Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Scenario Data / Map Issues >> German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 5/5/2021 2:30:13 AM   
tm1

We have in game Soviet artillery regiments and in WITE1 there were actually whole Divisions.
Germany had one such unit the 18th Division which was formed from the disbanded 18th Panzer div.

Will this division be in game after the 1 Oct 1943 when 18th Panzer was disbanded ?.

Back in the WITE1 forum I read a post on that brought up the Soviet Sapper Armies now I know the game is not big enough to have every single unit that fought ever on the Eastern Front, but are these armies represented in any way shape or form in WITE2.

For a time in the order of battle in WITE1 The German East Prussia Armee became active in the April 1945 reinforcement schedule, it was actually 2nd Armee renamed, does this happen because I don't see The East Prussia Armee in the 1945 list ?.

Why do i ask about these things well

For 18th Art Div its kind of unique for Germany though it never reached full strength it would be interesting to still have it in game.

The Soviet Sapper and East Prussia units, mainly curiosity and a stickler for in game historical correctness to be honest.

But like I said its hard to have everything to the letter.

regards

Post #: 1
RE: German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 5/6/2021 1:50:58 PM   
Great_Ajax

I don't see this unit showing up in the 1941 Campaign game as the 18th Panzer will probably never be destroyed like it was in the actual campaign. I could see the need for an OB in a short scenario so that it is portrayed. I just don't have a lot of information on how it was actually used in combat and that makes me hesitate implementing it as a whole division sized element. The Germans just didn't mass their artillery the same way the Soviets did. In some of the original WitE scenarios, this unit was portrayed as their individual support units.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: tm1

We have in game Soviet artillery regiments and in WITE1 there were actually whole Divisions.
Germany had one such unit the 18th Division which was formed from the disbanded 18th Panzer div.

Will this division be in game after the 1 Oct 1943 when 18th Panzer was disbanded ?.

Back in the WITE1 forum I read a post on that brought up the Soviet Sapper Armies now I know the game is not big enough to have every single unit that fought ever on the Eastern Front, but are these armies represented in any way shape or form in WITE2.

For a time in the order of battle in WITE1 The German East Prussia Armee became active in the April 1945 reinforcement schedule, it was actually 2nd Armee renamed, does this happen because I don't see The East Prussia Armee in the 1945 list ?.

Why do i ask about these things well

For 18th Art Div its kind of unique for Germany though it never reached full strength it would be interesting to still have it in game.

The Soviet Sapper and East Prussia units, mainly curiosity and a stickler for in game historical correctness to be honest.

But like I said its hard to have everything to the letter.

regards

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 2
RE: German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 5/7/2021 1:14:17 PM   
tm1

Hi Trey
Your quite correct its a one of a kind unit for Germany and I completely understand your take on it not being included
My reasoning for it being in game was because it was a one of kind unique German Division.
But I can live with out it, I don't have much info about the unit myself apart from Wikipedia and history forum.
You would probably have more reference material then I ever will but I will send some links if you do view it worth entering in game even as a regimental asset.

cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_Artillery_Division_(Wehrmacht)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_Panzer_Division_(Wehrmacht)

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=218113

< Message edited by tm1 -- 5/7/2021 1:15:07 PM >

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 3
RE: German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 7/30/2021 7:34:29 PM   
DimDX59

2nd army was indeed renamed to East Prussian Armyat 7 April 1945, this is turn 198(8 April 1945) of game, according to site Lexicon of the Wehrmacht. It has number 00032, East Prussian has number 00044, may be rename event could be added at turn 198?

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 4
RE: German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 7/30/2021 9:26:22 PM   
Great_Ajax

Situational renames based on geography is difficult to do in this game. Yes, it is very easy to do the rename but what if the Soviet Armies don't arrive in Prussia until July 1945? What if the 2nd Army is deployed by the Player in Hungary on 7 April 1945. Honestly, it would be better to allow the player the option to change these names as they see fit. Forcing the renames doesn't always work out well.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: DimDX59

2nd army was indeed renamed to East Prussian Armyat 7 April 1945, this is turn 198(8 April 1945) of game, according to site Lexicon of the Wehrmacht. It has number 00032, East Prussian has number 00044, may be rename event could be added at turn 198?

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to DimDX59)
Post #: 5
RE: German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies - 7/30/2021 10:18:22 PM   
DimDX59

I agree

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Tech Support >> Scenario Data / Map Issues >> German 18th Artillery DIV and Soviet Sapper Armies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI