Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario customization questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenario customization questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario customization questions - 7/8/2021 5:06:54 AM   
Ratbag55

Hi

I have a few questions about customization of scenarios. I have searched the forum for conclusive answers, but no luck - hopefully someone can help me out!

My setup is TOAW IV v4.1.0.20 direct installed (not Steam) on Windows 10 machine.

Question 1 - Graphics files
I am working on a scenario named 'AFCENT 5KM.sce'.
I have placed the scenario in the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\Modern - NATO vs Warsaw Pact\AFCENT 5KM'.
The folder contains the following files that I have customized;

- AFCENT 5KM.sce
- AFCENT 5KM.eqp
- microtiles_marsh.png
- s_tiles_marsh.png
- tiles_marsh.png

But when I open the scenario from this folder, either as a game or in the editor, only the customized equipment file is loaded, not the graphics files.
What am I doing wrong please?

Question 2 - Unit graphics
Am I correct to understand that all unit graphics are now loaded from one file, and so any changes made to the file with the "NATO symbols" will effect all forces and both sides?
Am I also correct that I would make a copy of the master file, edit the copy and place it in the scenario folder?

Question 3 - Unit designations
Is it possible to change what I would refer to as the designation of a unit icon?
I understand I can for example change the visual graphic of the unit icon "Horse Artillery", but can I also change the designation to read for example "Towed Artillery"?

Question 4 - Map tile designations
Is it possible to change what I would refer to as the designation of a map tile?
I understand I can for example change the visual graphic of the map tile "Suez Canal", but can I also change the designation to read for example "Major Canal"?

Many thanks!
Ratbag

< Message edited by Ratbag55 -- 7/8/2021 9:04:21 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/8/2021 12:37:50 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ratbag55

Hi

I have a few questions about customization of scenarios. I have searched the forum for conclusive answers, but no luck - hopefully someone can help me out!

My setup is TOAW IV v4.1.0.20 direct installed (not Steam) on Windows 10 machine.

I have placed the scenario in the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Scenarios\Modern - NATO vs Warsaw Pact\AFCENT 5KM'.

- AFCENT 5KM.sce
- AFCENT 5KM.eqp
- microtiles_marsh.png
- s_tiles_marsh.png
- tiles_marsh.png

But when I open the scenario from this folder, either as a game or in the editor, only the customized equipment file is loaded, not the graphics files.

Create in your user directory a folder called "AFCENT 5KM". The folder should be placed under the "Graphics Override" folder. This folder should contain your modified graphics files and the equipment file.

quote:

Am I correct to understand that all unit graphics are now loaded from one file, and so any changes made to the file with the "NATO symbols" will effect all forces and both sides?
Am I also correct that I would make a copy of the master file, edit the copy and place it in the scenario folder?

Is it possible to change what I would refer to as the designation of a unit icon?
I understand I can for example change the visual graphic of the unit icon "Horse Artillery", but can I also change the designation to read for example "Towed Artillery"?

Is it possible to change what I would refer to as the designation of a map tile?
I understand I can for example change the visual graphic of the map tile "Suez Canal", but can I also change the designation to read for example "Major Canal"?

For #2. Any edits to the symbol file for units will affect both sides. Place the edited copy in the "AFCENT 5KM" folder that you created in the "Graphics Override" folder.

For #3 and 4. Make a copy of the file "EnglishGameText.xml" and put the copy in the "AFCENT 5KM" folder with the graphics icons and the equipment file. Rename this copied file to "AFCENT 5KMText.xml". In that file, you can change the text strings the game uses for terrain types and unit type icons. For example, the string,

<s_1240 t="ARTILLERY_HORSE_ICON_STRING" v="Horse Artillery"/>

can be changed to,

<s_1240 t="ARTILLERY_HORSE_ICON_STRING" v="Towed Artillery"/>

Would also recommend upgrading to version .40.

Cheers

< Message edited by cathar1244 -- 7/8/2021 12:44:40 PM >

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 3:41:39 AM   
Ratbag55

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

quote:

Hi

- AFCENT 5KM.sce
- AFCENT 5KM.eqp
- microtiles_marsh.png
- s_tiles_marsh.png
- tiles_marsh.png

Create in your user directory a folder called "AFCENT 5KM". The folder should be placed under the "Graphics Override" folder. This folder should contain your modified graphics files and the equipment file.

Done. Works now with modified graphics files and the equipment file. Excellent!

quote:

For #2. Any edits to the symbol file for units will affect both sides. Place the edited copy in the "AFCENT 5KM" folder that you created in the "Graphics Override" folder.

For #3 and 4. Make a copy of the file "EnglishGameText.xml" and put the copy in the "AFCENT 5KM" folder with the graphics icons and the equipment file. Rename this copied file to "AFCENT 5KMText.xml". In that file, you can change the text strings the game uses for terrain types and unit type icons. For example, the string,

<s_1240 t="ARTILLERY_HORSE_ICON_STRING" v="Horse Artillery"/>

can be changed to,

<s_1240 t="ARTILLERY_HORSE_ICON_STRING" v="Towed Artillery"/>

I have followed your instructions to the letter, but the "AFCENT 5KMText.xml" still wont load. I even made a backup of the master "EnglishGameText.xml" in the install directory and made the change to the original file. Still does not load in the game or the editor.

As a test, I deleted the original master file "EnglishGameText.xml" from the install directory and restarted the game. Game and editor works perfectly without the file, which makes me believe the file is no longer in use by the game, and that the information has been hardcoded?

That would be terribly dissapointing, since the ability to rename unit types and hex types would have extended the lifespan of TOAW considerably, allowing designers to create more customisation and thereby flavour and more immersive scenarios.

Grateful if someone could confirm for me if this is the case, or if I'm doing something wrong?

quote:

Would also recommend upgrading to version .40.

Done - thanks

Ratbag

< Message edited by Ratbag55 -- 7/9/2021 3:52:53 AM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 4:49:11 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

I have followed your instructions to the letter, but the "AFCENT 5KMText.xml" still wont load.

Try renaming the file to:

AFCENT 5KMGameText.xml

As I learned it, the file format is: "(Your Scenario File Name)GameText.xml"

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 5:31:20 AM   
cathar1244

Yep, I forgot the "Game" part of that filename. Should work once you do that.

Cheers

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 5:47:43 AM   
Ratbag55

That's what I get for not reading the instructions properly...

Many thanks for your help!!

Ratbag

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 10:14:38 AM   
Ratbag55

Ok, so I got it working now - but I have a follow-on question;

Some of the unit icons/types have special capabilities - Helicopter units can only have helicopter equipment for example.
Is it at all possible to edit these unit icons/types capabilities?
Let's say I wanted to use another unit icon/type and change it into a Helicopter unit icon/type? Or I wanted to change another unit icon/type into an Airmobile unit?

Can it be done?

Thanks
Ratbag

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/9/2021 2:36:02 PM   
76mm

quote:

Is it at all possible to edit these unit icons/types capabilities?

As far as I understand, this is not possible

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario customization questions - 7/10/2021 5:46:43 AM   
Ratbag55

I will add that to the wish-list: a Unit Type Editor for the scenario editor :)

Ratbag

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Scenario customization questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI