Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Patrol Deciphering the results

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Naval Patrol Deciphering the results Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Patrol Deciphering the results - 7/11/2021 4:49:02 PM   
con

Is there a way to see if you sink enemy shipping etc after a Naval patrol
I see that I have managed to convert interdiction so that I own the sea (actually lake hexes) on Lake Ladoga but I dont see any info apart from what I lost in bombers etc to Flak which I am assuming was from ships since it was on open water hexes.
Basically I am trying to understand if one big naval air offensive will destroy enough enemy shipping or if I have to dial it back and do continuous low level naval patrols with corresponding airframe ops losses to consider if it is worthwhile.

Con
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Patrol Deciphering the results - 7/11/2021 5:14:48 PM   
loki100

well shipping is very much abstracted, what you are really trying to do is create enough interdiction to deny your opponent resupply across sea hexes.

you'll find enemy transport losses on the loss report, if you alter this to show loss by phase you'll see the impact during the air phase (most likely nil) and during the logistics phase (which is where supply moves will have happened)

The problem here is this is an aggregate number, not by shipping zone.

edit - there is a low level of replacement production for shipping by sea or lake sector. 28.2.7 covers this and the Soviets get 1 new transport ship on Lake Ladoga per month, so yes hit it hard enough and it'll be a long time before they really recover.

The practical problem for your analysis is the phase when you actively generate interdiction (air execution) is not the phase where most relevant movement takes place (the logistics phase). Same problem can make it hard to discern the impact of ground interdiction on supply etc

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/11/2021 5:49:41 PM >

(in reply to con)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Patrol Deciphering the results - 7/18/2021 4:42:17 PM   
con

Follow up question
If I want to prevent units from escaping from a port city via ship transport is it better to have a wide naval interdiction air directive targeting a lot of sea hexes around the port or a tight one where I only target the sea hexes closest to the port but hit them hard?

I am trying to prevent Russians from evacuating from Osinovets in RtoL scenario but my depleted Ju88s are getting murdered by Soviet air patrols if I set the naval directive anything more than a couple of hexes

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Patrol Deciphering the results - 7/18/2021 5:22:00 PM   
loki100

depends on the layout, to stop any exits you need to isolate the port, so that means 2 more levels of interdiction than the defenders, in the combat phase (you need to isolate in their phase to stop supply so there is a trade off here).

If the port has one exit hex, that'll do you, but Odessa has 2 if I recall, so you need to interdict a 2*2 block at least.

Now there is a trick you might use, naval patrols drop interdiction along their in/out lines, so sometimes a one hex target with different routes can generate just the pattern you need

(in reply to con)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Naval Patrol Deciphering the results Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI