Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 2 changes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 changes - 7/18/2021 10:16:24 PM   
admiralT

1) In several books about the Stalingrad campaign their maps show several small lakes south of Stalingrad. They talk how the soviets used them to anchor their defenses.

2) I heard that originally in the sovet/german nonagression pact the germans were to get Lithuania but the soviets wanted a larger piece of Poland. When germans said no and instead gave the soviets Lithuania. Army Group North starting in Lithuania sound interesting
Post #: 1
RE: 2 changes - 7/19/2021 5:28:47 AM   
jsqdcsq

About 1: Yes, and you can see them in maps of stalingrad wargames with smaller hex-scale. But I think these lakes are just too small to make a WITE2 hex impassable.

Proletariat of the world, unite!

(in reply to admiralT)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 changes - 7/19/2021 1:39:31 PM   
admiralT

How about making 2 hexes in that area swamp hexes?

(in reply to jsqdcsq)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 changes - 7/19/2021 1:50:06 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: admiralT

How about making 2 hexes in that area swamp hexes?

presume you mean this area:

this is a Soviet 1941 map, you can get from http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/eastern_europe/txu-oclc-6519747-nm38-11.jpg

Number of small changes, you *could* make?

a) extend the canal by one more hexside, after that its prob too narrow to appear at the game scale (map is 1:100,000).
b) the hex SE of Krasnoarmeisk could be a swamp but the swampy area is a relatively small part of the hex area

I've read the same as you but I think looking at it the lakes aren't operational barriers more tactical. So in a defensive/fixed line set up very useful but no operational barrier if the Germans had committed to the south of Stalingrad?

(in reply to admiralT)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 changes - 7/21/2021 9:02:10 PM   
Hardradi

There is an account of the German battles in this area in August 1942 in the Jason D Mark book Death of the Leaping Horsemen. They are called salt lakes. Reedy banks, thin salt crust with muddy quagmire underneath. Impassable to Panzers. The land to the east is deadpan flat. Just to the west running north-south is a balka like plateau.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 changes - 7/24/2021 4:45:42 PM   
potski

There are roads shown on the map. So not easy to pass if you can't stray far off the roads, but not impassable.

Change the terrain to swamp in one or more hex rather than clear?

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Scenario Design and Modding >> 2 changes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI