Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Annoying posting habits...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Annoying posting habits... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Annoying posting habits... - 7/14/2001 9:26:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Seems that our little haven form the Trolls and flamers has been taking a few shots lately. We offer the Art of Wargaming forum for "anything goes" discussion, but I am getting fed up with trolling and personal attacks on the game forums. CUT IT OUT! THink what you want, email them privately, but we don't care what you think about the personality of other posters. If you have complaint about someones language or use of terms.. SEND ME A PRIVATE EMAIL OR MESSAGE. Handle these things OFFLINE and privately. That is why I am Admin to handle such things. This board has an enviable reputation for unbridled, but respectful discussion. PLEASE help me keep it that way. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 1
- 7/14/2001 9:33:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

Thank you, Paul. I began to think the forum had changed it's focus. I'm happy to see Matrix Admin stepping up!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 7/14/2001 9:46:00 PM   
gators

Hear, hear! what about my gebirgjager?

"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer

Post #: 3
- 7/14/2001 9:50:00 PM   
Panzer Capta

This Forum has a reputation for being friendly and a wonderful source of gaming knowledge, general historical knowledge and resources. Difference of opinion is simply human nature but should be handled in a tactful way. Constructive critisms is wonderful....we learn from that. Personal critism, however, is another matter entirely and should be handled in private.

Post #: 4
- 7/14/2001 10:09:00 PM   
parusski

Paul is correct. Not only should flamers go elsewhere, we should not respond to them. I myself was responding to our most recent antagonist. Let's just stick to the issues of WAW. Thanks Paul.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 5
- 7/14/2001 10:14:00 PM   
Warrior

I've been guilty a time or two and shall attempt to restrain myself in the future (though it is often very difficult). Thanks for the reminder, Paul. I do have one question, though: What is "troll" or "trolling."

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 6
- 7/14/2001 10:26:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmmm I havent yet seen anything wrong with Matrix forums, maybe I should count myself lucky. I have only been on Art Of Wargming a bit and only recently. But its my vote that we shouldnt specifically make a place here on Matrix Forums for those that will vent rant and behave poorly. Being a parent I know the value of not spoiling a child. Over indulgence breeds the problem. I would not miss it if ART of Wargaming was removed if it has attracted to many people that cant respect civil behaviour. Unbridled unwanted ill stated unfriendly opinions should not be given a blank cheque to write on. Freedom of speech is not permission to ignore behaviour that would get you a smack in the back of the head from your mother. Hmmm used that Freedom of speech phrase, I just know someone is going to rant now.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 7
- 7/14/2001 11:02:00 PM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Freedom of speech is not permission to ignore behaviour that would get you a smack in the back of the head from your mother.
Bravo! That sounds like a good sig line, too! Mind if I borrow it on other forums?

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

Post #: 8
- 7/15/2001 12:00:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Just like Big Brother, we patrol this site and watch. For that reason I have had to shut down two topics this week. You have every right to disagree. That is what a forum is for..to present your point of view and then defend it. But personal attacks, "ad hominem" arguments and uncouth digs will not be allowed. If I catch you, I will shut you down. :eek: Keep the arguments civil and gentlemanly. Save the fighting for the game. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 9
- 7/15/2001 12:22:00 AM   
steel

Thank you, Paul. steel :D

Post #: 10
- 7/15/2001 1:29:00 AM   
parusski

Bravo Wild Bill. Keep up the good work.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 11
- 7/15/2001 1:56:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Panzer Captain: This Forum has a reputation for being friendly and a wonderful source of gaming knowledge, general historical knowledge and resources. Difference of opinion is simply human nature but should be handled in a tactful way. Constructive critisms is wonderful....we learn from that. Personal critism, however, is another matter entirely and should be handled in private.
Well put. Besides the books I've read on the subject, I'm sure I've learned enough from this forum, and in the 4 years I've been playing SP to hold my own in a discussion with someone who holds a history degree in WW2 era weapons. If you evaluated all the messages posted here, the diamonds outnumber the lumps of coal by a wide margin. Although this board is moderated, the character and quality of the community here almost makes it unnecessary...though I'm sure WB, Paul and David could 'tell us some good stories'. ;)

Jim NSB

Post #: 12
- 7/15/2001 2:09:00 AM   
Wild Bill

The best forum site I've ever been on..creme de la creme, right here. Can't beat it. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 13
- 7/15/2001 2:32:00 AM   
Bing

Said it before, will say it again: Compared to other forums I've been on the people here seem to be actually normal. Some of that can be attributed to moderator control, but I think for the most part stepping in hasn't been necessary. I agree that ignoring real flame postings is the first good idea on the topic, the other is as Paul has pointed out that the flamer be removed, talked to in private, and if really necessary barred from the board. That's an extreme step, but we found it was necessary on the old Gary Grigsby Pacific War mailing list. Not frequently, but it did happen a time or two over a couple of years. I have enjoyed the level of discussion and the friendly and prompt help on this forum, in those terms it is the best I've encountered since starting computer wargaming. I quit more than one forum because of what Paul and David and Bill have mentioned. Thanks all for a great board. I mean it. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 14
- 7/15/2001 7:37:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Seems that our little haven form the Trolls and flamers has been taking a few shots lately. We offer the Art of Wargaming forum for "anything goes" discussion, but I am getting fed up with trolling and personal attacks on the game forums. CUT IT OUT! THink what you want, email them privately, but we don't care what you think about the personality of other posters. If you have complaint about someones language or use of terms.. SEND ME A PRIVATE EMAIL OR MESSAGE. Handle these things OFFLINE and privately. That is why I am Admin to handle such things. This board has an enviable reputation for unbridled, but respectful discussion. PLEASE help me keep it that way. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]
--------------------------------------------- Point well taken.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

Post #: 15
- 7/15/2001 8:37:00 PM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Originally posted by Warrior: [QB]What is "troll" or "trolling."
Since no one has gotten around to answering you yet: A troll is someone who makes provacative statements simply for the sake of stirring up trouble.

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

Post #: 16
- 7/16/2001 1:14:00 AM   
degen

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Seems that our little haven form the Trolls and flamers has been taking a few shots lately. We offer the Art of Wargaming forum for "anything goes" discussion, but I am getting fed up with trolling and personal attacks on the game forums. CUT IT OUT! THink what you want, email them privately, but we don't care what you think about the personality of other posters. If you have complaint about someones language or use of terms.. SEND ME A PRIVATE EMAIL OR MESSAGE. Handle these things OFFLINE and privately. That is why I am Admin to handle such things. This board has an enviable reputation for unbridled, but respectful discussion. PLEASE help me keep it that way. [ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]
Thanks Paul. A reminder to all of the "unwritten" rules of this forum is always helpful. Although I do not post alot, I do read the forum almost daily. I find the information and discussions on this forum very interesting and helpful, but above all, I appreciate the respect that the participants show to each other.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

Post #: 17
- 7/16/2001 5:39:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

quote:

Originally posted by Bing: Said it before, will say it again: Compared to other forums I've been on the people here seem to be actually normal. Some of that can be attributed to moderator control, but I think for the most part stepping in hasn't been necessary. I agree that ignoring real flame postings is the first good idea on the topic, the other is as Paul has pointed out that the flamer be removed, talked to in private, and if really necessary barred from the board. That's an extreme step, but we found it was necessary on the old Gary Grigsby Pacific War mailing list. Not frequently, but it did happen a time or two over a couple of years. I have enjoyed the level of discussion and the friendly and prompt help on this forum, in those terms it is the best I've encountered since starting computer wargaming. I quit more than one forum because of what Paul and David and Bill have mentioned. Thanks all for a great board. I mean it. Bing
Dont think I can add any more to that...Agree 100%. Warm regards to everyone associated with our community. Gen. Maczek [ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]

Post #: 18
- 7/17/2001 12:12:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I think trolling comes from the fishing term. You cast your line in and drag it around to see if anything bites it. You make a provocative post and see if anyone bites.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 19
- 7/17/2001 2:16:00 AM   
Supervisor

Matrix has a very good set-up for gaming discussions. The better forums are set up this way; that is with a separate "free" forum where control is a little "looser" so to speak. Regarding trollers, a good way I have found to see if they are really trolling is to respond in a non-provocative way & with facts to dispute what they're saying. Therefore, I think Paul had good reason for deleted those threads. I've never had a problem with the moderation here. Forums that attract a good audience usually require little if any moderation, so I think we have it pretty good here. I know of another "wargaming" forum that has basically become useless due to poor moderation & a strange, erratic & somewhat pathetic group of posters.

Post #: 20
- 7/17/2001 3:09:00 AM   
Grumble

Paul, Timely and cogent as always. ("ad hominem" and "cogent". $3 words for an operator :) ) My 2pf, Let's face it: there ARE some posters, who for whatever reason just become annoying. I've found the best answer to be, grit your teeth and answer the question to the best of your ability. I know some folks here REALLY do some research to answer questions. A simple "thank you" for the answer, whether it's the one you wanted or not, goes a long way.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 21
- 7/17/2001 8:10:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hey be blunt, do my posts look like "Trolling"? no one has said so yet, and I have even had some say they like my posts. But I am an aries, its in my nature to be fairly opinionated. Just concerned I might be seen as a troller. And I dont want to be.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Annoying posting habits... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI