Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do these things mean???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do these things mean??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do these ... - 3/9/2007 2:34:55 PM   
JSS

LESSON #1 The Basics

Part 1. What the #$%^ do these things mean?

To follow along you'll need to download the Battlefront Tutorial Scenario from the SSG Scenario Download area. Lesson #1 simply requires you to open the tutorial scenario. Subsequent Lessons will have save game files posted for use.

Let's start by looking at the two main unit displays. These are two basic examples. Examples of units will more capabilities (i.e. more stuff to explain) will be provided as a reference in a subsequent post.

Right click pop up on hex (21, 62)...

Next click on the unit icon to select the stack in hex (21, 62)...

Post #: 1
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 12:27:48 AM   
goodwoodrw

Where's the Tutorial file? I can't find it at the SSG sight

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 2
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 12:55:39 AM   
goodwoodrw

found it, but another issue is how do you get the battlefront page to display all its full page without having to change my screen resolution?

< Message edited by BASB -- 3/10/2007 1:10:39 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 3
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 1:07:00 AM   
JSS

Check out this link if you can't view all the SSG options:

http://ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3386

< Message edited by JSS -- 3/10/2007 2:28:45 AM >

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 4
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 3:10:48 AM   
JameyCribbs

JSS, thank you for this work that you are doing.  I am going to print off a copy of what you have even done so far and just keep it next to me while I play.  It will already help tremendously.

This is the kind of stuff that would be so helpful if it was a tooltip.  If you hovered your mouse over a section of the interface, like the examples that JSS has boxed in, and a tooltip with JSS's explanations showed up, it would ease play so much.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 5
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 4:04:21 AM   
Wilhammer

quote:

This is the kind of stuff that would be so helpful if it was a tooltip. If you hovered your mouse over a section of the interface, like the examples that JSS has boxed in, and a tooltip with JSS's explanations showed up, it would ease play so much.

Amen, brother.

This will do in a pinch though - lets hope they put in an updated PDF download of the manual.

(in reply to JameyCribbs)
Post #: 6
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 1:42:27 PM   
JSS

Let's take a look at an elite quality tank unit.  

--  Note how equipment type shows a heavy tank image and the movement type shows a tracked vehicle.  Equipment type is a visual for the player; movement type affects movement costs based on the game's terrain values.  

--  Also note in the replacement circle note that there is a tank symbol now (instead of a soldier).  There are only these two types of regular replacements possible in the game.

(in reply to Wilhammer)
Post #: 7
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 1:44:59 PM   
JSS

Next let's do a 2-for-1... Engineer unit loaded into amphibious transport mode:

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 8
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 10:02:28 PM   
Johnus

How does I die with a 3 shown indicate a 67% chance (direct fire) ??

Later a 5 on a die indicates a 33% chance ??

I'm lost.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 9
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/10/2007 10:22:23 PM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

How does I die with a 3 shown indicate a 67% chance (direct fire) ??

Later a 5 on a die indicates a 33% chance ??

I'm lost.

3 die means result of 3 or higher is good (causes step loss). So 3, 4, 5, or 6 results are hits. Only 1 or 2 die miss... 4 of 6 possible results are hits for 67%.

5 die means 5 or higher is good. So 5 or 6 results are hits. 1-4 die are misses; 2 of 6 possible results are hits for 33%.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 10
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 2:17:12 AM   
Johnus

Thank you.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 11
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 3:03:05 AM   
Toby42

How come when you use the indirect fire advisor you get a white die, 3 for example. You fire at the hex and the result shows a red die and a green die? What do these results mean? Sometimes the red die will have a result higher than the number required for a hit and the green die will be lower. The result is no hit!!!

Tony

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 12
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 5:03:08 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

How come when you use the indirect fire advisor you get a white die, 3 for example. You fire at the hex and the result shows a red die and a green die? What do these results mean? Sometimes the red die will have a result higher than the number required for a hit and the green die will be lower. The result is no hit!!!

For indirect fire (artillery or naval gunfire) you have a 2 dice requirement because a unit in the target hex is dug in. The artillery advisor and the game's targeting process tells you this before you fire. To get a successful barrage (i.e. a hit) you must get both dice at or above the number displayed by the artillery advisor. Each die result is color coded: green is a hit and red is a miss. You will see the number on the red die as lower than what the artillery advisor showed you as the requirement to hit.

< Message edited by JSS -- 3/11/2007 5:19:19 AM >

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 13
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 2:37:14 PM   
alexs

Terrific tutorial JSS. Also, I have found and fixed the error on our main page where scrollbars were not appearing on the left hand list in low monitor resolutions.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 14
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 4:47:55 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexs

Terrific tutorial JSS. Also, I have found and fixed the error on our main page where scrollbars were not appearing on the left hand list in low monitor resolutions.

Alex, now all that I get is the three banner's at the top of the page????

Tony

(in reply to alexs)
Post #: 15
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 4:51:21 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: JSS

quote:

How come when you use the indirect fire advisor you get a white die, 3 for example. You fire at the hex and the result shows a red die and a green die? What do these results mean? Sometimes the red die will have a result higher than the number required for a hit and the green die will be lower. The result is no hit!!!

For indirect fire (artillery or naval gunfire) you have a 2 dice requirement because a unit in the target hex is dug in. The artillery advisor and the game's targeting process tells you this before you fire. To get a successful barrage (i.e. a hit) you must get both dice at or above the number displayed by the artillery advisor. Each die result is color coded: green is a hit and red is a miss. You will see the number on the red die as lower than what the artillery advisor showed you as the requirement to hit.

Well, color me stupid. I'm really confused now! The advisor shows one die and two die are rolled?

Tony

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 16
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 5:17:28 PM   
JSS

quote:

Well, color me stupid. I'm really confused now! The advisor shows one die and two die are rolled?

No, the advisor shows two dice when that will be what happens. Below are some examples from the Gazala AAR on the SSG forums:

Here's an example of what the artillery advisor shows:

Here's an example of targeting before firing barrage at a dug in target hex.

Here's what a hit (successful barrage) looks like:

Here's what a miss looks like:

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 17
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/11/2007 6:02:38 PM   
Toby42

Ah!!! Now I see... Thanks for your patience.

Tony

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 18
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/12/2007 1:46:55 PM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexs

Fixed? I still can't scroll down or see all the left hand menu

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to alexs)
Post #: 19
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/13/2007 3:38:09 AM   
Duck Doc

JSS,

Thanks ever so much. All this is very helpful!!!

Can you be a little more specific about what the "attack shift values for HQ's" mean & how they work, please?

Thanks.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 20
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 3/14/2007 10:41:34 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

JSS,

Thanks ever so much. All this is very helpful!!!

Can you be a little more specific about what the "attack shift values for HQ's" mean & how they work, please?

Thanks.

Here's an example. When conducting a close combat attack, the HQ bonus attack shift value is added directly to the combat odds. In the example below there's no HQ bonus but if there were, it would be added in the same way as an elite quality unit adding +1 to the odds.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 21
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 5/5/2007 1:08:35 AM   
Stromb

Thanx to whoever has made those annotated images !!

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 22
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 5/24/2007 6:08:53 PM   
PDiFolco

Yep very useful, they should have been in the manual in the first place ...

(in reply to Stromb)
Post #: 23
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 6/14/2012 9:30:57 PM   
Rosseau

Five years later I go back to BF. These tutorials are great!

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 24
RE: Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do th... - 7/25/2021 5:16:34 PM   
sol_invictus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Five years later I go back to BF. These tutorials are great!

HAA! Try fourteen years later!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront Tutorial Lesson #1 What the #$%^ do these things mean??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI