Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fall Weiss II - problems downloading files

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Fall Weiss II - problems downloading files Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fall Weiss II - problems downloading files - 10/20/2020 3:37:10 AM   
mdsmall

post deleted

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 10/21/2020 1:03:08 PM >

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 871
RE: Fall Weiss II - tech levels for Canada? - 10/20/2020 3:59:02 AM   
mdsmall

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

Having read all the previous posts in this forum, I was surprised that you recently downgraded the access to a number of tech levels for all minors, without a carve-out for Canada. Surely the Canadian forces in WW2 had the same technological and combat capabilities as the British, given how closely integrated the Canadian armed forces were with the UK and increasingly the US later in the war. It seems perverse that other British Commonwealth forces that are not treated as separate minors (e.g. Australian, New Zealand or Indian units) would get the benefit of the full British tech, but the more substantial Canadian forces would not. This seems to have been a fix introduced to get the balance right on the Eastern Front for the various Axis minors and large neutrals, such as Spain and Turkey. But it creates it an imbalance for the smaller North American partner among the Allies.

Are you open to fixing this?

Actually the Indian, British, and New Zealand forces are now "Commonwealth" and are not British forces, so they are in the same boat as Canada. Also all of these forces still benefit from all tech, the only exception is the military doctrine which is assigned to the Major's only (Infantry, Armour, Aerial, Naval, etc.) these are morale boosts for these forces and do not effect the units attack/defense capability or ability to strike more than once. Canada is grouped in with some of the majors in that they are the only minor that can reinforce their naval surface fleet at half cost.

Glad to hear that all the British Commonwealth units are being treated the same. But what is the rationale for treating these units as less able to benefit from the military doctrine technologies, compared to the British? While there was a difference in morale and effectiveness between the Germans and their Romanian allies, for example, I don't think was the case between the British and the Australians or the Canadians. Given that all of the Commonwealth countries joined the war by October 1939 and trained with the British and later the Americans, their capabilities would have progressed at the same speed as Britain. For example, Australia contributed 10,000 pilots and air crew to Bomber Command, while the Canadians made a major industrial contribution to the Allied war effort (which you recognize in the naval build rules), and had their own beach at D Day. Why shift to a "one size fits all" approach to tech for all the minors in the game?

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 872
Fall Weiss II - 10/22/2020 2:46:17 PM   
Finrod76

Good afternoon,

First, thank you for the effort to create this mod, second, excuse my poor knowledge of the English language, I am using google translator ...
I have a problem, when Poland falls, it gives me the following error:

splash_message_dialog: draw_splash_popup_text_to_buffer no such file or directory

It happens just as the Danzing border line is about to disappear.

Thank you very much!!!

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 873
RE: Fall Weiss II - 10/27/2020 6:34:48 PM   
Elessar2

Hey Crispy,

Not sure if this WAD, either from something Hubert or Bill put in or one of your scripts, but, right after the US declared war in early Dec '41, a whole host of American units beamed down to Iraq: Eisenhower, a fighter, tank, corps, and army. I was puzzled since I checked the turn before the DoW and didn't see any US units on the way to the Persian Gulf [which would take them without transporters about 4-7 turns by my reckoning].

For the purposes of play balance I don't have an issue with it, necessarily [Rommel was 2 turns from Baghdad when they DoWed], just found it a bit strange.

< Message edited by Elessar2 -- 10/27/2020 6:35:56 PM >

(in reply to Finrod76)
Post #: 874
RE: Fall Weiss II - 10/27/2020 9:51:36 PM   
Taxman66

Just part of the never ending parade of free units for the AI.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 875
RE: Fall Weiss II - 10/29/2020 1:29:03 AM   
Elessar2

Yeah, but they need it. I was just questioning the timing 'tis all.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 876
Reinforcement costs for Canadian destroyers - 11/3/2020 3:09:47 AM   
mdsmall

Hi Crispy

I am currently playing your mod for the first time, as the Allies. I was under the impression from something I had read on this Forum that Canadian naval units can build and reinforce at the unmodified rate as the UK, unlike other minors. However, I am trying to reinforce one of my two Canadian destroyers and it is costing me double the price in MPPs (17 MPPs per point) compared to a British destroyer. Is this what you had intended?

Michael

Post #: 877
Turkey joins the Axis - 11/3/2020 3:16:26 AM   
mdsmall

Crispy - another question from playing through the latest version of FAll Weiss. On the second turn in 1939 (I think) I was offered a DE option to reject the Russian - Turkish treaty. I said yes, because I was interested in the 10% bump in Soviet mobilization. Up until this turn (May 7, 1941), Turkey has been sitting quietly at 12% towards the Allies. As soon as the Axis launched Operation Barbarosa, Turkey mobilizes and joins the Axis.

Is this radical shift due entirely to the DE I accepted at the beginning of the game? I can't remember what it said in the Notes, but was this forecast? If it was, I must have been in a daze when I said YES, because the modest increase in Soviet mobilization is hugely offset by the strategic liability in the Middle East and the Caucusus of having Turkey join the Axis at the beginning of Barbarosa.

Post #: 878
RE: Reinforcement costs for Canadian destroyers - 11/3/2020 12:13:14 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

Hi Crispy

I am currently playing your mod for the first time, as the Allies. I was under the impression from something I had read on this Forum that Canadian naval units can build and reinforce at the unmodified rate as the UK, unlike other minors. However, I am trying to reinforce one of my two Canadian destroyers and it is costing me double the price in MPPs (17 MPPs per point) compared to a British destroyer. Is this what you had intended?

Michael

Hmmm thanks for reporting this, they should be cheaper to reinforce I may have reverted it back somehow by accident, consider it on the fix list for next version.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 879
RE: Fall Weiss II - 11/3/2020 12:16:34 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Yeah, but they need it. I was just questioning the timing 'tis all.

It is a scripted event (AI only) after the fall of Egypt. It is quite fast for them to show up I agree, I do have a dummy script which will delay their arrival at least 1 turn so that they won’t arrive upon war entry maybe I should delay it at least another, I don’t want the AI to wait 4-5 turns though.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 880
RE: Turkey joins the Axis - 11/3/2020 12:19:45 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

Crispy - another question from playing through the latest version of FAll Weiss. On the second turn in 1939 (I think) I was offered a DE option to reject the Russian - Turkish treaty. I said yes, because I was interested in the 10% bump in Soviet mobilization. Up until this turn (May 7, 1941), Turkey has been sitting quietly at 12% towards the Allies. As soon as the Axis launched Operation Barbarosa, Turkey mobilizes and joins the Axis.

Is this radical shift due entirely to the DE I accepted at the beginning of the game? I can't remember what it said in the Notes, but was this forecast? If it was, I must have been in a daze when I said YES, because the modest increase in Soviet mobilization is hugely offset by the strategic liability in the Middle East and the Caucusus of having Turkey join the Axis at the beginning of Barbarosa.

It is a potential consequence and stated in the notes of the decision, nothing is free!

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 881
RE: Turkey joins the Axis - 11/3/2020 12:26:09 PM   
mdsmall

[It is a potential consequence and stated in the notes of the decision, nothing is free!]
[/quote]

Hi Crispy - I know nothing is free in this game (and certainly not your mod! I am just wondering how I could have been so dumb as to have said YES?? Could you post this Decision Event and the Notes, so I can read them again?

More generally, is there any way players can read all of your new DEs for this mod? I have found it very helpful to read and re-read all the DEs for the main game in the War in Europe Strategy Guide.

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 11/3/2020 12:28:13 PM >

Post #: 882
RE: Turkey joins the Axis - 11/3/2020 1:02:20 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

[It is a potential consequence and stated in the notes of the decision, nothing is free!]

Hi Crispy - I know nothing is free in this game (and certainly not your mod! I am just wondering how I could have been so dumb as to have said YES?? Could you post this Decision Event and the Notes, so I can read them again?

More generally, is there any way players can read all of your new DEs for this mod? I have found it very helpful to read and re-read all the DEs for the main game in the War in Europe Strategy Guide.

All the of the decisions and the notes can be viewed in the editor under scripts/view. I hope that is helpful!

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 883
RE: Turkey joins the Axis - 11/3/2020 1:19:40 PM   
mdsmall

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

quote:

All the of the decisions and the notes can be viewed in the editor under scripts/view. I hope that is helpful!

Apologies but I have not yet been able to figure out how to access the Editor. It does not seem to load when I click on the box under Play War in Europe. (The manual and the stratey guides open but not the editor). Can you give me instructions on how to find the DE scripts? I am keen to read them.

Post #: 884
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/10/2020 6:39:51 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Crispy

Myself and my opponent are continuing to enjoy playing Fall Weiss by PBEM. I have a few further questions about what you have changed in it, compared to the original:

- Submarines: both myself and my Axis opponent have noticed that destroyers and light cruisers are now more powerful in attack against subs and that subs with tech levels of 1 or 2 can take several big hits before diving to evade damage. Can you explain the changes you made to sub/ASW combat and what your thinking was here?

- Oil shortages: you mention that you have made some changes to reflect the Axis needs for oil supplies. Can you elaborate on what these effect and how they will kick in?

- Sandstorms: this is a small point, but I noticed in my current game that clear hexes in the desert cost and additional AP to move into when they are covered by sandstorms. This might be in the original game too, but it is not mentioned in the rules and i have not come across it before. Is this a change you made in this mod? (If so, it makes sense to me).

- Decision Events: I have noticed some typos in the wording of a few of the new Decision Events, plus places which were unclear about the MPP costs on a per turn basis. I would like to give you feedback on the wording of the these Decision Events, but I am sorry, I can't figure out how to access the Editor in order to read them. Would it be possible to post the texts of all of them as an attachment to this Forum. That would no doubt help other players read them too.

Cheers,

Michael

Post #: 885
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/13/2020 11:30:42 PM   
Elessar2

Crispy: you may already be aware of the following, but, just in case you are not. A clarification of the bonuses that the Logistics tech gives you, towards the end of the thread: RE: Guess the Supply level of the Italian Tanks in Tobruk. If that is the case, then you arguably could cap the chits at 1 and charge 200 MPPs per. Elsewise next game I am going to have L5 Logistics by 1942.

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 886
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/23/2020 2:54:27 PM   
crispy131313

Hi Crispy

Myself and my opponent are continuing to enjoy playing Fall Weiss by PBEM. I have a few further questions about what you have changed in it, compared to the original:

- Submarines: both myself and my Axis opponent have noticed that destroyers and light cruisers are now more powerful in attack against subs and that subs with tech levels of 1 or 2 can take several big hits before diving to evade damage. Can you explain the changes you made to sub/ASW combat and what your thinking was here?

The changes were actually no change at all. This is previously how Destroyers/Subs interacted in the main game, it was later changed to how you currently know. However with the additional U-boats available to the Axis in the mod and the lower cost relative all other Axis ships I felt it fit my mod better.

- Oil shortages: you mention that you have made some changes to reflect the Axis needs for oil supplies. Can you elaborate on what these effect and how they will kick in?

If the Axis do not secure the Caucasus by the end of 1942 the Axis will suffer oil shortages, and all mines in Western Europe will reduce in supply intermittently to represent this MPP penalty, it can be partially offset by investing in synthetic oil early in the game, but not entirely.

- Sandstorms: this is a small point, but I noticed in my current game that clear hexes in the desert cost and additional AP to move into when they are covered by sandstorms. This might be in the original game too, but it is not mentioned in the rules and i have not come across it before. Is this a change you made in this mod? (If so, it makes sense to me).

I made 0 changes to weather, perhaps the game developers did at some point in a patch.

- Decision Events: I have noticed some typos in the wording of a few of the new Decision Events, plus places which were unclear about the MPP costs on a per turn basis. I would like to give you feedback on the wording of the these Decision Events, but I am sorry, I can't figure out how to access the Editor in order to read them. Would it be possible to post the texts of all of them as an attachment to this Forum. That would no doubt help other players read them too.

I've written more new decision scripts than were in the original game, it would takes hours and hours to do this. If you can not use the editor I would suggest opening up the Events folder and reading the text doc. It's immensely easier in the editor though and presented as it appears in game. I would welcome any typo help, it's difficult to spot on my own as I am so familiar with the decisions I quickly glaze through!

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 887
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/23/2020 2:55:39 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elessar2

Crispy: you may already be aware of the following, but, just in case you are not. A clarification of the bonuses that the Logistics tech gives you, towards the end of the thread: RE: Guess the Supply level of the Italian Tanks in Tobruk. If that is the case, then you arguably could cap the chits at 1 and charge 200 MPPs per. Elsewise next game I am going to have L5 Logistics by 1942.

There are so many priority items already, spending 200 MPP on logistics could set you back in other places. Are you certain it would need adjusting?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 888
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/23/2020 4:02:53 PM   
BillRunacre

I don't recall us changing anything to do with sandstorms, and there's nothing in the patch notes for War in Europe so I think things have been this way for a very long time indeed.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 889
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/23/2020 4:12:52 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill - that may be, but it is nowhere mentioned in the Game Manual, and I review the Weather Effects section more often than any other section of the Manual.

In the same vein, does rain/fog have the same effect on increasing the costs of land movement? I noticed effects that looked that way in my last couple of turns.

If so, perhaps these changes in the weather effects could be issued as a clarification in the next patch.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 890
RE: changes in this Mod - 11/24/2020 8:54:37 AM   
BillRunacre

HI Michael

There's a table in the Manual in section 6.3.6. that shows this, as it lists some weather effects as well as terrain types and their effect on movement:

However, you are right in that these don't show in the weather effects section.

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 11/24/2020 8:56:23 AM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 891
RE: changes in this Mod - 2/3/2021 6:16:43 PM   
laibachoid

Hi Crispy,
After turn 3 (fall of Poland), the game crashes. The dialog of the connection of the city of Danzig to Germany should probably be displayed. An error message occurs:
FAILED(draw_splash_popup_text_to_buffer): No such file or directory.
It didn't happen to me in the older version (I play after about a year).
Thanks.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 892
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 4/22/2021 5:06:16 PM   
Raptor341

Is the current version of the mod still working with the latest patch for PBEM? Loads fine, just double checking. Looking to start a game soon.

Post #: 893
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 4/27/2021 8:18:48 PM   
Cannon Cocker

I've downloaded the file:
quote:

Fall Weiss II - War In Europe version 8.3

However, I'm unsure of where to upload it. Can you help with that?

Cannon Cocker

Post #: 894
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 4/27/2021 9:26:57 PM   
Taxman66

C:\Users\<owner>\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War In Europe\Campaigns

Where <owner> is your ID

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Cannon Cocker)
Post #: 895
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 5/1/2021 1:54:25 AM   
stormbringer3

My game has the latest update v1.21.00. If I pick this this Campaign from the menu of Campaigns to play is it the most recent version? If not what version is it?
Thanks.

Post #: 896
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 5/31/2021 8:43:44 PM   
rarothl

Crispy,
Really enjoying Fall Weiss II.
The interaction between subs & destroyers seem much more realistic & causes the subs to hide somewhat, which is good.
Also the new decisions, which I'm sure took a lot of time & effort, really makes one think.
I like other changes that you made as well.

However, I do have a question about Malta: one decision event can make the AA strength 13. To take it out, using the usual methods(battleships, lowering supply, attacking with bombers) is very costly due to the damage caused to the bombers compared to the value of taking Malta. Do you think on hindsight that a strength of 13 is too much? What have you or others discovered about how to beat it in a worthwhile way?
Thanks, in advance, for your input.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 897
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 6/24/2021 5:35:07 PM   
Lothos

HI

Not sure you ever played HoI 1,2 or 3 but if you have then you may have heard of me "TRP Mod"

I don't really mod anymore and just play games when I have time and was Strategic Command is one of my favorite games to play. I saw your mod and I was wondering how can I tell if I have the most current version? I have this game through Steam so I was not sure if this was auto updated or not.

Thank you in advance

(in reply to rarothl)
Post #: 898
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 7/4/2021 2:55:18 AM   
mdswift

Lothos, I do believe the most current version is 8.3. Cheers

(in reply to Lothos)
Post #: 899
RE: Fall Weiss II - WIE 7.3 - (Ready for Download) - 7/8/2021 9:23:34 PM   
gdpsnake1979

Crispy or Bill,

So I was Playing Fall Weiss II 7.3. As the German player, I took Murmansk. The notice said that Soviet morale was decreased. Imagine my surprise when the morale bar INCREASED! And no, there were no other events that turn that would cause an increase in Soviet Morale. Definitely a bug.

(in reply to mdswift)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Fall Weiss II - problems downloading files Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI