Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Resolved] Aircraft Missing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Resolved] Aircraft Missing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Resolved] Aircraft Missing - 6/25/2021 11:21:44 PM   
taylorgeorge

This seems to be my day for bugs. Two in a few hours.

I started building a scenario. I put in an airfield and beefed it up a bit, since I wanted to add a large number of aircraft. I added the aircraft, then armed them. When I closed the aircraft loadout screen, I noticed that the group for the airfield had been deleted. Thinking I had inadvertently hit the delete button somehow and blown past the warning, I regrouped the airfield parts into a base again. When I did so, almost all the aircraft I had based there disappeared off the group - but not off the mission screen to assign them.

Thinking this a little screwy, I deleted the whole base and started over. Repeated same steps, with the same results.

Save attached.

Thanks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WSBot -- 6/28/2021 3:47:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/25/2021 11:43:01 PM   
thewood1

I just looked and there are 48 Backfires(?) on the base. I noticed you named the airfield "Group". Why is it named Group?

If you create a base from various components, the aircraft are not part of the group per se. They are hosted by the airfield (group). Are you trying to make the hosted planes part of the airfield group? Thats not how it works.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/25/2021 11:45:25 PM >

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

(in reply to taylorgeorge)
Post #: 2
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/25/2021 11:59:47 PM   
taylorgeorge

No - that's what is left after the bug. It started off as the original NAS Keflavik, then had some tarmac added, then the aircraft AFTER the tarmac was grouped in. There were LOTS more than just the Backfires there. When I closed the aircraft loadout screen, the NAS Keflavik group disappeared, just leaving the component parts. The "Group" you refer to is when I regrouped all the parts of the airfield.

Take a look at the Mission Editor and you will see all that was there - but doesn't show up on the airfield.

Just FYI - I have had Command for many years and done this dozens and dozens of times. This bug is new.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 12:23:25 AM   
thewood1

Here is what I see on the airfield...

Attachment (1)

You are like puss filled boil on nice of ass of bikini model. You are nasty to everybody but then try to sweeten things up with a nice post somewhere else. That's nice but you're still a boil on a beautiful thing! - BDukes

Post #: 4
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 12:24:10 AM   
thewood1

Here is what I see in mission editor...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 12:24:51 AM   
thewood1

I see 48 in each screenshot using 1147.25.

I tried changing loadouts on a few of the Backfires and they were still there when I closed the ready screen.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/26/2021 12:45:41 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 3:20:00 PM   
KnightHawk75

Thewood1 - You actually have to repeat what he did to see the problems.

quote:

When I did so, almost all the aircraft I had based there disappeared off the group - but not off the mission screen to assign them.

---
Why would they they disappear or be expected to disappear off the mission screen, as the aircraft still existed?
"disappeared off the group" - It's not clear to me what you mean here, do you mean in the group status XX/XX aircraft count, do you mean in the air-ops screen, you mean the right side of the mission screen?

In the loaded scene all 48/48 aircraft are listed when the group is selected in it's status panel for me upon startup. When I delete the group and recreate it all 48/48 are listed when the new group is re-selected again. Are you sure it wasn't just some gui thing where you needed to click off and onto the new group again for it to update\refresh the group status view? (cause I _have_ seen that.)

I _do_ however noticed something else very weird though. The aircraft air-ops screen (after deleting and re-creating a air-base-group) upon selecting an aircraft has all the option buttons incorrectly disabled, such that the only way to arm them is to use the right-click menu after selection. However once I added a new aircraft, and selected only that new aircraft first, then after that step selecting any of the 48 Backfire's the options were no longer grayed out, exiting the screen required a repeat of that (first click other newer aircraft once, then any of the 48 Backfires).
Bizarre.
So deleting the air-base group and recreating it will produce this behavior on member aircraft present at the time of delete.
1. Using loaded sample scene, delete the airbase-group.
2. Highlight all regroup.
3. Goto air-ops screen and see the above mentioned gray-out condition
4. Add a new aircraft, doesn't matter what.
5. Goto air-ops screen select confirm problem again on Backfires, select newly added aircraft, now select Backfires, everything ok.
6. Exit air-ops re-enter airops..repeat 5.
7. Exit air-ops delete airbase group again and recreate it again.
8. Re-enter air-ops screen for new group, now all 49 have the gray-out issue.

quote:

Thinking I had inadvertently hit the delete button somehow and blown past the warning

You very very likely did. There is no warning for deleting a group via delete key. Pressing the delete key while in the air-ops screen with a group selected in the background (as will often be the case), will always delete the group without warning btw so be careful.

Mission Editor..
---
No missions in the editor for that side so little confused on that part of it.

But I did notice 2 problems after deleting the airbase and recreating it.
1. The 48 aircraft there are listed with their OLD group name as a base after the name.
Investigating with lua also confirmed that fact, that each units .base was STILL set to the old group object that should not even exist anymore, but probably does because it's still referenced, although a 'get' on that old-group will fail so it's def marked as deleted.

2. Double clicking on any of the 48 aircraft while in the mission editor gui, resets the map to center on 0,0'ish coords, not that of the actual units location, and changes the zoom level. This does not happen to 'new' units added to a fresh Airbase group, just the ones associated with a now deleted group.

Guesses as to what is happening:
1 Upon an AirBase group being deleted via the delete key the prior member units hosted objects are not being updated to reflect their parent host unit as their 'base', instead they are left as the old AirBase group.

2 Upon an AirBase group create new member units that have hosted units are not having member thier base property updated to reflect their new Airbase group membership of their host.

3.Upon aircraft create\insert to an existing group\base the issue does not occur.

This would explain the mission editor weirdness and most of the gui issues in air-ops screen as the buttom buttons probably has some validation logic that wants at least one to actually belong to the air-base to enable the buttons, but once one does they stay active and the right click menu items maybe don't even have said validation.

Workarounds identified to clear up the issues in the presented scene\situation:
- Via the gui manually delete all aircraft from the AirBase group after it's been re-created, and re-add them.
- Run a script to update the .base property on all the affected aircraft either by explicitly assigning the new base group object for the base property, running ScenEdit_HostUnitToParent for each assigning the new base, or run SetUnit base= ... on all affected units, to force-update them to their new Airbase group.

Either workaround clears up all problems mentioned here in my testing.

Post #: 7
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 5:00:25 PM   
thewood1

I did what he initially said he did by grouping and ungrouping and what I showed is what I got.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 8
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 7:50:17 PM   
KnightHawk75

If you delete the airbase group and re-create it you will get the problem(s) mentioned.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 8:14:18 PM   
thewood1

Odd, I didn't see that. Did you ungroup by hitting delete on the group? That's how I did it.

Post #: 10
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/26/2021 8:47:24 PM   
KnightHawk75

Yup pressing delete key, Just do 1-8 above with the op's scene, you should get the exact same results I did. Both on that part of the issue, and the mission screen which hints at whats really going to cause it.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/27/2021 5:07:49 AM   
michaelm75au

Michael

Post #: 12
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/27/2021 6:54:56 PM   
taylorgeorge

Sorry for the delay - work - pesky thing.

Thanks for looking at this. I repeated again and made sure not to delete the group, and it did it again. So I will leave it to the development wizards to address.

Thanks to all.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 13
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/27/2021 10:21:15 PM   
michaelm75au

Proposed change:
A 'delete' warning will show whenever a group is included in a delete key operation; it will delete the group itself, or the group and any members. or you can cancel that delete.

Michael

Post #: 14
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/27/2021 10:33:02 PM   
thewood1

"or the group and any members"

That is actually a time saver in scenario building in compex scenarios.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 15
RE: Aircraft Missing - 6/28/2021 3:47:56 PM   
WSBot

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Resolved] Aircraft Missing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI