Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW2 FAQ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 6/9/2021 12:43:59 AM   
StormingKiwi

Mods are independent of the developers, so the question is unanswerable.

(in reply to proxomat)
Post #: 241
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 7/13/2021 8:51:40 PM   
RogalDorn

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I did not find anything when searching.
Will there be an option to host populations permanently in orbit?
O'neill cylinders, Starbases, that sort of thing as an alternative (or in addition) to planets? I'm a fan of Isaac Arthur and I would love a game that reflects the reality that building more habitable area is well within an interstellar civilization's capabilities.

(in reply to proxomat)
Post #: 242
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 7/30/2021 11:51:31 PM   
Key1001

Will Sol be added?
If not, oh please add Sol.

(in reply to RogalDorn)
Post #: 243
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/2/2021 9:40:59 PM   
thegreybetween

Will DW2 feature an in-game galactopedia? The video clips show that there are a lot of nice contextual pop-ups when new info is discovered, and that looks very helpful. But I've always quite enjoyed going down rabbit holes in the DW:U galactopedia and I'm hoping that DW2 includes a similar feature.

(in reply to Key1001)
Post #: 244
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 6:19:54 PM   
ncc1701e

Is it still possible to start the game pre-warp?

Will we have cloaking device for our ships?

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to thegreybetween)
Post #: 245
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 8/4/2021 7:53:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galaxy227
As map sizes get larger, do you find DW2 stressing your CPU mostly, or does the application become more RAM-hungry? (I'm sure it's a bit of both, but I'm curious which one is especially the case).

As it is 64-bit, multi-threaded and using 3D graphics now, it's quite different from DW1. I tend to see the load shared pretty evenly between CPU and GPU and not maxing either out. It will use more memory for larger games and galaxies of course, but while system memory is no longer a limitation as it was with the old 32-bit engine, it's also more memory-efficient than it was, relatively speaking, but it is more hungry for video memory than the old engine, which really didn't care.

quote:

Edit 1: One more question! I just got done watching the second showcase frame-by-frame for the first time. I noticed tiny ships, no larger than fighters, which appeared to be moving back and forth between a mining base and its respective gas giant. Are these little vessels physicalized mining ships, or am I mistaken and they're actually fighters? (For reference, I'm referring to 3:30 in this video).

Those are drones, basically little shuttles that are used for various tasks. For example, in the new video you'll see assault shuttles heading out of those Mortalen Troop Transports to invade the planet. You'll see mining drones flying between a mining station and a planet. Boarding pods will board enemy ships, construction drones will be used to build/repair ships and stations, etc.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 246
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 8/4/2021 7:56:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Handbanana
Is it possible to construct bases with multiple roles?
Like giving a starbase both tourism and mining capabilities at the same time?

You could theoretically do that. By default, you'd end up building a mining station and a resort base at that location, but it should be possible if the base can fit all the necessary components for it to be able to handle both. I'd need to check on whether the role logic would fully support that though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Handbanana)
Post #: 247
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 8/4/2021 7:57:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reed1981
Will colonies also consume resources for building cities, infrastructure and whatever else a colony needs? Considering all the resources we have already consumed on our planets, one can imagine what will be consumed in Distant Worlds 2 during the construction phase of colonies, or will this be brought into line with the private economy and offset? ok, on second reading I read that: Ensuring a good supply of construction and luxury resources for good development and happiness. Which resources are used there? Are they produced by the planet itself or do they have to be transported from other sources. thanks for your Time!

Yes, colonies require a certain amount of construction and luxury resources to be provided to ensure good development, growth and happiness. Some they can provide from their own resources, others need to be brought to them from other sources. Having a well functioning economy that can bring all the desired resources to all your colonies makes a huge difference in your economic output.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Reed1981)
Post #: 248
RE: DW2 FAQ/QnA megathread - Ask your question here! - 8/4/2021 7:59:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tank Commander_MatrixForum
1. My fleet could arrive at an enemy base / planet yet none of my ships could attack almost as if they had no weapons or munitions of any kind
2. I could arrive an enemy base / station etc with troop transports with troops yet be unable to invade
Is this now resolved?

I'm not sure what caused the issue you are referring to, but the code has been completely rewritten from the ground up and I have not seen issue #1 or #2, as long as ships have fuel and valid designs and are loaded with troops.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 249
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 7:59:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogalDorn
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I did not find anything when searching.
Will there be an option to host populations permanently in orbit?
O'neill cylinders, Starbases, that sort of thing as an alternative (or in addition) to planets? I'm a fan of Isaac Arthur and I would love a game that reflects the reality that building more habitable area is well within an interstellar civilization's capabilities.

Not in this initial release, with the exception of space stations of various kinds, but those are not on the population scale you're discussing.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RogalDorn)
Post #: 250
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 8:00:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Key1001
Will Sol be added?

You should play through the Human faction story once DW2 is released.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Key1001)
Post #: 251
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 8:00:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreybetween
Will DW2 feature an in-game galactopedia? The video clips show that there are a lot of nice contextual pop-ups when new info is discovered, and that looks very helpful. But I've always quite enjoyed going down rabbit holes in the DW:U galactopedia and I'm hoping that DW2 includes a similar feature.

Yes, it will.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to thegreybetween)
Post #: 252
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 8:01:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e
Is it still possible to start the game pre-warp?
Will we have cloaking device for our ships?

Yes to both, in fact the stealth tree is a bit expanded from DW1 and we also have more levels of fog of war than DW1 did. More on that in a future diary.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 253
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/4/2021 10:36:17 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Key1001
Will Sol be added?

You should play through the Human faction story once DW2 is released.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 254
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 7:19:19 AM   
ncc1701e

Sol, this is great. With all planets?

Thus another question: how many moons possible for a given planet?

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 255
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 12:27:39 PM   
ncc1701e

Also, the in-game musics of DW1 were quite nice. Did you keep some of them in DW2? Or did you rewrite everything?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 256
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 1:10:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Also, the in-game musics of DW1 were quite nice. Did you keep some of them in DW2? Or did you rewrite everything?

DW2 has a completely new and original soundtrack.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 257
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 4:43:41 PM   
ncc1701e

Thanks, on the galaxy map, we are seeing plenty of solar systems. But, is it not planned or maybe in a future DLC to have big nebulas that could disturb long range scanners? These nebulas could hide few solar systems on the galaxy map until explored.

Post #: 258
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 4:55:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Thanks, on the galaxy map, we are seeing plenty of solar systems. But, is it not planned or maybe in a future DLC to have big nebulas that could disturb long range scanners? These nebulas could hide few solar systems on the galaxy map until explored.

Actually, in DW2 at release we have four different kinds of nebula, with different effects and we also have the capability for systems to be hidden in nebulas. Some types not only interfere with your sensors but can actively damage your ships!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 259
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 5:00:48 PM   
ncc1701e

Awesome Erik, one last question: guess what I will order my wife for Christmas?

Post #: 260
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 5:18:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Awesome Erik, one last question: guess what I will order my wife for Christmas?

Could it be DW2? It's the perfect gift!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 261
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 6:57:38 PM   
Webbco

Will there be a greater variety of and depth to discoverable events/abandoned ships, etc? Will there be secrets hidden in deep space?

Post #: 262
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 8:05:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco
Will there be a greater variety of and depth to discoverable events/abandoned ships, etc? Will there be secrets hidden in deep space?

Assuming you turn on the main and faction stories, there's a lot more to discover. The main story is basically equivalent to what was the default story in DW1, but with more locations and events. The faction stories go well beyond that, similar to an expansion story for each faction. Even with both turned off, there are still special locations, ruins, etc.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 263
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/5/2021 8:39:57 PM   
ncc1701e

I am starting to dream of a planet in a solar system hidden in a nebula that can damage ships.

Only when you have shields tech level 25, you will be able to enter this nebula and this solar system just to find out that the ancients have left a guardian to destroy any intruders trying to steal their last secrets...

Post #: 264
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/8/2021 5:38:31 PM   
ncc1701e

Any technology to counter long range scanners? I don't remember, did not play DWU since Warplan...

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 265
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/8/2021 8:15:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, Stealth technologies can greatly reduce the power of sensors/scanners. In DW2, ships/bases have the following states:

1. You don't know anything is there
2. You know something is there and its approximate size
3. You know something is there, its approximate size and what empire it belongs to
4. You know #3 + what role it is (what type of ship, what type of station) and all the basic info that goes with that
5. You know #4 + You can see its full component details as well (requires a Trace Scanner)

In DW1, we only had #1, #4 and #5. Sensors on their own based on diminishing power will create these "bands" of lower knowledge so that the closer something gets to your sensor, the more you will know about it. Stealth can greatly affect that, even to the point where you never really get full info about it, just maybe #1-3, until it's on top of you and attacking you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 266
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/8/2021 9:40:27 PM   
martok

^ That is most excellent to hear. I like that DW2 has that level of gradation in sensors -- and that stealth technology can effectively counteract it.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 267
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/9/2021 2:31:29 AM   
Tanaka

Regarding events and randoms- Will we finally be able to turn off those free super powerful derelict ships just lying around waiting to be found to destroy game balance? In DW1 if you turned off stories and events I believe they were still placed randomly on the maps. Please say yes...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 8/9/2021 2:41:33 AM >

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 268
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/9/2021 10:58:37 AM   
Cauldyth

Hmm, will it be possible to spec out a ship that completely masks its empire of origin, even if it attacks? One of the coolest aspects of DW is that combat doesn't automatically trigger war. It would be an interesting form of subterfuge to anonymously raid your opponents shipping lines.

Post #: 269
RE: DW2 FAQ? - 8/10/2021 9:36:56 AM   
Galaxy227

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Hmm, will it be possible to spec out a ship that completely masks its empire of origin, even if it attacks? One of the coolest aspects of DW is that combat doesn't automatically trigger war. It would be an interesting form of subterfuge to anonymously raid your opponents shipping lines.

This is actually a really great idea, but would be annoying if impossible to counter. I suggest a technology that is capable of detecting these "undetectable," anonymous ships. You can prey on those unfortunate enough not to have said technology, but for those that do...

< Message edited by Galaxy227 -- 8/10/2021 9:37:13 AM >

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> RE: DW2 FAQ? Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI