enough to give me a game, I wanted a Hotseat so i could play strategy against myself that would be better than any A.I.

but sadly no one has downloaded it or tried it or give any comments except a couple of guys on here. the game was what i thought would be perfect, but i found out its only perfect to me. its sad because i love it.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 6:20:24 PM   
mainsworthy

edit

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 6/24/2021 10:09:13 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 7:45:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

What would you do to make the game ground-breaking - or to set it apart from the rest of the designers??

I have for a long time thought war game designs for computers don't utilize the full potential of the computer. But I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if this is just a perception of mine.
warspite1

I've got no idea what is possible, but I would have a game (ideally as part of a big picture War in the Med game) where I can actually take the role of a task force commander or captain of an individual ship. I would effectively be on the bridge, seeing what I would be able to see given the conditions, knowing what I know only from recce and intelligence. Ooooh I'm all excited just thinking about it

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 4
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 7:48:23 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mainsworthy

I actualy did it https://manyone88.itch.io/spacewar-9222 , it is the game I want to play, it has crappy graphics though. I stsrted by making a board with lots of hexes so i had a big playing area. but later decided i needed bigger units but I got it working by just putting bigger units on the snall hexes. I liked games like star fleet battles, so I wanted to launch shuttles , fire missiles , i wanted stats and an A.I. at least good enough to give me a game, I wanted a Hotseat so i could play strategy against myself that would be better than any A.I.

but sadly no one has downloaded it or tried it or give any comments except a couple of guys on here. the game was what i thought would be perfect, but i found out its only perfect to me. its sad because i love it.

Facebook has a starfleet battles fan page.

I did download it but I have other projects going on right now but I will try it soon.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 5
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 7:52:27 PM   
mainsworthy

I think SFB when I downloaded it, was enforced rules for online play or hotseat , NO A.I. but its still good fun.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/24/2021 10:07:53 PM   
WYBaugh

What software are you using to develop your games?

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 7
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 2:43:17 AM   
Delaware

I have longed for a Cuban Missile Crisis game. Where you have to plan photo recon missions against Cuban/Soviet opposition. Then conduct air strikes against missile sites, EW missions, Air to Air missions, all the while trying not to lead to Nuclear War. Think War Over Vietnam by Tiller but turn based.
That’s my dream game.

(in reply to WYBaugh)
Post #: 8
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 11:53:25 AM   
RFalvo69

I would program a fantasy game that uses "Dwarf Fortress" to create the World, and Skyrim (with enhanced crafting rules) to play in it. It would be mind-boggling.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 9
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 12:12:11 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Whole Eastern front, 3.5 days, wego, division level.
Focus on operational warfare with movement path plotting for units+possibility for general behaviour advice (e.g. sit still until enemy comes within two hexagons, if so move towards it and attack). This should mirror the influence/Oda loops of corps/army commanders and you as the player represent the entirety of corps/army/army group command.

Detailed logistical system (railway, depot, trucks, horses, living off land).

Level of detail constant among all game aspects. Designed in a way that your time is best spent on planning operations and higher level logistics, not micromanaging army organisation aspects or huge amounts of ant units.
(No week long turns and too simple binary ZOC rules on the one hand, but recon aircraft camera settings on the other hand)

Focus on human vs human play, but with Ai that uses new technologies like machine learning.
No clinging to boardgame thinking, but making use of computing power for continous rules, e.g. ZOC being dependent on factors like unit mobility/supply/ranged weapoms

Other idea: Victoria 3 as announced so far, but with detailed war mechanics in Ww1 setting for close interaction between population, war economy and military aspects.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 6/25/2021 12:23:26 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 10
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 12:37:02 PM   
Mobeer

Groundbreaking - probably a tactical game where one unit detecting the enemy doesn't mean an entire side has detected the enemy, but which still allows units to communicate to a less than perfect extent.

Or maybe a FPS where the AI can work in squads.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 11
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 12:37:40 PM   
CapnDarwin

I am a designer/programmer on a team making games and my question to you is, what is using the full potential of today's computers mean to you? Right now there are so many shapes and sizes of monitors, tons of mice, keyboards, and controllers, an endless number of drivers and updates that can cause programmers no end of issues trying to make a game everyone can play and enjoy.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 12
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 12:56:17 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

quote:

ORIGINAL: CapnDarwin

I am a designer/programmer on a team making games and my question to you is, what is using the full potential of today's computers mean to you? Right now there are so many shapes and sizes of monitors, tons of mice, keyboards, and controllers, an endless number of drivers and updates that can cause programmers no end of issues trying to make a game everyone can play and enjoy.

In case this is addressed to me: I have the impression that many wargames still limit themselves to boardgame thinking. My favourite example is the ZOC in War in the East: You either have ZOC on a hexagon when an enemy unit is nearby, or you haven't if it is not. It does not matter if the unit is a 500men depleted unfed security regiment, or a 18k men elite Panzergrenadier division. For a boardgame you need a simple rule, but a computer can quickly calculate the appropriate ZOC based on supplies, fatigue, unit strength and mobility.

Other possibilities are using non-plain maps, but having the theatre mapped on a sphere to avoid distortions. Continous instead of discrete (hexagons, provinces) maps are a possibility too.
The WEGO aspect could be used more as well. Computers allow the time invervall to be sliced up into many small parts that can be simulated one after another to create a more continous experience, not like "I move for a week while you stand still, then we reverse roles"

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 6/25/2021 1:08:08 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 13
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 1:26:58 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer
Groundbreaking - probably a tactical game where one unit detecting the enemy doesn't mean an entire side has detected the enemy, but which still allows units to communicate to a less than perfect extent.

Haven't the Combat Mission games had this for ages (all CMx2 games)?

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 14
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 3:41:32 PM   
wodin

I've posted a couple of times here with two or three designs when similar questions are asked.

OK found it

Four games.

A detailed indepth tactical squad based wargame that finally has all the features everyone wants straight off the bat. WEGO or some other form is fine though WEGO prefer. RPG elements. Squads with 1 man casualties like Squad Battles. Detailed comms. Tailor made urban combat mechanics. Multi level buildings, Sewers. Obstacles and IP's. SOP's. Off map arty. Air support. Para drops. Leader stats. Higher Command interaction.

A detailed man vs man scale tactical wargame. Indepth RPG features. Plus all the game above wants.

Detailed WW1 air combat tactical game. Use updated mechanics used in Achtung SPitfire and Flight Commander 2 so the actual pixel pilot skills effecting how well he performs in battle and if he can pull of the desired move you set. Darkwind on steam has a great car combat mechanic that if a z axis was added would be superb for this type of game. Squadron management. RPG features so you become attached to your pilots. Manage high command requests for next day objectives. A and B flight is a scout and C flight two seater recon. Deal with recon, arty spotting, bombing , balloon busting and trench strafing. The better your squadron performs the more skill points you can invest in air crew and the mess or trips to town to help nerves and fatigue etc.

Next a WW1 company trench wargame. Think Sims\Tower Defence\RimWorld\RPG\Prison Architect\Dwarf Fortress. You design your trench system improving over time and you manage your men and officers dealing with the weather, patrols, trench design and building, dug out design, orders from high command, giving leave, putting a man in for medal, defending German raids and patrols, intel gathering, the big push, aftermath of big pushes, different units opposite means sometimes live and let live and other times constant alert needed. If you get through the War maybe three or four have survived through it all and are still with you. Many dead and wounded, others promoted and transferred (you are informed of their deaths or if they win awards or say if join RFC have become an Ace etc to add immersion). You'll be able to see a list of all the men who have passed through your ranks and what happened to them this being updated constantly and be very interesting to read end of war. This game would be full of narrative and immersion. Create clever designed redoubts and see how well they stand upto attack etc. Position your MG's as more arrive over time. Forward liaison officers. Downed Pilots. Fix drainage issues. Fix hygiene issues. Periods in and out of the line. Out of the line arrange baths, football matches and lots of training if possible plus no doubt assimilate drafts. Lots of possibilities. Learn new training methods. New Arty methods men need training about. Mine and underground warfare.

Post #: 15
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 4:17:50 PM   
MrsWargamer

If I had the slightest clue how to make a wargame at all.......

I'd likely clone Steel Panthers, without the old software hassles. I'd likely call it Son of Steel Panthers (because Daughter of Steel Panthers sounds too forced).
It would look like someone had packaged Steel Panthers Enhanced, with Steel Panthers MBT and Steel Panthers Brigade Combat all in one program. You'd just pick which one to run at the start menu.
It would have a special program that understood how to add user-created content without the usual gymnastics. It would of course have the Mega Campaigns able to be added. But that's a separate purchase.
It would be made able to understand hardware and OS developments correctly. No weird hardware issues.

Otherwise, it would look just like Steel Panthers.
No weird modern notions I have never wanted to begin with.
No real time, no 3d, no WEGO.
If you want that, there is no shortage of other games that have it.

In a happier world, I'd own Hasborg, just long enough to sell off the rights to everything Avalon Hill to my own private self. Whereupon I'd sell off Hasborg as I'd no longer want it.
I'd then re release my Avalon Hill titles.
And I'd make faithful computer adaptions.
The trick is I'd be rich enough that making a profit on these items wouldn't matter.
I'd put them on sale for the benefit of the hobby.
And reprint them every 5-10 years.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 5:05:22 PM   
gekkoguy35

@wodin

Please forgive me if you're already aware of this game, but you might check out "On the Western Front" on Steam. While you're a divisional commander rather than a company, it does incorporate many things you list in your last wargame idea. There's also some elements of air combat. It's pretty detailed, and you can construct trenches, place hospitals, HQ bunkers, manage your OOB and more. Very neat. I've not had a chance to play it extensively but it seems to have a lot of potential.

For my part, I'd love a ACW game that's done to a level of detail like WitE2. Hexes covering the country, production system, the whole bit. Maybe even some streamlined political options. Like an updated version of the old Frank Hunter ACW game.

< Message edited by gekkoguy35 -- 6/25/2021 5:06:17 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 6:35:52 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy35

@wodin

Please forgive me if you're already aware of this game, but you might check out "On the Western Front" on Steam. While you're a divisional commander rather than a company, it does incorporate many things you list in your last wargame idea. There's also some elements of air combat. It's pretty detailed, and you can construct trenches, place hospitals, HQ bunkers, manage your OOB and more. Very neat. I've not had a chance to play it extensively but it seems to have a lot of potential.

For my part, I'd love a ACW game that's done to a level of detail like WitE2. Hexes covering the country, production system, the whole bit. Maybe even some streamlined political options. Like an updated version of the old Frank Hunter ACW game.

Have it:)

I find certain things about it not sit right. Would have been better at a smaller scale, plus actual to scale trench design building.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 18
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 7:02:51 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

What would you do to make the game ground-breaking - or to set it apart from the rest of the designers??

I have for a long time thought war game designs for computers don't utilize the full potential of the computer. But I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if this is just a perception of mine.

I would do a wargame in VR. Like this, you have a tabletop, some counters, simulated opponents in front of you moving their counters. You have a real wargame in front of you but without the beers.

< Message edited by ncc1701e -- 6/25/2021 7:03:11 PM >

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Post #: 19
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/25/2021 7:38:50 PM   
wodin

quote:

I agree.

Post #: 20
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/27/2021 5:41:05 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I would like to have a game where you start out and make a settlement and go on to have a space empire. Micromanage at first but as your settlement grows, then less micromanagement. If there is combat, then you go to a different game engine for the military movements, then you can either do the battles or the computer can do them.

Meh, already made & done
Empire Earth
Spore
Maybe others too

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/27/2021 6:57:04 PM   
hapshott

A wargame with good AI. I don't have the possibility to commit to an online game.

I always have the feeling that most of the current game designers give a lot of attention to the graphics. This at the expense of the AI.

I find scripted scenario lazy programming and not replayable. You alreay know that X platoons are coming from the right or left when you replay it. A solution for such cases would be more scripts. But then you have a difficult time in debugging and fine-tune all the scripts.

I like the John Tiller campaign (Napoleonic and Civil war) series. But here the scenarios are also scripted. I also think that the AI does sometimes stupid things. I use house rules to restrict me such that the AI can keep up a little. E.g. Use a dice to determine if a unit is allowed to move. Something like the brother against brother system. Here you need to pass a check to see if a unit can move. Do this only for the player and not the AI. By this you give the AI a nice advantage and the AI can be a little stupid. The JT campaign have a lot of scenarios. This also helps replayability

My design would be the topdown look of steel panthers (but better sprites). Combined with we-go mechanic and of course the whole WW2 just as steel panthers has. No DLC for the fronts. I know that we already have something this with Combat Mission. But I think that the AI should be much better than it now is. Especially the random generated missions.

An idea of my would be that the AI determines the tactics it want to us on higher level. Attack centre, use right flank, etc. Perhaps help the AI by looking at the player units, then it selects 4 tactics and randomize which tactics is chosen. After that it will use a tactics engine.

best regards,

Hapshott

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 22
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/27/2021 9:39:09 PM   
Rosseau

"Groundbreaking" is a tough call. But I'd settle for a version of winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank with improved graphics and UI.

Maybe that will be the modern version of the upcoming Matrix Steel Panthers II, or whatever they are calling the true sequel.

(in reply to hapshott)
Post #: 23
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 12:30:37 AM   
Rosseau

Those three titles would certainly be in my (personal) Top 10 over the last 35 years, and I still play them all, except CM is now CMx2.

All three also have detailed scenario editors, so that's a must-have.

They are all groundbreaking for the reasons you listed. And hybrid real time and turn based would be great.

So an amalgamation of those three that will also sell enough copies - there you have it!

Post #: 24
RE: If you could design your own computer wargame - 6/29/2021 2:24:16 AM   
gamer78

By ground breaking?, I've always been in a rush to beta test in Ageod games. But Russian Civil War Gold found me when I've been already playing vanilla. Any historical conflict interest me not only game mechanics, fascinating to learn new history and conflicts.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: If you could design your own computer wargame Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI