Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Muslim / Arab Partisans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Muslim / Arab Partisans Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/15/2021 10:00:23 PM   
ReinerAllen

I know they're suppose to be vulnerable, but I don't believe the Turkish corps were able to chase them down in the desert as easily as the game allows.
Post #: 1
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/15/2021 10:06:56 PM   
mdsmall

Old Crow and I are looking at these partisans for the next iteration of the Balkan Variations mod we are testing. In our view, it is way too easy to prevent them from spawning by stationing detachments or garrisons next to their spawning hexes. So, I am considering adding more spawning hexes on a random basis to make it much harder to stop them from forming.

Your comment gives me the idea that it might also be worth giving the Arab and Senussi partisans an increased chance of retreating before combat. Any other suggestions for improving this aspect of the game would be very welcome.

(in reply to ReinerAllen)
Post #: 2
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/16/2021 2:15:26 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ReinerAllen

I know they're suppose to be vulnerable, but I don't believe the Turkish corps were able to chase them down in the desert as easily as the game allows.

You are right! MdSmall and I have been discussing this very subject..and I started prelim work on this. Also, the Senussi (Libya-W. Egypt)and to a lesser extent the Riff rebels (Morocco)are being considered.

I got a ton of resources here at home on the Arab Revolt...and when I bought this wonderful game in Dec 2019, me a another grognard who is an expert on the Hejaz Campaign jumped right in to see what was going to unfold...
Sadly..we were a bit disappointed when it came to this subject in MP play. Still, there are things that can be done here to make an improvement..

Post #: 3
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/29/2021 8:07:00 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

mdsmall and I have been hammering out some work concerning giving some more 'flesh' to the Arab Revolt. Its still on going as we work out a bunch of details. Here is an example of an edited pm I sent..with addenda after getting responses from him.

This is by no means comprehensive, as there are multiple pms and image work done. I used imaging software to do the concept work...not the editor. I can whipped them out far faster. Michael is doing the heavy labor of scripting and editing..and we are continually discussing balane issues, and the flow of DEC's and Events.
This is mostly being done because in MP's..the Arab Revolt almost never happens as a discerning CP player will cover all the Partisan hexes in Arabia.

Still...here is a concept image to wet the beak.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

COPY MSSG TO MDSMALL >
Neutral Arabia Concept Version 4

Michael,

Concept here is enough partisans to spawn that can't be covered by Ottomans. They will have to decide which to cover, but wont have enough.

OOB for this is modified since the last post concerning Neutral Arabia concept.

Neutral Arabia a Major.
Capital: Mecca..place in inaccessible spot on south edge of map SE of Medina.

Azarak Oasis: 1 half strength cavalry. (Howietat)
Wadi Sirhan: 1 half strength cavalry. (Howietat)
Al' Juaf: 1 garrison (Town Arabs)
Yanbo: 1 half strength corp (Sharrif-Meccan)
Yanbo: 1 full strength detachment (UK-Fr. trained Arab unit.
Yanbo: 1 half strength cavalry (Cameleers)

In the force pool:
Prince Feisal HQ (5)
2 half strength detachments

Lawrence HQ deploy in Egypt upon Arab Revolt.

So the bulk of the Arab revolt would depend on gathering what ever Partisans can get mustered.

The Ottomans should receive a detachment each (2 total) that deploy on or near the two towns on the Hejaz RR..(forgot the names..one is Tayma..but the two up from Medina.
It should be hard for the Arabs to reduce these towns or Medina...

How does this look to you. Kinda of a mix between spamming Partisans and having regular but weak and low supply Arab units on board.

MMP generation for Neutral Arabia needs to be low...real low...and maybe a UK convoy may be used...don't know.
I feel this could work..did research on the tribal units. Partisan units cover them well.

Let me know what you think.

Mike
<END COPY MSSG

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michaels response:
COPY MSSG>
Hi Mike,

This is looking very promising. I have almost finished writing a mod with all of your changes. I just have to de-bug an issue that is preventing me from adding so many additional partisan locations. If i get that solved, I will be able to send you the files via WeTransfer this evening. Password will be "Mecca".

A few issues to check with you now:

- I had to use Saudi Arabia to make "Neutral Arabia"; this was necessary, so we could have partisans rise up in Ottoman occupied Arabia. This means the partisans will belong to a different Entente minor (Arabia) than the regular forces of Saudi Arabia. However, by making Lawrence a British HQ, he can command both. Hope this is OK.

- Lawrence deploys as a 5 strength commander in Port Suez at the start of the Arab Revolt DE. That way the UK player can move him where he might be most useful. I gave Lawrence a command rating of 5. Is that OK? (I gave Faisal a rating of 4 in the Saudi build pool).

- I put the capital of Saudi Arabia in the mountains due west of Medina. It is very hard to reach by Ottoman units - they would end up in zero supply. But it is not completely inaccessible. Keeping it there has the advantage that you can see it with the Saudi flag. But if you want it to be completely invulnerable, I can move it to a completely inaccessible place not on the Arabian peninsula. (Or we could station a defending unit on Mecca). Let me know when you see the map what you think.

- The two oases you want to add in the north-west of Neutral Arabia: are the settlements that have a small supply value (max 3) or are they terrain features with no supply?

- I have added the half strength Cavalry Corps as requested for Yanbo and the Howeitat. But we could use instead Cavalry Division or even a Cavalry Brigade at full strength. What size units would you like these to be?

- Is there a maximum number of Arabian partisans that should spawn?

- Do you want me to increase the Action Points of the Arabian partisans to 4 or 5?

Let me know, tonight if possible!

Cheers

Michael
<END COPY MSSG
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

These messages were from last few days...and we have agreed on many details, including having the Wadi Sirhan Oasis at supply 3 for example. Still a work in progress. Was amused as the OP here brought this up on the forum while Michael and I have been discussing this subject for a long time as we playtested his excellent Balkan Variations Mod.

Thought it would be interesting for others to see how a collaboration on a MOD is done...at least by us two.

We will probably do an entire separate thread in the MOD section that gives more details as we work this out and I receive a file from Michael.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 7/29/2021 8:23:27 PM >

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 4
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/29/2021 8:22:58 PM   
ReinerAllen

This looks fantastic.

Post #: 5
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 7/29/2021 8:31:19 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ReinerAllen

This looks fantastic.

Your welcome! btw..your post spurred us to hot action on this. Thankx ReinerAllen.

Post #: 6
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 8/6/2021 6:59:41 PM   
hottegetthoff

I suggest that if you make the arab revolt an actual threat that cant be prevented, make the Arab revolt event give less of a penalty in NM to the ottomans, but add more NM objectives in the field to balance it out. It kind of sucks atm, since you dont care about the units too much, only the NM penalty is the actual drawback.

Post #: 7
RE: Muslim / Arab Partisans - 8/6/2021 11:40:16 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: hottegetthoff

I suggest that if you make the arab revolt an actual threat that cant be prevented, make the Arab revolt event give less of a penalty in NM to the ottomans, but add more NM objectives in the field to balance it out. It kind of sucks atm, since you dont care about the units too much, only the NM penalty is the actual drawback.

Actually, mdsmall has came to the same conclusion concerning less NM to Ottomans.

We are deeply involved in mod testing, but decided to not update our work publically as its evolving rapidly, and lots of script work is being done on his part...and play testing by us both independently and in conjuction with reports to each other.

Details of what we are doing will come in the future.

cheers.

(in reply to hottegetthoff)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Muslim / Arab Partisans Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI