Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and... - 7/16/2021 5:06:58 PM   
Bamilus

I'm looking for some recommendations on English books that cover the West Front WW2 1944-1945 or American Civil War in a heavier way than popular history and have an emphasis on the military/operations side of things. I'd say in between Richard Overy and David Glantz. Glantz is a bit too detailed for me, but here are some books that I liked the balance/heaviness for comparison:

1. Any of Overy's stuff
2. Robert Citino's stuff
3. Shelby Foote
4. David Stahel's stuff

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 7/16/2021 6:42:48 PM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
Post #: 1
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/16/2021 5:49:14 PM   
76mm

I don't read much about the West Front or Civil War, but one book I would recommend is The Blitzkrieg Legend by Frieser, about the fall of France in 1940. I found it very interesting.

Presumably you're also aware of Atkinson's books, although it sounds like they are a bit on the "light" side of what you're looking for...

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 2
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/16/2021 6:10:46 PM   
Aurelian

The Longest Night by David J Eicher

How the North Won by H Herman Hattaway & Archer Jones

Why the South Lost the Civil War by Beringer, Hattaway, Jones and Still.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/16/2021 6:42:35 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I don't read much about the West Front or Civil War, but one book I would recommend is The Blitzkrieg Legend by Frieser, about the fall of France in 1940. I found it very interesting.

Presumably you're also aware of Atkinson's books, although it sounds like they are a bit on the "light" side of what you're looking for...

Yea Ive read Atkinsons trilogy. Its good but Im looking more for operational focused and less on the soldier's diaries/biographical stuff. Blitzkrieg legend is on my wishlist so Im glad to hewr you recommend it. Ive edited post to specify 1944-1945 but I appreciate the feedback.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 7/16/2021 6:43:21 PM >

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/16/2021 6:59:13 PM   
OldSarge

Two good books on D-Day operations for the Americans would be Joseph Balkoski's books:
Omaha Beach
Utah Beach

He also wrote a five volume series on the history of the 29th US Infantry Division. I've only read Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy

The 29th is known as the Blue and Grey division because it is composed of National Guard units that can trace regimental histories to both Union and Confederate units.

HTH

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 7/16/2021 7:02:28 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 5
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/16/2021 9:18:58 PM   
ezzler

STEPHEN W. SEARS is the author of many award-winning books on the Civil War, including Gettysburg and Landscape Turned Red.
I liked to the gates of Richmond best.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/17/2021 12:11:20 AM   
Rosseau

I was going to recommend "Landscape Turned Red," but someone beat me to it! It has lots of maps, and even the paperback version is serviceable.

(I read that book in the mid-1980s, and then played SSI's Battle of Antietam on the C64, and that really fueled my interest in wargames. Sadly, no ACW game since then quite did it for me as BoA did back in the day.)

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 7
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/18/2021 12:27:30 AM   
RFalvo69

For the western Front 1940, "To Lose a Battle" by Alistair Horne (still the best IMHO, even if "The Blitzkrieg Legend" is based on more modern sources) and "Strange Defeat" by Marc Bloch, written under the Nazi occupation, just before the author was sadly killed by the Germans while he was working for the French resistance.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 8
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/18/2021 2:26:08 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The Blitzkrieg Legend

+1
quote:

To Lose a Battle

+1

The Center for Military History: Utah Beach to Cherbourg, and Omaha Beachhead.
Decision in Normandy, Carlo DEste [especially good if you are not a fan of Montgomery]
Crusade in Europe, by Ike, although kind of blah and politically correct.
Patton at Bay, John Rickard.
Pendulum of Battle, Christoper Dunphie.
Decision at Strasbourg, David Colley.
Crossing the Rhine, Lloyd Clark.
First to the Rhine, Yeide and Stout. If you agree that Patton was overrated, get this one.
The Lorraine Campaign, Hugh Cole.If you are serious, so is this book.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 9
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/18/2021 4:35:53 AM   
Aurelian

Gordon C Rhea has a 5 volume set on Grant's Overland Campaign.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/18/2021 8:47:47 PM   
matt3916

I think Rhea's works are definitely worth reading.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 11
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/19/2021 8:16:36 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldSarge

Two good books on D-Day operations for the Americans would be Joseph Balkoski's books:
Omaha Beach
Utah Beach

He also wrote a five volume series on the history of the 29th US Infantry Division. I've only read Beyond the Beachhead: The 29th Infantry Division in Normandy

The 29th is known as the Blue and Grey division because it is composed of National Guard units that can trace regimental histories to both Union and Confederate units.

HTH

Fully agree!

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW... - 7/31/2021 6:17:49 PM   
Sieben

I'm reading an educational series of books by Jeffrey W. Hunt entitled "Lee and Meade after Gettysburg". Three books have been published with a fourth to come. They cover the period between when Lee retreated into Virginia after Gettysburg, and the end of the season's campaigning. The period is slighted by most histories because there were no major battles, but the armies were in constant motion, probing, feinting, maneuvering for an advantage. The author goes into the details of those movements, but keeps track of the logistics as well. There is a lot of cavalry fighting and a great overview of what Civil War armies actually did when they weren't fighting huge battles.

I just finished the second volume, which includes the battle at Bristoe Station, the only large infantry fight during the period covered. If you really like Civil War history, I think you'll be fascinated by the military chess match between the generals. Their relationships with their governments is also dealt with. A final volume covering the Mine Run campaign is forthcoming.

I support the Averasboro Battlefield Commission
Preserving the Past for the Future

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Heavier Military/Operations Focused Histories - ACW and WW2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI