Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Olympics. Sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Olympics. Sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Olympics. Sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/26/2021 6:12:42 AM   
warspite1

Tokyo 2020...er 21

Strange old games with so few fans allowed to watch. But at least the organisers made what I think is the right decision and allowed the games to take place.

The highlight of the opening ceremony were the 1,824 drones that created a globe in the sky - very impressive.

https://hypebeast.com/2021/7/drone-show-tokyo-olympics-opening-ceremony

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/1/2021 5:29:18 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/26/2021 6:14:35 AM   
warspite1

TEAM GB and Northern Ireland

Day 1 and Day 2

From a performance perspective the games have started less than spectacularly for Team GB. Sadly Jade Jones failed in her bid for a third successive Taekwondo Gold, losing in the first round...

Medal count after 2 days = 0 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze

Silver - Bradly Sinden (Taekwondo - 68Kg)
Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Judo - 52kg)

Getting close to the Rio haul looks to be a tall order already. It's clear already there will be no huge medal hauls in the rowing for example....

Bradly Looked to have it won with seconds to go, but his young Uzbeki competitor snatched away the gold right at the end.

Superb attempt from the Coventry girl, only beaten by the ultimate gold medal winner from Japan.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/26/2021 6:18:21 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/26/2021 8:59:25 AM   
Neilster

Solid start from Australia. And how are our friends from across the Tasman going? Oh dear...

Attachment (2)

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/26/2021 1:05:00 PM   
Zap

Japan is making a good showing.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 4
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/26/2021 3:33:39 PM   
warspite1

Day 3

A mixed - but largely good day for the team - and agonisingly close to being a stonking day (in Team GB terms)

Poor Adam Burgess (Canoe Slalom) joined Max Litchfield (Swimnming) from the day before and came 4th, just missing out on a medal, while Team GB were seconds away - again - from a gold in Taekwondo.

Medal count after 3 days = 3 Gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Men's Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Men's 10m Diving)
Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg)
Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg)

Adam Peatty (thankfully this moustache is now gone - truly a man that owns the 100m Breastroke - 15 fastest times ever and now a second gold Olympic medal)

Tom Pidcock - broke his collar bone in five places in April.... and then won Britain's first medal of any colour in the mountain bikes

Tom Daley (4th Olympics) and Matty Lee (1st Olympics) pick up a gold in the diving - incredible stuff, their last dive was spot on - and a good job too as the Chinese only really mucked up one dive and were breathing down their neck.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/26/2021 4:03:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/27/2021 12:20:26 PM   
gekkoguy35

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Adam Peatty (thankfully this moustache is now gone.....

aww dang. What's wrong with the moustache?? haha.

I've seen worse!

< Message edited by gekkoguy35 -- 7/27/2021 12:21:00 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/27/2021 4:23:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy35

quote:

I've seen worse!
warspite1

It looked even worse in the pool!.... but hey, his girlfriend said she liked it so.....

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 7
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/27/2021 4:24:33 PM   
warspite1

Day 4

Another decent day for the British team, but once again they came agonisingly close to it being so much better. The swimming team equalled its three medals from 2012 - but this time it's 2 gold and 1 silver and we had two medallists on a podium for the first time since 1908.

Perhaps some dubious referring, but also some unfortunate tactics saw poor Bianca Walkden missing out on the gold medal match in the final second.... A great silver for Georgia Taylor-Brown in the triathlon, but could it have been gold without here tyre getting a puncture?

After the swimmers the biggest shout of the day goes to Team GB's young gymnasts, who were 7th at one stage, but picked up a bronze - the first time in almost 100 years. Sadly Simone Biles pulled out of the competition for Team USA - hope she's okay and back to fitness soon. Oh and the dancing horses picked up a bronze

Medal count after 4 days = 4 Gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Men's Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Men's 10m Diving), Tom Dean (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle)
Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Duncan Scott (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Georgia Taylor-Brown (Womens Triathlon)
Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg), Bianca Walkden (Women's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Dujardin, Fry, Hester (Equestrian Team Dressage), Morgan, Kinsella, Gadirova Sisters (Women's Team Gymnastics)

Well here's something we haven't seen since 1908. Two British swimmers on the same podium.

Well here's something we haven't seen since 1928 - a British women's gymnastics team on the podium

Would it have been gold without the puncture?

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/28/2021 4:25:15 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/27/2021 5:14:06 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've seen worse!
warspite1

It looked even worse in the pool!.... but hey, his girlfriend said she liked it so.....

I think that her opinion counts more than yours does.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/27/2021 7:47:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've seen worse!
warspite1

I think that her opinion counts more than yours does.
warspite1

You may well be right...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 3:03:44 AM   
Zap

Again, the Japanese are really making an impressive showing, 11 golds so far!. Have they historically been this good in the Summer Olympics?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 4:41:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Again, the Japanese are really making an impressive showing, 11 golds so far!. Have they historically been this good in the Summer Olympics?
warspite1

The Japanese are at home and so I don’t think what they are doing is that surprising - particularly as they have been quite strong medal winners in recent games. Their best showing in terms of gold was in Tokyo (1964) and Athens (2004) with 16. Their best showing in terms of medals has been Rio (2016) and London (2012) with 41 and 38 respectively.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 12
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 5:08:35 AM   
Neilster

Looking at the top five on the gold medal count (silver is first loser ) and ranking on medals per capita (gold medals per million population)...

Australia 0.23
Japan 0.09
ROC 0.05
USA 0.03
China 0.01

I believe by that metric, the current leaders are Bermuda, Kosovo, Estonia, Slovenia and Croatia

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 5:11:16 AM   
Neilster

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The Japanese are at home and so I don’t think what they are doing is that surprising - particularly as they have been quite strong medal winners in recent games. Their best showing in terms of gold was in Tokyo (1964) and Athens (2004) with 16. Their best showing in terms of medals has been Rio (2016) and London (2012) with 41 and 38 respectively.

The home team usually gets a boost from the crowds, but that's not a factor here. I believe, however, they do get to pick some events to be included, and usually go for ones in which they are strong.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 6:38:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The home team usually gets a boost from the crowds, but that's not a factor here. I believe, however, they do get to pick some events to be included, and usually go for ones in which they are strong.

warspite1

While I think its a fair point about the lack of an audience, I don't believe home advantage can be easily dismissed. The games are still taking place in Japan, in a 'home' environment. Already, with less than 5 days gone, they are only one behind their gold medal tally in Rio - remember 16 is their best and they've already won 11! They have already won half the total number of medals won at Rio - and that was their best medal showing.

As for choosing sports, the host nation get to choose a limited number of events - I think five were chosen by Japan. But these events still need to be agreed by the IOC and have to meet the usual criteria - i.e. they can't be allowed in just because Japan is good at them (I suspect Sumo wrestling would be a new sport if that was the case ). As far as I know, only one sport, that is new to this Olympics, has been held so far - and Japan have won a gold and bronze - so without those Japan's showing is still way, way above where they have been before at this stage.

The Olympics have to be kept to a reasonable number of events. I don't know what was ditched for the new events, but I suppose its always possible a host nation could lose something they have medal chances at too.

But as said, we'll see at the end of the games how Japan fare compared to previous Olympics and how they've performed at their home Olympics compared to other recent home nations (and there are plenty of stats on that).

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/28/2021 6:52:10 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 15
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 10:58:37 AM   
RangerJoe

Also remember that being the home team, their members do not have to travel and then get used to the new time as well as messing up their training.

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 2:29:47 PM   
rico21

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 2:51:21 PM   
warspite1

Day 5

Sadly for Team GB the medal count continues to fall after the impossible high of Monday. There were a number of medal hopeful blow ups (not least in the Diving) as well as agonising near misses too. The dreaded 4th in Swimming, Rugby Sevens and Rowing.... Rowing just isn't the guaranteed medal magnet its been recently and Team GB blew it in a few finals - none worse that the Men's Four, an event we've won gold in for six games running. with a medal likely, one of the rowers forgot he was also supposed to be steering the boat....

But swimming is on the up it seems. We won 6 medals in Rio - double that in London (0 gold) - but only 1 was gold. We've won 4 so far in Tokyo, and 3 are gold and 1 is silver. Considering we won 7 gold in total after the home Olympics in 1908 to the home Olympics in 2012, this is uncharted territory for Team GB.

But biggest shout of the day? Two boys who didn't get close to a medal, but who finished in the top 10 in the all round men's gymnastics. Given where Team GB were in the gymnastics arena when I was a kid, this is a magnificent performance. Big cheer for James Hall (8th) and Joe Fraser (9th) .

Congratulations too to Charlotte Dujardin on becoming the most decorated Team GB female athlete (in terms of nos. of medals) - 2 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronze.

Medal count after 5 days = 5 Gold, 6 silver and 5 bronze

Team GB fall to 6th in the medal table.

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Men's Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Men's 10m Diving), Tom Dean (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Dean, Scott, Guy, Richards (Swimming 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay)
Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Duncan Scott (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Georgia Taylor-Brown (Womens Triathlon), Leask, Groom, Barras, Beaumont (Rowing Men's Qudruple Sculls)
Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg), Bianca Walkden (Women's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Dujardin, Fry, Hester (Equestrian Team Dressage), Morgan, Kinsella, Gadirova Sisters (Women's Team Gymnastics), Charlotte Dujardin (Equestrian Individual Dressage)

It's not just about medals. Well done Joe and James - very proud of you. Britain and Gymnastics used to go together like Roast Chicken and Curry Sauce, but not anymore.

Charlotte Dujardin and Gio, the dancing horse. No medal ever at Dressage until Charlotte and co. did the biz in 2012. Now its a medal for the third games running.

Well here's a site we haven't seen since..... forever. First ever medal in the Quadruple Sculls. Well done Messrs Beaumont, Barras, Groom and Leask.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/28/2021 4:25:54 PM >

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 18
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 11:06:43 PM   
IslandInland

Anything that is measured in marks out of ten or a subjective evaluation isn't a sport IMO.

War In The East 2 Beta Tester and
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
XXXCorps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/28/2021 11:17:40 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who was quoting someone else.

Eric Moussambani Malonga is proof of that and what he did after is also important.

― Julia Child

(in reply to IslandInland)
Post #: 20
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/29/2021 12:11:02 AM   
IslandInland

"Corinthian spirit" English public school BS. Taking part is the thing etc.

We have a medals table for a reason.

Winning is the thing.

XXXCorps

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/29/2021 12:19:21 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

"Corinthian spirit" English public school BS. Taking part is the thing etc.

We have a medals table for a reason.

Winning is the thing.

That is the man who brought about the modern Olympics, are you stating that the reason for the games is wrong? Yes there are medals but getting there is also important. The people that the athletes meet there are also important. As a James Cameron Owen said "All the medals and cups I won could be melted down, and they would be worthless against the twenty-four carat friendship I made with Luz Long at that time."

― Julia Child

Post #: 22
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/29/2021 3:42:46 PM   
warspite1

Day 6

A lean day today for Team GB - more like the Olympics I was used to back in the 70s, 80's and 90's and the less than fun days of Team GB, pre-lottery, consisting largely of a bunch of plucky but gifted/hopeful/mad amateurs (not helped by the likes of the East Germans fielding men in the men's and women's swimming races......). .

Back to the present, and no gold's today, but both medallists were considered gold contenders. These lack of gold medals are really hurting in Team GB's efforts to stay in the Top 10 of the leaderboard - not that top 10 was where we were even aiming. Top 4/5 was the goal I believe.

Almost, and in some ways just as, bad is the number of near misses. With one day left the rowing continues to be a total disaster; Helen Glover/Polly Swann (Women's Coxless Pair) and Emily Craig/Imogen Grant (Women's lightweight double sculls) added their names to a horrible statistic - the later by just 0.01 of a second). Team GB now has no less than FIVE 4th places in the rowing alone. With just 1 silver medal to show, this is a far cry from recent games. But speaking of rowing, well done to Fintan McCarthy and Paul O'Donovan for not only winning Ireland's first medal in the sport, but it happened to be gold!

What was great about recent games was the number of medals picked up across the board - meaning that there was more spread in Team GB than most, if not all, other countries. But this is not happening in Tokyo. Our last hopes have blown out in the Archery and Badminton today. More fallers in Judo and Boxing too (although we still have a couple of hopes in Boxing). Even two of our three success stories, Dressage and Taekwondo, have come with diluted medals - 0 gold in Taekwondo and only 2 bronze in Dressage. Unless we can add to our tally, even Swimming - where we've had unheard of gold success - has come at the expense of total numbers of medals won when compared to Rio.

My memory is also failing me in my frail dotage. I extolled the efforts of Messrs Fraser and Hall in the gymnastics yesterday, but somehow managed to forget that Team GB won SIX medals in gymnastics in Rio - including 1 in the men's all-round competition..... There won't be 6 this time

I think its clear that this will be no Rio, London or Beijing, but frankly at present we are struggling to match Athens or Sydney.....

Medal count after 6 days = 5 Gold, 7 silver and 6 bronze

Team GB remain in 6th in the medal table but continue to lose ground on those above.

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Men's Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Men's 10m Diving), Tom Dean (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Dean, Scott, Guy, Richards (Swimming 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay)
Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Duncan Scott (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Georgia Taylor-Brown (Womens Triathlon), Leask, Groom, Barras, Beaumont (Rowing Men's Qudruple Sculls), Mallory Franklin (Canoe Women's Slalom)
Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg), Bianca Walkden (Women's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Dujardin, Fry, Hester (Equestrian Team Dressage), Morgan, Kinsella, Gadirova Sisters (Women's Team Gymnastics), Charlotte Dujardin (Equestrian Individual Dressage), Matthew Coward-Holley (Shooting Men's Trap)

In the Canoe Slalom, Mallory Franklin was just pipped to the gold by the very last competitor to go. Agonising.....

Well recovered by Matthew Coward-Holley, who looked to be in real trouble in round 2 of the Trap final

No fairy tale ending for Helen Glover. The twice Olympic champion, went away after Rio, had three children and then came back. But sadly, alongside Polly Swann, she could only muster 4th place...

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/29/2021 4:38:18 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/30/2021 2:17:52 AM   
RangerJoe

Well, in the womens all around in the gymnastics, apparently a young lady who trained in Little Canada Land won the gold medal . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/30/2021 2:56:41 PM   
warspite1

Day 7

Another mixed bag today. Where would we be without another Rowing 4th Place? Well Vicky Thornley provided one in the Women's Single Sculls... Team GB ended the Rowing with 1 silver and 1 gold, the first time there has been no gold since 1980! There will be questions over the £27m spent.....

But on a brighter note, Team GB has equalled their medal tally from Rio in the swimming and the colour of the medals is better overall - 3G, 2S, 1B vs 1G, 5S, 0B. Luke Greenbank won Britain's first ever medal in the 200m Backstroke. There was some shenanigans in the post race press conference when the US runner-up effectively accused the Russian winner of not being clean... though he denied he was making that allegation.

When BMX Racing was introduced back in Beijing (anyone watched this? - it's mad, exciting and bloody dangerous!!) Team GB had two of the best in the world. But despite this, four Olympics later and still Team GB had won not a single medal. But today.....that all changed with a gold and silver. Nice.

Speaking of mad and dangerous, the height that they get on the trampoline is insane... and that's before they starting piking and tumbling and whatnot. Well done to Bryony Page on her second successive Olympic medal in that event.

And a special mention I think is deserved for the Team GB Women's Football team. I'm British, proud to be British and love football. But I am sooo pleased that Team GB lost to Australia in the quarter-final. They were truly pathetic. 2 minutes to go and with a 2-1 lead, they just need to see out the match. What happened? Well British footballers played like British footballers. What do you do if an Australian has the ball in the penalty area and you are one of THREE English defenders in front of her? Yes that's right, you don't try and block, you don't try and narrow the angle... you just stand there and wait for the ball to hit the back of the net. Absolutely pitiful, schoolgirl defending. And why, one might ask, did they allow a Scottish player to take our penalty? Everyone knows the English take them so much better

Medal count after 7 days = 6 Gold, 9 silver and 9 bronze

Team GB remain in 6th in the medal table. The gold medal count is costing them. They have more medals than Australia and almost as many as Japan, but they are largely the wrong colour.

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Mens Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Mens 10m Diving), Tom Dean (Swimming Mens 200m Freestyle), Dean, Scott, Guy, Richards (Swimming Mens 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay), Bethany Shriever (Cycling Womens BMX Racing)

Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Duncan Scott (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Georgia Taylor-Brown (Womens Triathlon), Leask, Groom, Barras, Beaumont (Rowing Men's Qudruple Sculls), Mallory Franklin (Canoe Women's Slalom), Kye Whyte (Cycling Mens BMX Racing), Duncan Scott (Swimming Mens 400m Medley)

Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg), Bianca Walkden (Women's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Dujardin, Fry, Hester (Equestrian Team Dressage), Morgan, Kinsella, Gadirova Sisters (Women's Team Gymnastics), Charlotte Dujardin (Equestrian Individual Dressage), Matthew Coward-Holley (Shooting Men's Trap), Bryony Page (Womens Trampoline), Luke Greenbank (Swimming Men's 200m Backstroke), Bugajski, Dawson, George, Sbihi, Elwes, Wynne-Griffith, Rudkin, Ford (Rowing Mens Eight)

Well done Bryony! Adding to the Trampolining silver she won in Rio, she takes home the bronze this time. I still can't get over the heights they reach...mad!

BMX is equally as mad as the Trampoline. Some really nasty crashes today, one of which wiped out the defending champion from the USA and so was unable to take his place in the final. Ms Shriever won all three races in the semi and then bossed the final.

Duncan Scott. Top man. Refused to share a podium with a Chinese drug cheat a few years ago (and who is banned from these games) and has today picked up his third medal of these games. That's pretty special for a British swimmer.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/30/2021 3:45:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/30/2021 11:05:39 PM   
IslandInland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKOftmWGGXk

XXXCorps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/30/2021 11:30:55 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKOftmWGGXk

I don't recall seeing that movie but the book is funny and so is the sequel.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 7/30/2021 11:33:09 PM >

― Julia Child

Post #: 27
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/31/2021 3:12:58 PM   
warspite1

Day 8

A day that started so well, but ended in disappointment. Two golds in Triathlon and Swimming were followed by a bronze for Emma Wilson in the Windsurfing, a second 4th place in the Rugby Sevens and then a bronze for Karriss Artingstall in the boxing. All three of the last named could have been better. We just have to hope that Emma's bronze kick starts some success in the Sailing.

The Triathlon gold was not wholly unexpected and it was great to see Johnny Brownlie complete the 'set' following his London bronze and Rio silver. Since the sport's introduction in 2000 Team GB has won the most gold medals (3) and the most medals (8) of any nation. The younger of the Brownlie brothers now follows big brother Alastair into retirement. Hopefully Alex Yee can continue to Paris 2024.

The Mixed Relay is such a cool idea - made interesting because the order that each goes in is up to the team. This means that there are huge gaps as the race progresses. So Team GB had a female swimmer - Kathleen Dawson leading off with backstroke (and they were solidly last after 100 metres), Adam Peatty then making up much of the ground with his incredible breastroke on the second leg, James Guy then building up a crucial lead over the Americans with butterfly on third, thus giving Anna Hopkin (freestyle) a chance on the final leg. The incredible US swimmer Caeleb Dressel had to hunt down Hopkin, but the lead was too great even for him (indeed the US team finished outside the medals).

The latest pool success means that we can at last put talk of 1908 to bed. Seven medals - four gold - is really encouraging. I've no idea how many of the current squad will continue to 2024, but hopefully the team can build on what is, for Team GB at least, a fantastic result.

The big concern is the lack of medal prospects in the athletics, and this wasn't helped by Dina Asher-Smith failing to qualify for the 100m and then pulling out of the 200m (it appears she got injured a few weeks before the games), although whether she could have medalled against the Jamaicans is not certain.

Medal count after 8 days = 8 Gold, 9 silver and 11 bronze

Team GB still remain in 6th in the medal table, but there are a number of nations behind them that seem to be getting into a groove....

Today in Bold

Gold - Adam Peatty (Swimming 100m Breastroke), Tom Pidcock (Mens Mountain Bike), Tom Daley/Matty Lee (Mens 10m Diving), Tom Dean (Swimming Mens 200m Freestyle), Dean, Scott, Guy, Richards (Swimming Mens 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay), Bethany Shriever (Cycling Womens BMX Racing) Dawson, Peatty, Guy, Hopkin (Swimming 4 x 100m Mixed Medley Relay), Learmonth, Brownlee, Taylor-Brown, Yee (Triathlon Mixed Relay)

Silver - Bradly Sinden (Men's Taekwondo - 68Kg) Alex Yee (Men's Triathlon), Lauren Williams (Woman's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Duncan Scott (Swimming Men's 200m Freestyle), Georgia Taylor-Brown (Womens Triathlon), Leask, Groom, Barras, Beaumont (Rowing Men's Qudruple Sculls), Mallory Franklin (Canoe Women's Slalom), Kye Whyte (Cycling Mens BMX Racing), Duncan Scott (Swimming Mens 400m Medley)

Bronze - Chelsie Giles (Women's Judo - 52kg), Bianca Walkden (Women's Taekwondo - 67Kg), Dujardin, Fry, Hester (Equestrian Team Dressage), Morgan, Kinsella, Gadirova Sisters (Women's Team Gymnastics), Charlotte Dujardin (Equestrian Individual Dressage), Matthew Coward-Holley (Shooting Men's Trap), Bryony Page (Womens Trampoline), Luke Greenbank (Swimming Men's 200m Backstroke), Bugajski, Dawson, George, Sbihi, Elwes, Wynne-Griffith, Rudkin, Ford (Rowing Mens Eight), Emma Wilson (Sailing Women's Windsurfing), Karriss Artingstall (Boxing Women's Featherweight)

Team GB are quite good at this Mixed Relay thingy!

Team GB are quite good at this Mixed Relay thingy part deux

A couple of bronzes - but the margins were fine and so a tale of what might have been for Emma Wilson and Karriss Artingstall....

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/1/2021 5:23:27 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 7/31/2021 8:47:29 PM   
rico21

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: Olympics sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. - 8/1/2021 12:46:41 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.

Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who was quoting someone else.

Eric Moussambani Malonga is proof of that and what he did after is also important.

Hey Ranger Joe,

Just wanted to say "Thanks" and "Way to go" getting that WitP2 thread shuts down.

Good job, bruh.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Olympics. Sports ONLY please - NO politics thank you. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI