Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/22/2021 12:09:55 PM   
ATENTOKO2

Hello to all,

I would like to know if I can load a save game in the Editors Program, and not only scenarios.

Or if there is a change that I can do, so the program tinks it is a Scenario.

Thanks for all

Andy
Post #: 1
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/22/2021 1:10:36 PM   
Cavalry Corp

No you can only load a scn.

Its a pain in the ... that we cannot make changes to data in game if that is what you are thinking.

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 2
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/22/2021 1:48:30 PM   
RangerJoe

The program does not stink. If you were playing against someone who loaded the saved game file and went through you side, how would you like that?

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 3
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/22/2021 2:10:06 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Agreed - I think what he means is correct something that is wrong for a game already in progress - or at least that is what I think he means...

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/22/2021 5:04:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ATENTOKO2

Hello to all,

I would like to know if I can load a save game in the Editors Program, and not only scenarios.

Or if there is a change that I can do, so the program tinks it is a Scenario.

Thanks for all

Andy

If you copy the scenario you are going to play before you start the actual game, you can save it to a new slot as your own version of that scenario (stock scenarios in slots 1-25 cannot be modified). After that, you start the game using your own scenario and there are some things that can be changed after the game has started and many things that cannot. Usually, active things like unit deployments and TF makeups cannot be changed during a turn but some static things can.

For example, I wanted to give Australia a little oil production so I changed the industry at a couple of bases to add the oil wells. I saved the changes to the scenario, and when I started the game using that scenario again it notified "Scenario has changed. Accept Changes - Y/N". So when I chose Y the oil wells were now operating where I put them. You can also play around with the numbers and types of devices on a ship when it upgrades, but if the upgrade for that date has already happened it will not take effect.

None of the above allows you to 'fix' something that happened as a result of play, like damage to a ship for instance.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 5
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/23/2021 11:51:35 AM   
ATENTOKO2

Hello BBfanboy,

The thing is, I would like to see one day of play and see if the changes I´ve done are ok. But I don´t know

how is this done.

I´ve been doing changes in LCU and aircraft that are attache to an HQ (R), for example the west coast.

I load up the scenario, make the changes with the Editor in the LCU page and change the "Static Attached", etc …

Then I open the scenario, play one or two days, and see if that changes are what I think must be change.

But I can not open again the "save" file with the editor and see/correct all the wrong things.

Can you explain me how can I do it?

Thanks for all,

Andy

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/23/2021 4:07:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hello BBfanboy,

The thing is, I would like to see one day of play and see if the changes I´ve done are ok. But I don´t know

how is this done.

I´ve been doing changes in LCU and aircraft that are attache to an HQ (R), for example the west coast.

I load up the scenario, make the changes with the Editor in the LCU page and change the "Static Attached", etc …

Then I open the scenario, play one or two days, and see if that changes are what I think must be change.

But I can not open again the "save" file with the editor and see/correct all the wrong things.

Can you explain me how can I do it?

Thanks for all,

Andy

You cannot change a game save file. You can only change the scenario data with the editor(unless it is one of the reserves scenarios in slots 1-25, which cannot be changed and saved as such). As I described, if you create your own version of a scenario and save it in a slot higher than 25, then start a game using that scenario you have some ability to change certain data after the game has started. If you started with a stock game scenario, you will not be able to make any editor changes and migrate them to the game. Not ever.

Think of it as layers - the game engine is the first layer - it does the calculating. The scenario chosen is the next layer - it contains the starting data. The saved game file is the third layer - it keeps the changes that have occurred from the start of the game, but you cannot make your own changes to the game save file - the game engine does that through its turn calculations and locks them into the saved game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 7
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/24/2021 10:37:59 AM   
ATENTOKO2

Hello again BBfanboy,

Sorry but I din´t quite understand you answer well. I´m not very Good with computers.

Can you explain me, step by step, (1. 2. etc...) how can I do the things you tell me here,

" If you copy the scenario you are going to play before you start the actual game,
you can save it to a new slot as your own version of that scenario
(stock scenarios in slots 1-25 cannot be modified). After that, you start the game using
your own scenario and there are some things that can be changed after the game has started
and many things that cannot.
Usually, active things like unit deployments and TF makeups cannot be changed during a turn
but some static things can.

For example, I wanted to give Australia a little oil production so I changed the industry
at a couple of bases to add the oil wells. I saved the changes to the scenario,
and when I started the game using that scenario again it notified "Scenario has changed. Accept Changes - Y/N".
So when I chose Y the oil wells were now operating where I put them.
You can also play around with the numbers and types of devices on a ship when it upgrades,
but if the upgrade for that date has already happened it will not take effect.

Thanks for all

Andy

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/24/2021 10:50:23 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Hello again BBfanboy,

Sorry but I din´t quite understand you answer well. I´m not very Good with computers.

Can you explain me, step by step, (1. 2. etc...) how can I do the things you tell me here,

" If you copy the scenario you are going to play before you start the actual game,
(stock scenarios in slots 1-25 cannot be modified). After that, you start the game using
your own scenario and there are some things that can be changed after the game has started
Usually, active things like unit deployments and TF makeups cannot be changed during a turn

For example, I wanted to give Australia a little oil production so I changed the industry
and when I started the game using that scenario again it notified "Scenario has changed. Accept Changes - Y/N".
You can also play around with the numbers and types of devices on a ship when it upgrades,

Thanks for all

Andy

I suggest that you look in the Scenario Design and Modding Forum for your answers.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 9
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/24/2021 2:54:31 PM   
Ian R

Expanding on what BBFB says:

1. If you use a scenario copied, and edited, in a saveable slot - above slot 25 - for a game, you can change scenario database items during a game started from that scenario.

2. You can change device specifications, and such edits will effect your in game devices. Beware, though, if you screw around with upgrade paths, you will get a flow on effect to TOEs, and end up FUBAR, unless you are right on top of what you are doing.

3. Broadly speaking, you can change aircraft type specs. Thus, you could change the Hellcat to fly at 420mph, or its replacement rate to some higher number (255 max). These will be taken up in the ongoing game.

4. Broadly speaking, you can change ship class specs. BBFB has said these will only be taken up on a future upgrade, but I do not 100% agree. Try changing the air capacity on an in-use carrier class and see what happens, as an example. However, BBFB is right in general terms. You can also create conversions for existing ship classes to other classes (including ones you create after the game started). It may be possible that you can change a device specification in a ship class armament slot - but not the number/turrets etc.

5. You can't change individual ships or airgroups (at least not directly, see point 3, conversions for an indirect route).

6. The Locations database contains ground units of all types, bases, and also TOEs. Most of this stuff you can't change once the game is running. But, you can, for example, as BBFB says, change daily arrival of supply/fuel at a base. Additionally, where a base already has some industry in a slot, you can change the amount of that ... but you can't add new industry items in new slots. You can also completely stuff up the TOES by making changes to device upgrade paths ... so don't do dat!

In my custom scenario, for the second edition, I have been working on a system where the US receive, from time to time, an AG clas ship, all named "Spare Hull II" at San Fransisco. These are a bare hull with conversion options to various CVL, CL, DD, PF (Tacoma) or a large LSM(R) assault ship, so the player has some flexibility as to what to do with them. Being a ~II name, you can change them to USS Sulaco, or as desired, the turn before arrival.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/25/2021 2:01:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hello again BBfanboy,

Thanks for all

Andy

Your questions suggest you think a scenario save file is the same as a game save file. It is not.
You started out asking about changing a turn file (game save) which suggests you have a game running. If you started that game from an official scenario (scenario slots 1-25) you will never be able to change it in any way. When you started the game the game engine made note of which scenario you were using and will always go back to that scenario for its data.

Since you cannot change the official scenario data and save it, you cannot change the turn to " fix something". But if you have saved your turns in the game save slots - there are 200 of them - you can go back to a previous saved game, change orders, and re-run the turn to get a better result if that is what you are trying to do.

To start your own scenario that you plan to modify, open the scenario Editor and then open a scenario that you want to work with. It will take a while to load all the data but once it does, save the scenario in another slot above 25. It is best to use the "Save As" option so you can give it a name like "My Scenario" to make it easy to find again.

Once you have saved the scenario, go ahead and make changes to the data to fix what you thought was not right. Look at each tab to see what is in there. For ships there is a tab for their specifications and a tab for the ship itself. Be aware that within the ship screen that shows all the device slots, there is a second page of device slots that may or may not have any data in it. The first page has slots 1-10 and a hypertext at the upper left that says 11-20. Click on the hypertext to flip to that page. For example, most of the carrier device slots are on the first page but the end of the second page always shows the torpedoes carried.

Only make a few changes at first, save the scenario again and then start a game using that scenario. If you see something else you want to change, save your game file and exit the game. Go to the Editor again and make the change in your custom scenario, save it, then restart your game and load the saved turn. During loading the game will give the "Scenario has changed" message. Just click Y, and the game will make the changes to the data in your saved game file and load it.

And as I said originally, not all changes you make in the scenario file will immediately migrate to the game save file. Things like in-game ship damage cannot be fixed from the scenario mod.

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 11
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/25/2021 8:11:32 AM   
ATENTOKO2

Hello BBfanboy,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Now I understand you ok.

The changes I would like to do are all related to restricted HQ´s and LCU´s, or in default, to bring more VP to change

LCU´s and Air Groups to another HQ and move them with more freedom.

Do you know if there is any other possibility to do this with a save game running?

Thanks for all. it is a very Good answer.

Andy

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/25/2021 10:57:19 AM   
Platoonist

quote:

Hello BBfanboy,

The changes I would like to do are all related to restricted HQ´s and LCU´s, or in default, to bring more VP to change

Do you know if there is any other possibility to do this with a save game running?

Andy

You would basically have to make all those modifications to a scenario and save it as a custom one before even starting a game. Once a scenario is underway as a saved game its numbers are pretty much set in cement.

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 13
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/25/2021 11:38:58 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hello BBfanboy,

Andy

Before starting any game, you can increase the daily PP allocation in the last tab where the game parameters are. Once you start a game with that scenario, the daily PP allocation is locked in and you cannot change it again during that game.

You can probably change the HQs of units in your and have that migrate to an underway game using the same scenario. You can definitely do that before the game is started.

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 14
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/26/2021 9:00:13 AM   
ATENTOKO2

Hello BBfanboy,

Sorry again but I don´t understand your last frase.

"You can probably change the HQs of units in your and have that migrate to an underway game using the same scenario."

So, is there a way to do it when youe have several days of playing a scenerio, or is imposible?

Thanks a lot,

Andy

quote:

You can probably change the HQs of units in your and have that migrate to an underway game using the same scenario.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/26/2021 2:38:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hello BBfanboy,

Sorry again but I don´t understand your last frase.

"You can probably change the HQs of units in your and have that migrate to an underway game using the same scenario."

So, is there a way to do it when youe have several days of playing a scenerio, or is imposible?

Thanks a lot,

Andy

quote:

You can probably change the HQs of units in your and have that migrate to an underway game using the same scenario.

It means what it says - I think making the change in your scenario file after starting the game will still be migrated to your saved game when you restart it. But I don't know for sure and I don't have a modded game running to check it. You can do that yourself if you have started your own scenario.

I know for certain that the HQ field can be changed in the editor, it's the migration to the saved game file that is in question. As I said before, some changes in the scenario file after game start will migrate, and others like PP allocation are not changeable after game start.

(in reply to ATENTOKO2)
Post #: 16
RE: QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM - 7/27/2021 11:49:14 AM   
ATENTOKO2

Thanks a lot for all your advice.

Thanks
Andy

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> QUESTION ON EDITORS PROGRAM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI