Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Facts about annoying AI behavior

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Facts about annoying AI behavior Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Facts about annoying AI behavior - 7/14/2001 12:23:00 PM   
Greg McCarty

A number of months ago, I and some others brought this up during a discussion about odd vehicle behavior encountered during scenario developement. One problem I had was trucks, and other light vehicles which, when under the control of the AI, could not be made to sit still, even with a REACT setting of 99. All too often trucks would go flying off to some urgent destination, out of control toward the enemy in many cases. This sort of thing was obviously disruptive to scenario developement. Recently, while putting together another one I got some insight into what might be causing this, or at least what might be involved. The behavior seems to be tied up with the RT hexes somehow. In a defend scenario, if no retreat hex is placed on the map, the computer seems to be assigning an invisible one by default in some cases. Or it might be that I have accidentally entered a 1 or 0 keystroke while in the map editor, but no RT flag resulted. This is speculation on my part; I'm just not quite certain what is taking place. I have not figured out just where the unintended RT ends up, but it is usually in a place where you dont want it to be. Now in defend scenarios, when vehicles are controlled by the AI, what the computer seems to try to do is evacuate the soft vehicles, such as trucks to the nearest RT hex. In many cases this might be desirable, but in a situation where no RT has been placed, the trucks, and in some cases light half-tracks will shoot for that invisible, arbitrarily assigned RT hex the AI may place by default. There still doesn't seem to be a clear solution, but when I deliberately assigned an RT hex for the defend side on the map, the matter cleared up to the extent that some control over where the vehicles will direct themselves was now possible. How did I find this? I was running a static playtest on a very fast computer AI vs AI with the speed settings in the preferrences page at max. As the screen jumped from place to place, I would occasionally catch a snapshot glimpse of an RT flag in one of those screen jumps. I knew I had never placed one on the map. I halted game execution, and began searching the map for the phantom RT flag. None was found anywhere. So I assigned one. When playtesting was resumed, all the trucks that had previously run amok while under AI control, now made an orderly procession for the recently applied RT hex. If this issue has already been brought to light, then please ignore the post, and clue me in as to what has been learned. I recently observed this behavior in v6.1 by the way. If this is new news, then perhaps it will give the coders some insight as to cause and possible solutions. PS. No, I've not been drinking, and yes, its the damnedest thing I've seen in awhile too. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Greg McCarty ]

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata
Post #: 1
- 7/14/2001 12:39:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Greg, I've never seen this. Not to say it is not there, but these old eyes have not observed it. Michael Wood or Tom Proudfoot would have to answer this one, but I will be looking! Nice catch! It could be the problem. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Greg McCarty)
Post #: 2
- 7/14/2001 7:24:00 PM   
Alby

In the first battle of the MC, the brit trucks were exiting the map before i ever got close to them :)

Post #: 3
- 7/14/2001 8:18:00 PM   
Warhorse

I believe this is by design now. The classes for non-combatant vehicles will work their way to the rear now. Used to be very annoying, the AI would suicide attack with hordes of trucks and carriers, leeching off your opp fire...remember?? I like it this way much better, the AI simply can't handle transport correctly.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 4
- 7/14/2001 9:09:00 PM   
Truckeye

ok, similar goofy sighting. in campaign game with the germans (not MC) i was advancing and had to releive troops that were trying to break out. the map started with all neutral VPs, but were quicky taken by bt7s and su152s. for several turns on one hill 2 su152s did a dance of about faces. going about 2 hexes and turning and repeating this until i killed them. lots of exposed rear shots. thought it was just odd til i read this, now i wonder if its more of a bug of some sort. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Truckeye ]

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

Post #: 5
- 7/14/2001 9:18:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Please try this in 6.1 - we found that the retreat hex was not always being assigned - that and reinforment hexes should always show up at least in teh default positions (middle of back map edge for retreat flanked by the reinforcement hexes. If this is still a problem in Random map games in 6.0+ please let us know. THanks Greg, these sort of posts are VERY helpful!

Post #: 6
- 7/15/2001 8:00:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Truckeye: ok, similar goofy sighting. in campaign game with the germans (not MC) i was advancing and had to releive troops that were trying to break out. the map started with all neutral VPs, but were quicky taken by bt7s and su152s. for several turns on one hill 2 su152s did a dance of about faces. going about 2 hexes and turning and repeating this until i killed them. lots of exposed rear shots. thought it was just odd til i read this, now i wonder if its more of a bug of some sort. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Truckeye ]
This one is probably normal behavior. The AI is protecting the objective to the best of its ability while searching for targets or an approaching threat. Later in the war, those Russian tank crews get better, and will be tougher to take advantage of. There are also preferrence tweaks you can perform to make them less vulnerable, and better at spotting and hitting you back.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

Post #: 7
- 7/16/2001 1:17:00 AM   
Bonzo

About the trucks running away, I (vaguely) remember Tankhead telling me that he had some success getting them to 'stick' by: 1. assigning them to the same formation they are to carry. 2. bump up their experience and armour rating. This, of course, was some time ago with a v5.x build of the game during MegaCampaign development.

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Facts about annoying AI behavior Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI