Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SHQ Commander KIA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> SHQ Commander KIA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SHQ Commander KIA - 6/26/2021 4:49:01 AM   
macroman247

Supposed to be rare. Me and my opponent had our SHQ Commander KIA prior to round 30 in current 1.09 game. Obviously, the fighting was nowhere near the actual SHQ...my situation was the dingus decides to travel thousands of miles to join a group of militia that have been trapped behind enemy lines for months? It's not really possible logically or thematically. He's been issuing orders safely in the city and just warps an insane distance to a place I have no supply and surrounded by the enemy. Yeh right.

I guess this isn't technically a bug but I almost feel like posting it there.

Do we have any idea of what the odds of something like this happening actually are?
Post #: 1
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/26/2021 8:22:05 AM   
eddieballgame

Many hours in this game, to include multiplayer, & have never seen that happen.
Hopefully I never will.

(in reply to macroman247)
Post #: 2
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/26/2021 3:08:24 PM   
scottrossi

Had this happen just the other day on round 8! The only time I've full on rage quit and save scummed. I had just gotten a cap V that was perfect for the role, after getting a bunch of fool cap I and II with no war scores, plopped him in and he gets killed 3 rounds later. RNGesus obviously hated me that game, LOL.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 3
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/26/2021 9:59:30 PM   
laagamer

Doesn't it have to do with their combat stats? I can't remember the exact one, but the higher it is, the more likely they'll fight on the front line.

I don't get why you would ever want them to.

Like, do you get more of a bonus if your commander actually fights?

(in reply to scottrossi)
Post #: 4
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/26/2021 11:56:34 PM   
BlueTemplar

IIRC Leaders with high Heroic stat are more likely to go to the front,
and the Lead From the Front (War) Skill also (?) does this, but gives a morale boost every combat round.

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 5
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 12:56:59 AM   
macroman247

Heroic score was 20 and no lead from front trait.

To me it just seems like poor design. There should be minor risk to the SHQ commander, but at least let it be from a fight within my territory. In no universe does a commander drive thousands of miles (we have no researched anything air related) to a unit that is fully surrounded so that he may die with them. You could argue that he was always with them...but that means he would have been MIA for months while someone else was apparently issuing orders for him.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 6
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 4:07:39 AM   
laagamer

He does if he's a goddamn hero!

Post #: 7
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 8:08:41 AM   
Zanotirn

I think it's not unreasonable for the game to set the probability of SHQ commander's death to 0 for units that are completely cut off from supply - after all it does mean that it is hard to get there - plus the risk will typically be higher since it generally means a situation where the regime does not properly control the route between cities and the unit and the unit itself is at a higher risk of losses. It might be relaxed once the regime gets aircraft (though the risk issue remains), but then the SHQ director should not be near enemy AA zones.

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 8
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 10:23:27 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: macroman247

Heroic score was 20 and no lead from front trait.

If his Heroism the score was actually 20, then it sounds like a bug. But I am always warry with 3rd hand account.

Note that there is no trait.
There is Heroism, that defines the propability.
And the "Lead from the Front" skill, that defines performance.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zanotirn

I think it's not unreasonable for the game to set the probability of SHQ commander's death to 0 for units that are completely cut off from supply - after all it does mean that it is hard to get there - plus the risk will typically be higher since it generally means a situation where the regime does not properly control the route between cities and the unit and the unit itself is at a higher risk of losses. It might be relaxed once the regime gets aircraft (though the risk issue remains), but then the SHQ director should not be near enemy AA zones.

It is a lot easier to move one commander in and out, then several thousand tons of supplies. Just remember the Rescue of Mussolini.
They used a Fieseler Storch, a plane that was overloaded with 3 people and no gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBfhFZiCQO4

But I agrre it should be less likely. Honestly, it almost sounds like Vic tried to make it less likely and accidentally mixed up the sign (making it more likely instead).

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/27/2021 10:24:04 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 12:30:04 PM   
Zanotirn

Yes, I assume that at the start of the game your regime might have a few not particularly safe planes made by local workshops, but no serial production and no infrastructure to support a greater number of planes. And serial civilian aircraft will only start appearing once you research their engines, and more likely once you design the first aircraft of your own. So like I said after you get aircraft supply state should be less of a factor in SHQ commander presence, but AA will be instead.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 10
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 6:01:28 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

It might be relaxed once the regime gets aircraft (though the risk issue remains), but then the SHQ director should not be near enemy AA zones.

Unless his name is...Patton.

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 11
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 8:29:55 PM   
laagamer

quote:

I think it's not unreasonable for the game to set the probability of SHQ commander's death to 0 for units that are completely cut off from supply...

But, wouldn't that be the most heroic situation of all?

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 12
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/27/2021 9:37:06 PM   
Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: macroman247

Supposed to be rare. Me and my opponent had our SHQ Commander KIA prior to round 30 in current 1.09 game. Obviously, the fighting was nowhere near the actual SHQ...my situation was the dingus decides to travel thousands of miles to join a group of militia that have been trapped behind enemy lines for months? It's not really possible logically or thematically. He's been issuing orders safely in the city and just warps an insane distance to a place I have no supply and surrounded by the enemy. Yeh right.

I guess this isn't technically a bug but I almost feel like posting it there.

Do we have any idea of what the odds of something like this happening actually are?

quote:

IIRC

Perhaps the SHQ Commander had a son who was apart of that Militia. Whom was dishonorably discharged from the main Corps and threw his lot in with the Militia to spite his father. The Commander felt guilty of being too heavy handed with his son, having been the one who had him kicked out of the Corps. And after a few two many shots of whiskey decides to go and rescue his son, taking with him a small group of elite troops. But only he finally made it alone to where the militia group is while sneaking through enemy lines. And in a bad twist of luck, in the fading light of dusk, the Militia accidentally shot him thinking the commander was an enemy.

Post #: 13
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/28/2021 8:03:04 AM   
loki100

quote:

I think it's not unreasonable for the game to set the probability of SHQ commander's death to 0 for units that are completely cut off from supply - after all it does mean that it is hard to get there - ...

maybe the stress gave him a heart-attack?

(in reply to Zanotirn)
Post #: 14
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/30/2021 11:16:54 AM   
OrnluWolfjarl

quote:

I was experimenting a few months ago with the combat engine, and it seemed that having a higher-up join the assault or defense did make a significant difference to how well the troops were fighting.

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 15
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/30/2021 12:24:44 PM   
BlueTemplar

How can you notice it ?

(in reply to OrnluWolfjarl)
Post #: 16
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/30/2021 1:14:11 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: laagamer

Doesn't it have to do with their combat stats? I can't remember the exact one, but the higher it is, the more likely they'll fight on the front line.

I don't get why you would ever want them to.

OHQ leaders can make Lead from the Front rolls if they're on the frontline, which helps maintain troop morale. Not sure whether the same applies to SHQ leaders when they happen to end up in combat. Unfortunately the morale bonus is only situationally worth the risk of the leader catching a bullet.

(in reply to laagamer)
Post #: 17
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/30/2021 2:13:48 PM   
bvoid

I was resigned to my SHQ commanders being "heroes" but the air commanders do it as well!

In another thread I said they should be flying a desk, and other posters said the commanders could be "doing a Hammond".

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 18
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 6/30/2021 6:17:38 PM   
Pratapon51

Maybe the air commanders were in the AEW&C craft and experienced a fatal case of crash?

(in reply to bvoid)
Post #: 19
RE: SHQ Commander KIA - 9/8/2021 8:36:12 PM   
arvcran2

Intelligence and luck attributes probably affect probabilities of becoming a KIA, or MIA statistic.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> SHQ Commander KIA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI